Start by marking “Mama Does Time (A Mace Bauer Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mama Does Time (A Mace Bauer Mystery, #1)

Mama Does Time

(A Mace Bauer Mystery #1)

Meet Mama: a true Southern woman with impeccable manners, sherbet-hued pantsuits, and four prior husbands, able to serve sweet tea and sidestep alligator attacks with equal aplomb. Mama's antics - especially her penchant for finding trouble - drive her daughters Mace, Maddie and Marty to distraction.

One night, while settling in to look for ex-beaus on COPS, Mace gets a fra
Published October 8th 2008 by Midnight Ink (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mama Does Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mama Does Time

Start your review of Mama Does Time (A Mace Bauer Mystery, #1)
Mark Baker
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, mystery
Mace Bauer's quiet evening at home is interrupted when her mama calls from jail. It seems that Mama found a dead body in her trunk, and naturally the police think that makes her the prime suspect. Can Mace prove otherwise? This is a fun debut filled with wonderful characters. I did feel the pacing was a bit slow, but overall, I enjoyed it.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Susan
Feb 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It's great to find an author you really like. This is the first in a series, and I'm really looking forward to the next one. The three Bauer sisters worry about their southern mama, and after four husbands, who can blame them? The middle daughter, Mace, is the narrator; she's the only unmarried girl, and is fiercely independent. When a murdered body is found in Mama's trunk, the new detective in their small Florida town arrests Mama. Mace is furious--but she also finds Carlos Martinez very, very ...more
Pearl Barley
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is my first step into the Mace Bauer mysteries and I'm so very glad I took that step. Mace's mama is locked up for a crime she obviously didn't and couldn't have committed, but it's the journey to first convince the authorities that it simply COULDN'T have been mama - the said authorities stubborn to a fault because of circumstantial evidence - and then also to find out who DID do the deed. Mace wants to clear her mother's name and find the culprit. There are many enjoyable twists and turns ...more
Jeri
Jun 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun entertaining read!
Suka
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
The review on this book describes it as "Agatha Christie meets My Name is Earl," so I just had to check it out. Fun and funny, quirky characters, numerous suspects, clever twists.

Take four-foot-eleven, thrice married, Southern belle Mama, who is arrested when a dead body is found in the trunk of her car. Add her three completely different daughters to set out to solve the murder, since the police are convinced that Mama is involved. More crimes are committed as the killer tries to stop them. Ad
Heidi
Jan 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was really good I will be reading more of deborah's writing as the heroine is fiesty with a perchant for getting into problems with wild animals as she works at a natural wild life preserve in Florida.
Ann
Mar 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Just met this first-time author at Birmingham's Murder in the Magic City. Great gal, good writer (her background is crime reporting), and much humor! She's being compared to Anne George, one of my faves! Watch for her second book this summer.
Ottilee B.
I didn't know who did it! I got caught up in the story and how each character was spot-on as to people I know or met in my life! I enjoyed this book a LOT and want to read more by this author. Recommended with a cherry on top!
Patty
Oct 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
First in the Mace Bauer Mystery series, Deborah Sharp has written a good mystery with excellent characters and personalities. Mace is the middle daughter of Mama, Rosalee Devereaux. Older sister Maddie and younger sister Marty round out the family.

When Mama makes a stop at the local Dairy Queen and is in a minor accident (a young girl hits her car from behind)the fun begins. When her trunk is opened there is a dead man in it and Mama is arrested by new-to-town Detective Martinez.

Now Mace and the
✨ Gramy ✨
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
‘Mama does Time’ is the first book in this series. It’s based on a southern Mama with three adult daughters. Maddie is the oldest child is controlling. Mace is the middle child and the narrator. Marty is the youngest child and is usually quiet and alluring to the opposite sex. Mama and Mace are not currently married. Mama gets picked up for suspicion of murder when a dead body is found in her trunk. Mace questions people all over town trying to clear her Mama’s name and nearly loses her life tr ...more
Amber Adamchuk
Apr 19, 2012 rated it liked it
I was told to read this by a friend at work....I was not disappointed. It was a fun read, entertaining family and dynamics. It's set in a small town in Florida, they gossip at the hair salon and the new pastor is a dirty old flirt, with an unholy desire to be the next big tv evangelist.

The story has some funny parts, the main character Mace is a curious kluts which is entertaining along with her being the middle sisters, and the fun that entails.

There are twist and turns in this mystery, I woul
Victoria Allman
Sep 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
How can you not love Mama? Southern church-going opinionated mama who can't seem to stay out of trouble--doesn't everyone know a mama? This funny story is sharply written and thoroughly engaging. You'll want to loose yourself in Mamas life and that of her three girls.
Brooke
Dec 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Oh my gosh this is a fun book. The town in the book is based off of Okeechobee. It starts out with the main character heating up some fried chicken, about to watch cops to see if she can spot any ex-boyfriends on there!!
Sue Jaffarian
Jul 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I had the privilege of reading an advance copy of this book. If you like smartly written, hilarious books, this is for you.
Abigail
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: work-books
Fine, I guess.
Kathy Davie
Jan 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, homey
First in the Mace Bauer mystery series about a woman, her two sisters, and her easy-goin' Mama in a small town in Florida.

My Take
It's a classic with the innocent mama arrested when a dead body is found in the trunk of her car. The mean ol' big city detective who arrests her can't be moved to mercy...even when all three widely different daughters come rampaging down to the station. Unexpectedly overwhelmed, Detective Martinez takes his frustrations out on the girls and mama causing the girls to b
Spuddie
Sep 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
#1 Mace Bauer mystery set in central Florida. Mace works at a local wildlife park and is dismayed one September morning to get a call from her Mama saying she's at the jail--the dead body of a man was found in the trunk of her car when she came out of the bingo parlor and she's been hauled in for questioning. Mace rallies with her two sisters, Maddie and Marty, and they essentially overwhelm the police station trying to get her out. Detective Carlos Martinez, new in town from Miami, locks Mama u ...more
Vickie
Aug 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
People, people, people!! If you dig a supremely funny and well thought out mystery, get this book! I laughed myself pee-less throughout my time. It was my bedside book, so I went to sleep each night with a big grin on my face.
I was pleased with how the main character became an amateur sleuth. Mace knows Mama did not murder the man found in her trunk and, so, is drawn into the investigation to protect her mama from the big bad big city police detective newly arrived from Miami.
Mace and her sist
Greg Rothenberger
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book had two things going for it: it's a light, cozy mystery and it's set in Florida. Those are both pretty high on my list of favorite things. Fortunately, it also had well-written (although frequently irritating) characters who were overall pretty like-able. If you like quirky characters (I do). The setting, in rural south Florida, was very well described. It's clear the author knows her locale, which she should, since she lives there. The plot was fairly standard, although I wouldn't cal ...more
Suspense Magazine
Feb 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Ever wonder what the world is really like behind the commercial mask of Mickey and Disney friends down in Florida? Wonder no more. Deborah Sharp weaves an extraordinary tale of a family in a small back-woods Florida town in her new comedy driven mystery Mama Does Time.

Mace Bauer, the middle child of Rosalee Deveraux, seems comfortable with the title of “normal” in this unconventional clan and is stunned when her mother calls to inform her of her trip to the “slammer” for murder. From the first
Holly
Oct 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-books, mystery
Set in rural south central Florida, Mace Bauer (no relation to Jack Bauer!) works in a wildlife refuge park. She receives a phone call from her mother who is in jail because a dead body was found in the trunk of her convertible. And so the story begins. Who is he, is Mama innocent? How about her yankee boyfriend. The new detective in town is convinced Mama did it, even if everybody else thinks she is a sweet little old lady. Mace and her sisters think the NYC boyfriend did it. (well he is writte ...more
Marla
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Two of my coworkers have Kindle's and have been loaning each other this series, so I downloaded the Kindle for PC program and just finished this, first, book.

It was okay. The thing that stuck out to me is that I never thought of Florida as a big cattle place but the characters visit a cattle sale barn and one of the characters/suspects is/was a rodeo rider. That doesn't have much to do with the story, but it's one of things that stuck out to me about the story, which might say something about th
Cheryl
Oct 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: cozy mystery readers
Shelves: mystery, humorous
This is a really cute mystery. I like the heroine, who gives talks to school kids and tourists at a wildlife attraction and who's rather shy with people. She eats fast food, another plus, and loves her mama.

The mystery part went well - I didn't figure out what was going on till the end - but other parts didn't. I had trouble believing Mama got arrested simply because she and a friend found a body in her car trunk. And the detective, an ex-Miami cop, acted pretty unprofessionally when he slapped
Michele
Oct 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
A light fun read! I downloaded this book onto my nook because it was free and I wanted something to read on an airline flight. I was surprised when I almost didn't want to close the book and get off the plane because the author had pulled me in and I wanted to keep reading to find out what was to happen next! The characters are well developed and so different from each other that keeping them apart in my mind was very easy, even with the distractions of airports and airplanes. I also liked the f ...more
Michael McLean
Nov 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
An amusing mystery set in the cattle country of south central Florida, Mama Does Time follows a murder mystery among the pastel pant suited set there. Some of the "southern fried" accent the book is dipped in seems a bit over the top to me. And i grew up in a Florida town much like the setting Almost caricature. Still entertaining and the heroine shows promise. I'm not sure where the series could go from here unless the three Bauer sisters become embroiled in every mysterious homicide that takes ...more
Nell
Sep 07, 2011 rated it liked it
I think this book suffered in translation. It was a fun read but felt really odd. The characters names, voices etc didn't match the physical descriptions. I was confused and disorientated which distracted from the story. Perhaps it's because I'm from the UK but I have read a lot of US set books, write books for the US market and have visited the US - even so the setting and people in this story might as well have been from another planet.
Jean
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Easy read. A bit of romance and a murder to solve. One of those books where you keep reading with the thought it is maybe going to get better. Story takes place in a small town in Florida. A dead man is found in the trunk of Mama's car. Mama is put in jail as a possible suspect. With the aid of three wacky daughters, a retired New York policeman, a former Miami policeman and a fiancee, Mama is able to prove her innocence and discover who committed the murder.
Jannie
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I grew up in South Florida and love the way the author weaves the location into her story. Makes me feel like I am back home.
I also love the sense of humor. Mama is a hoot and Mace is extremely likeable. I can't wait to read the rest of the series.
Lisa
Dec 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: author Sue Ann Jaffarian
Shelves: kindle-freebie
Mace tries to find the true killer when a body is found in the trunk of her mom's car. This is my first book by this author. I enjoyed the likable characters in the small town setting and would give this book three and one-half stars. I look forward to reading more about Mace and her sisters.
Janeene
Sep 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
fun, new mystery - will read 2nd one in series when comes out in 09 -had hoped it would have more of a "Evanovich" kick to it....but it does have potential.

Goodreads Librari...: 9780738720234 4 23 Aug 19, 2014 04:13PM

• Death by Dumpling (A Noodle Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Due or Die (Library Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Books Can Be Deceiving (Library Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Book, Line and Sinker (Library Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • Read It and Weep (Library Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • Nothing More Dangerous
  • On Borrowed Time (Library Lover's Mystery, #5)
  • The Final Reveille (Living History Museum, #1)
  • Sucker Punch (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #27)
  • The Final Tap (Living History Museum, #2)
  • A Murderous Relation (Veronica Speedwell, #5)
  • Verse and Vengeance (Magical Bookshop, #4)
  • Mums and Mayhem (A Magic Garden Mystery #3)
  • Truelove & Homegrown Tomatoes
  • Kids' Random Acts of Kindness
  • Angels at the Table (Angels Everywhere, #7)
  • Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake
  • Practice to Deceive
Like the main character in her funny, Southern-flavored mysteries, Deborah's roots were set in Florida long before Disney and ''Miami Vice.'' A native and former reporter for USA Today, she knows spots not found on maps: Molasses Junction. Muse. And now, Himmarshee, her own slice of Authentic Florida.
It's the setting for her Mace Bauer Mysteries, featuring Mace's wacky ''Mama.'' To create it, Deb

A Mace Bauer Mystery (5 books)
  • Mama Rides Shotgun (A Mace Bauer Mystery, #2)
  • Mama Gets Hitched (A Mace Bauer Mystery, #3)
  • Mama Sees Stars (A Mace Bauer Mystery, #4)
  • Mama Gets Trashed (A Mace Bauer Mystery, #5)