Start by marking “Budo: Teachings of the Founder of Aikido” as Want to Read:
Budo: Teachings of the Founder of Aikido

Budo: Teachings of the Founder of Aikido

Morihei Ueshiba is rightly known as one of the world's greatest martial artists for his creation of aikido, the synthesis of his superb technique and his profound spiritual insight into the nature of the universe. Aikido is much more than just another fighting style, it is a holistic approach to life that Morihei described as "a divine path inspired by the gods that leads ...more
Published July 15th 1996 by Kodansha (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Budo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Budo

Jonathan
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
The content of this book is excellent giving a background to the creation of aikido. From the viewpoint of Morihei Ueshiba and one of his sons. My only minor issue is that the way in which the photographs of the techniques have been shot does not make it particularly easy to work out how to execute those techniques. Obviously this book is in all likelihood a companion work to actually studying aikido with a qualified instructor.
Bernie Gourley
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those interested in the life and thoughts of Morihei Ueshiba.
Shelves: martial-arts
This book is really three separate booklets bound into one. In this case, I believe the three parts work together quite well, and it doesn’t feel like a trick of padding to make a pamphlet into a salable book. I only mention this to point out that the three sections are quite different on several levels (i.e. authorship, subject, and content), and to put the reader on notice of it.

The first part is an “Introduction” by Kisshōmaru Ueshiba. The reason I put introduction in quotes is that it’s rea
John
Feb 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Aikidokas
There are two parts to this book, the word and the pictures. Yes, yes, yes, they are inseperable and manifestations of the same energy. Being a novice and a beginning practioner I take the luxury of ignorance and I say there is a dicotomy.

The written word tells of O'Sensei's life and philosophy. His humanistic universality. His spiritualism. WuWu stuff way over my head. Perhaps the more I practise the more possibility I may be affected spiritually, but I wouldn't hold my breath. In fact holding
Tamara
Feb 15, 2012 rated it liked it
The formatting of this book, as translated, is very awkward and makes it tedious to read. Footnotes would have been much preferred to endnotes, and it would have been preferable to read definitions of key terms in the introduction rather than waiting until the body of the book. All editorial issues. The actual introduction provided by Ueshiba's son was very interesting, and brief enough that I think I'll need to find some supplementary materials. Ueshiba's writing was a bit beyond me at this sta ...more
Charles Bland
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Budo is Ueshiba at his prime during the late 30s while solidifying the Daito-ryu aiki-jujutsu teachings of Soukaku into what would become aikido. Much of what is shown in this book can be seen today in Iwama-ryu aikido which is closer to Ueshiba's early aikido from the 40s.

This is an essential book for anyone interested in the history of aikido whether you practice or not.
Art
Jan 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
The introduction by his son Kisshomaru Ueshiba, sums up the basic biography of the Founder. I found the photos of a younger Morihei to be very informative. In addition, his emperor oriented poetry gives us a glimpse of a different mindset. The evolution of Aikido did not just occur in the techniques.
Julie
Nov 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Liked the book. Interested in Aikido and wanted to learn more about it.
A Blane
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have the hardcover of this and found it very interesting, but not very helpful as a text to improve technique.
Bob
Jul 07, 2012 added it
Shelves: martial-arts
Necessary reading for any aikidoist.
Alexisdeoz Enriquez
Jul 10, 2013 marked it as to-read
fgdfgdgddfd
Juan
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful book. Buyer beware, I highly recommend you to read it until you are an accomplished (at least) Aikidoka with Shodan.
Depth Chargz
  • Secrets of the Samurai: The Martial Arts of Feudal Japan
  • The Demon's Sermon on the Martial Arts
  • Bruce Lee Jeet Kune Do: Bruce Lee's Commentaries on the Martial Way
  • The Bible of Karate Bubishi
  • The Power of Internal Martial Arts: Combat Secrets of Ba Gua, Tai Chi, and Hsing-I
  • The Life-Giving Sword: Secret Teachings from the House of the Shogun
  • Best Karate, Vol.1: Comprehensive
  • Code of the Samurai: A Modern Translation of the Bushido Shoshinshu of Taira Shigesuke
  • Analysis of Shaolin Chin Na