Start by marking “Esme's Wish (Esme Series #1)” as Want to Read:
Esme's Wish (Esme Series #1)

Esme's Wish

(Esme Series #1)

“A fresh new fantasy of an enchanting world.” - Wendy Orr, New York Times best selling author of Nim’s Island.

When fifteen-year-old Esme Silver objects at her father’s wedding, her protest is dismissed as the action of a stubborn, selfish teenager. Everyone else has accepted the loss of Esme’s mother, Ariane – so why can’t she?

But Esme is suspicious. She is sure that othe
Published October 30th 2017 by Odyssey Books

Veronica ⭐️
Esme’s Wish is the debut novel and first in a series by Australian author Elizabeth Foster.

Esme’s mother had disappeared seven years ago, thought to have been lost at sea. Her father is now remarrying but Esme doesn’t believe the ‘lost at sea’ claim and while her father is away on his honeymoon she plans to do some investigating of her own.
While searching for clues about her mother’s disappearance Esme finds a doctor’s note about her mother’s headaches, delusions and talk of other worlds. Was he
Phrynne
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-books
I am going to review this as a children's book and give it four stars for being very nicely written with some good ideas, a bit of adventure, a classically evil bad guy and teenagers who are smarter than the adults.

I enjoyed the characters and the magic, especially the dragons. I always love a good dragon story but felt that the author wasted hers a little, basically just using them as a means of transport. Maybe in the next book she will let them be more significant.

Actually the next book will
Brenda
Seven years prior, Esme’s mother had vanished, presumed lost at sea. Now her father was remarrying, and fifteen-year-old Esme’s heart fought against it. She didn’t like Penelope and her family – her dominance of her father, and herself made her squirm. But her father had moved on – if only Esme could as well.

When her father left for his honeymoon, Esme decided to continue her quest to find out what had happened to her mother. Ariane had been a beautiful spirit, and Esme missed her fiercely. She
chloe ❀
This is an amazing tale about friendship, dragons and a beautiful world with big oceans and small islands. At first I thought Esme's Wish was a contemporary, and not a fantasy (remind me to check out the Goodreads summary before reading a book). I thought Ariane really went mad and that this was a book about mental health.

The author's writing is beautiful. She made me fall in love with a world I was totally unfamiliar with - Esperance. I looked up the word "Esperance" and oh my goodness it's so
Amanda
You can also find my review here:https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

Esme's Wish is a beautiful, vivid fantasy novel of one girl's journey into a magical world to find out what happened to her mother who had suddenly disappeared. The portrayal of magic in this book is enchanting and the descriptions made the fantasy world come to life. This is a story of adventure and friendship that takes place in a magical world.

The book moves kind of slowly, but that aspect didn't bother me. The layers o
Carolyn Denman
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loveozya
Fifteen-year-old Esme Silver is heartbroken when her dad remarries, seven years after her mother, Ariane, has gone missing. While the newly-weds are away on their honeymoon, Esme realises that this is her last opportunity to delve into the mystery of her mother’s disappearance before she is forced to ‘put it all behind her’ and move on. She quickly uncovers a series of clues that had been kept from her as a young child, which lead her to a journey to a parallel world.
The world she discovers has
Ace
Jan 12, 2018 rated it liked it
3 stars
⛤⛤⛤

Reading this for a group read was probably the only reason that I kept reading until the end. My initial reaction was that this was more of a children's book than for young adults. "Esmee" as the name is pronounced is a very young 15, sheltered and living at a lighthouse in what appears to be a very small town.

However, if you like dragons, which I do, and magic, which I do, then this is a fun book with lots of mystery and adventure and a good strong finish.
Kirstin
I love this novel, and honestly I am going to read it whenever I find myself sad and anxious about my place in the world - this novel took me to an amazing place and filled me with so much joy. I'd forgotten exactly what it felt like to be young - when I used to wish the mermaids would take me away, and something about this wonderful story took me right back to when imagination and dreams were real.
Elizabeth
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Wondering what this story is about? Here's a recent review by Compass Book Ratings.

This is a sweet story about the love of a daughter for her missing mother. Being a strong female lead, Esme is fifteen and narrates the story. The affection she has for her mother has pushed her to think "outside the box." If you have a heart for mythology and folk lore, you might just love this one too. The story is a gentle cross between Madeleine L'Engle and Rick Riordan's style of writing. A triangle of frien
Nadia King
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sydney-sider, Elizabeth Foster charms readers with her delightful tale of magical fantasy in Esme’s Wish.

Esme’s Wish is the first in a fantasy trilogy for readers 10+.

The story is centred around fifteen-year-old Esme’s search for her missing mother, Ariane. Everyone but Esme has given up on finding Ariane who went missing at sea. Seven years on, Esme’s Dad has decided to remarry a horrid woman called Penelope. While her dad and Penelope are honeymooning, Esme makes a last ditch to find her mothe
D.M. Cameron
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I actually didn't read this. My good friend's 13 year old daughter did, and as you can see, she has given it five stars. Here is what she had to say - "Esme's Wish by Elizabeth Foster is an exciting book because it is unpredictable. It twists and turns and you never know what is going to happen next. Because of this, I didn't want to put it down. I always wanted to find out what would happen. The other thing I liked about it was the believability of the characters. I felt like I really got to kn ...more
Montzalee Wittmann
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Esme's Wish (Esme Series #1) by Elizabeth Foster is a book I requested and the review is voluntary. This is a delightful and beautifully fanciful with magic and love. A young girl looks for her mother and is whisked into a alternative world with stores that have the craziest and most amazing things. It is a heart warming story of love between a mother and daughter. It's perfect for middle grade kids up to teens.
Yesha
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*** NOTE: I RECEIVED REVIEW COPY OF THIS BOOK FROM THE AUTHOR, IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW. MANY THANKS TO AUTHOR FOR GIVING ME A CHANCE TO READ THIS BOOK. ***

Esme’s Wish is first in the series really sets its level of creativeness and inventiveness that blurb promises. Book is Middle Grade fantasy that can also enjoyed by YA readers. It was about lust for power vs love and doing a right thing for greater good and mainly about daughter-mother love with a struggle of teenage girl in finding
Melissa (The Reader & The Chef)
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

*This review can also be found on The Reader and the Chef! Huge thanks to the author for the review copy in exchange of my honest opinion.*

Ahhh, Esme's Wish turned out to be far better than what I imagined! Author Elizabeth Foster created a wonderful world and storyline full of magic, adventure, and friendship. You certainly don't want to miss this amazing read!

What I Liked:

This book gave me the book tingles right from the start! You know, that sense you feel in your cor
Jenny Glover
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Esme’s Wish is a coming-of-age tale of a misfit who refuses to accept a 'truth' she’s told she has to believe and move on. Her rebellion sparks an adventure interwoven with mystery, magic, and astonishing self-discovery.
Elizabeth Foster’s characters ‒ human and otherwise ‒ are well-drawn, solidly real in their family tensions and peer struggles; so real that one particular character always conjured up the image of a young teen I used to know, who would have relished being cast in such a tale.
Bu
Fanna
Esme’s Wish is a fantasy woven with dragons, magical powers, enchanted objects, and a scenery that is breathtaking to read. Add a little Greek Mythology into the mix and a mother-daughter relationship for the most realistic vibe. It’s basically a perfect recipe for a MG-to-YA to devour.

The story revolves around Esme, a fifteen-year-old girl who isn’t very happy with her father commencing his second marriage because she misses her missing mother and hopes for her to return one day. But when t
Madison
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Esme’s Wish is a delightful fantasy that captures the beauty of a watery, magical world, the trust of true friendship, and the strength of one girl’s loyalty to her mother.

Esme longs to discover what happened to her mother, who disappeared several years ago. Everyone else, including her father, have moved on, but for Esme, the unanswered questions plague her. Until, in her search, she finds herself magically transported to the world of Aeolia. There she discovers that her mother had an extra li
Pocket Full of Pages
We would just like to say a very big thank you to the author of ‘Esme’s Wish’, Elizabeth Foster! Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us, offering us both the chance to receive a signed copy of her extraordinary novel along with two gorgeous bookmarks which we absolutely adore! We couldn’t wait to dive into this novel!

‘Esme’s Wish’ is the tale of a fifteen year old teenage girl, Esme Silver, who has witnessed the unbreakable boundary of which her father has crossed when choosing to rema
Marie McLean
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fifteen-year-old Esme’s mother disappeared at sea seven years ago and it seems she is the only one who is unable to move on. Her sense of hopelessness is amplified in the opening scene, with her father marring Penelope - a woman for whom she has developed a mutual dislike.

While her father is on honeymoon, Esme decides this is her last chance to investigate her mother’s disappearance, believing that others are covering up what really happened to her all those years ago.

She travels to the family’
Brydie Wright
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Esme's Wish starts like any other realistic YA fiction: - with a troubled teen in the real-world, railing at the powerlessness of her plight in the world of adults. There is clearly an element of mystery from the outset, with the strange disappearance of her mother but no immediate indication of any supernatural elements... Drawn in by a well-paced and relatable realism, the narrative takes a turn (unexpected, for me) towards fantasy but even so, it remains accessible. Esme finds herself in a re ...more
Megan Higginson
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book should come with a warning: DO NOT start reading before going to sleep when you have to get up early for work.

I found this book unputdownable (Not a word but the only way I can describe it). I loved the way Elizabeth paints a picture of everything in this new world that Esme finds herself in, to the clues to solve the mystery of Esme's mother's disappearance. I enjoyed how Elisabeth shows how Esme's wounds of the past and present effect how she treats people, including her new friends
Kate
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing, a beautiful tale of a girl and her quest to find her mother. It hooked me right to the start - loved the beginning of the book with the entertaining wedding situation.

The incredible language just washes over you and adds to the magical atmosphere. I'm not a big fantasy fan but I still loved this book because of it's intriguing mystery.

I'd recommend it to anyone, from 13 years old to anyone who doesn't mind a little magic - I couldn't put it down.
Tonja Drecker
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Magic, adventure, and beautiful writing make this a book to sink into and never leave.

Esme is anything but thrilled by her father's choice as he remarries, especially since the circumstances surrounding the disappearance of her mother a few years before are still unclear. Well, at least in her mind. Everyone else wants her to let go, but she can't. When she sneaks away from the ever tightening choke hold her new life has placed on her and ventures to the vacation cabin her mother loved to visit,
Dany
Fame's overrated. Friendship's not

I don't remember reading books about dragons except Harry potter. And this book was a surprise with dragons in it. The book had obvious bits of greek myth and eerily similar atlanta vibes to it , but it amazed me.

Esme our 15 year old protagonist has lost her mother mysteriously before 7 years and his father's getting remarried without her consent. While everyone in her town calls her mom crazy , she still believes her mother will return one day. After her fath
paulinereidbookreviewer
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was gifted the ebook, Esme's Wish from the author in exchange for a honest review.

I thoroughly enjoyed this imaginative book about a girl aged 15, Esme, whom swims into another world to find out what happened to her Mum that disappeared some years ago (thought drowned by some). This was actually triggered when Esme's Dad remarried, which is actually the introduction and beginning of the book.

In this book you will discover, a fantasy world of dragons, Sygians and we also discover that Esme has
Angela
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway and passed it to our 11 year old to read and review.

Review by Alice
Esme is a fifteen-year-old girl who lost her mother at the age of eight.  Everyone else seems to have moved on, thinking that Ariane was lost at sea, so why can’t Esme?  But, Esme doesn’t lose hope, she goes searching for her mother to a world full of wonder and magic.

Esme’s wish is a book, that showcases the importance of family and trust. This book is very good although it would be even b
SD Jericho
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was thrilled to read this book for 2 reasons:
1) Have you seen the blurb?
2) I got to start my very own mini book club with my very own mini-me, my 11-year-old daughter.

My daughter is not the biggest fan of reading. But reading this book together, made the lights go on for her. And one night, she stayed up till after midnight just reading because she was so incredibly engaged in this story. And so, I’d like to take this opportunity to tell you all that the magic of Aeolia is real!
It was so mu
Rayleigh
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Her mother has gone missing and her father just remarried. Is seven years too long to still grasp onto the hope that Ariane will return? Or should Esme move on too and just accept that her mother met her fate and will never come home?

Esme’s Wish is a story of emotion, questions, and adventure. What begins as a mental breakdown with Esme coming to reason that everyone is likely right about her mom, then takes a sudden turn and launches her into a world lined with the hope that maybe, just maybe,
Carmel Bendon
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Esme’s Wish, by Sydney-based author Elizabeth Foster, is a book that really fires the imagination.
When Esme’s father remarries there is nothing for the sensitive 15 year old to celebrate. In fact, the wedding intensifies Esme’s longing for, and curiosity about, her mother, Ariane, who disappeared – believed ‘lost at sea’ – some seven years earlier. And so begins Esme’s quest to collect more memories and, if possible, find definitive evidence of what became of her beloved mother. Very soon, this
Aki
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Esme’s Wish is endearingly lovely and adorably filling my heart with nothing but delight. I’m soOooOOoo glad I got the chance to read this masterpiece!

The story follows Esme as she unfold the mystery behind the sudden disappearance of her mother. Seven years after the vanishing, Esme’s father decided to remarried, much to her dismay. When the newly weds are out for honeymoon, Esme decided to unravel the mystery of her mother, discovering a world named Aeolia. There, she was able to find
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Destiny of the Light (Shadow Through Time, #1)
  • Return of the Ancients (The Valkeryn Chronicles, #1)
  • Songlines (The Sentinels of Eden, #1)
  • Remember Me (Collective, #2)
  • Bottled
  • A Murder Unmentioned (Rowland Sinclair #6)
  • Facing Up
  • Aurora: Pegasus (Aurora, #2)
  • The Amber Isle (Book of Never, #1)
  • A Class Apart (Class Heroes, #1)
  • Iris and the Tiger
  • Cold Faith (Safe Harbour series #1)
  • Music Box (Dollhouse, #4)
  • Legends of Australian Fantasy
  • North Star Guide Me Home (Children of the Black Sun #3)
  • The Road to Winter (Winter, #1)
  • The Ones That Disappeared
  • Fire in the Sea

Elizabeth Foster read avidly as a child, but only discovered the joys of writing some years ago, when reading to her own kids reminded her of how much she missed getting lost in other worlds. Once she started writing, she never looked back. She’s at her happiest when immersed in stories, plotting new conflicts and adventures for her characters. Elizabeth lives in Sydney, where she can be found scr