Start by marking “The Abscission Zone” as Want to Read:

The Abscission Zone

Dr. Texie Raynott and Dr. Dock Hatman hope to use their expertise in plant biology to discover new cancer drugs. They never imagined that they would end up fighting a global menace that has deadly implications for the future of humankind.

While examining a tissue sample, Texie falls and cracks her skull. At the same time, Dock uncovers the truth behind a series of
Published December 30th 2016 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Abscission Zone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Abscission Zone

Start your review of The Abscission Zone
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary | "Empathy" - Look it up.
The Abscission Zone has an awesome premise but fails on all other points.
The main three being:
1.) The characters are caricatures.
2.) Everything is laid out as though the readers are idiots. All telling/informing, no showing/evoking.
3.) The dialogue is cringe-worthy.
This book needs a serious amount of work to make it into something readable. Right now, the writing is more appropriate for an early chapter book rather than the adult novel its meant to be. This feels like the work of a beginning
Avery (Book Deviant)
Jan 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I .... am in amazement with how BAD this book was.

No offense meant, but everything in this book is so underdeveloped and frankly dumbed down. The writing is equivalent to what you would find in a childrens picture book: Dock swam down, and pulled on the board. Dock couldnt breath, and had to swim back up.

Not even going on the mention how unlikable all the characters are, and, again, underdeveloped. Texie and Dock were so BLEGH and the fact that Dock was acting like a freaking stalker in the
Polly Krize
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I will admit I had some difficulty getting into this book. It seemed rushed and too wordy. I also had great difficulty in connecting with any of the characters, perhaps since they are always taking and there is no "fleshing out" of their personalities. The premise is a good one, with Mother Nature in revolution against humanity, using plants to basically wipe us out, but the writing fell short developmentally. Only my opinion.
Ana

This is one of the rare cases where I wished I had looked up the reviews or even just the ratings for a book before I requested it. The blurb sounded so interesting that I just couldn't resist.

Instead, I got one of the worst character building I have read, if not the worst, and a story that didn't make much sense.
And the writing... Boy. At times it felt like a pre-teen wrote this book. It was just so underdeveloped.

I cannot begin to tell you how much
Michael Thurnell
Apr 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
I started this book because I liked the premise and was intrigued to read it.

I regret to say the book did not meet the hype. Stereotypical, dumb characters who should have known better. The book had great potential and I kept hoping it would get better but it didn't. What really got me was that the book could have been so much better. Perhaps the author tried to do too much with one book but with better characters, more realistic dialogue and characters who actually acted at the level of their
Mick Kralka
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
I recieved this book as a Goodreads giveaway book. The genre is one of my favorite genres to read. I love reading what I call "what if" books. This book, unfortunately, was one of the worst written books I have ever read.
The premise is wonderful. The lack of continuity and meaningful dialog/storyline destroyed any pleasure I would have gotten from reading it. People dying then coming back to life with no explanation. The science ( both physics and biology) are so incorrectly referenced that it
Christie
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway (thank you) and I was very excited because I love post apocalypse style novels and this one had a fascinating concept.
This book was a major letdown though. Everything in it was a cool idea (hence 2 stars), the plant war, the underground lab adventure, the space adventure, the post apocalyptic world with freaky monsters. BUT it was too much, this could have been a multi book series. So instead of developing one part at a time the author crammed it all into
Anna
Mar 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was initially interested in the plot, sounded like the books I usually love to read (fast paced, action with a bit of intrigue and medical thrill aspects thrown in). However this story was really just a shell, and a poorly written one.
• The dialogue felt like it was written for comic books, very predictable and sophomoric.
• The characters were very one dimensional; the author obviously tried to put some thought into them, but it felt off, like he wasn't sure how people typically interact.
Jacinta Carter
Several years ago, The Happening tried to scare us by making us wonder what would happen if plants started to take over and kill people. Now, The Abscission Zone does the same thing. Neither one manages to pull off the concept successfully. Like The Happening, this novel doesn't delve deeply enough into answering how the plants have suddenly become so powerful, so it just feels like a random mystery that no one can solve. This book also tries to cram way too many storylines into a cohesive ...more
Patricia
I received this from NetGalley and the publisher for an honest review.
This was just an okay read. It seemed oddly disjointed at times. Hopping big spans of time without explanation. Don't get me wrong there were parts that I really liked. I liked the character of medicine man, but he's in the last quarter of the book. Perhaps the other books in the series are better.
Peter Kralka
An OK read. Has a disconnect. A main character Dock is killed and declared dead yet resurfaces 20 years later alive and well with not explanation of what happened.
USOM
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted so much to like this book, but I couldn't connect to the characters and for a while I was really confused by the plot. There were really cool descriptions of the plant and I did learn a few things during reading, which I enjoyed. But for the whole book I was largely confused and unsure how I felt about my protagonists.

full review: https://utopia-state-of-mind.com/revi...
Disclaimer: I received this book in exchange for an honest review from Netgalley.
Bonita Martin
Apr 08, 2017
Jane Pace
Sep 15, 2017
Jeanette
Apr 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-readers
I was looking forward to reading this novel, having won it recently in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

Although not my preferred genre, I do enjoy reading them now and again. This was an ok read and did struggle in parts whereby I nearly gave up. I shall be passing this novel on, in the hope that someone will enjoy more than myself.
Snake
rated it did not like it
Feb 25, 2017
Jenny
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Clever ideas, but odd execution?
I thought the idea for this book was great, but a lot of it was just weird. I wondered for a while if I had inadvertently got hold of a horror novel, as this could certainly surprise the reader who, like me, was not expecting some rather gruesome and scary scenes. There were huge hops in time between parts of the book, which did come as a surprise, and the ending was rather sudden - I had wondered why the story hadn't been tidied up a long time before, and as I
Glenda
Mar 07, 2019
Gazmend Kryeziu
Shelley
Jan 10, 2017

• The Meating Room (DCI Gilchrist, #5)
Samuel Muggington has written seven novels and is currently working on the third volume in the Pomroy's World series.

Samuel Muggington's works are listed below:

Who's The Lucky Guy?