Start by marking “Molly Bell and the Wishing Well” as Want to Read:
Molly Bell and the Wishing Well

Molly Bell and the Wishing Well

Molly Bell is an eleven-year old girl who used to be a whimsical, sporty type of a child with a zest for living. All that has been turned upside down by the untimely death of her mother two years ago. To make matters worse, her father is getting remarried to a high-maintenance beauty that Molly seemingly has nothing in common with, and she comes with an annoying six-year o ...more
Paperback
Published December 29th 2016 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Molly Bell and the Wishing Well, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Molly Bell and the Wishing Well

Fani
Apr 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
“Don’t forget about the wishing well. Every wish I ever made there came true.”

The story of "Molly Bell and the Wishing Well" begins with a happy event, a wedding. All the secondary characters are excited, the atmosphere is celebratory and yet the feelings that the reader feels throughout the story are those of sadness and grief and that's because we experience every event through the eyes of our heroine.

Molly lost her mother and now she has to witness her father getting married to another w
Jacinta Carter
This was a sweet, coming-of-age, middle grade novel about a young girl coping with her mother's death and learning to accept the fact that her father has remarried and she now has an annoying step-brother. Her grandparents are the best characters, not only because they act as the voices of reason that these novels are so often missing, but also because they have the most interesting backstories. The other characters fit into pretty stereotypical roles, but it's still a nice story.
Dena (Batch of Books)
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
What a sweet story for all ages!

Molly is a young girl whose world is turned upside-down with the death of her mother. While visiting her grandparent’s farm, she visits a secret wishing well where she makes wishes and learns about self-discovery, new relationships, and growing up.

I love each character in this book and the role they play with Molly as she goes on a journey to find happiness. The author did a perfect job of making each character important and personable to Molly and the readers. I
Crazybooklady
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Molly Bell and the wishing well is about Molly, an 11 year old girl whose father just got remarried to a woman named Faith. Molly sees Faith and her younger son Henry as an intrusion in her life. Molly and Henry are sent to Molly's Dad's parents house while they go on their honeymoon. There are some heart wrenching moments and some heart warming moments as Molly is trying to come to terms with the marriage and her new little brother.
The story takes a look a grief and coming to terms with loss.
T
Ottilee B.
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great read.
I really liked this book! With all the blended families coming together, it is wonderful to read a story from a kid's point of view that sounds like an eleven year old's voice and not some Adult giving you a lesson in manners or "this is how you act". I'm a KID! I want to BE a kid!

When Molly's dad marries Faith, mother to the disgusting eight year old named Henry, she knows her life will change. And just like when her mom died, her life will not be changing for the better. She and H
Carrie Westmoreland Kurtz
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Molly Bell and the Wishing Well is a sweet little middle grade book that I found so charming. This book teaches you to live in the now and to learn to live with the life you are given. The message is clear to me as an adult but I'm sure that middle graders won't feel like they are earning a life lesson while reading. They will just be entertained!

When the author, Bridget Geraghty, sent me a review request I jumped on it! I don't read very many middle grade books but this one sounding lovely. I w
Aurora Batty
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Have you ever had something that you wished for with all your heart? What if those wishes were to come true? That is exactly what happens in this delightful tale of a young girl who had her life turned upsidedown. Molly Bell learns that you should be careful what you wish for like most wishing story morals. But, she also learns that even wishes that come true may not be in the way that you think.
You can read the full review on my blog here: https://aurorabattyskiddiethingies.wo...
 Mummy Cat Claire
Molly's is 11 years old. Her mother died several years before and now her father is getting married. Molly isn't sure what to think of Faith and she's not super thrilled about a brother.

After the wedding, Molly and Faith's son, Henry, go to stay with Molly's grandparents farm. Aunt Joan had spoken of a wishing well on their property and Molly really wants to find it. To check it out. To make a wish.

"The wishing well? What wishing well? Aunt Joan sighted. Oh, it's at Grandma's and Grandpa's farm
Cat
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's hard enough to be a child without losing a parent and having your only parent remarry. So much of life is out of ones hands. Sad that some children have to go through this, not only due to death, but divorce, too. Told from young Molly's POV, the story feels authentic. She's a child feeling her way to acceptance of what she can not change. It's a good story and may well help some child to cope with their own loss. I'd recommend it to kids 3-5th grade.
I received a Kindle ARC from Netgalley
Destiny Brown
Apr 18, 2017
Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: June 1st 2017

"Thoughts are the same as wishes. They lead us to where we are going."

*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by Reading Alley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

(view spoiler)
Mrs. Belle
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Good Story About Loss and Moving On

Molly Bell And The Wishing Well is story on how a loss of a loved one, in this instance -- a mother, can affect the life of a young girl. It led her mind into thinking that any change, especially in the family dynamic, is a conspiracy to make her life even worse.

A mysterious, and seemingly magical, wishing well is the only thing that gave her a semblance of hope. Until an incident made her realize that you really have to be careful on what you wish for.

I was
Madalyn
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, middle-grade
This book was magical. Not in the Harry Potter, Gandalf, Unicorns, kind of way, but in a much more real way. It's about the magic of love, and it's power to heal. It's about how a shift in point of view can change your whole life, and it's about letting kids who are struggling with loss know that they can find a way to be happy again.

About 20 years ago I was one of those kids. My dad died when I was 1o, from cancer, like Molly's mom in the story, and though I didn't have that shift in perspecti
☘Tara Sheehan☘
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From a psychological point of view I felt Geraghty did a remarkable job trying to capture the grief process as a child would go through with it showcasing her focusing on mundane tasks and trying to behave impeccably as if her late mother was watching over her. I’ve generally seen that attitude or the full act out, trying to burn the world down path. The author kept Molly’s life, motivations, wishes and outcomes simple as if giving her space and peace to figure out how she was going to navigate ...more
Mary
Feb 05, 2017
Ashley Eidler
May 24, 2017
Julia Thum
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
My Thoughts

I picked this book because I love the image on the cover and I find something enticing and mysterious in wishing wells, so I wanted to see what the author did with this one. She did not disappoint - this book is magical. Not in a witches and wizards sort of way a much more real way. It's about the magic of love and it's power to heal and how to find happiness again after a terrible loss. It’s a short story - about 100 pages - but an easy read with a message for life that will stay wit
Bridget
Jan 04, 2017
Hemdiva Dev
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Molly is coping with the loss of her mother and also her father getting married again. Her step brother seems to be anything but good. Than her life changes. Good book to pick up for a cozy read.
LaBibliodeCaro
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I read the summary of this children’s book on NetGalley, I was very keen on delving into it. And I wasn’t disappointed. Although the book is very short (about 100 pages), it is filled with emotions and conveys a beautiful, profound message.

Through young Molly’s perspective, the author deals with the following themes — losing a parent at a young age, struggling with grief and anger, finding it hard to accept new family members (especially a new mother and a new young sibling).

The writing sty
Nichol
May 11, 2017
Kendra
Feb 21, 2017
Bridget Geraghty lives in northern Illinois with her husband and three children. She taught elementary school for eight years before focusing on writing. It is her sincere hope that her stories inspire and uplift the minds and spirits of her young readers.