Start by marking “The Twelfth Angel” as Want to Read:
The Twelfth Angel

The Twelfth Angel

"A very special story about life and love and courage."
MERLIN OLSEN, SPORTSCASTER
John Harding had a high-powered career, a loving wife, and a beautiful son. He's lost it all and has returned to his home town of Boland, New Hampshire, teetering on the brink of suicide. But an old friend asks John to manage his old Little League team, the Angels. Reluctantly, he agrees, and
Published August 27th 1996 by Ballantine Books (first published April 13th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Twelfth Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelfth Angel

Start your review of The Twelfth Angel
gaby anne
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
my dad got me a ratty old copy from some secondhand bookstore, and if i lost it i'd hate myself for the rest of my life. this is one of those books that will stay with me forever, both emotionally and physically, ie. if my copy were to just randomly disintegrate i'd immediately go out and buy a new one.

a lot of people would probably classify og mandino as "aunterature," which is a term i just made up denoting literature that an aunt would read, and is a subgenre of "chicklit". that being said,
Jessica Lu
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
A fine story touches my heart.

It is written in a simple non-decorative style, so it is easy to finish within a few hours.

The image of this strong-minded and always smiling boy stays clearly in my mind shouting "never give up! and "I am better at every level everyday!" There is so much we can learn from him, a truly beautiful soul!
Jesha
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chew
This was my older brother’s required reading in high school. I don’t fully recall what’s in it, but I know I gota special kind of strength from it. It taught me to take things one at a time. After all, Day by day, in every way, I’m getting better!

Truly one of my frequent childhood rereads. <3
Annika Spencer
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was excellent from the beginning. I think we all can in some way relate to John Harding. I have learned a truly invaluable lesson from little Timothy that no matter what it is important to stay positive and Never Give Up, because "Day by day in every way I'm getting better and better!"
Olivia Bruns
I really enjoyed the plot line to the book but found the whole story and how it was told to be very boring. There was not much excitement except towards the very end but the rest of the book had no excitement or attention grabbing moments.
Ryan Finlayson
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An inspirational story. Even in times of hardship there is always something worth fighting for. One must never give up in what they are striving for!
Mary Lou
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It grips you from the very beginning. A story of courage and pain. Never - never- never give up.

Quotes:
You can see further through tears than with a telescope

Qualities of good leadership: Compassion understanding setting a good example cooperation, teamwork, reaching forward, mutual goals, encouragement, praise and always striving to improve

I've never seen anyone or anything beat you, Ive never seen you give up just be yourself, you can handle this problem

Day by Day in every way, I'm getting bet
Derek Wilker
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. I rated The Twelfth Angel four stars. It started with how John's wife and son died in a car crash and he was thinking about suicide. His old friend, Bill West, had came to talk to him. Bill convinced him to be the manager for the little league team that they used to both play on, the Angels. He met a boy who gave John his life back. He taught John to never give up. The book kept you hooked and made you want to read the next chapter. The book started with a tragedy and how he d ...more
Domenic
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I can’t help my tears from falling down into my cheeks. This book of courage and optimism keeps every reader to stand in every challenge that may come towards the way. This very special book is highly recommended to everyone who lacks motivation in life. This book inculcated in my heart these 8 words that I should keep saying to myself everyday. “Never… never… never… never… never… never give up.”, as what Tim always says.
ryanjay Florentino
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It is one of he best book I ever read. I love the way Og Mandino encoraged me to live my daily life to its fullest. "Everyday I bacame better and better." No matter how huge the tossing storm of life is I will "never, never,never, never, never give up."
Clayton Tune
Dec 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Touching story. One of his more recent. Unlike his others, this one focuses completely on the tale and not ways to better yourself. If you're in the mood for something light, moving and inspirational, this is always a nice choice.
Jacqueline
Sep 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great book for boys. Fun to read as a family. Great lessons on life.
Patty
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
A friend gave me this book and I was determined to finish it. Now I have.
Michelle
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Probably my all-time favorite book! Og Mandino writes an incredibly, wonderful story about the strength of human nature. A must-read!
Joy
Aug 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Timothy didn't have to..shouldn't have..aaaack.
Joseph Knecht
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A touching story about a boy who learned to never, never give up. Even if all odds are stacked against you, don't be discouraged. Do your best and happiness and joy will find you along the way. And even if it doesn't, enjoy the ride and do your best. That is a sign of a truly virtuous character.

In this short narrative story, after surviving a terrible tragedy, John finds inspiration for life through the twelfth angel. The angels are a baseball team which John is coaching. The last and smallest
Matt Leiv
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Amazing and powerful tools, self-motivators. They could be a miracle treatment for so many if only we could get more people to believe in the mysterious power contained in simple words."

Not a deep self help type book, more of a long story about overcoming obstacles and persisting with a positive attitude despite the circumstances.

It's an easy read, starting with a man on the brink of suicide and following his path back to recovery through coaching youth baseball, and some unsolicited help from
Pooja Gajipara
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Written in very simple, non-fancy style, it is a very easy read. It is a heartwarming story of Belief and Courage. How a successful man on the verge of committing suicide finds a ray of life in a little kid & learns life’s best lessons. This was one of very few books that has literally left me in tears because of its beautiful yet equally heartbreaking end.. If you're in the mood for something light, moving and inspirational, this is the perfect choice! A quick and feel good read. ...more
Mary Gerzema
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an inspirational story that will lend to a kleenex about how one boy changes the life a man who lost his son and wife in a car crash. John Harding had it all and in a split second everything was gone and he was contemplating suicide. Enter Timothy Noble, a young boy who was awkward but gav his best on the little league baseball team. Their relationship and story will touch your heart.
Laurie Mcclary
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a nice quick easy read. Nothing deep or dramatic. It is a nice reminder of how positive and never give up cliches can impact your life. The story is predictable and has a lot of baseball that I skimmed through.
Nicky Billou
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is my favourite Og Mandino book, and I wish he lived another 20 years to write a bunch more like it.

If you've never read this boo, do yourself a Gabor and pick up a copy. You'll be glad you did.
Gift Cristine Dorothy
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book really moved my soul. From the start to the very end! I almost cried in the beginning, and in the end, I cried buckets of tears! Mr. Og Mandino’s works really touch readers heart and soul. If I could rate more than 5 stars, I surely would! ❤️❤️❤️
Vidya Sagar
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another wonderful read. Og Mandino is one those authors who make you weep while teaching you a very valuable lesson of a life time.
Read this book to know the power of "Never give up" attitude. Be awestruck by the simplicity of the characters and the message of the book.
Julia Hazlet
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Emotional story but Og Mandino teaches lessons about life SO UNBELIEVABLY well. I'm not telling you anything about this, but you should read it.
Mal Kelly
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic story of despair and redemption with the unlikeliest of saviors. "Day by day in every way I'm getting better and better."
Rob
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Og Mandino could have written a phone book in crayon and I would have given it 5 stars. This was slightly predictable, but no less heartwarming. Loved it.
Jennifer Heyde Denham
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book about overcoming tough situations in life and finding a way to see the Good in life.
Cade Haughenbury
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was very good and would recommend it to anyone who likes a good story and a strong message. I liked it because there is a good message about working hard no matter what.
Shambre
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The second book to ever put tears in my eyes. This book now has a place in my heart.
Phil Hardin
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the second greatest book I have ever read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Joshua
  • The Analyst
  • Juventud en éxtasis
  • Donde habitan los ángeles
  • We Saw Heaven: True Stories of What Awaits Us on the Other Side
  • The Art of Theological Reflection
  • The Story of Helen Keller
  • Double Fudge (Fudge, #5)
  • The Mystery of Cabin Island (The Hardy Boys, #8)
  • Home Alone
  • Isadora Moon Goes to School (Isadora Moon, #1)
  • Bucéfalo, memorias del caballo de Alejandro (Spanish Edition)
  • Poesía completa
  • El ojo de cristal / Charlie saldrá esta noche
  • Rimas y leyendas
  • Nuestras Sombras
  • Los hijos del capitán Grant En América del Sur (Los hijos del capitán Grant, #1)
  • Lovebook
Augustine "Og" Mandino II (December 12, 1923 – September 3, 1996) was an American author. He wrote the bestselling book The Greatest Salesman in the World. His books have sold over 50 million copies and have been translated into over twenty-five different languages. He was the president of Success Unlimited magazine until 1976 and is an inductee of the National Speakers Association's Hall Of Fame. ...more