Start by marking “Boob Jubilee: The Mad Cultural Politics of the New Economy: Salvos from the Baffler” as Want to Read:

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  98 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Salvos of sane and humorous dissent from the worship of the almighty market. For A Magazine Dedicated to debunking the nation's business culture, the final years of the twentieth century overflowed with bounty. "It was the most spectacular outbreak of mass delirium that we are likely to see in our lifetimes, " wrote the editors of The Baffler. What was for others the dawn ...more
Published September 17th 2003 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published August 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Boob Jubilee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boob Jubilee

Llew
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
I keep thinking I'll love the Baffler. Cathartic cultural criticism of American hyper capitalism sold in record stores alongside zines, what's not to love? But every time I'm disappointed. It loses focus and beats up on undeserving topics. Makes me yearn for dry economic writers like Stiglitz. It's like reading a very erudite teenager complain about his parents making him take the garbage out.
Andy
Jan 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
BJ is a comp of essays from the underground journal The Baffler. The pieces range from succinct, thoughtful and variously left-of-center brilliance (the Thomas Frank bits, Matt Roth's inside look at the Amway multi-level marketing company, Jim Frederick's spot-on expose on the much-abused practice of internship, itself part of a section entitled "Interns Built The Pyramids"), to the marginal rantings of the NeoMarxist, postmodernist lunatic fringe (Nelson Smith's "A Partial History Of Alarms", w ...more
Jay
Jul 23, 2008 rated it liked it
The Baffler, it seems, is the anti-culture-industry culture & criticism magazine-- DIY, populist, angry, well-read. The kids who found grad school pretentious but still read better than their classmates; the bitter woman in tweed at the good dive bar. They're anti-bourgeois of course, but also anti-bohemian the minute they get a whiff of self-satisfaction or social indifference.

As a volume, this book is exhausting. Some of my favorite essays in here-- Thomas Frank's work on social atomizati
Lobstergirl
Mar 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, business-finance

I used to sometimes buy the Baffler at my local bookstore and revel in its sharp, anti-managerial-capitalistic, anti-free-market screeds. Reading these pieces, most from the late 90s, feels like entering a time warp. The tech stock market crash was fresh in the writers' minds as they assembled the anthology. But somehow every economic crash feels very different, and many of these pieces don't have a huge amount of relevance to our latest Great Recession. Articles about Amway are always a fun rea
Beth Barnett
May 28, 2007 rated it really liked it
The subtitle is the cultural politics of the New Economy. More essays from the Baffler's late '90s through 2002 issues. Some essays/articles are better than others, but there are some real gems in here, both informative and entertaining. I particularly like T. Frank's essay "The God that Sucked" and some of the essays about interns and about credit.
Stuart
Greatly enjoyable volume cultural and economic criticism. Not quiiiiite as good as Commodify Your Dissent, but still full of excellent laughs and acerbic commentary on the absurdity of the New Economy. Especially amusing reading within the context of the eminent collapse of global capitalism.
Jonathan
Nov 29, 2013 rated it liked it
We are doomed.
David Robertus
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Some of the best writing outside of the New Yorker. Truly witty, funny, insightful, thoughtful articles still relevant almost a decade later.
Peter D. McLoughlin
Apr 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Skewers business culture and "hip capitalism" lots of fun.
Me2
Mar 03, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: economy
I didn't read all the way through this book. It was not really informative, it was just a collections of economic satires.
Mark
rated it did not like it
Sep 14, 2015
Feb 08, 2012
Nigel
Jul 12, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Thomas Frank is the author of Pity the Billionaire, The Wrecking Crew, and What's the Matter with Kansas? A former columnist for The Wall Street Journal and Harper's, Frank is the founding editor of The Baffler and writes regularly for Salon. He lives outside Washington, D.C.
More about Thomas Frank...