Start by marking “Demise of a Devious Neighbor” as Want to Read:
Demise of a Devious Neighbor

Demise of a Devious Neighbor

(River's Edge Cozy Mystery #2)

The reverberating bangs shake Melanie Perkin's nerves. Either someone's aiming at her truck, or they don't know fireworks are supposed to go upward. Could things get any worse?

Yes. The next day she discovers a dead body in the barn on her late parents' farm, Sheriff's Deputy Granger's gun pointed at the chest of a primary suspect - someone she holds dear.
Kindle Edition
Published January 13th 2017 by Annie Acorn Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about Demise of a Devious Neighbor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Demise of a Devious Neighbor

Start your review of Demise of a Devious Neighbor
Betty
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy, e-books, own
The second book in the River Edge series. An Elaine Orr is always a relaxing and enjoyable read. This book continues with the back story from the first book. Melanie Perkins and her brother Ambrose were hit with a breach of contract suit on the death of their parents in a automobile.
Melanie received a static phone call from Peter Frost asking her to meet him at their barn. Arriving at the barn she finds her brother holding a bloody knife standing over the body of Frost. A sheriff deputy Gr
Elisabeth
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great addition to a great series

I can always trust Elaine Orr to write an entertaining mystery that keeps me involved with the story from page 1. We not only get a good mystery, but learn more about the characters and their families. And Ms Orr is such a delightful writer that I often slow down and just enjoy the way the words flow. She doesn't need on screen violence or colorful language to keep our attention. Good plot, great description, realistic characters, locale that's part of the st
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
It's a little early for fireworks, after all the 4th isn't for another week. Plus you really aren't supposed to shoot them at people in cars. Every week Melanie drives past her parents house to check that things are okay while she waits for the her parents estate to settle out. The next day she gets a call from the neighbor, who is trying to steal her parents farm in the courts, he wants to meet both her and her brother at her parents barn to discuss the legal battle. When she gets to the barn s ...more
Jan
Twisty and with lots of suspense. Set in small town rural Iowa which, basically could be farm town anywhere. Everybody knows everyone's business, and the gossip is spread really fast. The murder victim was an unlucky opportunist, the alleged murderer a former resident with a good reason to seriously dislike the man. Plus, there's a manuscript of a mystery novel based on local events, suspicion of illegal goings on, and a deputy with an ax to grind, and some really serious hard evidence. Good ref ...more
Dan Rogers
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
What an enjoyable story. It's been quite some time since I've taken the time to read a cozy mystery. This one was very enjoyable and difficult to put down. I was a little put off by some of the language which occasionally appeared. That was the only thing which kept me from giving it five stars. I received a copy of this book from eBook Discovery. I voluntarily review this book. This is my honest review.
Marcela
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free from the author / narrator / publisher, in exchange for an unbiased review.

Both the author and narrator were new to me.

This was a nice listen.
The story moved along well and kept your attention throughout.

Pat Eroh
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was annoyed that I didn't read the first book first. But this was a fabulous book! So then I had to go read the first book in the series. Not that it changed anything. They were both awesome. And I discovered I have more I can read. So I will! Love this series.
Debbie Elholm
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I'm giving this book 4 1/2 stars. There were a few mistakes in it, but overall, the book moved quickly and the characters were interesting. I didn't know who the murderer was, so that's bonus points for the author.
Melanie (or Mel, as she prefers) was a reporter who now has her own landscaping/planting business. She and her brother, are in involved with a court proceeding involving the family farm. A neighbor, they both dislike, has informed them after their parents had died that their parents h
Angala Fox
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free from eBook Discovery. I voluntarily reviewed this book. This is my honest review.
This was an awesome cozy mystery filled with edge of your seat suspense and page turning mystery. I couldn't put this down until I reached the last page. Definitely recommend this must read.
Emme
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
Really enjoyed book 2 in the River's Edge series. The book had me thinking several of the townsfolk were the killer, but in the end it was a total surprise. It definitely continues to carry the small town feel with the gossip central being the diner and hardware store.

As a pet parent (owner who treats their pet like a child) it is nice to see how Melanie has become so attached to Mister Tibbs....still chuckle that it's actually a female dog.

This time there is a murder in
Lisa Denn
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I received a copy of this book from eBook Discovery in exchange for an honesr review.

Did I enjoy this book? Absolutely!
Since reading this book it has come to my attention that it is the second book in Elaine Orr's River's Edge series. The author provides enough background information regarding the characters and the preceeding book's storyline so that it can be enjoyed as part of her series or as a stand alone book.

The author tells a tale where the amateur sleuth, Amy Perkins, play
Jan Pfeifer
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun Cozy mystery, hard to put down once started. It is only the first of Elaine Orr's novels that I'll be reading.
I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a fun mystery.

I received this book for free from eBook Discovery in exchange for my honest review.
Kerry Smith
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book from ebook discovery in exchange for an honest review.

This is a wonderful story with well rounded characters.

Having started a new career as a gardener/landscaper Melanie is hoping that life will get back to normal soon. Of course life could never be that simple.
As if the neighbor who has claimed that her parents were going to sell their farm to him (well below market rate) before their deaths two years ago turning up dead himself in the bar
Norma
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the characters and the setting. This was my first book by this author and I think I will look for more.

I received this book for free from eBook Discovery. I voluntarily review this book. This is my honest review.
Susan M. Miller
Feb 15, 2019
Suzatm
Mar 12, 2017
Karen B.
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Elaine L. Orr is the author the Jolie Gentile series and if you enjoyed those mysteries you will probably enjoy the River's Edge cozy series. This is book two in the series and Melanie and her brother Ambrose find a dead body on their dead parents' property. This is a man who is claiming their father agreed to sell him the property at a ridiculously low price and is taking them to court over it. So of course, they would have motive and when Ambrose is found with a bloody knife in his hand he bec ...more
Deborah Adkins
Feb 20, 2017
Pearl Meaker
Feb 17, 2019
Also published as Elaine L. Orr
Elaine Orr writes fiction and nonfiction. The three-book River's Edge cozy mystery series (from Annie Acorn Publishing) debuted in November 2015. "Demise of a Devious Neighbor" appeared in fall 2016 and was a finalist for the 2017 Chanticleer Mystery and Mayhem Awards.

Elaine introduced the Jolie Gentil series in 2011 and many of the eleven books hit bests

River's Edge Cozy Mystery (2 books)
  • From Newsprint to Footprints (River's Edge Cozy Mysteries, #1)