Start by marking “The Twelfth Angel” as Want to Read:
The Twelfth Angel

The Twelfth Angel

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  1,609 Ratings  ·  129 Reviews
"A very special story about life and love and courage."
MERLIN OLSEN, SPORTSCASTER
John Harding had a high-powered career, a loving wife, and a beautiful son. He's lost it all and has returned to his home town of Boland, New Hampshire, teetering on the brink of suicide. But an old friend asks John to manage his old Little League team, the Angels. Reluctantly, he agrees, and
Published August 27th 1996 by Ballantine Books (first published April 13th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Twelfth Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelfth Angel

Jessica Lu
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
A fine story touches my heart.

It is written in a simple non-decorative style, so it is easy to finish within a few hours.

The image of this strong-minded and always smiling boy stays clearly in my mind shouting "never give up! and "I am better at every level everyday!" There is so much we can learn from him, a truly beautiful soul!
Annika Spencer
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was excellent from the beginning. I think we all can in some way relate to John Harding. I have learned a truly invaluable lesson from little Timothy that no matter what it is important to stay positive and Never Give Up, because "Day by day in every way I'm getting better and better!"
Taylor
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just wow. This was such a moving book that gripped me from the beginning. I became so invested in the characters in such a short amount of time and by the end I was in tears because of how beautiful and heartbreaking this was. Definitely a must- read for everyone, especially those who are losing/have lost hope. This book will stay with me for a long time.
g
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
my dad got me a ratty old copy from some secondhand bookstore, and if i lost it i'd hate myself for the rest of my life. this is one of those books that will stay with me forever, both emotionally and physically, ie. if my copy were to just randomly disintegrate i'd immediately go out and buy a new one.

a lot of people would probably classify og mandino as "aunterature," which is a term i just made up denoting literature that an aunt would read, and is a subgenre of "chicklit". that being said,
Mary Lou
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It grips you from the very beginning. A story of courage and pain. Never - never- never give up.

Quotes:
You can see further through tears than with a telescope

Qualities of good leadership: Compassion understanding setting a good example cooperation, teamwork, reaching forward, mutual goals, encouragement, praise and always striving to improve

I've never seen anyone or anything beat you, Ive never seen you give up just be yourself, you can handle this problem

Day by Day in every way, I'm getting bet
Derek Wilker
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. I rated The Twelfth Angel four stars. It started with how John's wife and son died in a car crash and he was thinking about suicide. His old friend, Bill West, had came to talk to him. Bill convinced him to be the manager for the little league team that they used to both play on, the Angels. He met a boy who gave John his life back. He taught John to never give up. The book kept you hooked and made you want to read the next chapter. The book started with a tragedy and how he d ...more
Imogen Kathleen
Aug 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: cry-worthy-books
I didn't particularly enjoy the writing style of this book (or the baseball elements, though I am not a sporty person so that may explain it?), but I will admit that I was reduced to ugly-crying tears by the end of this book. In my opinion, if I was moved enough to cry, I was emotionally connected to the characters and the book warrants atleast 3 stars for that.
Sadly, my copy was borrowed from a friend, though I really want to track one down for my shelf.
Domenic
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I can’t help my tears from falling down into my cheeks. This book of courage and optimism keeps every reader to stand in every challenge that may come towards the way. This very special book is highly recommended to everyone who lacks motivation in life. This book inculcated in my heart these 8 words that I should keep saying to myself everyday. “Never… never… never… never… never… never give up.”, as what Tim always says.
ryanjay Florentino
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It is one of he best book I ever read. I love the way Og Mandino encoraged me to live my daily life to its fullest. "Everyday I bacame better and better." No matter how huge the tossing storm of life is I will "never, never,never, never, never give up."
Clayton Tune
Dec 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Touching story. One of his more recent. Unlike his others, this one focuses completely on the tale and not ways to better yourself. If you're in the mood for something light, moving and inspirational, this is always a nice choice.
Monica
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Preparate con una caja de pañuelos a un lado tuyo, es un relato conmovedor de como valorar tu vida en toda adversidad que se te presente; me agradó este libro te lo avientas super rápido, fácil lectura y con un mensaje para llevarlo todos los días.
Recomendable.
Patty
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
A friend gave me this book and I was determined to finish it. Now I have.
Jacqueline
Sep 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great book for boys. Fun to read as a family. Great lessons on life.
Joy
Aug 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Timothy didn't have to..shouldn't have..aaaack.
Igor Stojanov
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A touching story about a boy who learned to never, never give up. Even if all odds are stacked against you, don't be discouraged. Do your best and happiness and joy will find you along the way. And even if it doesn't, enjoy the ride and do your best. That is a sign of a truly virtuous character.

In this short narrative story, after surviving a terrible tragedy, John finds inspiration for life through the twelfth angel. The angels are a baseball team which John is coaching. The last and smallest
Pooja
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Written in very simple, non-fancy style, it is a very easy read. It is a heartwarming story of Belief and Courage. How a successful man on the verge of committing suicide finds a ray of life in a little kid & learns life’s best lessons. This was one of very few books that has literally left me in tears because of its beautiful yet equally heartbreaking end.. If you're in the mood for something light, moving and inspirational, this is the perfect choice! A quick and feel good read.
Mary Gerzema
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an inspirational story that will lend to a kleenex about how one boy changes the life a man who lost his son and wife in a car crash. John Harding had it all and in a split second everything was gone and he was contemplating suicide. Enter Timothy Noble, a young boy who was awkward but gav his best on the little league baseball team. Their relationship and story will touch your heart.
Laurie Mcclary
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a nice quick easy read. Nothing deep or dramatic. It is a nice reminder of how positive and never give up cliches can impact your life. The story is predictable and has a lot of baseball that I skimmed through.
Monk
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Og Mandino could have written a phone book in crayon and I would have given it 5 stars. This was slightly predictable, but no less heartwarming. Loved it.
Mal Kelly
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic story of despair and redemption with the unlikeliest of saviors. "Day by day in every way I'm getting better and better."
Shambre
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The second book to ever put tears in my eyes. This book now has a place in my heart.
Jesse
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book.
Isabella A. Campbell
Muy emotivo, me encantó!!!
Cade Haughenbury
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was very good and would recommend it to anyone who likes a good story and a strong message. I liked it because there is a good message about working hard no matter what.
Julia Hazlet
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Emotional story but Og Mandino teaches lessons about life SO UNBELIEVABLY well. I'm not telling you anything about this, but you should read it.
Jennifer Heyde Denham
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book about overcoming tough situations in life and finding a way to see the Good in life.
Sophie Muller
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
7-word summary:
Death - baseball - training - problems - "Never give up!"

Discussion question: When faced with a problem, how do you react?
My answer: First I try to see if the problem is really a problem: sometimes, it's a situation I'm just not familiar with. If it's really a problem, I take a deep breath, take all the steps to solve it while remembering my sister's wise words: "This too shall pass!"

Comments:
I was deeply moved by this book for the tragic, fun and simple moments it depicts. Best o
Anita
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One man, stricken with grief and seeking to end it all, is given a ray of hope when he is asked to coach a Little League Baseball team. His angel is not of the caliber of that from 'Angels in the Outfield', but in the form of an 11-year-old boy. Being completely unfamiliar with the game of baseball, I missed out on the action in the play-by-play recount of some of the games.

The essence of the story is in Albert Schweitzer's quote: "At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark fro
Denisse
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Let's face it. Og Mandino's books are short but is very inspiring.
This is a very expensive book for a kid like me back then.
I remember saving my allowance lol.
This is a story of a man who plans to commit suicide but was changed when his life was touched by the hands of his twelfth angel. The twelfth angel is very sick but he still wants to play baseball.
It is a beautiful read and it will prove to you that children are gift from God. And though they are small,fragile, and innocent, they have th
Victor Hugo Bravo Durán
Fue una recomendación de mi abuelita y debo agradecerle por una historia tan linda para comenzar el año, es un libro realmente corto y muy simple pero con grandes enseñanzas y aprendizaje. Aunque el estilo del autor es muy básico logra transmitir tantas cosas con personajes tan especiales y muy bien construidos. Espero pronto poder leer otro libro de éste autor porque la lectura es muy fresca y ágil.
  • What You Say is What You Get
  • How To Start A Conversation And Make Friends
  • Man of Steel and Velvet
  • Top Performance: How to Develop Excellence in Yourself and Others
  • Silver Boxes: The Gift of Encouragement
  • Mentor: The Kid & the CEO: A Simple Story of Overcoming Challenges and Achieving Significance
  • The Gift
  • How to Think Like a Millionaire
  • God's Armor Bearer
Augustine "Og" Mandino II (December 12, 1923 – September 3, 1996) was an American author. He wrote the bestselling book The Greatest Salesman in the World. His books have sold over 50 million copies and have been translated into over twenty-five different languages. He was the president of Success Unlimited magazine until 1976 and is an inductee of the National Speakers Association's Hall Of Fame. ...more