Start by marking “Fighting the Flames (Where There's Smoke, #1)” as Want to Read:
Fighting the Flames  (Where There's Smoke, #1)

Fighting the Flames

(Where There's Smoke #1)

Where there’s smoke, Maddox jumps into the flames.

Maddox has been battling California’s wildfires for years. As a smokejumper, he’s trained to take action first and think second, but when he sees the cabin his best buddy owned before his death surrounded by a wall of fire, he can only think of his friend’s widow.

Sydney came to the cabin to ready it to sell. The place holds
ebook
Published January 10th 2017 by The Hartwood Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Fighting the Flames, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fighting the Flames

Olga therebelreader
I loved this book! Not just the sexual chemistry between Maddox and Sydney, which is undoubtedly hot, but the way the characters were portrayed--their own private needs, desires, and demons. Super hot sex, an interesting plot, and deep characters that we like right away, make this worthwhile. If you want a short read with a great story and some hot sex action, well this book is for you!

Hero 5/5 | Heroine 5/5 | Plot (Point, Originality) 5/5 | Writing Style 5/5 | Steam 5/5 | Romance 4/5 | Angst-Su
Emily
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Fighting the Flames" (Where There's Smoke 1) by Em Petrova is a great read. I loved Maddox and Sydney's story! This story is packed full of emotion, passion, action, hot firefighters, interesting and entertaining characters, and more. I'm looking forward to reading more about these smoke jumpers! Highly recommend to all fans of romance, hot firefighters, and hot reads.
Tanya Brown
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh WOW! What to do when you're doing your job and come across your friend's widow? Maddox has dropped into the woods near Rob & Syndey's cabin as a smoke jumper to help put out the fire heading towards it. Some instinct told him to check the cabin first and he finds Sydney inside. She refuses to leave and wants to help. Rob has been gone 3 years and this is the first time the whole gang has seen her. They all feel protective of her but Maddox feels possessive. The sparks fly between these 2 ...more
Jacky
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked the fact that Syd was strong enough and talented enough to not only be a firefighter, but a smoke jumper. She loved Rob, but was able to let go and move forward with her life. Syd and Maddox were combustible.

Maddox, on the other hand, drove me crazy. Really....Dude, get over it. If Syd could get past Rob being your friend and brother smoke jumper, why can't you?

I do have to say as sexy as Maddox sounded, and as steamy as the scenes were, I don't know that I could be rolling around amongs
Sandy
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good story

The danger in this book makes you shudder, but it is a great love story. Em Petrova keeps you reading.
Lesley Robson
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Once again Em has sucked me in, grabbed hold of me and wouldn't let go. This story is action packed and full of heat(pun not intended).
Syd is the widow of a smoke jumper and she is also a bad ass fire fighter herself. One day she finds herself in the right place wrong time scenario and finds herself in the middle of a forest fire. Enter the smoke jumpers and her late husbands old team. Maddox is the one who finds Syd and sparks not only fly in the forest but between them too. Whilst Syd embrace
Mandie Foxylutely
The first book in a new series, Where There’s Smoke which is about a bunch of hot smokejumpers. This one is Maddox and Sydney’s story.

Maddox and his crew are called to a wildfire and it is in the vicinity of Rob, his now deceased friend’s cabin. Thinking the cabin will be locked up and abandoned he is shocked to find Sydney, Rob’s widow there.

Sydney is at the cabin setting it up for sale when the wildfire starts, being left abandoned by the realtor, she is relieved when her husband’s old crew
CarolKat
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sydney is ready to move on, selling their getaway cabin was the next step in the grieving process for her. What she didn't expect was for the real estate agent she came up to the cabin with to desert her in the path of a wildfire.

When the call comes in Maddox's team is on route in a couple of minutes. This fire is personal, Rob and Sydney's cabin is in this fire's path. Before Rob died they had all spent time there relaxing and enjoying the company.

What Maddox didn't expect was to find Sydney in
Karen Roma
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Em Petrova has once again penned a sensational story, packed full of high-octane action, and characters that thrive on the all-consuming adrenaline rush of risking life and limb to battle the raging infernos that a wild fire creates.

Maddox and his buddies are the epitome of buff, rugged alpha men who know the dangers and solitude of the career they have undertaken, but also embrace the camaraderie that ensures their safety; well most of the time anyway.

As with any hazardous job, there are bound
Susan Foulkes
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A hot read from Em Petrova.

Sparks not only flew in the forest fire but also between Maddox and Sydney.

The fire fighting/smoke jumping scenes were realistic and gripping.

The relationship between Maddox and Sydney was beautifully written and addressed questions that will be familiar to all widows.....How long should one mourn? When is the right time to think about dating again? Is it OK to become involved with a colleague/friend of your late husband?

And for Maddox the big question was....am I betr
Leanne ~ Tales From The Heart
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, em-petrova, romance
Maddox is a smoke jumper trained to fight California's wild fires. His mate and colleague Rob didn't make it a few years ago. Rob's widow Sydney is checking on her cabin when fire catches her unawares and is approaching fast. She and Maddox are thrown together fighting the fire in the surrounding area. Can they fight the fire that is sparking between them? Do they even want to? Maddox and Sydney were a couple that needed to come together to heal each other.
This story was a well written and enjoy
Linda Levine
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is a great read. I love the chemistry and the tension between the characters. He feels guilty for wanting his friend's widow but she wants to move on and isn't afraid of risks. She also wants to have the opportunity to make the career choices she wants. I really liked that she is such a strong person and doesn't give up.

I am voluntarily reviewing a copy I received.
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was gifted a copy of this book from the author. This is another great story from Em. It's captivating, exciting and entertaining. The storyline is bittersweet, the characters are amusing. Syd and Maddox are like magnets, one minute Maddox is pulling Syd to him, the next he's pushing her away. But growling at the guys when they just looked at her. I thoroughly enjoyed this story.
Emily
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Linda Rimer-Como
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This was one hot and smoky read! The characters are strong, determined and sexy, with great connections and interactions. The story line kept me enthralled from start to finish. I always enjoy reading this talented authors work. Can't wait for more!
Lisa
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What's hotter? The wildfires spreading or the sparks between Maddox and Sydney? I'm going to have to vote for Maddox and Sydney even with his incredibly stubborn streak you still understand why he keeps pushing her away.

Another great from Em! Can't wait for more of the series
Rosemary
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hot and smokey! Good intro book to a new series.
Complete story in a fast paced hot package. I always enjoy reading Em Petrova and this was just as enjoyable as the rest of her books.
Jenny
Aug 19, 2017
JO A. LOVEDAY
Jun 26, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

Where There's Smoke (2 books)
  • Tempting the Flames (Where There's Smoke, #2)