Start by marking “Defense” as Want to Read:

Ariana

Betrayal. The pain and rage that consumed me was unbearable. My perfect reality had become my hurtful one. Loss of illusion settled inside me and constricted the air I breathed. I felt as if my entire life was a lie. Fresh out of law school, I needed a new start and to put the pieces of my life back together. When I left Boston and moved to New York, I met Luca Russo
Published January 27th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Defense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defense

Start your review of Defense
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
3 Stars

All in all, just...Mmmmmeh.

The premise was great and there was actually a LOT of potential for some awesomeness here...but the characters were never developed past the surface.

Ariana was too perfect.

As in, she's fresh out of Harvard law.

Where she was also Valedictorian of her class. Of course.

President of some big deal debate team...of course.

And gets a perfect score when she takes the Bar Exam...
...but, of course.

description

Plus, once we get to the main "plot spin" case of the whole book, it almo
Roksana
DNF

That quote....

Some called me a manwhore because I liked to sleep with women but refuse to give them anything more, and some called me a bastard because it was my way or no way. Did I care? Not in the least. I was a thirty-year-old man with the world at his fingertips. I had a successful career that I loved, a luxury apartment on Park Avenue, and the company of any beautiful woman I wanted at any time.

That sounds so shallow and here we have another self-centered, Hero: a promiscuous man who ha
Alex ♈
J. Grayland
Dec 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Ariana Williams fresh out of law school and on the brink of taking her bar exam leaves her family home when she finds out they have been keeping a secret from her for her whole life. Needing a new start Ariana moves to New York meeting up with an old BFF who gets Ariana a job as a temporary secretary at the law firm that she works for. High powered lawyer Luca Russo takes Ariana under his wing and arranges not only for somewhere for her to live but also for her to take her bar exam then hires he ...more
Lexy
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was good it almost had all the subjects in it and I really liked it
Rejane
I'm not sure about this one. Need more reviews. A woman fresh out of law school is hired by the hero to work in his firm and she already is going to be a defense attorney? Like 1st chair? No way even in la la land. Too fantastic.
So... need more investigation

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE : after a GR friend messaged me with info about this book this became a NO WAY book.
Her info makes me believe this one of the worst/disgusting plots.
And the betrayal: for the love of anybody, talk
Katerina
Feb 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Exam Q: To what extent can an author make your eye twitch from the excessive dimwittedness presented by the protagonist in her novel, "Defense". Discuss.

"Olivia and I hailed a cab and rode into the office together.”

Hey Arianna, why don't you take public transport considering you were ... you know ... struggling for cash.

I looked around one last time, arranging furniture in my head.
“All right. I’ll take it,” I spoke with excitement.”

Hey Arianna, for a Harvard graduate lawyer you don't seem too s
Anne OK
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
After spending over 40 years in the legal field and 30 in the chambers of a federal judge, this was beyond my ability to expand sensibilities to accept the procedures followed herein. I didn't like the lead characters from start to finish. Writing was jagged and felt off-centered throughout. Not for me -- I like a little more research and substantially provable facts. And the sexual content was less than meaningful - more robotic than anything else.

I was excited for this book's release from the
Dawn
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I Love Sandi Lynn & I have read all her books :)

the defence I have to say is brilliant, but for me it focused on the court case more than Ari & Luca,

Jessica *The Lovely Books*
I liked this up until I realized the big secret that Arianna left Boston and her family for. Maybe I’m insensitive, but I thought it was dumb for her to act that way. Things could have been much worse. Plus, the more I read, the more I realized that I didn’t really like the heroine all that much. The book would want you to believe she has no flaws, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. It became clear that she wasn’t as amazing as the author would have you believe. Especially in the way t ...more
Stacy Hahn
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is no secret that I am a big fan of Sandi Lynn. I absolutely love everything she has written. She's the queen of writing hot millionaire romances. Defense is no exception.

Luca Russo is a rich, high powered, sexy as sin attorney who is a player who loves to be in control both in and out of the court room. He felt out of control in his childhood and his past secrets made him who he is today. When he met Ariana Williams he lost some of that hard-fought control, which made me love him even more.

A
Adricrisuruta
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this story
Lisa
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Let me begin by saying, I was not asked to give a review and am not a friend of the author. This is my honest opinion.

I'd say I'm speechless but I've got plenty to say. Defense was undeniably executed with such finesse to exceed all of ones expectations. Just magnificent.

I loved both the hero (Luca) and heroine (Ariana). Luca Russo, a brilliant Defense (criminal) attorney, residing and practicing in New York City, partner with the majority shares at his law firm. Alpha male, handsome, sexy, co
Carol
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Defense

Be prepared! To be so into this story! It will take hold of you, keep you, make you wonder, question everyone? This story is so intense, has so many unanswered questions, you will want to keep reading to just find out a little more, then a little more. So get ready for the journey of your life with Luca and Ariana. Great story full of so much suspicion, lies, setting someone up, murder, lust, revenge, it has it all. Enjoy!!!
Nina Wallace
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 Murder Mystery Romance Stars.

Wow was that book cringy! I tried so hard to like this book but wow two very insufferable characters falling in insta love is always a recipe for disaster.
Jo
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it
This is some new elements in hers. This time talking about a trail. She is the new graduated from law school, new practice lawyer n saved him for second degree murder.

It remainder me watching a tv series, a good wife, the people in the law firm, they may be the guy who fight for justice, but they didn't. It's ugly when it came to money, greed, power n revenge.

The secret of Ari was not that bad, at least she has a completed family to protect her, her biological parents still there n doing great b
Barbara Gramatikas
What a great book

Just when I think the author has written her best book yet, she slays it with something completely different. I love books about the law and this one didn't disappoint. I read it in one day ( I took a break to go to a billy Joel concert) and when I got home I finished the book!! Can't wait to see what she comes out with next!! I hope we don't have to wait too long
Paula Hoskins
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Sandi Lynn Hit

You can never go wrong with a Sandi Lynn romance. What's not to love an alpha male who you'll fall in love with and a strong female who shows who she is. A Must read. Once you start it guaranteed you won't put it down.
Afini
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've always been a fan of Sandi Lynn and Defense did not disappoint! ...more
My Mind
May 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
I am surprised that this book has such high ratings, below you will find my thoughts on the story as I listened to it, keep in mind that I endured listening to it until 1:15:48:

-The main male character is superficial and patronizing.
-I would love if the main female character doesn't a romantic relationship with the main male lead.
-Nothing attractive in the personality of the male character, there is no real substance I really do not want them to have a relationship, I can at least notice that sh
Misty Walker
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
*audio review*

Sandi Lynn always writes really hot books but this one was more on the sweet side and definitely more on the legal side. I enjoyed it. It was exciting and I finished it in one sitting, not wanting to turn it off. The only issue I did have was that I did felt a slight drag in the middle but after that hump, it was great and I loved listening.

Veronica Worthington was fantastic. Perfect for this character. Very serious when she needed to be, very sexy when she needed to be. Her pacin
Kimberly
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book

I enjoyed this book. I love reading books by Sandi Lynn, her writing is flawless and so visceral.

Luca is a playboy lawyer who doesn't stay with a woman longer than a week. When

Ariana just moved from Boston to NY leaving behind her family due to their betrayal. Having graduated from Harvard Law, she just needs to take the bar. She meets Luca under false pretenses, he thinks that she's his new secretary. But when he finds out about her impressive background, he goes out of his way to make
Marybeth
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I listened to the Audiobook of this and the narrators were both very good. I really liked the story line even if at times what was happening seemed a bit unrealistic. However, this is just a story meant for entertainment purposes so that's okay with me. I liked the relationship between Luca and Ariana; they are both very strong characters and are super sexy, hot and steamy. Ariana does not take any crap from anyone including Luca. I admire that about her. Luca is gobsmacked by Ariana from the mo ...more
Sandra
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is not only a story filled with romance it has some suspense & minor angst.
A family betrayal sets Ariana on a journey to New York to start a new life & reconnect with a former friend. Luca is an epic womaniser & her friends boss. Of course she starts working for him & sparks fly. He's older than her & set in his ways & position. Having just got her legal degree Ariana is starting new. Sparks fly between these two & there is the question of workplace romance.
I think Ariana turns out to be a
Shelley
Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
She’s putting up a good defense😁

This is my first story by Sandi and I really enjoyed the dynamics of Luca and Ari, I felt like they had a good chemistry together. Ari is new to New York, after impulsively leaving her home town. Luca takes her under his wing and helps her get established with work and a place to live. When Luca is caught up in a murder trial, he calls Ari to defend him❣️

The trial portion and investigation part of this books was interesting but I find the trial portion a bit unrea
Mindy Lopez
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is my first read by this author, and I must say that I am pleasantly surprised. The storyline, the characters, and the author's writing style are quite good. It is a steamy, suspenseful romance between lawyers, Luca and Ariana. These characters are flawed, the connection strong, the chemistry hot, and the unique, sometimes unrealistic plot makes for an intriguing read. It is a love story with drama and steam, plus engaging secondary characters to keep the reader interested. Overall, it is a ...more
Tori
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
after Ariana left Boston to come to new York after her boyfriend sleep with her bestfriend . She is now an lawyer working for luca russo a high powered sexy attorney . Luca see Ariana and wants her and the chemistry is undeniable . Luca is holding a secret, one that he didn;t want Ariana to find out but she did, Luca need help with that secret because like at secrets it came out nd now Ariana is the only one whom can help with the and keep out of jail

I received a free copy of this book via Books
Karen Goodman
Mar 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well Done!

The characters and storyline is engaging, intense and believable. The twist and turns of the story are worth it....I think what I enjoyed most is the storyline wasn’t too overbearing or heavy. The author stayed true to her style of writing but I feel out of all of her books I’ve read this one has the most grit.

I would definitely recommend this book and for the most part, this author. Her writing style is a breathe of fresh air since she keeps her books light and ensures a happy ending
Theresa Doherty
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ariana had worked hard and it had paid off, unfortunately her personal life had taken the hits, sheer luck had got her this job when Luca the boss had offered her the work he had one thing in mind, what he didn't know is Ariana would become his sa for. Hot from the start with a twister that pulls you up short, perfect.

Tammy
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Defense

5 stars!!!!!!! OMG I loved reading Defense, Sandi did it again. From the beginning I fell in love with Arianna and Luca. I could not put this book down, I started it at 12:30 this afternoon and just finished it at midnight. This is a must have buy it you won't be disappointed. Let me just say the sex scenes were beautiful. Thank you Sandi for another beautiful story.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Harbor Falls
  • Look But Don't Touch
  • The Boss
  • In His Office: An Enemies to Lovers Standalone Romance
  • Billion Dollar Enemy
  • Arrogant Boss
  • Strictly Forbidden (Playboys of New York #2)
  • Billion Dollar Beast
  • Seven Day Wife: A Fake Marriage Office Romance
  • Billion Dollar Catch (Seattle Billionaires Book 3)
  • Breaking Rules (The Scottish Billionaire #2)
  • Dr. Mitchell (Billionaires' Club #1)
  • The Merger (Playboys of New York #3)
  • Mending Fate (The Scottish Billionaire #3)
  • Mr. Mitchell: Billionaires' Club Book 2 (Billionaires' Club Series)
  • New Boss Old Enemy.: An Enemies To Lovers Office Romance
  • Off Limits (Playboys of New York #1)
  • The Groomsman
Writing is my passion and my mission is to provide readers with romance novels that will whisk them away into another world and from the daily grind of life - one book at a time.