Start by marking “Love Is Love” as Want to Read:
Love Is Love

Love Is Love

Le 12 juin 2016 à Orlando, en Floride, 49 personnes furent assassinées en raison de leur identité sexuelle. Aujourd'hui, le monde des comics se réunit pour soutenir les survivants et honorer la mémoire des victimes de l'attentat du Pulse. Auteur(e)s et artistes du monde entier, inspirés par cet événement tragique, livrent dans ce recueil des histoires inédites. Ils y expri ...more
Published December 2017 by Bliss Comics (first published December 28th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Love Is Love, please sign up.
Kristin Hey, I'm not /completely/ sure about your question here, but I think you're wondering how to read the books on goodreads? It's something I was…moreHey, I'm not /completely/ sure about your question here, but I think you're wondering how to read the books on goodreads? It's something I was confused about at first.
You don't actually READ the books on goodreads, but it is a place to explore, find new books, meet people interested in the same things.... It's basically book social media ^_^
Hope this helped!(less)

Nat
Love Is Love is a collection of one- to two-page stories about the tragedy that took place on June 12, when 49 people were killed when a gunman opened fire in Pulse, a gay nightclub in Orlando. It includes stories that mourn the victims, examine love and celebrate the LGBTQ+ community.

To say that I was anticipating this would be understatement – Love Is Love had incredible potential to become a complete game-changer. But I quickly found that instead of targeting its focus on highlighting #ownvoi
Leah
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cishets who want to feel like allies
TW: aphobia, transphobia, biphobia, rape apologism, ableism

---------

I wanted to love this anthology. It's a great idea to show love and solidarity in the aftermath of such hateful terror attacks, and to be quite honest, I was hoping it would be a light in the dark hellscape we're currently living in.

But it's not. This whole collection is chock full of issues, which I'll list and expand upon below:

1. The title is aphobic. The anthology has been advertised as depicting stories of romantic love, a
Aydin
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: straight people?
Boy, am I tired after reading this anthology. I gotta say, when I read that this book would "mourn the victims [of the Pulse shooting], examine love and celebrate the LGBTQ community," this is not what I imagined.

Based on the joyful and optimistic cover image, I expected an emphasis on joyful and optimistic stories about LGBTQ indivuals, or else honest and insightful stories reflecting the range of LGBTQ experience, with some reference to the shooting. I knew that many of the contributing creato
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Read this in tribute to the Orlando victims, in protest of legislation removing hard won rights for LGBT people, for love that is revolution. But keep a box of tissues handy, as in more than one.
James DeSantis
Let me be clear, as what this graphic novel stands for and the donations towards it all this is a 10/5. This is special. This is something only goodhearted people can create.

Now the stories.

Some of them just didn't connect. Some felt a bit repetitve. I get that, it's supposed to be the writers own views on it, but some just didn't gel well with me. I didn't feel like they had the right mindset. Also some didn't connect on the level of the events and what happened for me.

On the flipside the go
Calista
I thought this was an amazing tribute. There is a lot of love in this book. This is a collection of 1 and 2 page stories to support people hurting from the Orlando Pulse Shooting. Writers from everywhere contributed, all in love.

I'm going to start with my complaint. The stories were too short. I wanted to stick with a story for a few pages. There should have been a story or two that was the anchor for the other short stories.

Ok, that is my only complaint. The rest - amazing. So many emotions ra
Liam
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though there were some stories better than others in here I just couldn't give this anything less than 5 stars!

It was so powerful and it really did have an effect on me when reading. At times, I could only read a few pages a day because it had such a hard impact on me and was really pretty emotional!

The stories were beautifully drawn and beautifully told and it was awesome to see some familiar faces in the stories too, such as dc characters and even the riverdale group!

This book will nev
Neil (or bleed)
Love wins!

But this graphic novel. Not so much.
Miriam
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic
It probably goes without saying that this is a tear-jerker. I don't recommend it for reading on your commute, coffee-break, or at time when you are likely to be repeatedly interrupted by someone asking technical questions.

The entries are all short, one or two page spreads. Of course the quality varies, but I thought it was generally high, remarkably so given that the contributors apparently whipped it out in a matter of days. Clearly there wasn't a lot of time to try to coordinate or make sure e
BrokenTune
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This is a collection of poetry, stories, and graphic artwork rather than one story. While all of the works included are expressing reactions to the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando, the overarching theme of the collection is love. Love in various forms.

The artwork in this collection is fantastic, and really made me stop to think about it.
Jess
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
This was such a powerful, heart wrenching story. There are no other words I could use to describe this. Please, just read this. It's so important.
Roxanne (The Novel Sanctuary)
2.5*- 3*..?
Ummm....well this collection had IMMENSE potential, but it fell somewhat flat for me. Don't get me wrong, many of the one-to-two page spreads were beautiful and spot on but there are SO MANY crucial components of the LGBTQIA+ community missing. It focuses too much on romantic type of love only and there are some spreads that shouldn't be there, like the cis-het man trying to think of what to say while realizing he has nothing TO say because he's inserting himself in something that is
Carrie
With every turn of the page, I cried. I also smiled. Deep in my core I felt all my emotions running amok. Each page a different story, each one just as powerful.

Heartbreaking tales, beautiful tales.
My heart goes out to those who's light was stolen from them.
My heart goes out to those who lost loved ones.
My heart goes out to those who survived that night.
My heart goes out to those who have to hide.
My heart goes out to those who live in fear.

I hope for a day like in the Superboy strip, a day w
Sascha
missed the mark completely. lots of focus on cishets and their feelings and not near enough about, y'know, LGBT people. the book also felt alarmingly white given that the shooting was purposely done during a Latinx night. too many str8 superheroes crying and honestly? too many depictions of dead bodies. it felt extremely disrespectful and only gets two stars for a handful of decent LGBT stories
I would love to rate this higher, but like all anthologies, and collections where people are contributing, there are some ups and downs. This anthology is for a very good cause, the victims of the nightclub shooting in Orlando. Just because I am rating it only three stars does not mean that I didn't rush out and buy it. It is important to support this sort of thing.

But...there is something off about this. It is almost as though the contributors weren't sure what statement they wanted to make, be
natalia
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was crying when I found out about the shooting & I'm crying right now.
Effie
10/10

That's all I can say for now. So many feelings. Read it ASAP!!

EDIT:

Το Love Is Love είναι ένα graphic novel που δημιουργήθηκε για να τιμήσει τα θύματα του Ορλάντο (12/6/2016) . Περιλαμβάνει ιστορίες 1-2 σελίδων και κάνουν guest εμφανίσεις πολλοί γνωστοί υπερήρωες όπως ο Batman, η Wonderwoman, η Supergirl, η Catwoman, η Poison Ivy και η Harley Queen.
Οι πραγματικοί ήρωες των ιστοριών όμως είναι οι απλοί άνθρωποι, μέλη της LGBTQAI+ κοινότητας, που χωρίς υπερδυνάμεις προσπαθούν να ξεπεράσουν τ
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
I didn't mean to read this.

Or I guess I should say that I didn't know this existed.
Or that I didn't meant to read it now

My library informed me all the proceeds from borrows of this (via Hoopla app) go to Equality Florida. I very quickly downloaded it and encourage others whose library's use Hoopla to do this same.

The overall message behind this anthology is one of unity, and one I believe is extremely important. Some of the comics capture this very well and were very beautiful.

Others, I felt we
Kaethe Douglas
I can only read a tiny bit at a time because of all the crying. People are horrible and also capable of empathy and compassion and grace. Ineffable.
Alison
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I feel kind of bad giving this a 2.5 star because it is such an important anthology, but I honestly ended up skimming half of it because it was very repetitive. I don't think there were enough differentiating types of stories and art forms to keep this interesting enough to read all the way through.
I read this on the 2 year anniversary of the Pulse shooting, and it felt incredibly impactful as I read it.
These were stories about the families, the shooter, the government, the LGBTQ+ community, e
Perry Gough
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant an excellent tribute to the awful event of last year, was nearly in tears at some of the panels.

They handled this very well and I highly recommend this.
Bianca (theperksofbeingbianca)
I struggled a bit to finish this. In the end, it was okay; some strips were amazing, the art beautiful, the mini-plot on point, etc. Others not so much, but the intention behind them all is the same. Dozens of artists came together in the name of love, created their own stories and put them all in one book to support all the survivors of the horrible Orlando shooting of 2016, where 49 people were killed in a gay club because they were not afraid to love who they loved.

I don't really know what to
Eli
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is a little lengthy. Please skip to the end and check out some of the amazing story selections I included in here. I just want more people to read this or at least look at the stories I include at the end of my review.

Wow. I loved this so much. Words can't really describe it. I sent pictures of a few stories in here to my other queer friends and even some to my straight sister and mother. They were just so powerful that I had to share it with people who would appreciate it. And somethin
Philip
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I'm so happy I bought a copy of this comic anthology honoring the people who were injured and killed in the Orlando Massacre in 2016. Such an amazing tribute to these brave souls from the comic community. Beautiful, diverse, and from the heart. As it should always be.

This is a true keepsake.
Macarena Yannelli
Es muy linda, pero muy triste, obviamente. Falta representación, pero la intención general del comic esta bien.
Zedsdead
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the comics industry's heartfelt response to the 2016 Pulse mass shooting in Orlando. It's comprised entirely of 1-2 page microstories, essays, testimonials, poems, and textless art. All proceeds are donated annually to LGBT causes and charities.

There's no narrative, it's all about feels: expressions of support, relief, grief, determination, love, heartache. Many of them landed for me, which exceeded my expectations. A few left me confused. A couple even made me think.

And I can see this
Melissa
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Very moving graphic novel, with contributions from multiple artists expressing their fear, sadness, loss, hope, and bravery (plus so much more) following The Pulse nightclub shooting. Definitely worth checking out, but bring your tissues with you.
Julie
While there's some gorgeous art and pieces in her, the stories are a bit iffy. It doesn't really acknowledge the full queer spectrum and the few nods trans people and ace people and aro people and bi people and pan people get are sloppily handled. This was well meaning, but probably a better comfort read for straights, gays, and lesbians and not so much for the rest of the queer community.
Ivy
“When you believe in something, fight for it. And when you see injustice, fight harder than you’ve ever fought before.”

– Brad Meltzer

Es gibt Geschichten, die schiebt man vor sich her, bevor man schließlich zu ihnen greift. Manchmal muss man den richtigen Moment abwarten; manchmal aber, so scheint es, gibt es den richtigen Moment nicht. Love is Love ist ein Comic, das schon ziemlich lange auf meinem SUB gelegen hat, zu dem ich allerdings erst kürzlich gegriffen habe. Ich war mir über die Intensit
Melki
While I applaud the sentiment behind this effort, the book was a real mixed bag for me. Some of the strips moved me to tears, while others bored me to tears. It's hard to get emotionally invested when each comic is only one to two pages.

The artwork is uniformly terrific, however.

And how many mass shootings have there been since June 16th, 2016?

Sigh . . .
Pages and Panels: This topic has been closed to new comments. Favorite Aspects 1 2 Jul 16, 2018 05:39PM
Pages and Panels: This topic has been closed to new comments. First Thoughts on Love is Love 1 2 Jul 02, 2018 05:21PM
  • The Other Side: An Anthology of Queer Paranormal Romance
  • The Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • Anything That Loves
  • Queer: A Graphic History
  • Granta 115: The F Word
  • Giant Days, Vol. 6 (Giant Days, #6)
  • NextWave, Agents of H.A.T.E.: Ultimate Collection
  • DC Comics: Bombshells, Vol. 1: Enlisted
  • Black Panther by Christopher Priest: The Complete Collection, Vol. 2
  • The Unstoppable Wasp, Vol. 1: Unstoppable!
  • Yes, Roya
Marc Andreyko is a comic book and screenplay writer, best known for writing the 2000s ongoing series Manhunter for DC Comics.