Start by marking “Warriors of Love: Rumi's Odes to Shams of Tabriz” as Want to Read:
Warriors of Love: Rumi's Odes to Shams of Tabriz

Warriors of Love: Rumi's Odes to Shams of Tabriz

In 1244 a man wrapped in a coarse black coat entered Konya and so into the life of Islam's most celebrated poet and mystic: Mevlana Jalaluddin Rumi. A wanderer and spiritual vagabond, Shams of Tabriz proceeded to wrestle with Rumi's soul. What he wanted from his protege was for him to embody a wilder, more robust spirituality that would enable him to embrace life's rawness ...more
Published September 19th 2017 by Watkins Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Warriors of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Warriors of Love

Start your review of Warriors of Love: Rumi's Odes to Shams of Tabriz
Joseph Spuckler
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, poetry
Warriors of Love: Rumi's Odes to Shams of Tabriz by Mevlana Rumi is a partial biography and a small selection of poetry. Rumi was a 13th-century Persian poet, jurist, Islamic scholar, theologian, and Sufi mystic. His poems have been widely translated into many of the world's languages, and he has been described as the most popular poet and the best-selling poet in the United States.

James Cowan provides the introduction and translation in this work. This inclusion is important since the
 Natasa
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
It is rather hard to find the right words to describe this interesting friendship between the two men of knowledge, Mevlana Rumi and the traveling dervish, Shams of Tabriz. It is a story that dates back to the 13th century, and causes a great public interest even today. Last year I got familiar with this story reading the book by Elif Shafak “The Forty Rules of Love". Shafak gives us a contemporary story of a middle-aged woman who finds herself unlucky with the life she’s living, so she falls in ...more
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

First of all, this book has two equally important parts: Rumi's biography, focused on his relationship with Shams, and Rumi's poetry. The biography gives us the very needed context to his poems, though they are great even without that.

Now, what I'm most amazed by. The author describes the bond between Rumi & Shams in great detail, using beautiful language, elaborate metaphors and generally doing everything
Nazmi Yaakub
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Adaptasi Dewan Shams At-Tabriz daripada terjemahan sedia ada terutama Nicholson. Bagaimanapun pendahuluan buku ini menyerlahkan pandangan alam penyusunnya yang cenderung kepada spiritual tanpa kerangka agama dan lebih kepada penyatuan dengan Tuhan seperti yang difahami dalam terma hulul dan ittihad yang tentunya jauh daripada tasawuf sebenar termasuk yang menjadi nafas kepada hubungan Maulana Rumi dan Shams.

Bagaimanapun, membaca adaptasi ini dalam keadaan kerangka Ahli Sunnah Wal Jamaah dipegang
caravaggion
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to caravaggion by: anna (½ of readsrainbow)
i really loved the introduction of this one, but its not my most favourite translation of rumis poems even though its still really beautiful
Graham
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Let it first be said that I'm a massive Rumi fan, and so I was delighted and thankful to be a winner of this book in a Goodreads Giveaway contest. My expectations were high, since any literary work associated with Mevlana Jalaluddin Rumi should in my opinion do justice to the great man and his wonderful poetry. Having now read it, I can honestly say I was not disappointed.

This little gem of a book is composed of a short biographical introduction about Rumi, followed by a selection of his
R.K. Cowles
4 1/4 stars A goodreads giveaway. Although I only read the poetry and not the first part of the book by the compiler, Which is the part of the book I have rated. I have two other poetry book by Rumi. I expected the same: great poetry, I wasn't disappointed at all. It did have far less poems than the other books read from Rumi. The good thing about it that their were only 10-11 of the poems in this book that was in the other three.
Nancy
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway.
This was my introduction to Rumi. The first section was fascinating and informative. The poetry was beautiful in the last section but not being a huge fan of any poetry I skimmed past most of it. If you like Rumi you are seeking a better understanding of him and his times this is a good source.
Colin
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, history
This is a beautiful book in every sense. The fascinating story of how Rumi met Shams really captured my imagination. I didn't really understand most of the poetry, the allusions and metaphors went over my head so a study guide to explain what they mean would be useful.
Lady Poe
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Evocative, Spiritual and Poetic.
Shikha
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
“There goes a river dragging a mighty ocean behind it."

This is a mighty amazing book, part biography and part odes on Mevlana Jalaluddin Rumi’s thoughts, beliefs, his relationship with God and his friendship with the spiritual vagabond, Shams of Tabriz. The bond between them is fully exhausted, beautifully analysed from all the possible angles by the author. His attempt at solving the mystery of the relationship with the wanderer who had the most effect on Rumi’s life is commendable. The
Jane
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Why do the books depicting Rumi and Shamz a bit overly dramatic and romanticized?
If not, a bit rose-colored and fantastic?
Aside from that here are lots of details that had been told all over again.
Najlla Habibyar
I enjoyed reading it. It was repetitive as mostly when you read about Shams and Rumi the stories will be much similar. There would be small twists by writers but I must confess that if it would have been the first read about Shams and Rumi; I would have had scored it better.
Safwa
Jul 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book from shakespeare and co. because I fell in love with the cover which turned out to be the only good thing about it. I couldn't digest the poems, too cringy and repetitive.
Kris
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Received an advanced readers copy. Beautiful binding and wonderful reading. Would recommend.
Roxanne
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a Goodreads win review. This is in ancient times and the topic is about a spiritual vagabond and it has 49 poems about God.
Marjorie Jensen
My review of this book was just published in Spiral Nature Magazine: https://www.spiralnature.com/reviews/...
Jessica Godfrey

• The Devil's Highway: A True Story
  • Venus Envy: A Sensational Season Inside the Women's Tennis Tour
  • The Essential Neruda: Selected Poems
  • Dantes Inferno
  • The Archangel Guide to Enlightenment and Mastery: Living in the Fifth Dimension
  • Adventures Beyond the Body: How to Experience Out-of-Body Travel
  • Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town
  • Between Death & Life: Conversations with a Spirit
  • Leaves of Grass
  • Becoming Supernatural: How Common People Are Doing the Uncommon
  • The Secret of the Soul: Using Out-of-Body Experiences to Understand Our True Nature
  • Emotion Code: How to Release Your Trapped Emotions for Abundant Health, Love and Happiness
  • Destiny of Souls: New Case Studies of Life Between Lives
  • Oversoul Seven And The Museum Of Time
  • The Completion Process: The Practice of Putting Yourself Back Together Again
Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmī - also known as Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Balkhī, Mevlânâ/Mawlānā (مولانا, "our master"), Mevlevî/Mawlawī (مولوی, "my master") and more popularly simply as Rumi - was a 13th-century Persian poet, jurist, Islamic scholar, theologian and Sufi mystic who lived in Konya, a city of Ottoman Empire (Today's Turkey). His poems have been widely translated into many of the world's ...more