Start by marking “The Happiness Tree: Celebrating the Gifts of Trees We Treasure” as Want to Read:
The Happiness Tree: Celebrating the Gifts of Trees We Treasure

The Happiness Tree: Celebrating the Gifts of Trees We Treasure

This celebration of one of Earth's most precious resources embraces the beauty of trees and brings them to life with attributes sure to resonate with readers of all ages: peace, generosity, love, and happiness. With a detailed index of state trees, THE HAPPINESS TREE is a welcome reminder that everything good begins right here.
Published September 2nd 2008 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about The Happiness Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Happiness Tree

Start your review of The Happiness Tree: Celebrating the Gifts of Trees We Treasure
Storywraps
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
The opening line is perfect, "Everything good begins with me." A tiny acorn tumbles to the ground and issues this statement to its mother tree. Then his adventure begins. He snuggles deep into a cloak of golden leaves, takes a long winter's nap and emerges in the warm Springtime wide awake, ready to sprout and stand tall amidst his prestigious elders.

Beautiful illustrations of different types of trees appear in the following pages and each one gives an account of his value, worth and contributi
Ms_Harris
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
“Everything good begins with me,” this first line spoke by the acorn in The Happiness Tree by Andrea Alban Gosline sets the tone for a poetic adventure. Gosline follows this acorn through the seasons, then expounds on “ten trees’ simple gifts.” Readers then meet the trees of hope, love, and gratitude among others. The trees articulate their roles and gifts to the world.

The text is written in rhyming form. The personification of the trees is demonstrated through both verse and illustr
Amanda
Jun 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
This one I liked much more than my son who I read it to. The illustrations are adorable and the poetry is interesting and uplifting. It talks about different kinds of trees and how they are each different and important to us. Being the granddaughter of a tree lover (he made identifying signs for many of the trees in his woods) and granddaughter and daughter of 2 carpenters has meant that trees and wood have been treasured in our family, so I may need to buy this book to keep that tradition alive ...more
Amber
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I recently attended a conference for children's book author's and illustrators at Book Passage Bookstore in Corte Madera, Ca. Andrea Alban lectured at several workshops and discussions, and told us of her inspiration for "The Happiness Tree." It is a beautifully written story that is evocative and uplifting, bringing joy into the lives of those that turn it's pages. With lovely illustrations by Lisa Burnett Bossi that bring Andrea's words to life, "The Happiness Tree" is a beautiful addition to ...more
Theresa
May 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this book to my children who liked it too. The book is in rhyme and introduces 10 different types of trees. Each tree also has been given an attribute like love, peace, happiness, courage. I copied these words and created a screen saver so each week I have an affirmative word floating on my desktop. Megan noted the tree with white flowers saying it was a dogwood. It was.
Amelia
Jun 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-lit
A children's book written in rhyming verse, telling the story of ten trees and their simple gifts. They stand for hope, love, courage, gratitude, peace, compassion, tolerance, generosity, honesty, and happiness. Beautifully written with lovely illustrations, this book provides insight for the adult reader while comforting the youthful audience.
Jen
Mar 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Good spring and summer poetic read. It is calming to read its poetic verses about the beautiful trees God created and in the back it talks about which tree is what, which might bring on a fun adventure in itself in a year or two for the boys.
Kimberly  Davis
Sep 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kimberly by: 09-10FRA
Shelves: children
This book is both beautifully written and illustrated. Written in a poetic verse, the words flow off the page as you read. This book was written to celebrate the gifts of trees but also teaches readers about character development. Great for all great levels Pre-K thru 12.
Bonnie
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated! A wonderful message worth teaching to children. Plus you can learn about different types of trees too.
Tina B
Dec 10, 2009 added it
"illustrations good, trees, poor language use, virtues"
Arminzerella
Loved the illustrations, but found the prose a bit over the top.
Thimbleberry
Sep 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I want to go plant my own circle of happy trees now
Cecily
Carrie
May 02, 2017
Lydia
Jun 18, 2013
Andrea Alban (a.k.a. Andrea Gosline) was born in 1959 in Baltimore, MD but spent her childhood reading voraciously in San Francisco, where she still lives with her family. On a weekly basis, she visited the Merced Branch Library and returned home with a pile of books on many different subjects. She received her B.A. cum laude in English/Creative Writing from San Francisco State University.

Andrea