Start by marking “A Shining in the Shadows (Gabriel Davenport #2)” as Want to Read:
A Shining in the Shadows (Gabriel Davenport #2)

A Shining in the Shadows

(Gabriel Davenport #2)

Menacing dark fantasy and paranormal suspense combine in the second book of this reader acclaimed supernatural series (Gabriel Davenport) from British author Beverley Lee

Gabriel Davenport has been remade from darkness. Now, he must adapt to survive .

In a small seaside town, Gabriel's maker unwittingly takes his wards into the throes of a deadly new game. There are
Published April 7th 2017 by Ink Raven Press

To ask other readers questions about A Shining in the Shadows, please sign up.

Start your review of A Shining in the Shadows (Gabriel Davenport #2)
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm very serious when I say that Beverley can gladly assume the position of my favorite, modern day author of Vampire fiction. A Shining in the Shadows is the sequel to Lee's debut novel, The Making of Gabriel Davenport. And sometimes, if the first book is so well loved and amazing, the second book suffers from a bit of the "sequel doldrums". Not in this case!
This book far exceeded my expectations! Without any fancy or fussy introductions, we get the pleasure of jumping right back into the story
Nils | nilsreviewsit
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Im working on being at one with the night, a shadow of a shadow. Because sometimes I feel like the dark is my only friend.

A Shining in the Shadows is the sequel to The Making of Gabriel Davenport by the lovely Beverley Lee. This book starts off dealing with the aftermath of the ending of the first book, as we delve into Gabriels new world.

I dont want to say too much about the plot, because if you havent read the first one yet, then you really dont want to know any spoilers. Lets just say though
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Gabriel has woken up into a brand new life, unable to see anyone from his past and learning his new ways. In the vampiric world, things are getting bloody. New problems arise with the talk of impure blood vampires being hunted - a cleansing. Gabriel finds himself, along with his brothers, having to fight to save his new family while still trying to fit in and control his new abilities. The past comes back to haunt him while he fights for his future. How can he find a way to survive without ...more
Beverley Lee
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I finished my continuity read of Shadows and it's now filled with post it notes to check against my current draft of The Purity of Crimson. Which leads to that awkward moment when you have to rate your own book....

At the time of writing it has 50 ratings with an average of 4.74 so I think I'm okay to go with a 5!
Emily
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Night followed night followed night. An endless cycle of unimaginable cold and blood and loneliness."

A Shining in the Shadows is the second book in Beverley Lee's Gabriel Davenport series. This book is pretty different from The Making of Gabriel Davenport - it is much more focused on vampires instead of the paranormal community as a whole, and I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about it since I had recently read two other vampire horror novels that were just okay. I shouldn't have been
Sarina Langer
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having devoured Lee's debut novel last year I was really excited to get my hands on the sequel. And it delivered! Book 2 was every bit as thrilling, with new plot twists and new fascinating developments - and, of course, new cliffhangers setting up Book 3 - but no spoilers there ;)

Come to me, she whispered, and the fireflies in her eyes took flight.

The focus at the beginning is on Clove's little group; however, previous POVs still made plenty of appearances, too, which gave a brilliant overview
Beth Skye Denny
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Gabriel Davenport's life has not been a restful one. In this second installment of horror and mystery, Gabe is learning how to function in his new world. He's got 'brothers' and a mentor to keep happy and his place to figure out.
Things aren't going to be easy, but he's a smart guy and willing to put his all into the effort,
despite the pull toward his old life and friends.

But the darkness, the evil, that took him and others isn't gone, it's been waiting. With an upheaval in the vampire world and
Tanya
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent continuation of Gabriel's story!! Beverley Lee really knows how to craft her stories and her characters. I am so excited to see where Gabriel's story is headed.....
A. Hunt
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was thrilled to finally read Beverly Lee's A Shining in the Shadows! This is the follow up novel to The Making of Gabriel Davenport, which I read in 2016. Book 2 didn't disappoint; I am happy to say.

Book two picks up where the first ended, but a short while later. Gabriel's been sacrificed, in order to be saved from a demon- the demon he and his crew from book one were battling. The problem is, Clove (a vampire) saved him; thus beginning a new journey for him. As if he wasn't already confused
Emma
Julia Blake
Aug 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having read the first book in this series last year, I was eager to see where the second one would take me. The answer was into a dark, twisted, world lying just out of human sight, down back alleys and in the sewers beneath our feet, where undead creatures hunt and a crisis is building to an ignition point.

The author wastes no time in plunging us straight into the plot, no catch-up or leniency given to those who might not have read the first book. No, you are there from the first word, which I
K.J. Chapman
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This review is featured on my blog: Writerly Bookish Stuff.

Another masterpiece from Lee. After relishing Lees effortless writing style in book one, I was yet again sucked into Gabriels world and led like a sleepwalker through the pages and plot twists with ease. Lee makes writing seem easy. The pacing, narrative, and character development has a superb flow, and as a reader, you wake up at the end wondering where you are and how you got there. Book hangover!

Some points that I have to mention:

Alex (PaperbackPiano)
"The things to fear don't always scream the loudest..."

Beverley Lee has done it again. This second book once again showcases her fantastic talent for writing - she truly has a way with words. I loved the combination of old-world mythology with fun pop culture references; other writers wouldn't be able to make this work but it was excellent in this case.

The story is perfectly paced. Even though the book opens a year after the events of its predecessor, the reader is thrown straight back into the
Cherie
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
First we had a demon and vampires, but now we have more thrown into the mix. Gabriel and co are thrown in at the deep end, and it's good to see how they all react differently to the threat they find themselves under.

My only criticism is how little time we spend with each character before the POV jumps. Whilst I can see that each piece of narrative is used to push the action along, and it effective, I just felt that we could have lingered a little with each one and delved a little deeper.

4.5
Roshan
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it.. I need to thank Beverley for this book.. Had been in a reading rut.. DNF'd a lot of books in the last 2 months.. Beverley's book was the ideal escape i needed.. The World of Vampires where Gabriel moves around is awesome. I cant wait for the time when Gabriel becomes stronger and more senior in the Vampire world.. I know that Beverley is writing the 3rd book right now and i really cant wait to read it..

If Vampires are your thing, don't hesitate to pickup the book.. start from the 1st
Nicola Rose
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another brilliant read from Beverley Lee. I thoroughly enjoyed following Gabe on this new journey in his life, seeing him grow and find his place. And,  you know... vampires! I love vampires!

Once again we are drawn into the ticking countdown of something epic - tension building,  twists turning,  sweeping us along this path towards the dramatic conclusion.  Great stuff!
Ruth Miranda
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What else can I say, other than Beverley Lee has not disapointed. After being utterly smacked in the face and swept away by The Making of Gabriel Davenport, I expected nothing short of another sublime read from the lady, and have not been let down at all. If in the previous instalment I found myself drawn to Clove, this book had me longing to delve further into Moth, Gabe, but mostly Teal. I wanted all the secrets to come out into the light, they did not, which has made me hungrier for more, of ...more
Megan
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was sensational. It was so cleverly laid out, compounding a new paranormal feature and seamlessly weaving it into the main story. I cant get over how well thought out and intricate the plot is. The romantic connection between a couple of the characters makes my heart want to burst. I love them together. Im so eager to read the third book, and Im kind of glad Im late to the game so I can read them back to back without waiting!! ...more
Kay-Cherish Kipling
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adored this book! I'm truly devastated that I have finished it! Gripped from page 1, fell more in love Gabriel and his family. I cannot recommend this book highly enough!
MamaMiaReads
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WOW! I thought the first book was fast-paced but this seems to be even faster. It was wonderful to read more about the characters and to dive into their world. A beautifully written story that has vampires, demons, and humans who research the supernatural. I know this is book two but I highly recommend this series.
Becky Wright
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You never quite know if a sequel will live up to your expectation. The Making of Gabriel Davenport, holds a very special place in my heart, and as such, the anticipation for A Shining in the Shadows, was filled with both excitement and a tinge of dread.

I took my time to digest this book, my initial thrill was to completely devour it within hours, but as the first few lines settled in I realised this was one to be savoured. You never guzzle a fine wine, you sip and savour each note. I relished it
Dana Fraedrich
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is the kind I wish I could forget so that I can experience the joy of reading it for the first time over and over again. The writing and pacing are both excellent, and the characters feel distinct and are so likeable. Everything is really tight and cohesive. This is the kind of book that brings you back to it over and over again amidst the distractions of life and keeps you thinking about it even after you've finished reading it. I highly recommend it!
Jenny Glover
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Years ago, Bram Stokers Dracula scared me off the gothic/horror genre for ever, I imagined. But then I read The Making of Gabriel Davenport (Book 1 in this trilogy), and discovered a thrilling, chilling, mind-invading author whose characters moved into my mind and took up residence.
So I was looking forward to this sequel. I played the game I play with tv detective dramas. Where will she shift the story focus? What will she do with X and Y? And the intriguing Z? How will she up the threat ante?
Abbie | ab_reads
4.5 stars!
Beverley Lee has apparently never heard of second-book-syndrome! A Shining in the Shadows is the sequel to her amazing debut The Making of Gabriel Davenport and it does not disappoint!
A Shining in the Shadows sees Gabe getting to grips with his new life on the dark side. But disturbing changes are coming to the vampire world, as a cleansing of 'mutant' vampires is called for...
If you're a lover of all things vampire, witches, and just overall paranormal (including some vampire
Alex findingmontauk1
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Oh my! I absolutely loved the second installment in the Gabriel Davenport series. I love how it picked up from the end of the second one and just put you on a moving train almost immediately! Lee's writing style never disappoints and this is one of those books I hated putting down. My mother came in town and I was like, "But... now I can't read." Morning came and I was like, "But... now I have to go to work." If I was not reading this book then I was thinking about WHEN I could continue reading ...more
Andrea
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Remaining faithful to the sense of urgency in her writing style, Ms. Lee wastes no time plunging the reader right back into the dark (but delightful) chaos we've come to know as Gabriel's world. Much in the way I imagined his "awakening," with every turn of the page each character develops as a more vibrant, more complex, and more integral part of Gabriel's journey. However, that is only part of what kept this reader reading. Prepare to have your senses teased and tortured - the nuances of every ...more
Josh Radwell
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
😍 A stunning sequel! "A Shining in the Shadows" by @theconstantvoice is the sequel to "The Making of Gabriel Davenport." And wow - you know how sometimes sequels can be a bit eh? Well this one wasn't one of those; this book is AMAZING and even better than the first book, so that is a great indicator that Lee honed in on her skills and excellent storytelling abilities! Firstly, I love that it picks up right where book one ends, we get to jump right into the action, no messing around. I also ...more
Diamond
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't think Beverly Lee knows what a sophomore slump is, because her second book in The Gabriel Davenport trilogy is just as stunning (possibly even more so) as the first! It was an absolute joy being reunited with the characters, as well as being introduced to some new, unsavory ones. There is also a change of scenery, and while it is expanded a bit, I really liked how she still kept it within a limited area so it still maintained a similar feel to book one.

Now back to the characters,
TheVampireBookworm
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vampire-books
Our boy Gabe has grown some fangs and they suit him just fine :-)=
In this dark and atmospheric sequel to The Making of Gabriel Davenport we visit our old friends one year after the incident. While the surviving humans mourn the loses of that one fateful night, Gabe is not dead. Well, he isn't alive either. Having been brought under Clove's protective wing, he must deal with becoming a creature of the night and with forgetting his old human life.
Unfortunately, his mentor is nowhere to be found
G.R. Thomas
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Second book in a fabulous series that pulled the reader deeper into both character and story. We get to know more about Gabe, Moth and Teal and see a real shift in Gabe. The story darkens in a very satisfying way that keeps the pages turning. Beverley Lee uses words as though they are fine notes of a great symphony They soften and slowly build, they thunder and trail away as a scene rises and ends with dramatic clarity. I love this writing, I love this story Highly recommend follow up to book ...more

• Dear Laura
  • The Roo
  • Night's Black Agents (Paxton Locke #2)
  • Fade
  • We Live Inside Your Eyes
  • The Manningtree Account
  • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
  • Wakenhyrst
  • Greener Pastures
  • The Turtle Boy (Timmy Quinn #1)
  • Carnival Of Strange Things (Creepiest Show On Earth Book 3)
  • Msomi and Me
  • The Number 121 to Pennsylvania and Others
  • The Hides (Timmy Quinn #2)
  • The Monsters We Forgot: Volume 1
  • Peregrine's Tale (Includes: Cemetery Dance Signature Series, #6; The Turtle Boy #4)
  • The Monsters We Forgot, Volume 2
  • Vessels (Timmy Quinn #3)
Beverley Lee is a freelance writer currently residing in the south east of England. In thrall to the written word from an early age, especially the darker side of fiction, she believes that the very best story is the one you have to tell. Supporting fellow authors is also her passion and she is actively involved in social media writers groups.
The Gabriel Davenport Series (The Making of Gabriel

Gabriel Davenport (2 books)
  • The Making of Gabriel Davenport (Gabriel Davenport #1)