Start by marking “The Decline” as Want to Read:

The Decline

The outbreak devastated entire nations; what little hope would be found here?

It has been weeks since the First Wave broke, and a woefully unprepared mankind has steadily lost ground to the tide of infected. Overwhelmed by the sheer number and ferocity of the afflicted, the official response has abandoned its inland posts and collapsed back to the last line of defensible te
Published December 22nd 2016 by Tellwell Talent

To ask other readers questions about The Decline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Decline

Start your review of The Decline
Kat
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Post-apocalyptic novels, especially zombie fiction, are a favorite of mine, so this was a real treat. Author Christopher Jessault clearly knows his craft, fleshing out a bleak world where survivors are left to carve out bunkers and defensible outposts as the undead or “infected” in this novel swarm across the city. It’s set in cold, snowy Canada, which is a lovely setting for such a novel, adding to the bleakness. Food is scarce. The survivors are starving.

We’re introduced to an array of charac
Ann Pratley
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Holy shmoly, this was certainly a book to get and keep my heart pumping! The lively use of language and description definitely brought to life the solemness of the situation the characters are in. The blend of their hope combined with their desperation and a sense of doom is incredibly written, making it easy to relate and feel the characters' emotions.

It is a book that I found very easy to read in one long sitting - the tempo of the situations presented was one that made it impossible for me t
Wilde Sky
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
An infection has decimated the Earth’s population and caused the planet to be overrun by zombies. The few survivors must fight the infected as well as the elements and other un-infected people.

The action scenes are very good and the plot moves on at a fast pace. The characters, dialogue and ruthless actions of some of the survivors are all believable. As I read this book I kept thinking of “The Walking Death” as some of the themes are similar – although the story unfolds in a different manner.

My
C.F. Rabbiosi
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Decline, with its exceptional detail follows the story of several characters in the unforgiving winter of Canada. They must survive not only a ghastly hoard of infected beings from ripping them to shreds, but also live in fear of starvation, infection, and the threat of their fellow survivors.

Though it does have a very familiar plot, every scene that involves his ghouls are chilling and even jaw-dropping at times: "Several of the cars scattered through the parking lot were occupied. The dea
Casey Bartsch
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I decided the other day that I have read far too many zombie novels. Most of them are terrible, but The Decline isn't one of them. I only wish that I had read it earlier, as I think the basic idea of"zombies" is tainted for me.

Jessulat takes the Walking Dead approach, and this is not a criticism, nor is it to say that he has copied that plot. I mean that he has taken the road of "people are the real monsters", and it serves the book well. The backstories of the characters are some of the best mo
RedRedtheycallmeRed
There were too many characters to keep track of in this story, particularly since some of them seemed to have a storyline started and then no follow through (like the radio guy and the girl looking for a protector, or the teenager and redhead girl). Even the characters that had more page time didn't have a lot of depth to them, I didn't really find myself truly caring what happened to them.

I liked the Canadian setting, the harsh temperatures added to the bleakness. There's plenty of action and g
Rachael Thompson
love post-apocalyptic tales and although this one had a similar storyline (outbreak leading to infected taking over and a small groups efforts to survive), I found the book took a bit of a different angle than others I have read. What I enjoyed the most was the backstories of all the survivors. The book begins with a small group, bunkered up and the author gives information on how they all got there. Also, interesting pieces of their stories pop up as the story develops further. I have to admit ...more
Phillip Murrell
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
There are good zombie books and bad ones. This one falls in the former category. You won't find anything special about this. People will try to survive in a bleak environment, some will screw others over. It's the same thing you've seen before, but it was done mostly well. There's a reason why there are so many Robin Hood stories: people like them. If you need something to replace your Walking Dead comics void, this is worth a shot. The rest of my review will contain spoilers.

The Good.
I liked An
Dustin Martin
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Decline revolves around the last human colony within the frozen wasteland of a Canadian city as they struggle to survive amidst the zombie apocalypse. However, with supplies scarce, and hope of rescue running on empty, the colony must face more drastic means of retaining control and surviving, or risk succumbing to the zombie hoard that constantly lurks within the city.

Right off the bat, I’ll get two things out of the way. I don’t read zombie fiction much, so if you’re wondering if this woul
William Bitner Jr.
Genre - Post-Apocalyptic/Survival/Zombie
Pages - 337

Just finished reading “The Decline” by Christopher Jessulat. I would like to thank Christopher for the ebook copy of this book. It is much appreciated. This was a very fast-paced and nicely flowing Post-Apocalyptic/Survival/Zombie read. A refreshing type of read, as it was very much character driven, opposed to depending only on the gore and guts usually found in these types of reads. There were a few different scenarios going on throughout the
James Sillwood
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Decline tells the story of a small group of survivors in a post apocalyptic world in Canada where the infected or zombies roam the streets.
Survivors have taken refuge in a guarded compound. This is a world where the usual rules no longer apply and the characters have to do what ever they can to survive. Andrew wastes days attempting to make the radio work, and Lynn flirts with anyone to get what she wants. After becoming increasingly concerned by the erratic behaviour of Quinn, who runs the
Dora Ilieva
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Decline by Christopher Jessulat is a fast-paced zombie-horror fiction that makes one think of The Walking Dead. The setting is New Brunswick, a beautiful Canadian province. The book is well-written and offers beautiful descriptions of the Maritime landscape, as well as detailed accounts of horrific battles between people and ghouls. The military experience of the author shines in the war scenes. The book also touches upon important themes such as loyalty, friendship and love. I found it quit ...more
Shelbie
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! A great debut novel set during an apocalyptic future featuring zombies. I struggled to put the book down - the author drives you forward through the story using excellent character development and exciting action scenes throughout the adventure. I can't wait to see what is next for this author, and I'm hoping a continuation of the story is in the works! Definitely recommended! ...more
Stacey Bryan
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I definitely felt like I was back in season one of “The Walking Dead” while reading Christopher J’s “The Decline.” And that’s a good thing, ‘cause I think we all know that was the best season.

Jessulat’s writing is crisp and bleak, painting a desolate end-of-the-world zombie picture that rises above the masses of undead stories, in my opinion. Even when describing blood and gore, this author put an effort into presenting those images sometimes in almost lyrical language that created an odd but i
L.N. Denison
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fairly easy read. It had everything you could ever ask for in an apocalyptic story. Hoards of zombies, check. A group of people fighting to survive, check.

The story is set in Canada, with the usual apocalyptic scenarios attached, which I love. The story was engaging and fast paced, and very well constructed. The character were believable and you can definitely relate to them and feel everything they are going through... and the willingness to do anything to survive was always there th
Ellie Aiden
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Decline is a zombie based book that resembles The Walking Dead only better in every way. The author details the characters and environment in a way that made me feel like I was really there. Everything was well-developed.

This is one that deserves more visibility, and I hope the author gets it because this was truly a great book. I was hooked and felt like I was watching a t.v. show.

I highly recommend!
S.C. Eston
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. People interested in post-apocalyptic and zombie stories should keep The Decline in mind. It is a good debut novel, with a uniqueness that I found refreshing.

The story follows a group of survivors in an eastern Canadian city, as they face raging ghouls and a harsh winter. Their worse enemy, though, is themselves, as they struggle not to turn on each other.

Although I found the writing and the flow could have been tighter in some places, several of the descriptions are striki
Paz Ellis
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Decline by Christopher Jessulat is a dystopian story that takes place in a Canadian after a Zombie apocalypse. The story kept my interest from beginning to end. I enjoyed the unique characters. Unlike most Zombie tales, this one dealt more with the survivors scavenging for provisions, and the tensions between the survivors— never really knowing who was trustworthy and who was not.
I normally do not ready Zombie stories, but this book kept me on the edge and I really enjoyed it!
Norma Nikutowski
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A group of Canada refugees try to escape an infectious outbreak.
The survivors have a safe zone and jobs to protect each other from the zombies. You get a clear picture of how everything is organized to survive and protect each other. There are many problems such as the harsh freezing climate and conflicts among the survivors.
Quinn, struggles to hold the group together. He is willing to do whatever it takes to stay the leader of the group.
Things get worse as food and medicine supplies are scarce
Maven
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don’t normally read these type of post-apocalyptic books, but after coming across the haunting cover for this one, I had to check it out. I’m so glad I did as this story blew my mind! The author has an incredible way of setting an almost visceral mood with his descriptions. This added so much to the suspense of the story that I found myself holding my breath during several scenes. By the third chapter I couldn’t put the book down and I ended staying up almost all night to finish it.

Octavia
May 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shanet Outing
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It should be a series

I give this book a 4 stars because it ended in a way as if there will be more. That there should be more. What will happen to the Coast Guard location? Will there be another attack because of the explosion at the barricades? What will happen to the group of survivors leaving the city? There are some unanswered questions that may never be answered. I didn’t like the fact the Nigerian man died towards the end of the book despite staying alive for so long. He was one who sacri
Matt Gianni
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
From the start, it was clear that THE DECLINE by Christopher Jessulat was going to be a well-written dystopian tale. His descriptions of "dead yet reanimated" humans is entertaining. The narrative of how a spreading infection creates swarms of the dead, and how those uninfected must struggle to survive behind the walls of secure compounds, is told from various points of view.
The story starts with Anders, a Finn now stationed in New Brunswick, Canada, in what should have been a brief exchange pro
Jennifer Bourque
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Decline’s setting takes place right here in Saint John, and I must say it was a unique experience to have the ability to accurately envision all of the locations mentioned throughout the entire book. The book mentions many various locations all found in the uptown area of Saint John. The Decline is a story about a zombie apocalypse that happens right here in our hometown. The survivors have banded together in a safe zone, and now they must do everything they can to survive and protect one an ...more
Tamira Thayne
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who Dies with Me in the Zombie Apocalypse?

While the book starts off a little rough for me, once I actually got into the meat of it, the flow carried me along, and I couldn’t stop reading it, hence the five stars.

Granted, the entire time I’m reading a zombie book, I’m asking myself why I read zombie books, because the constant threat of death by zombie puts me on edge and causes me stress.

Yet, it’s also hard to look away. I often ponder what I’d be like in the zombie apocalypse as a result of see
Robert
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved the writer's style and flow. The author built a believable world through description and action. His use of "show it, don't tell it" kept me engaged throughout the vast majority of the story. I enjoyed the characters, although I never felt there was a "main" character--I felt the action and the story was more important than the characters. (I never really bonded with them, which is odd to say because I found them relatable.) The last 25 to 30% of the book flew by with non-stop ...more
Carolyn St-Denis
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
First of all, disclaimer: I haven't read too many Zombie novels, mainly because I imagine the storyline will be too predictable after having watched the Walking Dead. Yet, Jessulat's book had me biting my nails and sitting on the edge of my seat. It's bleak, and fast-paced, with vivid descriptions of the Canadian landscape. What I appreciated the most was how the author went into the back story of the colony, which made me care about them and had me really wanting them to survive. I don't know i ...more
Kevin Schillo
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I indulge in post-apocalypitc fiction mostly as a guilty pleasure. There's nothing remotely realistic about a zombie apocalypse, but that's not why you watch movies or read books on it. You do it for the fun of it. This book has nice characters you care about, a fast pace, and a touch of realism that make this genre enjoyable for me and make me appreciate indulging in a guilty pleasure. ...more
Wolf Wickham
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well written and gripping, this apocalyptic novel will hold your attention.
Adult language and lotsa combat scenes allow the story to flow along while building like a good zombie romp should.
At times stunning and depressing at others, the author holds the story together and pulls you along until the very end.
Its the survival of the fittest.
I give this realistic tale a solid four stars.
Leader of the Pack
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Incredibly vivid description; I felt like I was watching a movie instead of reading a book. Jessulat does a great job of keeping the suspense tight throughout the whole story. The in-depth knowledge of firearms definitely added to the realism.

• Find Me (Inland Empire, #1)
  • Trust No One
  • The City of Locked Doors
  • The Last Flight
  • Food for Love
  • The Lost and Found Bookshop
  • Don't Make a Sound (Sawyer Brooks, #1)
  • Dark (Blood Moon, Texas Shifters, #1)
  • By the Stars
  • Girl, Taken - A True Story of Abduction, Captivity, and Survival
  • Killshot (Icarus #1)
  • Twilights in Colorado (Colorado Crazy, #4)
  • Deadly Pursuit (Deadly #1)
  • Games Lovers Play: The Complete Series (Game Lovers Play #1-3)
  • Marker Stone (Through the Fold #1)
  • Love, Home At Last
  • First Love (Young Guns #7)
  • The Lantern Men (Ruth Galloway, #12)
Born in Moncton, New Brunswick but setting roots in Saint John, Christopher Jessulat has been a lifelong bookworm. Seeking an outlet that could accommodate his love of creative writing and the post-apocalyptic/science fiction/survival genres, his most recent project quickly took a “life” of its own, culminating in his first published novel – The Decline.

Christopher has a long history in combat spo

News & Interviews