Jump to ratings and reviews
Veva Matron is a feisty girl raging with suppressed anger and distrust of men.
Solis Cronus is a blindingly beautiful, Greek god of a guy, who likes to play women.

An electric hatred thunders through each of them about the other until one night, lightning strikes. A world of secrets reveals the destiny of two at odds with one another, and clouds the line between love and hate. Can a lively girl find calm in the stormy tension of a boy made of sunshine and sin?

The mythical tale of Zeus and Hera reignites in this modern interpretation of enemies to lovers. Full of flirty sexual angst and teasing temptation, Solis might be the one man who can extinguish Veva’s angry fire and ignite a different sort of flame: desire.

300 pages, ebook

Published January 30, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Elda Lore

5 books115 followers
Alter ego of L.B. Dunbar. A writer of mythical tales in the modern world.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
3 (2%)
1 star
2 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 76 reviews
Profile Image for EscapeNBooks.
809 reviews
February 6, 2017
Solis by Author L. B. Dunbar, writing as Elda Lore is book two in the Modern Descendants series. It is a paranormal/Greek mythology romance novel.

"I believe in Destiny. I believe in finding the one. The one who will complete me. The other half of me. The one opposite and whole for me."

Solis equals swoon, swoony, swoon. This god-man never stopped. I understood why women followed him around like lost puppy dogs and were happy just to be graced with his shadow. He was too large for life and better than mere mortal.

"The only sun I want to be is the center of your universe."

As the story progressed, so did the passion that ignited between Solis and Veva. It was so otherworldly that it often caused me to wonder where the natural began and the supernatural took over. The sparks that flew could be felt through the pages as their entire beings came into focus with one another.

"You're the blue sky to my gray."

Everything about this novel lit my heart on fire. Having followed L. B. Dunbar's writing for some time, Solis is absolutely some of her best work to date; simply exquisite. It was on point with its details in mythology, gave a story line that was riveting, and had very defined and well-developed characters with inner struggles, despite their god-like nature.

"I'd only thirst for her from this day forward. Each drink would be to recall the memory, savor it, and never forget again who she was to me."

Solis was an irresistible and mystical romance novel that made the imperceptible tangible and ended with a beautiful HEA. A favorite of 2017.

#sunshineandsin

572 reviews18 followers
February 7, 2017
Screw it... I know I said Jan 30th, but I don't want to wait...

Once again, I’m in love with L. B. Dunbar’s writing. I’ll admit, the style of Solis is unique (imo) you might need to be in the mood for it. The flow, the form, the essence of Solis reminds me a rose covered arbor. Vines, both thick and delicate, laced through a solid support, with thorns placed sporadically, and dotted with joyful, bright, sun kissed blossoms. That is Solis.

Veva is wary (okay, nearly petrified) to put any faith in men, especially ones with reputations. So when Solis shows interest, she does what she can to blow him off. Which obviously doesn’t work. I really loved her realistic combination of features and flaws.

Solis is wonderful. Perfect? No way, but still wonderful. I had issues with how hard he pushed Veva out of her comfort zone, through her fears, but if she can deal so can I. He is kind, determined, caring, and funny. Yeah, Solis is a keeper #BBF.

Dunbar’s revitalization of Greek mythology makes me want to go and read the original versions. For me, that says a lot.
Profile Image for Jill M.
1,145 reviews72 followers
January 7, 2018
Hot damn these descendants get better with each book. I’m pulled into this world where Gods exist and powers ignite. Where secrets are revealed and romance blossoms. Elda takes a modern take on Greek mythology and weaves an exceptional story. She really has a way with words and put her own spin on these stories. A little angst with a mix of romance and some heart pumping sexy times. I look forward to more.
341 reviews5 followers
February 3, 2017
Good gods, these Modern Descendants get better and better!
Solis and Veva are, to say the least, a fiery pair... She trusts no one, and he was a player till he met her. You see a great love story forming with every push and pull of this couple. It is a great addition to the paranormal world, and i am looking forward to the next Modern Descendant!
Profile Image for Sejla.
543 reviews51 followers
January 31, 2017
Elda Lore aka L.B. Dunbar blew my mind with Hades (book #1 in The Modern Descendants series), giving me an unforgettable story of epic proportions  that landed straight on my most favorite reads list of 2016. Of course I was curious to find out if she can manage to keep this high level and what she would make of book #2 about Solis and Veva.

Let me tell you that she didn't disappoint! As a truly gifted wordsmith she took me on a wonderful journey where reality and aspects of Greek mythology were neatly interwoven, leaving me once again in awe of her amazing talent.

Veva Matron is spending the summer together with Persephone Fields at Zeke Cronus' sprawling estate in Central Valley, where her best friend is nursing a broken heart. Raised by a man-hating, bitter mother she is very biased towards them. She has never been in love with someone and absolutely has no intentions to ever let anyone into her heart. But when Zeke's blindingly beautiful son Solis, a Greek god of a guy and ladies' man crosses her path, electric hatred thunders through each of them until one night, lightning strikes. Hatred soon turns into longing, resulting in undeniable lust.

"Your mouth is heaven, and I want to live there."

Secrets will be revealed and hearts are going to be broken. Can a feisty girl like Veva find calm in the stormy tension of a boy made of sunshine and sin?

I loved the slow burn and build up between Solis and Veva. When the fireball of desire finally exploded between them I thought my kindle was going to burst into flames. While she was his sunshine on a cloudy day, he was the calm to her storm. They perfectly complemented each other!

"Even before we met, I loved you. I've been waiting for you, I just wasn't certain you would recognize me, but then we kissed. It was you. You and me. Destiny."

This enemies to lovers story is inspired by the mythical tale of Zeus and Hera. If you are looking for a great escape full of angst and sexy banter - this book is for you! But be warned: this series is highly addictive and will keep you crave for more. Luckily there will be two more books and I'm totally looking forward to read them! 5 stars.
Profile Image for Tammi.
1,821 reviews25 followers
February 21, 2017
I read to escape. I love to get lost in a story! I was completely entranced by Solis and Veva!!
The first few chapters had me hooked. It had two of my favorite elements a badboy changed by love and an ex b#tch so I knew it was going to be good. What I didn't know was how much I was going to fall in love with this story, their romance, their battles their everything. I couldn't read it fast enough but then I wanted to slow down because I didn't want the story to end.
The fantasy and mythological theme was just icing on the cake! It made the story magical.
This is still a new genre for this author and I liked Hades (book 1) but I am blown away by Solis. I cannot wait for the next the one!
Profile Image for FunUndertheCovers.
1,527 reviews41 followers
January 31, 2017
Once again Elda Lore has captured the essence of Greek mythology. Solis is a fantastic addition to the Modern Descendants Sereies. The story of Solis and Veva had me hooked from page one. I wanted to fly with Solis and paint with Veva. The return of Hades and Persephone also gave me chills, bringing back all the emotion of the first book, Hades. I absolutely adore Elda Lore's writing and can not wait for the next installment of this amazing and intriguing series.
3 reviews
Read
January 31, 2017
Once again Elda Lore has captured the essence of Greek Mythology. Solis is a fantastic addition to the Modern Descendants series. The story of Solis and Veva had me hooked from page one. I wanted to fly with Solis and paint with Veva. The return of Hades and Persephone also gave me chills, bringing back that feelings from the fist book. I absolutely adore Elda Lore's writing and cannot wait for the next installment of this amazing and intriguing series
Profile Image for Sue M. Van.
226 reviews5 followers
February 7, 2017
Loved this! Well developed characters, smooth storyline. Definitely hot! More than anything else though was the ups and downs of the 2 main characters. The story keeps the reader guessing straight through until the very end. I would highly recommend this!
Profile Image for Dannah Leizl.
275 reviews8 followers
April 9, 2017
Elda Lore – Solis

This book was not what I was expecting.
I don’t read blurbs, and it was a struggle with this book because most of the names were from Greek mythology and I thought it was just coincidence, until I stumbled into the words ‘underworld’, ‘power’, and ‘heaven’ Now my first impression was that the modern world and the myth wasn’t mixed well, there were some scenes that I find awkward, like a bad sitcom that was made for laughs. It did get better as the book progress, though some scenes were not realistic IMHO.

Characters
Some characters were interesting, some weren’t.
I loved Solis, he was a great character, except when he’s being a jerk and testy, and I could definitely picture a hot and witty guy.
I’m not really keen on Veva’s character. I had my fair share of reads of LC with trust issues, some damaged to the point of being a man-hater, but I find Veva super annoying. In fact, she’s the reason why I can’t give a perfect 5 score for this book. Solis is higher than a 5, but Veva – her being cynical all the time is just exasperating to read.
The minor characters, Persephone and Hades, seem fascinating and I do want to read their story.

Plot
For me, though the plot is appealing, some scenes did not quite fit each other. There were some scenes where I can’t just picture them out. There seems to be a change in the story too, since I believe in Greek mythology, Cronus was Hades and Poseidon’s dad. Or if this was intentional, maybe the wordings weren’t just for me. I do love the mountain climbing scene though.

Pace
The pace isn’t for me, except on some scenes with Solis and Veva not being cynic.

Ending
I love the 23 days thing by Solis, though I didn’t like those scenes where Veva expressed her distrust with men.

Overall, I like the character Solis, except when he pushes Veva’s buttons and when he’s being a jerk, but the moments that I enjoyed the most were killed everytime Veva became suspicious. I might read it again, but only those parts with Solis.

3 stars.
Profile Image for Lady Heather .
1,290 reviews698 followers
Publication Date: January 30, 2017

photo solis cover.jpg

Blurb

Veva Matron is a feisty girl raging with suppressed anger and distrust of men.

Solis: Modern Descendants 2
Elda Lore (L.B. Dunbar writing as)
Genre: Paranormal Romance; Fantasy; New Adult
Sunshine is sinful, but, oh, so heavenly.

My thoughts

"4.5 Stormy Clouds and Steamy Sunset stars!"

This is the second book in the modern day greek mythology "Descendants" series.
It can be read as a standalone, but I think (you) the reader would get more out of the story if the series was read in order.

When I first read the synopsis of this story, I was intrigued and curious as to how the author would write a modernized version of stories and characters from Greek Mythology.
Once I got into the storyline and the characters, I was immediately hooked.

The main characters in the book are beautiful, strong, competitive, arrogant and flawed (just like the greek gods and goddesses of old).
The author did a wonderful job of capturing the greek god's characters and portraying the dynamics of the roles each "god" played in mythology and adapting them to modern day life.

Solis was a wonderful character to read.
He knew what he wanted and that he was searching for "the one".
All he ever wanted was to have one bed, one roof, and one woman... and he found it with Veva.
He just had to get her to trust him enough to give him a chance.
I liked Veva character and enjoyed reading her grow into a strong, confident woman.
I understood her distrust and skepticism toward Solis because he was a player which is why this book truly was a slow burn romance of the heart.
Solis had to prove his loyalty, love, and fidelity to Veva.

Great read!
Look forward to reading the next book in the series.

Book 1 Hades
Book 2 Solis
Book 3 Heph

PRE-ORDER -- 99 cents

Amazon: http://amzn.to/2iCgWxP
iBooks: http://bit.ly/Solis_eldalore
Kobo: http://bit.ly/Solis_Kobo
Nook: http://bit.ly/Solis_nook

"A copy of this book has been provided by The Paranormal Book Crew in exchange for an honest review"
Profile Image for ☆Joycedale☆.
894 reviews38 followers
February 6, 2017
First off if you know your Greek Mythology, ignore it. While some parts of this stick to the true legends a lot of it kind of takes its own twist and if trying to compare it to what you know you will get confused lol.
However this is an awesome story. Solis knows who he is. Vera is still in the dark. Persephone never told her what was up with "Harris" so she doesn't know anything.
As far as she knows her uncle Zeke is just a whore and Solis is another on a long list of children.
Right off the bat there is an attraction between them but Vera wants nothing to do with Solis. She's just hanging out at Zeke's mansion for a summer between classes and has no desire to start a relationship with a known player.
Solis knows there's something different with how he feels about Vera and spends every moment he can showing her that. Which is harder because when everyone tries to tell her what's going on she thinks it's some elaborate joke they're playing on her.
I loved the twist with Vera's story that I honestly didn't see coming. I loved how far he goes to show her he loves her and only her.
I especially loved Hades showing up and the surprise with Persephone.
Can't wait to see what happens next.
Profile Image for Jen.
453 reviews
February 6, 2017
I have always loved Greek mythology. I studied it for fun when I was younger.
I was ecstatic when I stumbled across this story.
Its Greek mythology revisited, set in modern times.
This story is an adjusted retelling of Zeus & Hera's kids (whom are destined for each other).
Veva has a huge mistrust of the male species & one male in particular, Solis.
The heroine was strong, fiesty & very set in her ways.
The hero was patient, calm & able to handle the harshness from his love.
Full length story, so the love is believable. Secondary characters were introduced, but didn't linger overlong.
I really really wanna read about Hades & Persephone now.
Great story, kept me hooked, will check out other works by this author.
Profile Image for Susan.
1,015 reviews36 followers
February 11, 2017
Solis! Oh my, Solis! He's sunshine & sin. This series is getting with each book. I'm really looking forward to Heph's book!
Profile Image for Lisa Lawson.
680 reviews3 followers
January 31, 2017
I voluntarily read an Advanced Reader Copy of this book. I also preordered it on Amazon. Solis is book 2 in the Modern Decendants Series. Persephone and Veva were invited to their Uncle Zeke's home for the summer for some R&R. Veva meets a Greek God of a man she immediately deems a player and wants no part of. Her mother has raised her that all men are untrustworthy, bad, and will leave. But it's something about Solis that seems to be pulling her to him like a moth to a flame. If Solis wants to make her is, he must chip away at her wall and share the family secrets. A fantastic read. A great twist and spin off to the mythical Gods. I highly recommend this book and series.
Profile Image for Chantell Reid.
402 reviews5 followers
January 23, 2017
So much good! If you haven't read Hades, you are missing out. This can be read as a stand alone but I really recommend Hades.

Vee is unsure of men and their intentions no matter how good they are. Her mother raised her to be distrusting of all men and to add to it, her father abandoned her.

Solis, a player through and through but down deep he wants to find his one. Suffering from his own abandonment issues and his determination to not fulfill a prophecy, he never saw Vee coming.

Sparks ignite with familiarity that they both question and try to ignore, only destiny cannot be ignored.
February 6, 2017
The Modern Descendants series by Elda Lore is becoming a fast new favorite of mine! Solis and Veva are two people who couldn't be more perfect for each-other. A feisty young women who has a hard time trusting anyone, and a man who usually gets what he wants.

A fast paced romance that will make your heart SING!

Solis I couldn't help but fall in love with him. When he firsts sets eyes on Veva, he knows he must have her. Soon they begin a friendship of sorts that turn into so much more. Slowly he falls in love, and helps Veva break out of her shell.

Can't wait for the next installment!

Profile Image for Pam.
962 reviews2 followers
January 29, 2017
Solis gave me all the feels I love to experience when reading a story! I'm not a connoisseur of Greek mythology, having never taken a class in HS or college. I know some of the basics, most popular gods and a few of their stories, but definitely not in detail. I have to look up these characters to get a better detailed understanding of their history/story because the story makes me want to understand the underlying myth. Solis follows the story of Zeus and Hera, but through each of their off-spring. Solis Cronus is the son of Zeke (Zeus) and Veva is the daughter of Hera. Veva has inherited her mother's pessimistic view that men always leave, so she fights her feelings for Solis from the very beginning. Solis knew the minute he laid eyes on Veva that she was his one, the other half to his whole, but it took a lot work to help Veva accept these same feelings. To my understanding, Solis was a god of the sky or heavens may be a better way to describe it. One thing that Elda excelled at, with this story, was describing actions and scenes from that perspective. She could always pull in elements of the sky; the heat of the sun, electrical feel of lightening, intense thunder, sadness of grey skies and clouds, into scenes when Solis was touching Veva or thinking of her. It made the reading and scenes feel electrifying! I thought those scenes were so awesome that it made the book! It's so refreshing when authors can make the readers feel those intense scenes themselves. I'm glad we did get to see a little more Hades & Persephone because I want their happy ending too. My real rating for Solis is more along the lines of a 4.5 and a great second addition to the Modern Descendants series!

I voluntarily read an ARC of this book.
Profile Image for Kali McQuillen.
1,685 reviews33 followers
February 4, 2017
Ooh how I loved Solis!!! This book mixes mythology with today's world. I could see everything so perfect, I felt like I was soaring on the windjammer, climbing cliffs, being pushed out of my comfort zone and loving every minute of it.

Veva has not had great relationship experiences. Her own dad showed her men don't stay faithful and stay around. She expects no less from Solis. He's shown everyone that he's a lover but he doesn't do relationships. He makes that known up front so it's no shock to anyone involved.

They've found true love but can he make her see that he's not like every other guy that she's known. Even with all of his ex-bedmates always being in the peripheral of their relationship Veva starts to fall for him.

Will they be able to fight against the odds to overcome her fears? Will he be able to show her and make her believe that she is his one and only?

LOVED THIS BOOK!!! So excited for this series and cannot wait to read Heph!!!
Profile Image for Holly.
205 reviews5 followers
February 4, 2017
When Vera travels to her family friends country estate for the summer with her best friend Persephone she was expecting a relaxing trip away. But she wasn't counting on Solis Cronus. He's a Greek God who controls the skies as well as every women he comes across. He's used to getting every girl he's ever wanted so when he sets his sights on Vera there's only one place he's expecting the two of the to end up. Vera however, has other ideas. There are secrets aplenty in Solis' world, a world that Vera has never even dreamt of - will she be able to finally find out the truth and let Solis in? Loved this book! Filled with twists and turns, tension and turmoil, thunder and sunshine - this isn't a story to be missed! Really loved Vera's feisty attitude and Solis' words about love. Can't wait for more in this series!

I voluntarily received an ARC for an honest review
Profile Image for Katy Birch.
472 reviews3 followers
January 30, 2017
This is the story of

This is the story of Veva and Solis.

At 1st Veva loathes Solis because she just sees him as a user, a playboy. But who can say no to a god? Over time she thaws to him, i think the turning point was when they painted. There was more to it. He is determined to prove himself to her. There phrase is "I will follow you". They both hold true to the statement.

We also saw more of Persephony and Hade. I still want to understand what happens with them and the fact they still have to be seperated. Also, the fact i do not trust Zeke. I want to know if my instinct is right. I do believe that he will die by Solis's hand. Roll on #3
230 reviews
January 30, 2017
While spending the summer break at the estate of a family friend, Veva meets Solis - a man known for leaving a trail of broken hearts. Veva tries to fight her attraction to Solis, but they are destined to be together.
This is a rich, fantastic story full of dreamy romance, exciting drama, interesting revelations and electric passion. I enjoyed these characters so much! Veva is vibrant and feisty and Solis is tempting and irresistible. I highly recommend this book and I just can't wait for the next one!!
Profile Image for Marinda.
379 reviews7 followers
February 5, 2017
Bad boy Solis, a player, son of Zeke.
Veva a hot tempered bitch, who thanks to her mother, hates men.
Their world's collide on the estate of Zeke during the summer.
Can Veva be "the one" for Solis? Can he convince her that not all men are to be hated?
Another hit from the author, especially if you enjoy your Greek mythology. I recommend reading Hades first if you can but this can be read as a stand alone and boy does it build.
Independent reviewer for Romance Authors That Rock.
106 reviews1 follower
January 26, 2017
What a fun story full of flirtatious behavior, fun games and scandal. New and old characters bring some fun to the story and can't wait for the next book to come. A really sexy, romantic love story about destiny and never giving up on what you want!
Profile Image for Margarita.
422 reviews2 followers
November 9, 2018
Oh Solis ☀

I really enjoyed this book. I loved seeing the past characters from the first book. I also liked that Solis found the one in Veva. Can't wait to read the next book. I hope see Solis and Vega in the next book as well as Hades and Persephone.
Profile Image for Deanna Wiley.
216 reviews4 followers
Loved it!

I was so excited to read Solis, thinking it would be just as amazing as Hades. I was not disappointed. Now I impatiently wait to read Heph!!
17 reviews1 follower
February 7, 2017
This is a really good book. However there were parts that confused me, but that could be because I didn't read book one. Can't wait to read more in the series.
Profile Image for a collective of books.
1,179 reviews2 followers
September 6, 2017
I'm so glad I read this! After the disappointment with Hades, Solis' story was amazing and the writing had improved. I'm looking forward to continuing the series.
Profile Image for Andrea.
409 reviews
December 19, 2019
Someone before wrote this series gets better after the first. Well I truly liked this book better but I’m loving this take on the Greek Gods
Profile Image for Felicia Semmler .
366 reviews
Solis

I like the reimagining of the traditional mythology. I liked the hate to love story and the passion and flair between Solis and Veva. Great read
Displaying 1 - 30 of 76 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.