Start by marking “Nanoshock (SINless, #2)” as Want to Read:
Nanoshock (SINless, #2)

Nanoshock

(SINless #2)

Cyberpunk fallen angel Riko is back, in KC Alexander’s outrageous sequel to the savage Necrotech.

As Riko works to rebuild her shattered cred, following the events of Necrotech, she’s stuck fighting off every jerk looking to raise their standing on the streets. But when a corp with some serious influence ups the stakes, Riko’s going to have to take the fight to them, put t
Published November 2nd 2017 by Angry Robot

To ask other readers questions about Nanoshock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nanoshock

Bradley
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-shelf, sci-fi
Wow.

What a ride! I mean, I'm a die-hard fan of anything cyberpunk, but this one takes things to a whole new level of pacing, action, great story, great characters, and above all, a rip-roaring fun time.

I will not spoiler this, but I can say that it's even better than the first book. I'm not saying the quality is all that different, but so much more seems to happen in this one. More development, more emotional backlash, more tension, more mindblowing implications.

It picks up our nearly cred-less
Michael Hicks
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Nanoshock, the second in K.C. Alexander's SINless series, finds foul-mouthed Riko on the outs with both her corporate sponsor and her street-level gang of killers, her credibility shattered (likely beyond repair) for the murder of her teammate and lover, and an enemy operating in the shadows with the express purpose of killing her.

Alexander kicks things off in grand fashion with what might be the best opening line of 2017, and perhaps ever, with Riko musing, “You haven’t lived until you’ve fist
Lynn K : Grimmedian
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
K C Alexander has a truly unique voice in books. I have been reading her work for years. I immediately heard that unique stylein her first book series in a different genre and I knew I would recognize that unique flavor anywhere I found it. Alexander is a very accomplished story crafter, and in the midst of a deeply personal crisis, and a burst of creative rage at being told what she could and could not write, she created Riko. Lucky for us!

Riko is a street thug, with a diamond steel arm and a p
Sonja (aka Yashima)
So just for shit and giggles here's the first sentence of the book.

You haven't lived until you've fisted a nun under the cheap light of a neon Jesus.

If you think you can take a book that follows that sentence, go ahead and try. I apparently couldn't and it would have ended up being a 3* except...

Both books - Necrotech as well - probably highly depend on the mood of the reader (yes most books do but...). This time it was like eating raw steak, when I really wanted to indulge in chocolate. And
C.T. Phipps
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cyberpunk
I like KC Alexander a great deal and think of NECROTECH as one of the best books to come out last year. Unfortunately, I come not to praise Caesar but to bury him here because I think Nanoshock had a few problems. Namely, the biggest problem is that absolutely nothing happens in this book after the awesome set up in the first volume.

Well, the book opens with her having non-traditional sex with a nun and that's certainly memorable but the rest of the book kind of just happens. We don't get any ne
Jennifer Jamieson
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
After the shitshow she went through trying to find out what happened to her and her necro-converted girlfriend, Riko isn't quite sure what exactly she did that tanked her mercenary cred quite this badly.

She's got to figure it out though, or she's done for.

Nanoshock is the next book in the SINless series (first book was Necrotech), and it carries the same groin-punch dose of action peppered with all the grit and swearing you could ever ask for. Alexander delivers no-holds-barred at a barreling pa
Searska GreyRaven
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
The profanity and blasphemy alone are worth it. The awesome cyberpunk is the icing on top.
Fraser Simons
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: post-cyberpunk
"A bleeding sun in a nuclear haze"

I enjoyed my time with the previous novel, Necrotech, a lot. Be forewarned that if you don't like the "unlikeable" protagonist trope, this might not sway you. But then again, it just might. Necrotech was the day after a hangover. Riko was figuring her shit out and although the emotional reaction was there...it didn't hit me as hard as Nanoshock.

"...was half out the door when the chipset installed at the base of my skull thrummed; a haptic tap, like a finger poki
Lauren
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Riko’s got no clue what she did wrong or what happened to her six months ago. She’s got no clue if she actually sold out Nanji like everyone says she did. Worse, that’s killed her cred and her reputation. With leads colder than diamond steel and nowhere to turn she’s going to have to break every rule she knows to get to the bottom of this. Riko’s in a tight spot. People are after her. Feel sorry for them.

K. C. Alexander’s Nanoshock is the follow up to Necrotech, a violent profane thrill ride of
Kevin C
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
K.C. Alexander's "Nanoshock" is an absolutely filthy book that captures a scumbag life of a rage-filled woman kicking as much ass as she possibly can. It is glorious, and written so beautifully, it almost cancels out the vulgarity of the expletives.

I'm not saying the cursing is bad, though a little heavy even for someone with a filthy mouth. But the prose, the description, is so gorgeous, so perfectly crafted, it really makes it quite beautiful. and that's hard to do, with F-bombs and every oth
Elizabeth
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Riko is back and more vulgar than ever. Her cred is almost completely destroyed and she's working for a corporation. If anyone else knew, the saints would kill her for it. She still has months of missing memories and the blame for killing her girlfriend Nanji. Now, someone has a grudge against her sells her out, causing other gangs to view her as weak and ripe for killing her to collect more cred. It's all evil corporations, no help, and violence at every turn for Riko.

Nanoshock is the sequel to
Michael
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Like "Nectrotech," the first of K.C. Alexander's "SINless" books, "Nanoshock" is grotesquely violent and obscene. It's also hyperkinetic, gripping, and frustrating. Riko, the book's first-person narrator, is a postapocalyptic mercenary Amazon who is deeply loyal to her friends, deadly with a gun or her bionic arm, and plagued by a very deep self-destructive streak. In "Necrotech," Riko wakes up from several months that she cannot remember and learns that she has betrayed all of her old criminal ...more
Matthew Marchitto
A relentless gut-punch of a ride. Nanoshock starts off at eleven and then proceeds to break the dial into tiny little pieces. Riko gets pushed to the limit as she's desperate to get her cred back and find out some hint to the corporate conspiracy introduced in the first book. This time we're really sold on how far Riko has fallen, and how much of her old life she's lost. She's hanging on by her fingernails while shit just keeps getting worse.

K.C. Alexander uses language like an electrified rivet
Hteph
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-my-library
I have been mulling on what rating to give this book, but as the ending have stayed with me for a week now I think a fiver is the only correct answer.
Someone said about this that K.C Alexander to not write words as much as she fures them into your head with a railgun.
And it is true, there is not anything merciful or nice about this. It is pure violence, hate and body horror from start to end.
It is a while since I read the classic cyberpunk books but I remember them as quite well behaved and cl
John
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mayhem

If you enjoy reading about life with the gloves definitely off (from a distance) then this is a book written from the view of a splatter artist. As in. Splatter. Artist.
With a low opinion of some of the “bright ideas” embraced by a few (fictional) corporate entities, and a close up feel for the impact on people of decisions made directed solely by immediate power gain, this is a powerful read.
Please read responsibly.
PS: might be a little naughty language here and there.
PPS: Good portrayal
Terry Marine
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
A continuation of her first book; and the zombies are back. They are less important in this book; with the emphasis being on who is trashing Riko's "cred". I can't recall who it was, as that wasn't given as a big revelation. And it is doubtful we'll ever find out, as the book ends with Riko's suicide. But you know sci-fi. She could wake up in a lab somewhere; cursing smeg this and cunting that. I gave this book three stars, because the characters are great; the action is good, and the plot's pro ...more
Mark
Feb 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cyberpunk, fantasy
Well, while it didn't end as I expected and I was annoyed at the deus ex machina keeping the protagonist alive through all sorts of careless desicions I can honestly say that the ending was better than I expected.

Look, this series isn't for everyone. It's brutal and Alexander doesn't hold back on language or sexuality. However the cyberpunk ethos is very alive under all the shock value. I'm just going to leave it at that and make this short and sweet. If you're looking for good cyberpunk and are
Sontaranpr
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The profanity, the sweet never ending profanity. You came for the violence but we all stayed for the profanity. This is not a book for the light hearted. Violent, profane, probably considered blasphemous to some considering the very first line.

Cyberpunk that'll kick your ovaries in and steal your favourite knife on the way out. People say these books aren't like those in the old days. They're right, these books are better.

And wait till you see the ending Kace leaves us with.
Anna
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Oooof that was a shit ending. As in, nicely done but OUCH. Dammit where is the next one?!?

This one didn't feel as juiced up manic energy as the first book. Also answered fewer questions, somehow. Not as many tingly moments of anticipation. Still a fun read that grinds to dust the fragile female stereotype. Mostly. Chick still needs saving. But it's a believably human need.
Van
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Cyberpunk and sci-fi adults and older teens.
Unique style. It tends to move very quickly, you have to put it down a take a breath. She has a unique set of values drilled into her by the streets and reaction to any encounter or stimulus come from that and keeps you on your toes. Really like the authors style and would read anything else that she’s written.
Dana Cameron
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
After the masterpiece of Necrotech, I expected a lot from Nanoshock. I was, however, sadly disappointed. It felt like the story was sort of flailing around without knowing where it was going or why. In many ways, it read like a fanfic of Necrotech, not a sequel. Even so, I will pick up the next one when it comes out.
Jay Quietnight
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great follow-up to Necrotech. Once you dig past all the gunshots and vulgar language, you'll realize this is a very cleverly written story. The ending alone is worth reading this book. Looking forward to the next in this series.
David
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Stop me if you’ve heard this one: a linker, a fixer, two splatter specialists and a corporate dickhead walk into a chopshop...”

4.5/5 - I enjoyed this book more then the first maybe because the story keeps getting more interesting, it was brutal!!
Christopher Jones
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From an amazing opening line to an intense closing closing chapter I absolutely enjoyed this book. I'm sad though that this is the end. I hope Alexander continues with more novels set in this universe.
John
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, sci-fi
Hmm. Most of it is in a similar vein to the previous one. But then in just the last ten pages or so it takes a hard left into what-the-fuck-just-happened territory, and I'm really not sure whether the resultant cliffhanger has left me more or less interested in picking up the next one.
Brandon
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A worthy sequel. I look forward to more.
Luther Siler
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Add a point if you're a Language Person. Thoroughly enjoy the prose but I felt like the story consistently gets lost.
Colin
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this book now

A terrific thrill ride of a book for anyone who loves Cyberpunk. Great razor sharp writing and bespoke vulgarity that has made me a fan for life
Timothy
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Woof. That ending.
Kash
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still reads like a fucked up cyberpunk tabletop campaign. I liked it, but I'm ready for Riko to have nice things.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

SINless (2 books)
  • Necrotech (SINless, #1)
“the briefest flash of pale, pale ice over a thin-boned shoulder. Neon caught the red lotus splayed on her elbow and lit it on fire.” 1 likes
“Any children born within the city are squeezed out with the standard nano package. It’s programmed in, parent to kid. First thing they do is carve a Security Identification Number into the fetal brain, upload that data to the system.” 0 likes