Start by marking “Don't Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability” as Want to Read:
Don't Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability

Don't Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  27,055 ratings  ·  1,844 reviews
Five years and more than 100,000 copies after it was first published, it's hard to imagine anyone working in Web design who hasn't read Steve Krug's "instant classic" on Web usability, but people are still discovering it every day. In this second edition, Steve adds three new chapters in the same style as the original: wry and entertaining, yet loaded with insights and pra ...more
Paperback, 2nd Edition, 201 pages
Published August 28th 2005 by New Riders Publishing (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Make Me Think, please sign up.
Thomson Muriyadan It's mostly focused on web and by extension mobile applications (digital interfaces). It also covers the importance and basics of usability testing.

Ca…more

Can't be compared to Design of Everyday things which is a general design related book.(less)

·  27,055 ratings  ·  1,844 reviews

Start your review of Don't Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
Kian
May 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Well, this is an absolute gem of a book. I picked this up the day after finishing Beautiful Code and to be honest, really wasn't in the mood for any more particularly heavy content for a few days.

But Steve Krug makes the topic of web usability genuinely entertaing. He holds a light writing style with a touch of wit that helps to keep your attention from cover to cover. Add to that the short size of the book at only a couple of hundred pages, and the vibrant but clear layout and you've got a book
Keyo Çalî
a pensive book for developers
Every developer needs to read it.
It makes me think deeply about usability and accessibility.
For example, after I read a chapter on accessibility, I decided to design a website that could be helpful for blind people. Its main purpose is to help us have a better life. Because we use the software more than anything else now. You are reading my review on a website or on an application. Steve Krug's style makes me have a smile on my face while reading and understand it ve
Leonard Gaya
I read this handbook on Web usability for work related reasons. It was originally published in the early 2000’s, shortly after Jakob Nielsen’s Designing Web Usability. Both Krug and Nielsen have since become (along with Steve Jobs and Jony Ives, at Apple) the head honchos of Web Design.

This short and highly readable book covers topics such as: how people really use websites (they don’t actually read, they like to scan and browse mindlessly… but we already knew that, didn’t we?), how to design na
Sean Besser
May 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
MUST READ for anyone with any say over the look & feel of a commercial web page (designers, managers, marketing people, executives, etc.). It's a quick and easy read and is like having my own web usability consultant.

Goodreads and LOTS of other sites should have their managment teams read this.
Katelyn Jenkins
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: web-dev, non-fiction
Quick, thorough, and to the point, as it suggests. Even inspired me to write a review, on the web. I don't even NEED to think twice to say this was a VERY GOOD * e^3 read!!

It really is a book that can stand the test of time, though all three iterations, it keeps the tone and message: "good web design starts with instinct of the user."

Krug's book focuses on web usability, fundamentals of good design, and user experience testing. Every web designer should get their hands on this as it is a referen
Baba
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Subtitled - : A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability... This second edition of what could be considered the definitive book on web design. A must read for both professionals and enthusiasts. 8 out of 12.
Mohamed
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a great guideline for anyone who is interested in designing websites and products. full of great examples and clear explanations. BUT the book is a little bit outdated especially the mobile view part.
Graham Herrli
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: design-related
I was predisposed in favor of this book because it's the most-voted-for on the UX Stack Exchange. It wasn't all I'd hoped it would be. If this were the first text about usability I'd read, I might have gotten more out of it. As it was, the overwhelming majority of the topics presented seemed patently obvious to me.

One thing this book has going for it is its brevity. Before agreeing to publish a second edition, Krug insisted upon first discovering what could be removed from the first edition so t
jasmine sun
realizing i have this problem with ux books where the core principles are all so obvious/intuitive that they feel impossible to retain and apply — perhaps one simply must Learn By Doing
Sandro
Jan 16, 2013 rated it liked it
What I liked:

- The simple language used to explain normally complex matter;

- The good humour, examples and metaphors the writer uses to explain things. They really work.

Now the bad parts:

- I find the information in the book to be a little too simplistic and common sense. Even for people with only interest on the area of web usability they may find that they already know, or at least thought in a very similar way when they browse daily;

- I understand that this isn't a scientific book and the aut
Maitland Gray
Sep 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
“Usability is about people and how they understand and use things, not about technology.”

An essential book for anyone working on websites. The book title is the main point, but Krug does a good job at explaining how to go about doing web usability well. My favorite analogy is treating a website like a well organized store (like Lowes). A person can walk into a store and easily navigate it to accomplish the task at hand. We need to make sure websites are set up to do the same.
Muthazhagu Palanisamy
Sep 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is what it states - a common sense approach to web usability.

The book lays bare the facts, that -
1. Users do not read the text in a web page.
2. Users muddle through a web page, no matter how well thought out the layout, and menus are.
And as a designer, your task is to take these two facts into account when designing your website.

The author, Steve Krug, is very perceptive. While this is evident throughout the book, what did it for me was the footnote about the Site ID being on the top
C
Jun 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
An excellent introduction to creating usable websites. As the title states, every website’s design and functionality should be so simple that people barely need to think to use it. The book’s 2nd edition is from 2005, so some examples are dated, but the concepts are quite relevant. This was a fun read due to its straightforward style and Krug’s humor.

When I started looking for web design books, Steve Krug’s classic on web usability frequently appeared at the top of most lists, along with Designi
Louise
Oct 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
The book was a short, quick and easy read that can easily be finished on a plane ride. It's in full color with a couple of helpful diagrams, but I mostly found the comics in it annoying and patronizing. A lot of what Krug brings up in the first half seems like common sense, but he does delve deeper into some points, which may be helpful for some.

The most valuable information I found in Don't Make Me Think was the little quizzes in the middle of the book where readers are presented with sample we
Melissa
4.5 stars. I’ve been busy traveling for work and not getting the chance to read as much for fun, but managed to read the update to this timeless reference book for basic website (and now mobile) usability. It’s very basic (and even calls itself out as such), but I think it’s a great introduction to the areas of web and mobile usability and is something anyone who is a fan of well-designed products would enjoy!
Doc
Nov 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
Ironic that this book makes the reader think - think about design and views on life, all at once. An excellent book for stimulating the brain to think and view the world in new ways.
Mr. Banks
May 31, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design-and-ux
I’ve been working in software for my entire professional career. Except for the past year, I’ve been a backend software engineer for backend code in data platforms, web apps, and operations. Throughout my years as an engineer, I’ve neglected studying design. It’s always been the elusive facet of product development that Ive appreciated, but never come to understand.

I’ve dabbled in different design tools to create sample mockups for products I wished to build, but I always copied what looks good
Tony
Dec 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Books about design need to pass one critical test. They must be well-designed, and this book is. Among the bits of knowledge Krug sprinkles, good web design is like the layout in a big box store, you should be able to look up and find signs that point you in the right direction. There is one crucial different between a brick and mortar store and its online counterpart: if you can’t navigate your way to what you want in a store, you can always ask someone. On the web that’s not possible, so web s ...more
Karen Chung
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this book, Krug shows you how to make things easy for visitors to your site by making sure everything on it is obvious at a glance and easy to find and get to. And he practices what he preaches - I picked this book in large part because of its clear, attractive, reader-friendly design. It's a quick read, but you may want to take your time on it a bit to make sure you fully register everything he says.

There are applications of what he says far beyond web design. I teach pronunciation, and know
Jaana
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can’t believe I hadn’t read this book before. I remember seeing the cover _everywhere_ for a long time but never looked into what it was. Anyhow. It’s about web usability and damn is it good.

It is well written, easy to understand and most things are not surprising at all, but the way they are packaged and presented leaves an impact.

Each paragraph has a short list of things that the reader could easily implement, leaving the feeling that improving is actually easy or at least starting is easy
K.M. Weiland
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After this book arrived, I realized it was the first-edition, which I assumed would make it woefully outdated in our fast-moving digital world. Still, I jumped in--and was surprised to discover that almost all of its information remains pertinent and valuable. Granted, many of its examples are of long-outdated sites (including--fascinatingly--Amazon's early days). But it's amazing how the basic principles have changed not at all. I picked up several interesting insights and tips and found the wh ...more
Asif
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book. Written in a casual tone but still hones in on the most important issues of website design. As a non tech person I was amazed by how easily I understood the content.
Alexandre Ramalho
Apr 26, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for any developers that want to take a look inside a user's head, better understanding their behaviors and how to influence them.
This should be a reference book, read from time to time.
David
Apr 21, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some perennial tips for streamlining UX online, but much of it feels dated since websites have made way for web applications.
Valeria Zschaeck
For what is worth, I think the information is very useful and some of it is kinda up to date but at the same time it is mostly about web design. If you are looking for info/advice for platform UX this is not a book for you. It took me more than a year to finish it since it wasn’t that interesting for me and what I’m working on.
Ani
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, practic, easy to read! Surely recommend developers and designers.
Kaitlin CU
Jul 20, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Conversational and helpful! I will loan this out to my coworkers (I’m at an ecommerce agency) with the note that there are some outdated thoughts but overall good ideas.
Book Calendar
Sep 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Don't Make Me Think A Common Sense Approach To Web Usability, Second Edition, Steve Krug-- Review

Don't Make Me Think is a book about web usability. Usability is basically how easy it is too efficiently use a website. It tests how to make a website easier for the average visitor.

This book gives you insights into how to make a website easy to use. The first principle is to make your website as obvious as possible. For example, if the visitor is looking for employment information, it should use the
Yevgeniy Brikman
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice overview of basic usability principles for building user interfaces. The call for do-it-yourself user testing is extremely important, though ignored or unknown to many companies. The sense of humor is great and the advice is fairly actionable and easy to follow.

The only downside (and hence a 4 star rating) is that the book could use more real world examples. Seeing many more screenshots of websites that do something well, side by side with those that do it poorly--or better yet, examples
J. Pedro
Jan 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
What comes to your mind when you think about usability in web design? “Less clicks is better”? “Design to the average user”? “Content is king”? “Users leave your website if it doesn’t load in X seconds”? If you take any of these as a rule for your websites then you need to read this book: Don’t Make Me Think, by Steve Krug.

The Book

Although usability is becoming more and more popular among web projects these days, it is still an underrated feature. In this book, Steve Krug explains usability in a
Goodreads Librari...: Super-librarian, please separate editions! 2 21 Dec 15, 2019 08:54AM

• The Design of Everyday Things
  • 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People
  • Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products
  • Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • The User Experience Team of One: A Research and Design Survival Guide
  • The Elements of User Experience: User-Centered Design for the Web
  • About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design
  • Universal Principles of Design: 100 Ways to Enhance Usability, Influence Perception, Increase Appeal, Make Better Design Decisions, and Teach Through Design
  • Refactoring UI
  • Laws of UX: Design Principles for Persuasive and Ethical Products
  • Thinking with Type
  • Atomic Design
  • Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites
  • Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
  • UX for Beginners: 100 Short Lessons to Get You Started
  • Solving Product Design Exercises: Questions & Answers
  • Articulating Design Decisions: Communicate with Stakeholders, Keep Your Sanity, and Deliver the Best User Experience

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
See top shelves…
Steve Krug (pronounced "kroog") is best known as the author of Don't Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability, now in its third edition with over 600,000 copies in print.

His second book is the usability testing handbook Rocket Surgery Made Easy: The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Finding and Fixing Usability Problems.

The books were based on the 20+ years he spent as a usability consultant

News & Interviews

“It doesn’t matter how many times I have to click, as long as each click is a mindless, unambiguous choice.” 17 likes
“Don't make me think” 14 likes