Start by marking “Softies: Simple Instructions for 25 Plush Pals” as Want to Read:
Softies: Simple Instructions for 25 Plush Pals

Softies: Simple Instructions for 25 Plush Pals

Stirred by the Japanese craze for plush toys called "softies," veteran crafter Therese Laskey commissioned acclaimedartists from around the world to create projects to share. From Japan to Israel to Chile to Texas, each artist brings a wicked sense of fun to the 25 cute, weird, edgy, or artful creations offered here: a cupcake pincushion; delicate snow bunnies; a peculiar ...more
Published August 13th 2007 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Softies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Softies

Start your review of Softies: Simple Instructions for 25 Plush Pals
Andrienne
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book out of curiosity. Me, the person who had to turn to her crafty cousins to make her sewing homework back in high school. I thought, what the heck, as long as I can still use my sewing machine, I'll do it. There was something about hand sewing that scared the stitches out of me. I was delightfully surprised that when push comes to shove and an hour of trying to use a sewing machine to make a simple dot of an eyeball didn't work, I relented and started hand sewing. It felt gre ...more
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: diy
I purchased this at a used bookstore. So I don't have the patterns. I still think that I can manage the Ms. Green Tea Bag and the treeling (which I'll alter to make a rose bush). Cute projects. Good jumping off point. I haven't started yet, but it gives me some good ideas for starting.

I don't think that I'll figure out the ice cream cone quite yet. Which is a pity, because I kind of wanted to make an ice cream cone.

Maybe because I don't have the patterns, I see this as an inspirational book. B
Jocelynne Broderick
May 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crafts
Cute stuffies! I'd make the tree, but I think that's all. I had hoped another reviewer's note that the book included "poo" would prove to be untrue, but no. There is a poo, and not only that, he's lonely cuz he stinks. That's his little backstory. :/

I think I've seen some of these in other books too, that's annoying. It's like the people shopped their designs to a bunch of publishers, or one publisher put it in several different books. What's this world coming to when there aren't enough softies
Cynthia
Jul 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Oh, this book is so much decadent, sewing fun! I have made four or five or the sweet felted creations you will find within the pages of this adorable book and Therese Laskey's instructions are fabulous. She not only gives you instruction on sewing stitches from the simple to the complex, but includes easy to use patterns for each of the felt "softies" or stuffed creatures that inhabit the pages of the book. Don't miss out if you are a crafter or seamstress/seamster!
Apr 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Several really cute projects, and a few that are just bizarre. Haven't had the chance to make any yet, but they are rated by how easy they are, and my daughter is eager for summer to come. We're going to try every project except for one...the lonely dollop of poo. (Blech! Who wants that as a stuffed toy?)
Penny
Dec 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Love the book...currently making some projects for Christmas gifs. The softies are all cute & can be easily changed & personalized by using different fabrics & embellishments. Helps to have some sewing knowledge, as there are not detailed instuctions or pictures. ...more
Rae
Jan 24, 2010 rated it liked it
I bought this book because the whale and the tree on the front cover are stinkin adorable. I haven't made any of the projects yet, but I like to peruse it from time to time. Some books are just good for that.
Jennifer B.
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
There are some nice designs in here, some of which are quite unique. Lots of animals and other objects, like trees, teeth, and even a poo! Each with eyes and personality! It also comes with the patterns on separate sheets. You just have to cut them out. Nice!
Jessietaylortanner
Meh. There were a couple that I would like to make, but most were too weird (even for me) and it even includes a pile of poo softie. Seriously. If it hadn't been a $4 buy on Amazon I might be pissed that I bought it- I will use it for the couple that are cute, but don't recommend it.
Nicole
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book has lots of unusual but east patterns for making your own sewn toys.
melissa
Aug 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lifestyle-nf
i love handmade toys. these are easy to do and super cute.
Kristin B
Feb 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
enough ideas to make a sewer's fingers bleed...
Seana
Oct 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: crafty kids
Love all the fun and easy stuff in this book, plus it comes with removable pattern pages for easy copying.
Christine
Jan 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Adorable softies. I love books like this for inspiration and ideas.
Emily
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The only problem with this book is I'd rather make the softies than read anything new.
Amy
Oct 15, 2007 rated it liked it
I bought this book to teach myself how to make some fun stuffed things. I have many ideas in my head for making my own versions of softies so I figured I should do some research.
ereeese
Jul 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Cute things for Nina's Bday! Project 4862;)
Karen
Jul 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I luv this book not only because I'm in it... but because it showcases various craft styles, techniques and softies. Images are beautiful, instructions easy to follow, ring binding is perfect.
Apr 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I began to make the adorable ice cream sandwich in this book. Good details, comes with templates.
Michele
Jan 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: crafting
These patterns are kind of random, but there are a couple that are really cute. The instructions are excellent - I think even a beginner could follow them and turn out a successful project.
Sara
Nov 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: crafters
This arrived as part of my Amazon order about an hour ago and I already read all of the pictures. I can't wait to make some softies. It's going to be amazing, I bet.
Dawn
Sep 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Crafty Craftersons
Recommended to Dawn by: Powell's Bookstores
SOOOOO not literature, but still a book I read, and some great, doable ideas!
Lisa
Jul 23, 2013
Deana
Jan 30, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Greenglass House (Greenglass House #1)
  • The Phantom Tollbooth
  • Doodle Stitching: the motif collection
  • Bertie Plays the Blues (44 Scotland Street, #7)
  • The Unbearable Lightness of Scones (44 Scotland Street, #5)
  • The Importance of Being Seven (44 Scotland Street, #6)
  • The World According to Bertie (44 Scotland Street, #4)
  • 44 Scotland Street (44 Scotland Street, #1)
  • Felt Wee Folk—New Adventures: 120 Enchanting Dolls
  • House of Trelawney
  • Cake Pops: Tips, Tricks, and Recipes for More Than 40 Irresistible Mini Treats
  • The Innocence of Father Brown (Father Brown, #1)
  • The Common Rule: Habits of Purpose for an Age of Distraction
  • Bleak House
  • The End of the Affair
  • Subversive Seamster: Transform Thrift Store Threads Into Street Couture
  • Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3)
  • Brush Lettering Made Simple: A Step-by-Step Workbook to Create Gorgeous Freeform Lettered Art

News & Interviews