Start by marking “Hand In Glove (Roderick Alleyn, #22)” as Want to Read:
Hand In Glove (Roderick Alleyn, #22)

Hand In Glove

(Roderick Alleyn #22)

Lady Banting has an inspired flair for outrageous parties, and a treasure hunt in the pleasant English countryside seems the perfect diversion for this elite group. But when the setting and circumstances inspire murder, Inspector Alleyn must locate a killer hiding amongst the gentry.
Published October 15th 1983 by Jove (first published 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Hand In Glove, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hand In Glove

Kathy
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am learning of the wonderful variety this author produced, each book a new experience. This was published in 1962 and centered on manners and snobbery along with good old misbehaving by those who could get away with it.
A strangely sympathetic older man who claims to be the last remnant of a very old family hires a young lady to assist him with typing and organizing his memories for a book. This particular young woman is a friend of Roderick and his artist wife. She is hired because she also fi
Shauna
A good addition to the series although I have noticed that Ngaio Marsh does rather an unpleasant line in aging spinsters. They always seem to be both pathetic and completely lacking in sympathy and they do crop up in an awful lot of her books.
Gillian Kevern
It's never possible to read just one Ngaio Marsh, is it?

I finished Dead Water and pretty much immediately picked up Hand in Glove. A really satisfying mystery with an interesting cast. A really strong, satisfying solution.
Bethany Holder
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hand In Glove is a "full" novel that proceeds along a steadfast path through and with romance, pets, parties, resentments, pride, and of course, suspicion, murder, and Superintendent Alleyn. I love Ngaio Marsh because her books seem timeless...the murders and people could all take place today, with a bit more assistance from technology:)
Anwen
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A period piece with characters drawn larger than life - the pretence of class showing in the stiffness of the characters. Who has killed a stuffy, pernickety and fussy lawyer? Alleyn must discover the murderer whilst pondering on the importance of a dog called Pixie. Great fun!
Kel
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I thought the butler did it. He didn't.
Susan
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some reason this was not as satisfying as most of the Alleyn books. It may have been the characters, only one or two of which were really likeable, although that is not always a disappointment. Percival Pyke Period (what a name!) is sharing the house with a lawyer, Henry Cartell, who owns a very obnoxious dog. Henry's sister also lives nearby; she has a very obnoxious ward called Moppett, on whom she dotes. One of Period's quirks is writing condolence letters to people who have lost someone. ...more
Lillian Carl
This is another Inspector Alleyn mystery, more or less set in a country house, with a cast
of over-the-top society characters. Published in 1962, it's set in the 50s. However, except
for one or two internal references, the story could just as well be set in the 20s. It's a
competent mystery but didn't engage me, not least because one of Marsh's writing tics---using the verb "ejaculate" instead of "exclaim" or the equivalent, over and over again---got to be very annoying very soon.
Rusty
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Ngaio Marsh, New Zealand crime writer and theatre director, wrote many mysteries beginning in 1933. Love these vintage mysteries and this one was not easy to solve. The murderer was not someone I suspected at all. Not sure about the motive but it was a good, good, read.
Susan Siow
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good read by Ngaio Marsh.
Audrey Stephens
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great characters in this book. Several laugh out loud descriptions of people. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Judith
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked Ngaio Marsh from the first time I read her work, which was as a teen. It immediately struck me as more personal, more emotional, more involved in the characters than the work of other mystery writers I had read. It was a break away from clever plotting to somewhat more complex situations, more character-driven.

It had been years since I read any of her work, having read everything of hers I could find many years ago. So it's been maybe 40 years or more.

I read this in a day. The story tak
Tim Hicks
Jun 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This was my first Marsh, or perhaps my second.

Parts of it seem dreadfully dated, don'tcha know, and others quite modern. Marsh was older than my grandmother, and I am not young; Marsh would have been 67 when this came out. "The writing style!" he ejaculated. "So many verbs that modern authors use more rarely," he exclaimed.

Annoying dogs. Gloves. The condolence notes. A Really Important Cigarette Case that made the Maltese Falcon look like a trifle. Endless references to all four. The plot migh
Shannon
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Devotees of Golden Age English mysteries
What fun to match wits with Dame Ngaio! And what a bonus to be right! Yes, I put my virtual money on the correct culprit about half way into this romp of a mystery! The more puzzling aspect of the whole book, which never is revealed, is why this particular group of people would be brought together in the first place? I hasten to add that most of them are related in various convoluted ways, but why is the victim, with his myriad relatives all around them, living at the home of one of the major su ...more
Marybeth
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one, despite the rather unlikable secondary characters this time around. One of my pet peeves is having to read a character who starts and stops while speaking, which means that I took a violent dislike to Mr. Period right away. His speaking style made me feel like I was being pulled in multiple directions at once, which was extremely distracting. The only likable characters, other than Alleyn, Fox, et. al, were Nicola and Andrew, which is typical of Marsh's stories. We can ...more
Erin
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-series
If this had somehow tied in to the treasure hunt I might have liked it, but this one was just....a bit dull, and not quite up to Marsh's usual standard. However, I realize that's what comes from reading all of the Alleyn mysteries in one fell swoop, and if I had been waiting for a year for a new one I would probably be thrilled to bits. (And, yes, after reading nothing but Christie and now Marsh (and working my way through her at an alarming pace), I do notice that, in my thoughts at least, I'm ...more
Vintagebooklvr
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Overall, a decent mystery. There were two different suspects that evidence pointed to for quite a while and if it had turned out to be either, I would have been disappointed. It would have been way too obvious, but in the end there was a twist. The characters are more than cookie cutter but the romance that develops between two characters, like most mysteries, doesn't come off well. I'm not reading this for the romance, but you almost wonder why they bother if they don't put a little bit more ef ...more
Chrystyna
Hand in Glove by Ngaio Marsh - Good

The second of my tea and mystery sweepstakes winnings and a perfect choice.

How did I not know about the Superintendent Alleyn mysteries? Vintage/cosy crime, this one was written in 1962 (Hmm, vintage? I'm older than that!) Very much in the Agatha Christie vein, along the lines of a country house murder. Nice little mystery, some obvious clues and red herrings and some less so. Nicely wrapped up at the end.

I shall be looking out for more on my travels.
Jj Li
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just didn't like anyone in the story. The nice young lovers are irrelevant, the bad young lovers are irritating, and everyone else is full of themselves, and I don't like genetic determinism and classicism (Surrounding the bad young girl's start in an orphanage because she's obviously the spawn of a prostitute, and nothing the love a good mother can do). The problem is interesting, nothing else is.
Susan
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Small village, Alleyn of course knows some of the people from his past. The hired secretary on the murder scene turns out to be friends with Roderick and Troy, and the interaction between Alleyn and Nicola is rather refreshing. Also the little romance that starts up is not between suspects. Nice comfortable little mystery read in between the other things I am trying to get through because I "think I should read." Really, too many books and too little time.
Gypsi
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-audiobooks
This is another of Marsh's Inspector Alleyn murder mysteries. One of Marsh's strengths is how well she introduces the characters before the actual event, letting the reader feel invested in the suspects and victim, as she does here. This book is also solidly plotted, and though the actual murder was a bit far-fetched, the overall whole was satisfying.
Christine Cody
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No matter how out of control the situation appears, once Roderick Alleyn shows up with his faithful team, including "Br'er Fox," we know the truth will come out, no matter how long it takes. Marsh was such a great writer. I cherish all these books as I read them as slowly as I am able. Sometimes, I just start over in the middle so I can pay even closer attention...
shawn marton
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

If you like Agatha Christie’s books you will enjoy the Inspector Allleyn mystery series. They are very well written and have well defined characters. I am looking forward to starting another one.
Jessica
My suspicions concerning the identity of the murderer proved false on this one. In fact, I had brushed the actual murderer aside as irrelevant; little more than a colorful stage prop. A good story, but not particularly memorable.
dmayr
One of Marsh's more interesting mysteries. I think I've read this before although I really can't remember the plot, so I went for the obvious suspect with the obvious motive. I was mistaken though, so it's delightful to still be surprised.
Nancy Cook-senn
Inspector Alleyn and "Brer" Fox at their quipping best.
B.E.
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting whodunnit. Not my amongst my favorites, but enjoyable.
Audrey
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I think at this point, she could just phone them in, but it was still enjoyable.
Sarah Webber
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Three stellar stories in a row. I did have an inkling of the culprit in this book but I wasn't sure. Still, fun, especially with a smattering of Troy.
Lynne Derus
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
memorable--shakespeare's son hamnet...
« previous 1 3 next »

• Flowers for the Judge (Albert Campion Mystery, #7)
  • Love Lies Bleeding (Gervase Fen, #5)
  • The Singing Sands (Inspector Alan Grant, #6)
  • The Chinese Shawl (Miss Silver, #5)
  • The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club (Lord Peter Wimsey, #5)
  • No Wind of Blame (Inspectors Hannasyde & Hemingway #5)
Dame Ngaio Marsh, born Edith Ngaio Marsh, was a New Zealand crime writer and theatre director. There is some uncertainty over her birth date as her father neglected to register her birth until 1900, but she was born in the city of Christchurch, New Zealand.

Of all the "Great Ladies" of the English mystery's golden age, including Margery Allingham, Agatha Christie, and Dorothy L. Sayers, Ngaio Marsh

Roderick Alleyn (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • A Man Lay Dead (Roderick Alleyn #1)
  • Enter a Murderer (Roderick Alleyn, #2)
  • The Nursing Home Murder (Roderick Alleyn, #3)
  • Death in Ecstasy (Roderick Alleyn, #4)
  • Vintage Murder (Roderick Alleyn, #5)
  • Artists in Crime (Roderick Alleyn #6)
  • Death in a White Tie (Roderick Alleyn, #7)
  • Overture to Death (Roderick Alleyn #8)
  • Death at the Bar (Roderick Alleyn, #9)
  • Death of a Peer (Roderick Alleyn #10)
“Desirée wore black for her April Fool’s party. On any other woman of her age it would have been a disastrous dress but, by virtue of a sort of inner effrontery, she got away with it. Her neck, her bosom and that dismal little region, known, prettily, as the armpit, were all so many statements of betrayal, but she triumphed over them and not so much took them in her own stride as obliged other people to take them in theirs.” 0 likes