Start by marking “The Art of Peace” as Want to Read:
The Art of Peace

The Art of Peace

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  2,817 Ratings  ·  199 Reviews
The real way of the warrior is based on compassion, wisdom, fearlessness, and love of nature. So taught the great Morihei Ueshiba (1883–1969), founder of the Japanese martial art of Aikido. Aikido is a disciple Ueshiba called the “Art of Peace.” It offers a nonviolent way to victory in the face of conflict, and he believed that Aikido principles could be applied to all the ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Shambhala (first published November 10th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Peace, please sign up.
Iris It's the Ensō, a symbol in Zen Buddhism. It stands for enlightenment, strength, elegance, the universe, and mu (the void).

Michaela
Nov 03, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: philosophy
Because: The Walking Dead...
Red Panda
Oct 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not gonna lie; I picked up this book after watching the episode of The Walking Dead that it featured heavily in. I'm glad I did.

While I can do without its talk of 'divinity', I found a lot of its teachings and philosophy really interesting and, funnily enough, in line with the state of mind I've been trying to cultivate and maintain for the last year.

Having turned forty, I find that peace is the state I enjoy the most. I had a mini-revelation a few weeks ago when I realised I'd rather sit on
Martin
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Granted this is not a Japanese original print of Ueshiba's words. Still it's a decent translation, and does collect many of the concepts that are often discussed in advanced aikido classes or seminars.

For those of you that have never heard of aikido, do not be turned off so quickly. This book reads like short reminders of for better living. If you have more time, explore his words more carefully and you might discover a universe of questions that arise from his words.
Charlie
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Morihei Ueshiba was ahead of his time in preparing for a crowded, difficult world and his philosophy is extremely refined, non-dogmatic zen buddhism. Unfortunately his legacy has been held to an almost radical traditionalism regarding his teachings through the practice of the art of Aikido. Fortunately, his words transcend the quasi-militarism of the modern "martial arts" describing a state of as near perfection for an individual's potential being as possible.

One of the few books that deserves
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Your greatest opponent is always yourself...this book (although focused on Aikido) will help anyone find the 'centering' that is so important before any action is taken which could be used against you if not properly contextualized.
Jeremy
Dec 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Excellent bookend to the Tao Teh Ching...and good for any aikidoka (or any martial artist for that matter) in making peace and harmony an overarching goal in the struggle of the everyday.
Patrick Gibson
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: truth_sort-of
A page a day spiritual affirmations like:

"Eight forces sustain creation:

got it?
Jason
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
As a daily practitioner of Aikido, having access to the philosophy of the spiritual warrior, in the founder's own words, has been invaluable to me. I carried the pocket edition with me during my travels in Japan, Thailand, India, and back. It is a great book in understanding how to practice life in the world. Let me know if you need a copy. :)

There is also a copy I have that has all the sayings on a CD that's nice to have around. I don't remember if the tracks worked for the pages well, but it w
Miloš Vasić
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The book that changed my life !
Emelia
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Morihei Ueshiba is a Master of Aikido ( translated as The Art of Peace ) as well as it's creator and remains the most profound martial arts teacher known. The Art of Peace contains quotations that have been compiled from his collected talks, poems, and calligraphy by his students. The great Masters refrain from writing books, preferring to speak from the moment as they feel it is up to their students to listen carefully and discern what their master is saying and then pass it on. And so I have r ...more
Naomi
Dec 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Lots of wisdom to meditate on in this relatively slim volume of teachings from the Aikido master Morihei Ueshiba. Although I can't lift a suitcase (Morihei Ueshiba's definition of someone strong enough to practice Aikido), I still observe lots to learn from a great teacher.
k.wing
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I hope to revisit this little book often. I found that the passages toward the end resonated with me the most. That the Path is the responsibility of the individual, the focus on mastering one's own self, and also finding the connection in all things.
Anne Marie
Is great even just to open at any page randomly each day and meditate on what you find there
Andy
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I want to learn Aikido now.
Karl
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prior to discussing content, it is important to note that ‘The Art of Peace’ is literally a ‘pocket book’ - with the physical dimensions being ~ 2.5x3.5x.5 inches (~ 5.5x8x1 cm). Consistent with the small physical size, the thoughts/aphorisms contained in this book, acquired ‘…from Morihei’s collected talks, poems, and calligraphy, and from oral tradition’ are also very brief – most being a sentence or two in length. Translation of the material was provided by John Stevens: a Zen scholar and Aik ...more
Biniam Biniam
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biniam
The Art of Peace is a "spiritual technology", which allowed individual persons to better cope with THEIR life. The moral standpoint of martial art of aikido sought the enlightenment of the individual and caring mostly not about politics. In art of Aikido, the focus is on the cultivation of the mind and behavior patterns consistent with spiritual goals. Moral questions on violence The samurai is handed down to us as a symbol of the Japanese warrior tradition and although he greatly from its weste ...more
Tanvika
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting book on the traits of a warrior to emerge victorious over himself. Martial arts like aikido here is used to create a mind- body balance, movement like water, rain,birds etc very much inspired from the way of Zen. I think these virtues of calm, fearlessness, endurance, rhythm can be useful in everyday life as well.
★ℕłℂØℓҾ★ (Nix)
"When you lose your desire for things that do not matter, you will be free."

This is the passage that resonated most with me.
Dania
May 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Read & apply..
Morgan
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed, translation
I don't know really anything about this book or the writer, just saw this in the house and thought it would be a nice quick read, I actually really liked it and thought it was motivational at times.
Edilson
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the greatest books for Martial Arts practitioners, written by Morihei Ueshiba, Aikido’s creator.

“The Way of the Warrior has been misunderstood as a means to kill and destroy others. Those who seek competition are making a grave mistake. To smash, injure or destroy is the worst sin a human being can commit. The real Way of a Warrior is to prevent slaughter - it is the Art of Peace, the power of love”
Geraldo Nogueira
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I confess that I was interested in the book because The Walking Dead. I didn't know about it before.

As the name implies, the book tries to teach the reader The Path, everything regarding balance, non-violence, to be grateful for all hard comings we all experience, because it makes you stronger.

It's the sort of book you always come back and get reminded of a positive perspective of life.
Jake
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious-books
Deep read. I got a lot out of it and many of the principles are similar to Christianity. Others made me consider how I move forward in my own battlefields. I would love to read more about Morihei Ueshiba's life as it sounds like he lived a full an interesting one.
Bernie Gourley
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: martial-arts
The edition of The Art of Peace that I read is divided into three parts. Part I is a brief biography of Morihei Ueshiba, who was known as Ō-sensei to Aikidō practitioners and other admirers. Part II contrasts the art of war to Ueshiba’s art of peace. Part III is a collection of aphorisms and brief statements outlining the art of peace.

Ueshiba is the founder of Aikidō, a martial art that was derived in part from Daitō-ryū Aiki-jūjutsu, but which is distinct from that art in many ways. (e.g. the
SaraLaLa
Nov 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: informational
If you'd like a page-a-day philosophical affirmations book, then this one's for you. I don't mind the bite-sized chunks this book can be broken into, but for the most part, the subject matter isn't my cup of tea. Several quotes did stand out to me, though.

-"Be grateful even for hardships, setbacks, and bad people. Dealing with such obstacles is an essential part of training in the Art of Peace."

-"Failure is the key to success; each mistake teaches us something."

-"Fiddling with this and that te
Hayley Shortt
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Art of Peace is a collection Ueshiba's teachings of overcoming aggression in the face of conflict to achieve victory, which can also be applied to all other challenges of life.

I read this book cover to cover the first time around, essentially in one sitting. The second time, I took my time. I read one or even a few passages and allowed myself to sit and meditate on it, pray on it, whatever verb you wish to attach to it.
Personally I believe that no matter what religious affiliation you have
Daniel
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Art of Peace was written the founder of Aikido, a martial art which utilizes an opponent's aggression to neutralize them. The tactics are not unlike those espoused by Sun Tzu, which emphasize the fluidity of attack and defense. Using a smile to overcome aggression. The fighting style is a metaphor for dealing with conflict in general and follows many Asian precepts. The philosophy espoused has great applicability to dealing with everyday conflict and dovetails into martial and meditative pra ...more
Rick Marcello
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Let me make this clear. I believe that Jesus Christ is God, Lord, and Savior. What does this have to do with this book? Well the Art of Peace is the basically the philosophy behind the martial art Akido. When I read the book I found it to be very poetic. With that being said I disagreed on a some serious religious and philosophical points. The one that stood out to me was the open denial of Christ and His Way. The book itself again was a quick and excellent read. But if you are not studying the ...more
Jun 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book! It has really short, bite-sized chapters that are still inspirational, no matter how many times I read them. This book was the first gift the Senseis gave me at the end of my first year at the dojo, and reading it made a great impact on my life and my attitude. Ueshiba wrote it for practitioners of his art (Aikido), but it applies to all aspects of life, martial and non-martial.
Scott
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had previously read The Art of War and after discovering this book I decided it was only right that I also read this little book. Discovered it via The Walking Dead. A wonderful short read with some very good life lessons.
WHAT IS PEACE for YOU ? 2 6 May 22, 2015 06:51PM
  • The Spirit of Aikido
  • Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere: An Illustrated Introduction
  • Living the Martial Way: A Manual for the Way of Modern Warrior Should Think
  • The Demon's Sermon on the Martial Arts
  • The Life-Giving Sword: Secret Teachings from the House of the Shogun
  • The Unfettered Mind: Writings of the Zen Master to the Sword Master
  • Code of the Samurai: A Modern Translation of the Bushido Shoshinshu of Taira Shigesuke
  • Zen in the Martial Arts
  • Aikido and the Harmony of Nature
  • Secrets of the Samurai: The Martial Arts of Feudal Japan
  • Bushido: The Soul of Japan. A Classic Essay on Samurai Ethics
  • Zen and Japanese Culture
  • The Way of Aikido:  Life Lessons from an American Sensei
  • The Sword and the Mind, The Classic Japanese Treatise on Swordsmanship and Tactics
  • Karate-Do: My Way of Life
  • The Zen Way to Martial Arts: A Japanese Master Reveals the Secrets of the Samurai
  • The Lone Samurai: The Life of Miyamoto Musashi
  • Striking Thoughts: Bruce Lee's Wisdom for Daily Living
“As soon as you concern yourself with the "good" and "bad" of your fellows, you create an opening in your heart for maliciousness to enter. Testing, competing with, and criticizing others weakens and defeats you.” 63 likes
“When you bow deeply to the universe, it bows back; when you call out the name of God, it echoes inside you.” 26 likes