Start by marking “A Shining in the Shadows (Gabriel Davenport #2)” as Want to Read:
A Shining in the Shadows (Gabriel Davenport #2)

A Shining in the Shadows (Gabriel Davenport #2)

4.65  ·  Rating details ·  62 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Menacing dark fantasy and paranormal suspense combine in the second book of this reader acclaimed supernatural series (Gabriel Davenport) from British author Beverley Lee

Gabriel Davenport has been remade from darkness. Now, he must adapt to survive .

In a small seaside town, Gabriel's maker unwittingly takes his wards into the throes of a deadly new game. There are rum
Published April 7th 2017 by Ink Raven Press

To ask other readers questions about A Shining in the Shadows, please sign up.

Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm very serious when I say that Beverley can gladly assume the position of my favorite, modern day author of Vampire fiction. A Shining in the Shadows is the sequel to Lee's debut novel, The Making of Gabriel Davenport. And sometimes, if the first book is so well loved and amazing, the second book suffers from a bit of the "sequel doldrums". Not in this case!
This book far exceeded my expectations! Without any fancy or fussy introductions, we get the pleasure of jumping right back into the story
Nils | nilsreviewsit
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
‘I’m working on being at one with the night, a shadow of a shadow. Because sometimes I feel like the dark is my only friend.’

A Shining in the Shadows is the sequel to The Making of Gabriel Davenport by the lovely Beverley Lee. This book starts off dealing with the aftermath of the ending of the first book, as we delve into Gabriel’s new world.

I don’t want to say too much about the plot, because if you haven’t read the first one yet, then you really don’t want to know any spoilers. Let’s just say
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Gabriel has woken up into a brand new life, unable to see anyone from his past and learning his new ways. In the vampiric world, things are getting bloody. New problems arise with the talk of impure blood vampires being hunted - a cleansing. Gabriel finds himself, along with his brothers, having to fight to save his new family while still trying to fit in and control his new abilities. The past comes back to haunt him while he fights for his future. How can he find a way to survive without compl ...more
Beverley Lee
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I finished my continuity read of Shadows and it's now filled with post it notes to check against my current draft of The Purity of Crimson. Which leads to that awkward moment when you have to rate your own book....

At the time of writing it has 50 ratings with an average of 4.74 so I think I'm okay to go with a 5!
Sarina Langer
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having devoured Lee's debut novel last year I was really excited to get my hands on the sequel. And it delivered! Book 2 was every bit as thrilling, with new plot twists and new fascinating developments - and, of course, new cliffhangers setting up Book 3 - but no spoilers there ;)

Come to me, she whispered, and the fireflies in her eyes took flight.

The focus at the beginning is on Clove's little group; however, previous POVs still made plenty of appearances, too, which gave a brilliant overview
Beth Skye Denny
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gabriel Davenport's life has not been a restful one. In this second installment of horror and mystery, Gabe is learning how to function in his new world. He's got 'brothers' and a mentor to keep happy and his place to figure out.
Things aren't going to be easy, but he's a smart guy and willing to put his all into the effort,
despite the pull toward his old life and friends.

But the darkness, the evil, that took him and others isn't gone, it's been waiting. With an upheaval in the vampire world and
A. Hunt
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was thrilled to finally read Beverly Lee's A Shining in the Shadows! This is the follow up novel to The Making of Gabriel Davenport, which I read in 2016. Book 2 didn't disappoint; I am happy to say.

Book two picks up where the first ended, but a short while later. Gabriel's been sacrificed, in order to be saved from a demon- the demon he and his crew from book one were battling. The problem is, Clove (a vampire) saved him; thus beginning a new journey for him. As if he wasn't already confused
Emma
K.J. Chapman
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This review is featured on my blog: Writerly Bookish Stuff.

Another masterpiece from Lee. After relishing Lee’s effortless writing style in book one, I was yet again sucked into Gabriel’s world and led like a sleepwalker through the pages and plot twists with ease. Lee makes writing seem easy. The pacing, narrative, and character development has a superb flow, and as a reader, you wake up at the end wondering where you are and how you got there. Book hangover!

Some points that I have to mention:

Alex (PaperbackPiano)
"The things to fear don't always scream the loudest..."

Beverley Lee has done it again. This second book once again showcases her fantastic talent for writing - she truly has a way with words. I loved the combination of old-world mythology with fun pop culture references; other writers wouldn't be able to make this work but it was excellent in this case.

The story is perfectly paced. Even though the book opens a year after the events of its predecessor, the reader is thrown straight back into the
Cherie
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
First we had a demon and vampires, but now we have more thrown into the mix. Gabriel and co are thrown in at the deep end, and it's good to see how they all react differently to the threat they find themselves under.

My only criticism is how little time we spend with each character before the POV jumps. Whilst I can see that each piece of narrative is used to push the action along, and it effective, I just felt that we could have lingered a little with each one and delved a little deeper.

4.5
Roshan
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it.. I need to thank Beverley for this book.. Had been in a reading rut.. DNF'd a lot of books in the last 2 months.. Beverley's book was the ideal escape i needed.. The World of Vampires where Gabriel moves around is awesome. I cant wait for the time when Gabriel becomes stronger and more senior in the Vampire world.. I know that Beverley is writing the 3rd book right now and i really cant wait to read it..

If Vampires are your thing, don't hesitate to pickup the book.. start from the 1st
Nicola Rose
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another brilliant read from Beverley Lee. I thoroughly enjoyed following Gabe on this new journey in his life, seeing him grow and find his place. And,  you know... vampires! I love vampires!

Once again we are drawn into the ticking countdown of something epic - tension building,  twists turning,  sweeping us along this path towards the dramatic conclusion.  Great stuff!
Kay-Cherish Kipling
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adored this book! I'm truly devastated that I have finished it! Gripped from page 1, fell more in love Gabriel and his family. I cannot recommend this book highly enough!
Becky Wright
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You never quite know if a sequel will live up to your expectation. The Making of Gabriel Davenport, holds a very special place in my heart, and as such, the anticipation for A Shining in the Shadows, was filled with both excitement and a tinge of dread.

I took my time to digest this book, my initial thrill was to completely devour it within hours, but as the first few lines settled in I realised this was one to be savoured. You never guzzle a fine wine, you sip and savour each note. I relished it
Dana Fraedrich
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is the kind I wish I could forget so that I can experience the joy of reading it for the first time over and over again. The writing and pacing are both excellent, and the characters feel distinct and are so likeable. Everything is really tight and cohesive. This is the kind of book that brings you back to it over and over again amidst the distractions of life and keeps you thinking about it even after you've finished reading it. I highly recommend it!
Abbie | ab_reads
4.5 stars!
Beverley Lee has apparently never heard of second-book-syndrome! A Shining in the Shadows is the sequel to her amazing debut The Making of Gabriel Davenport and it does not disappoint!
A Shining in the Shadows sees Gabe getting to grips with his new life on the dark side. But disturbing changes are coming to the vampire world, as a cleansing of 'mutant' vampires is called for...
If you're a lover of all things vampire, witches, and just overall paranormal (including some vampire roman
TheVampireBookworm
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vampire-books
Our boy Gabe has grown some fangs and they suit him just fine :-)=
In this dark and atmospheric sequel to The Making of Gabriel Davenport we visit our old friends one year after the incident. While the surviving humans mourn the loses of that one fateful night, Gabe is not dead. Well, he isn't alive either. Having been brought under Clove's protective wing, he must deal with becoming a creature of the night and with forgetting his old human life.
Unfortunately, his mentor is nowhere to be found a
Alex findingmontauk1
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Oh my! I absolutely loved the second installment in the Gabriel Davenport series. I love how it picked up from the end of the second one and just put you on a moving train almost immediately! Lee's writing style never disappoints and this is one of those books I hated putting down. My mother came in town and I was like, "But... now I can't read." Morning came and I was like, "But... now I have to go to work." If I was not reading this book then I was thinking about WHEN I could continue reading ...more
Melinda MacLean (mel_constantreader)
Bev, you've done it again! I was blown away by this sequel. It's full of twist and suprises, the action never stops. I hope you have something else planned for Gabe and the gang because I have some unanswered questions!
Tracy Edley
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is such a magnificent book. Truly brilliant. The best vampire book I've ever read. Just love the characters especially Gabe, he's gorgeous. A must for any vampire fans.
Veronica Murray
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gabriel Davenport

BRILLIANT book
Brilliant story !
Can't wait for the next instalment in the story !
What is next for gabe and his family ????
One can only wait and see ????
Renee
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Brilliant Series

What can I say, I absolutely loved this book. Congratulations Beverley Lee on an outstanding next instalment to 'The making of Gabriel Davenport'. All the characters we loved from the first book are brilliantly brought to life with great detail in this next instalment. The well thought out plot twists and turns take you on a roller coaster ride of action, intrigue & duplicity. It's a ride you don't want to come to an end, but know it must eventually. Gabriel is adapting to
Jenny Glover
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Years ago, Bram Stoker’s Dracula scared me off the gothic/horror genre – for ever, I imagined. But then I read The Making of Gabriel Davenport (Book 1 in this trilogy), and discovered a thrilling, chilling, mind-invading author whose characters moved into my mind and took up residence.
So I was looking forward to this sequel. I played the game I play with tv detective dramas. Where will she shift the story focus? What will she do with X and Y? And the intriguing Z? How will she up the threat ante
Jessica
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the highly anticipated sequel to The Making of Gabriel Davenport, and it was everything I was hoping it would be! Authors always face the daunting task of having to follow up a great debut - especially when it's in a series. Well, Beverly Lee did not disappoint and had a fantastic sequel! I started it and didn't want to stop. With minor interruptions, I read this in two sittings!

Gabriel Davenport is back and he has been remade from darkness. Now needs to learn and adapt in order to survi
Azriela
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I'd spent my whole life running, being hunted. But now I was the hunter."
A Shining in the Shadows continues where The Making of Gabriel Davenport left off. The fact that I continued with the second novel straight after I've read the first one speaks for itself. I just couldn't stop!
The second novel was as good as the first one. The characters are just as interesting, the atmosphere is still wonderfully dark. I particularly loved learning more about Teal and Moth. I loved how they developed thr
Villimey
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really hoped that the sequel to The Making of Gabriel Davenport would focus more on the vampires and oh my, did it deliver!! It was truly delicious!
What really shined was the characterization of the three vampire boys, Teal, Moth (my personal favorite) and last but not least Gabriel. Their interaction and relationship was beautiful and kept you stuck to the book till it ended (even though you didn't want it to end but thankfully there's a third book on its way!).
Beverley really shows you that
Emma K.
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I started this book as soon as I had finished the first - the Making of Gabriel Davenport - I was so desperate to know what happened next, and it did not disappoint. A Shining in the Shadows starts a year on and Gabriel is settling into his new life with Clove, Moth and Teal, we also learn how the events affected Carver, Noah and Olivia.

I struggle to know what to write in this review. This book was amazing, I loved the first but this was better. My problem is that everything I want to rave about
Misty
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this book! I read The Making of Gabriel Davenport, and immediately started in on this one. Part way through, I realized it would be a while before the third book in the series comes out, so I limited myself to only reading this on Saturday nights. I did not want it to end!! I have little self-control though, and totally binged on this last night, reading until after 4am. This is the only vampire series I have ever enjoyed, and I'm counting the days until book 3 comes out and I ...more
Erika
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beverly just keeps doing it! She wrote another amazing book. The character development is phenomenal. I hate to give spoilers, but I'll do it anyways. Noah noooooo!!!! My heart broke when Noah passed away. My heart continues to break for Olivia because first she lost her brother and now Noah. How will she cope…..and where is she? I hope she is back at the Manor with the boys. I just can't wait for Beverly to release book 3. This book was so well written and her writing style is on point.
« previous 1 3 next »
Beverley Lee is a freelance writer currently residing in the south east of England. In thrall to the written word from an early age, especially the darker side of fiction, she believes that the very best story is the one you have to tell. Supporting fellow authors is also her passion and she is actively involved in social media writers’ groups. The Making of Gabriel Davenport and A Shining in the ...more
More about Beverley Lee

Gabriel Davenport (2 books)
  • The Making of Gabriel Davenport (Gabriel Davenport #1)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
“When we love something we never give up.” 1 likes