Start by marking “Reinvent Yourself” as Want to Read:
Reinvent Yourself

Reinvent Yourself

- Book Description:

I've reinvented my career, my interests, my life, many times over the past twenty years. This is the book I wish I had at the beginning of that long and often volatile journey.

And now the entire world: technology, governments, the shifting landscapes of opportunity and success, are all turning upside down, forcing us to reinvent as individuals and as
Published January 5th 2017 by Choose Yourself Media / James Altucher (first published 2017)

Start your review of Reinvent Yourself
Daniele
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inspiring
Really enjoyed this book and James writing style! it's packed with lessons and inspirations, deliver in a easy, to the point and entertaining way.
it's the first time I see 'competence' mentioned as a contributor to our happiness/well-being.
Emma Sea
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Didn't like this as much as Choose Yourself: Be Happy, Make Millions, Live the Dream, or I Was Blind But Now I See, but there were still some good thinkies, and I took comfort and motivation from Altucher's five-year-cycle for reinvention.
Ben Raffles
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Weak with the occasional insight. It felt extremely self-congratulatory for someone who is so secure with their place on earth. I did like his analysis of Eminem's 8-mile rap, but most felt like extremely short snippets from podcast interviews (I really like Tim Ferris podcasts).
John
May 11, 2017 rated it liked it
A good book that doesn't tell you how to re-invent yourself.

I liked this book for some reasons however there are things that I really really didn't like about the book that I would like to discuss.

The first and biggest one is this. It isn't a book. It's a list of blog articles pushed together and sold as a complete book about "re-inventing yourself".
I was going to list the blog articles here but James Altuchers website doesn't have a search function (very clever James, guess people will *have*
Madam J
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was okay (probably more so because it was free on my kindle).

It's a collection of blog posts, which grinds my gears a bit, because it seems fairly counterproductive to reinvent oneself by recycling content in it's entirety.

There was a lot of name dropping, which is fine in the context of 'this person is an expert and says...' but at times I felt like the name dropping was self-serving. There's lots of AirBnB. There's lots of things to do every day, but I don't know that I believe there's
Enrique Mañas
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book is divided in chapters resembling other books such as Tools of Titans. Each chapter summarizes the inspiration James Altucher got from a person, whether it happened personally or not.

Some keys to reinventing yourself:

-Reinvention never stops.
-You start from scratch.
-You need a mentor.
-You need five years to reinvent yourself and purse a new career.
-Money is only a decent measuring stick.
-You are the choices you make every day.

I did take several helpful notes during the book absorption:

Dipanshu Rawal
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"After every 5 years, every company/organisation/human must look into the analytics and accordingly should reinvent themselves/their thinking processes."
This book is a life-changing self-help book, which is filled with inspiration and lessons from around the globe.
What I particularly liked about James Altucher, the writer, is his humility. His writing on quora are wonderful and I do follow his blog regularly.
Undoubtedly, he is one of my ideals.

Do not hesitate. Go and read this book for
AdiTurbo
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
DNF. Very disjointed, jumps all over the place without real reason or meaning. Here and there there are a few interesting ideas, but most of the time I had no idea what this guy was on about.
Tao Lee
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding book! Will read again. I've learned so much from this book!

Barbara wrote 700 romance novels. Out of 700 books - she had to come up with 700 different problems to keep her lovers apart, and then solved them.

Dr Wayne Dyer was yearning for success, so he packed his car full of books and drove across the whole country to connect with people face to face.

Viral is a disease that you want to get rid of, but connection can lead to lifelong benefits.

Wayne says that if something isn't
Ryan
Sweet, Syrupy, and Full of Empty Calories

I'm not sure I understand why a string of blog posts ended up as a book of sunshine-and-rainbow levels of over-saturated, saccharine optimism. They're just aphorisms like:

'Oh, wow, Pope Francis called a woman who wrote to him—what a great guy!'

Frankly, I didn't know who James Altucher was before this, but was surprised to discover he is apparently ridiculously successful. I guess this is sort of his "B-Side" stuff then, because they're literally just
Atleb
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Should be read randomly

This isn't a book as such, but a nice candy bag to dip into over time. Almost makes me want a random mode for Kindle, where each time you start you get an unread chapter.

Compared to the "original" Choose Yourself, Altucher seems more reflected, more nuanced and thoughtful this time around. The mix of actual insights from interviews, with more generic learning from Chaplin etc makes for a good contrast and some thought-provoking quotes.
Jose
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it
James Altucher sometimes suffers from self-grandeur and has a writing style that can bother, but he has a point. If you want to excel in any field you have to work hard and more importantly build networks. That’s the lesson.
Germán Sánchez
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved all the stories. Easy to read and inspiring!
Andy
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book, an absolute steal for the price!

For the price, this book is an absolute steal, it has distilled knowledge and tactics which will allow you to live more, to make your tomorrow more effective.

I specially recommend this book to people who are concerned about opportunities in life, I hope this will be exactly the fuel you need to improve. I am glad of the opportunity to read this book and I will be looking forward to apply the things I have learned here l.
Anirudh
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
DISCLAIMER: I abhor self-help books. I find them preachy, unrealistic and generic to the point of uselessness. I also expect arguments to be made with sound logic and the ‘try it out for yourself and see’ attitude in these books doesn’t really gel with me. I am certainly not who this book is written for.
I picked this book up on a whim because I liked James Altucher’s writing style from his pieces on Quora. I rolled my eyes at the title and expected to toss it aside in disgust in an hour. So I am
Raf
Feb 02, 2017 rated it liked it

I have read several books by James Altucher and I recognized some chapters from previous books. There were some new and good chapters but for someone who reads James’ blogs, most of the chapters are taken from his blogs and compiled into this book. Although I appreciate the work James does, I believe that he is slowly running out of ideas. I like to compare this book to a music album. If you release a new music album, you don’t put in songs from previous albums in there unless it’s re-mastered
TNae Wilcox
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
James gets me:)

I follow him on twitter and was eager to get this book when I heard about it. Great points in here, several quotes that should be framed. Well done, James. Thank you for honesty, curiosity, and wisdom.
Scott
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really good yeah awesome go read it. It's $1.99
Grumpy Bunny
Apr 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
I just wasn't a fan of this one at all.
A lot of it felt rehashed, even within the book itself.
Most of the time, it feels more like he's trying to blatantly brag than to help anyone.
Hard pass.
Dasha Ivanova
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
boring and repetitive. I'd call it "the survivorship bias". I highlighted some quotes anyway, but overall it wasn't something inspiring or super helpful
Ksenia Palke
Aug 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Donald Trump's speeches are more coherent.
Ricardo
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great read, with good actionable advice. Thinking in getting the paperback version to read it often.
Brynn
May 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
Preachy, stream-of-consciousness word-vomit. Could not finish.
Rey
Jan 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-finished
I give up. This book is officially wasting my time.
Full of grammatical errors. I'll move on to something readable.
A.M.
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, i-own
Altucher is one of those people that both inspire and scare me. When he goes for something he goes all in. He currently has no physical possessions other than a bag, a laptop and a list of friend’s who will let him crash on their couch or house sit. When he runs out of friends he uses Airbnb.
He has nothing left.
But he makes a stunning amount of money in subscriptions to his financial advice feed.
This book is 47 chapters of what are really summaries of what he learnt from a select few of his
Lena Küssner
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
What I really liked about that book was that it was divided into a lot of short chapters - very easy to digest. Whenever you have 5 spare minutes you can read on. The chapters not really depend on each other, so it's okay to skip or jump. James writes humorous and entertaining and always inspiring. I took a loooot of notes.

Whats funny is, that I asked myself several times why the f*ck the book is called "Reinventing Yourself". Because on the surface it seemed not at all about that. But halfway
Ranajeet Dewasthalee
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Anything that James writes is automatically a 4-star for me as it has immense value in it. He has to have only one additional great point in the article or book and it automatically becomes a 5-star piece for me. This book is a collection of his articles from the blog some of which I have already read many times but the stand out pieces which I had not read were about Eminem, Larry Page and about to make impossible things happen.

His take on Eminem's lose yourself and the end scene rap from the
Steph Millar
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This book simultaneously wanted me to be better but to also throw it out the window. Whilst some of the inspirational parts were alright, a lot of it was quite repetitive, perhaps in no small part due to the nature of the book as it feels like a dozen articles stitched together.

Some of the overall advice, particularly about getting mentors feels very...hollow. Perhaps it is how I have lived my life but there is something distinctly about that concept which feels so far from what is considered
Bo
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Reinvent Yourself" is a compendium of useful ideas, teachings, and quotes that the author has garnered from his mentors; popular thought-leaders, performers, and athletes; as well as his own personal experiences--some good, mostly bad.

This book is a good kick in the pants, motivating you to get up do something. Altucher evaluates ideas that have led to past successes, but also provides advice on how to cope with and survive failure.

I was encouraged to become comfortable being uncomfortable,
Stefano Viaggi
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some interesting thoughts in an enjoyable format. A list of lessons learned from smart people, books and other inspirational sources. Reported in a very personal way.
You need a mentor, but don't worry about finding one: everything is a mentor. Have a passion for your health, start form there. Take baby steps. You don't need a passion to succeed. Do what you do with love and success is a natural symptom.
Do not set unattainable big goals, but focus on getting better every day, a little step at a
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Great Thinkers: Simple Tools from 60 Great Thinkers to Improve Your Life Today
  • Friend of a Friend . . .: Understanding the Hidden Networks That Can Transform Your Life and Your Career
  • The One Hour Content Plan: The Solopreneur’s Guide to a Year’s Worth of Blog Post Ideas in 60 Minutes and Creating Content That Hooks and Sells
  • Rich Habits: The Daily Success Habits of Wealthy Individuals: Find Out How the Rich Get So Rich (the Secrets to Financial Success Revealed)
  • Become An Idea Machine: Because Ideas Are The Currency Of The 21st Century
  • How Not to Worry: The Remarkable Truth of How a Small Change Can Help You Stress Less and Enjoy Life More
  • Living the 80/20 Way: Work Less, Worry Less, Succeed More, Enjoy More
  • Superhuman by Habit: A Guide to Becoming the Best Possible Version of Yourself, One Tiny Habit at a Time
  • The Fixer: My Adventures Saving Startups from Death by Politics
  • Napoleon Hill's Golden Rules: The Lost Writings
  • Deep Thinking: Where Machine Intelligence Ends and Human Creativity Begins
  • Free to Focus: A Total Productivity System to Achieve More by Doing Less
  • Learn Better: Mastering the Skills for Success in Life, Business, and School, or, How to Become an Expert in Just About Anything
  • Game Changers: What Leaders, Innovators, and Mavericks Do to Win at Life
  • Pause: Harnessing the Life-Changing Power of Giving Yourself a Break
  • Big Mistakes: The Best Investors and Their Worst Investments
  • Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends on It
  • Live Your Truth
James Altucher is a writer, successful entrepreneur, chess master, and investor.

He has founded over 20 companies and sold some of them for large exits. He has also run venture capital funds, hedge funds, angel funds, and currently sits on the boards of many companies.

He has written and been profiled in most major national media publications like the Wall Street Journal, The Financial Times, CNBC,
“Despair = Suffering - Meaning.” 4 likes
“Habits. It’s the 5x5 rule. You are not just the average of the five people around you. You’re the average of the five habits you do, the things you eat, the ideas you have, the content you consume, etc.” 4 likes