Start by marking “Solitude (Dimension Space #1)” as Want to Read:
Solitude (Dimension Space #1)

Solitude

(Dimension Space #1)

From the Bestselling Author of the Sector 64 Series!

I Am Legend meets Gravity and The Martian when Earth's last man discovers that the last woman is stranded alone aboard the International Space Station. If you like action-packed, page-turning novels, you'll love the electrifying action in this apocalyptic thriller.

Can Humanity's Last Two Unite?

Separated by the gu

Published December 29th 2016 by CANDTOR Press

To ask other readers questions about Solitude, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solitude

Start your review of Solitude (Dimension Space #1)
Chris Smith
Jul 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
I don’t know why there are so many positive reviews. I read a lot of sci-fi and this was complete garbage. The plot was unoriginal and formulaic. There was little to no character development and the action scenes were overdone.

I kept waiting for something original and interesting to happen and continued to wait the entire book. I kept felt like I was reading some poor mash up of plot lines taken from the movies Castaway and Gravity, combined with The Martian.

The vocabulary of the author seemed
Karen’s Library
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: apocalyptic, tbr-2020
Well that was a fun listen for the most part. R.C. Bray and Julia Whelan’s performances are what really made this book exciting.

The entire population of humans AND animals on earth ALL disappear! Angela was on the space station and Vaughn was in a NASA experiment and wasn’t technically “on earth” so these two are the only survivors. Unfortunately, Angela is starving to death on the space station. Can Vaughn figure out how to rescue the lone astronaut?

This was an action packed book with lots and
David P. Duffy
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Mediocre SciFi Story Poorly Told

"Solitude: Dimension Space Book One," has a mediocre story, that is poorly told by its author, Mr. Dean M. Cole.

The near-time story, follows the two (2) MC's, lone survivors of an event, that has made all life, other than plants, disappear from Earth. One character is on Earth, while the other is stranded, alone on the ISS. The planet-side male MC, belatedly discovers the orbiting female MC, embarks on a haphazard rescue mission, as the energy event centered at th
Ben McBride
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The emotional rollercoaster 😭. I experienced every human emotion. The way the author made me part of this world, and had me living and dying with every event! The desperation at times was overwhelming. I can't wait for book 2.
AudioBookReviewer
My original Solitude audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

I had the pleasure of reviewing Dean Cole’s Duology of Sector 64. This made me extra super excited to have the chance to listen to Cole’s newest, Solitude. I have seen ads running in different places that calls this a cross between The Martian and I Am Legend. I know, right?! This got my interest doubly piqued. But, I don’t think I would have compared this to I Am Legend. Because, well, there were no zombie
Shawn Holman
Apr 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked it but didn't *really* like it. I felt like it was using The Martian as its template and so it felt very familiar because of that. Disaster happens. Find a solution. Everything goes wrong. Find another solution. Everything goes wrong. Find another solution. Everything goes wrong. Rinse and repeat for 300+ pages. I think some of that is exciting - The Martian got it right. But this was every single page and I got tired of it and just wanted to get to the end. That said, the plot of the st ...more
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary |
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Most of the time, when I hit the end of book one in a series, I have no problems stopping there. Generally, I’ve enjoyed what I’ve read, but have no strong desire to continue. However, when I hit the end of Solitude, I said a few words I can’t say in polite company, and immediately downloaded the second book. (Thankfully it too was available on KU.)

In case that wasn’t enough of a clue, let me state it outright: I loved this book. The writing wasn’t always perfect, but I was caught up in the stor
Joshua Gayou
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the spoiler-free review of the book Solitude by Dean M. Cole. For the full review including spoilers, see my site at:

It is important to note that I listened to this story in audio book format, so I'm including a rating for the performance of the narrators.

Writing: 5/5 Stars

The proficiency of Cole’s writing suggests that he is a person either naturally gifted or incredibly focused on perfectionism. The writing itself is natural and effortless both f
Steve
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An Empty World
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be the only person left on Earth? Ask yourself, what if you had no contact with anyone on the planet, no way of knowing if anyone else survived because all transmissions are nonexistent. What would you do?
This is exactly what Dean Cole wrote about in Solitude. He’s got a theoretical Physicist who, by luck (or was it?), misses her shuttle ride back down to Earth with her two companions and two aeronautical engineers testing a new inven
Donna Backshall
Solitude gave a fresh and original look to a well-used scifi theme. Was it entirely believable? Of course not, but it was fun and intense. Since I found the audio version irresistible -- come on, it was read by superstar narrators RC Bray *and* Julia Whelan, for gosh sakes -- I devoured Solitude like it was Haagen Dazs in danger of melting. I enjoyed it thoroughly, wanting to lick the bowl clean.

It was disappointing how quickly it dropped off, however. In the audio version, you just tune in and
Jen
4.5 stars rounded up. This is a great adventure! The suspense kept me riveted. Although there was a lot of science, I love science and was completely entertained by all the detail. And just the journey of having to get someone back from space was such a great premise.

I don't think I'd have enjoyed this nearly as much if it hadn't been narrated by RC Bray and Julia Whelan. Any other narrators would have made this a 3-star book. It just goes to show you what a fantastic audiobook performance can
Joan
Good fun read with plenty of techno-speak (I did skim a lot of that!). Nicely believable premise as well. I liked the fact that Vaughn was the total opposite of the usual smug, fit US alpha-whatsit usually portrayed in these sorts of books.

4 stars for a fun read. (and I'm reading the second in the series now)

(Personal note - the Kindle copy I downloaded had the same cover as the audio book, but there's no such edition here on GR. I prefer it to the cover here.)
Tom Wurzbach
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it
*** spoilers ***

I wish it was possible to give a book two different ratings. There are a lot of positive reviews for Solitude and several excoriating ones. Both review types are well deserved. It's an easy, afternoon read. I enjoyed the story and the female character, and the twist at the end, while very much out of left field, was just unexpected and twisty enough to hook me for book two.

I finished the book, and I'll read the next one because I want to know what happened to everyone. Any time
David
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
There's a TV comedy series called 'The Last Man on Earth' in which, as the sereis starts, the central protaganist believes that he's the last man alive after an epidemic has wiped out the rest of humanity. As the series progresses, however, we keep discovering more people alive, right up until the end of the first series when we discover his astronaut brother is still alive on the International Space Station.

Swap a brother for a female stranger and actually have the central character as the last
Jim Strasma
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting premise, and more to the story than I expected before reading it. Think of "The Martian", except with more disasters, more swearing and eventually a love story. I'd wondered how the author would explain there only being two humans left, one male and one female, and how that could be enough to restart the human race, but it turns out there may be more to the story - certainly more than this first book answered.

I was glad to see implications of the disaster worked out, and also the Mac
BookLoversLife
This sees two separate stories being told, one by a woman who is stuck on a space station and one by the last man on earth, when the apocalypse happened!

Army Aviator Vaughn Singleton is testing a new invention and is disconnected from the planet with his friend, when they lose all communications with everyone. They have no clue what is happening and are stuck in the machine till they can manually open it, but air is running out quickly!! They eventually get out but Vaughn's friend is killed and
Scott
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Solitude” is the first book in the Dimension Space series, authored by Dean M. Cole and the Audible narration is performed by two narrators, R.C. Bray and Julia Whelan. If you blend The Martian, Castaway, and an apocalyptic disaster theme into a single book and you get something resembling “Solitude”. It is an emotional rollercoaster ride ultimately focused on survival with enough suspense thrown in to keep you on your toes. If you like detailed stories having space, high action, strong relatio ...more
Mari (Smut Duchess)
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.75 - 4.0 ⭐

I read / listened to this book. The book is a KU and I picked up the audio when it was a daily deal.

A light wave passes over the planet and all life disappears. People, animals and insects. Only plants remain. Angela is a physicist stuck on the ISS with low provisions and no way home. Vaughn is a washed up army pilot who survived because he was part of a test that took place in a vacuum.

Vaughn has no clue as to why or where all the people and animals went. Angela knows that whateve
Cmoore
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic read... Vaughn finds himself alone after a disaster wiped out all life... he tries to come to terms with his humanity and his solitude... It's not until he finds an old newspaper that he realizes that Commander Angela Brown maybe alive... the problem is she's currently aboard the ISS and running out of power, food, and time!
This is the first time I've read a book by Dean M Cole, and I discovered that he can write a very intense, riveting story...
RC Bray and Julia Whelan team up,
odedo1
I own Solitude audiobook now for over a year but being busy as a reviewer I had no time to listen to my own audiobooks.
When Multitude came out a couple of days ago I decided it’s time to listen to the series.

About the book, I really liked it, I like the author style of writing “ really simple, nothing hard core “ making it fun and easy to understand it all.

Excellent narration without a doubt.

Fully recommend !!!

And now I’m moving on to Multitude hoping for an even better audiobook with some
Sheryl
This is an exciting sci-fi thriller and quite the “page turner”. The audiobook is excellently narrated by R.C Bray and Julia Whelan who bring Vaughn Singleton and Angela Brown to life. The last man and last woman on Earth scenario is somewhat predictable but no less exciting and interesting for it. I’m curious to see where Cole takes the story in the sequel. I only hope there is an audio for it because Bray and Whelan added something extra to the story.
Alexandra
4/6/17 Kindle Countdown Deal $.99, $1.99 to add Audible.
Barry
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2019
A real page-turner, post-apocalyptic setting, a dash of romance, a dash of personal development, a dash of the practical-problem solving we saw in "The Martian" - it's all good, if not deep.
J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I REALLY enjoyed this book. I hope the remainder of the series is as strong.

There are of course a few over the top moments, but the story was still a lot of fun.

Looking forward to getting into book 2.

Great narration
Cory Patrick
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Worth your time. I try to think of ways to make a review helpful. If you want something like The Martian, An adventure with good character development and intrigue this is for you. If you're looking for a fantasy novel disguised with space ships...well this ain't that, but it's good so read it it anyway.
Dusty Sharp
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Author Dean M. Cole states right on the cover that this is book one in a series, and indeed the story contained therein does set the stage for what promises to be a compelling extended story. That said, Solitude: Dimension Space Book One could very well stand on its own as a single installment post-apocalyptic thriller. Of course we’re left wondering what caused the apocalypse, and where the survivors will go from here, but the events of the first book are brought to a tidy, satisfying conclusio ...more
Dave
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Action packed from beginning to end, nice
Thomas Allen
I listened to this as an audiobook.

Guy does something stupid and endangers himself. Guy does something else stupid and endangers himself. Guy does something else stupid and endangers himself. Suddenly guy does something super smart and miraculous and fixes it all. Then guy does something stupid and endangers himself. And so on and so on and so on.

Dean M. Cole REALLY wanted to recreate the feeling of Andy Weir's The Martian. But this book just does not get there. It seems like the Mr. Cole only k
Matthew Wentworth
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
A fair concept, I suppose; however, I didn't realize it was possible to make an apocalypse so boring...

Certainly a "Martian" wannabe (the narrative even goes so far as to mention the Weir novel by name), it never reaches that same level of intrigue and the characters don't even come close to the depth and likability of Mark Watney.
Michael
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
A modern take on rescuing the princess story. Lacked character development which caused the reader to not be emotionally invested.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Freefall (Mavericks, #2)
  • All Gifts, Bestowed
  • Level Five
  • 2nd Gen
  • Valkyrie (Expeditionary Force, #9)
  • The Others
  • Orion Colony (Orion Colony #1)
  • Armageddon (Expeditionary Force, #8)
  • Outland
  • Undo the Digger (Worldship, #1)
  • The Paths Between Worlds (This Alien Earth #1)
  • Planetside (Planetside #1)
  • Terminus (Threshold, #4)
  • Prominence (Blackstar Command, #1)
  • Spaceside (Planetside #2)
  • Make Me King (Mountain Man #5)
  • Commune: Book One (Commune #1)
  • The Unsung (After the Galaxy #1)
Amazon Top 20 and Audible Top 10 Author Dean M. Cole, a retired combat helicopter pilot and airline pilot, has penned multiple award-winning apocalyptic tales. Solitude, book one of Dimension Space, won the 2018 ABR Listeners Choice Award for Best Science Fiction. Previously, IndieReader named Dean's first full-length novel, Ambush: A Military SciFi Thriller, to their Best of 2014 list. His sixth ...more

Dimension Space (3 books)
  • Multitude (Dimension Space #2)
  • Amplitude (Dimension Space #3)