Start by marking “Single Malt Murder (Whisky Business Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Single Malt Murder (Whisky Business Mystery #1)

Single Malt Murder (Whisky Business Mystery #1)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  449 Ratings  ·  138 Reviews
Abigail Logan never expected to inherit a whisky distillery in the Scottish Highlands. But in the first novel of an engaging new series blending fine spirits with chilling mystery, Abi finds that there are secrets lurking in the misty glens that some will go to any lengths to protect . . . even murder.

When Abi inherits her uncle’s quaint and storied single malt distillery
Published March 21st 2017 by Alibi

To ask other readers questions about Single Malt Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Single Malt Murder

James
4 stars to Melinda Mullet's Single Malt Murder: A Whisky Business Mystery, the first book in the new "Whisky Business" cozy mystery series. I stumbled across this book on NetGalley as a pre-release opportunity to read and review. I'm so glad I did! It was a fantastic new cozy with all the Scottish charm you'd come to expect... and now I may need to take up whisky drinking (even more than the Jack Daniels I already enjoy too frequently)!

Story
Abi Logan's a semi-famous photographer in London, who
Brenda
When Abigail Logan’s Uncle Ben passed from cancer, she was devastated. He’d been her surrogate dad since her parents had been killed in a car accident when she was a child; his death was a dreadful loss. But the shock she received when she inherited Abbey Glen, a single malt whisky distillery in the Scottish Highlands had her wondering what on earth she would do. Abi knew absolutely nothing about whisky and the making of it – she decided to take a couple of weeks off work to sort through the est ...more
NicoleG
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good start to an interesting series! For me, it was in the vein of a cozy but much grittier. Maybe due to the theme (I'm not well versed on the subject of whiskey) so I guess I learned a few things along the way. It was a solid mystery and the characters were well developed. I hope to get to know them better in the next book in the series.

I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley.
Monnie
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely delicious! I'm speaking of the book, not the booze. I enjoyed every word of this one from beginning to end. And speaking of words, I must point out that you'll find no "e" in whisky here; the Scots, I've learned, spell it "whisky" while the Irish - and as far as I can tell, we Americans - prefer "whiskey."

It was the title, in fact, that prompted my initial interest; our son was a devotee of single malt Scotch. He shared a number of varieties with my husband and I, although to be hone
Yvonne
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Photojournalist Abigail Logan is devastated when her uncle Ben dies. He’s the only family she had left. Now she discovers her uncle left her his whisky distillery. She knows nothing about the whisky business, but she realizes she better learn quickly. Along with her best friend, Patrick, and her faithful dog Liam, they head to the Scottish Highlands to check things out.

Abigail finds herself faced with the task of selling the distillery and there are quite a few buyers in the running. It’s not lo
Rane
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When Abigail Logan's Uncle Ben dies and leaves her a whiskey distillery, the world traveled photographer is at a lost in what to do with a whiskey distillery?! With her best friend and whiskey expert Patrick and her wheaten terrier Liam in tow. She goes to see what her Uncle Ben's life was like in the small Scottish Highlands village and this old distillery. Even before she can set eyes on the place, she starts getting odd and strange threats. Thinking it was just a bit of misogyny on a woman r ...more
Ian
It's OK like a hundred other books are OK.
Books like this one will either fly or crash on how the setting is handled.

Unfortunately this book was an opportunity missed, the mystery wasn't good enough to fly on its own but it could have been saved by concentrating more on the whisky making process. If I walked away feeling like an expert on Scotch I probably would have enjoyed it much more. As it is, it's just OK.

description
LORI CASWELL
Apr 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
Dollycas’s Thoughts

This series is off to a spectacular start!

Photojournalist Abi Logan lost her parents early in her life in an auto accident. She was then raised by her Uncle Ben. She has been traveling around the world to some pretty dangerous places while Uncle Ben retired to Scotland and opened a single malt distillery. Sadly Ben passes away and leaves his business to Abi. She and her friend Patrick, a wine and whiskey aficionado, travel to Scotland along with Liam, Ami’s Wheaten Terrier to
July Is The Shadow Out of Time The Haunted Reading Room
Review of SINGLE MALT MURDER by Melinda Mullet

I totally loved this engaging, intriguing, and delightful debut mystery, first in a series. I read it in one sitting because I couldn't turn away from it. Some years ago I read a Deborah Crombie mystery whose setting included a woman's inheritance of a Scottish distillery [NOW MAY YOU WEEP], so when I found SINGLE MALT MURDER available for review, I leaped to it.

Abi (Abigail) Logan is a photojournalist of war and misery, documenting the evils humans
Linda Baker
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Award-winning photojournalist Abigail Logan is grieving the death of her uncle Ben, who raised her after the death of her parents in an auto accident. Fifteen years prior to his death from cancer Ben sold up his London holdings and purchased a small whisky distillery in the Scottish Highlands. Abby is now the owner of the distillery but has no plans to continue. She loves her globe-trotting career and has no intention of taking up distilling single malt and settling down in a small village. But ...more
Lynn
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Abi Logan inherits her uncle's small distillery in Scotland. The distillery has a very good reputation for producing quality single malt whisky. I thought it was interesting about the difference between single malt and whisky blends. The information about whisky production was one of the most interesting parts of the book for me.

Abi is a world famous journalist and photographer. She travels to Abbey Glen to look over the business. Her initial plan seems to be to sell the business and go back to
Rima Aiello
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A strong first installment on what seems to be a promising new series. We are introduced to Abi, an award winning photojournalist, who inherits her uncle's whiskey distillery after he succumbs to his illness. Not knowing the first thing about the day to day running of the distillery, Abi trudges through her grief and with her friend Patrick and furry companion Liam, travel to Scotland.
Its not easy being a female owner in a predominately man's business, and Abi cannot decide if she even wants to.
Anastasia
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Single Malt Murder by Melinda Mullet is the first book in A Whisky Business Mystery series. Photographer and journalist Abigail Logan inherits a whisky distillery in Scotland, but finds herself in the middle of threats and sabotage and then murder. An interesting cozy mystery with engaging characters and an unexpected ending.Being a non whisky drinker, I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would and I found the information on whisky informative and interesting.
Tari
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lots of suspects, a murder or two--seems Scotland isn't quite as peaceful as Abi would have thought!

Abi Logan has inherited her uncle's entire estate and distillery. Since then she's been been getting weird threats. When she arrives in Scotland, the general consensus is that it's someone who hopes to scare her into selling the distillery. But finding a body in the washback after Ben's funeral was not on this photo journalist's agenda.

With the help of her friend Patrick she decides she needs to
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
As a Scottish mystery, the writing is spot on. Small details – meticulously incorporated – enhance the overall reading experience and immerse the reader in the setting. I’m not a whisky connoisseur (or any alcohol for that matter) but from what little knowledge I do have, the description of the process as well as the whisky itself are both delectable and intriguing.

As a mystery in general, this story is very well-plotted. Enough potential suspects to keep you guessing until the very end, a few n
Janet Robel
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it

The first book in a new series does credit to the cozy mystery genre. There's a great cast of characters, some twists, and, of course, murder. Abi has inherited a whiskey distillery, and someone is sabotaging the equipment. When a body is found, Abi will stop at nothing to find the culprit behind all this. There are plenty of suspects here among the setting of Scotland. I will definitely be on the lookout for bo
Nancy
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Murderous Romp Through Scotland’s Whiskey Business

Abi Logan, an award-winning photo journalist, is devastated when the uncle, who raised her after her parent’s death, dies from cancer. She was on a photo shoot when he died, and she blames herself for not spending more time with him. Her guilt is compounded when she discovers that he’s left her a distillery in Scotland making a sought-after single malt whiskey.

Abi with her friend Patrick, and delightful dog, Liam, journey to Scotland to check
Artemiz
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2017
Single Malt Murder is an very interesting criminal mystery, where you can learn much about making whisky and about life in small Scottish town, besides solving a murder.

The built up of this story is very clever, readers get to know the main characters, they learn a lot about whiskey, about the little village, about the workers in the distillery and about potential buyers of the distillery and almost everybody of them has reason to send the threats or even to commit the murder. True, at one point
Lori
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
First I would like to thank Netgalley and Randon House Publishing Group for allowing me to read this advanced copy.

As soon as I read the description of this book I was eager to get it, and it did not disappoint. Abi inherits a whiskey distillery from her uncle. Since she has a break from work she heads to Scotland to check things out. First she is threatened and then when she finds a body, she starts to investigate what is going on with her inheritance. I could not put this story down and highl
Juli
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Single Malt Murder is the first book in a brand new series -- The Whisky Business Mystery series. The theme and the cover got my attention, pulling me in to read this book by new author, Melinda Mullet. I'm glad...this was an enjoyable read!

First, the basics: Following the death of her Uncle Ben, Abigail Logan inherits Abbey Glen whisky distillery in rural Scotland. Abi is uneasy about the situation. Not only because as an award-winning photojournalist, she knows nothing about whisky distilling,
Babs
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Abigail Logan has inherited Abbey Glen, a single malt whisky distillery in the Scottish Highlands. She had no clue what she would do and since losing her Uncle Ben that left it to her she was devastated.

Just when she is taking off work to sort things out she starts to receive threats they get worse as she carries out her Uncles’s wishes.

A young mad is found floating in a vat of whisky and with her best friend Patrick and her dog Liam she sets out to find out what happened and by whom.

This is th
Kristine (A Cozy Booknook)
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, cozy-mystery
This is a wonderful debut mystery! The story quickly drew my attention and kept me glued to the pages. The characters are vibrant, likable and believable. The author does such a wonderful job of describing the setting and various locations I could easily picture them in my mind. The mystery is well executed with plenty of suspects, I was kept guessing until the end. I really enjoyed this story and hope to read more books in this series in the future.

I received a copy of this manuscript from the
Shirley
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes books that you just stumble upon turn out to be true gems. :)

So, I've felt like I've been in a rut with my reading lately - especially with my review requests. Not that I needed to add anything to my TBR shelf, but I do like variety ;) That's how I stumbled upon Single Malt Murder and I am so glad that I did. It didn't take me long to fall in love with Abi, Liam, her best friend Patrick and the close knit group of people in the community her Uncle Ben had called home.

There was so muc
Becky Burciaga
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A sophisticated, complex and intriguing mystery involving murder and mayhem. With the multitude of players involved, the twists and turns, constant change of suspects based on cleverly placed clues and eliminations, the story could have been confusing, but through the author's crafty way of delineating the facts kept the story flowing smoothly and quite nicely.

Abi's ability to narrow everyone she met down to three word impressions, through her instincts , was genius in adding a layer of complex
Lisa Morin
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
An interesting start to a new series. Abi inherits her uncle's scotch whiskey distillery in Scotland and upon her arrival she finds that the small town is against a woman taking over the business. It becomes clear that Abi is someone's target,
Although there is an abundance of information about whisky and the whole process, it doesn't take away from the book. It was actually interesting to read about details involved.

I voluntarily read an ARC of this book provided by the publisher and NetGalley.
Wedma
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Den Krimi habe ich gern gelesen. Dabei viel über die Herstellung von Whisky erfahren.
Klappentext beschreibt den Fall sehr gut: „Hochprozentig kriminell.

Abigal Logan, erfolgreiche Fotojournalistin Anfang dreißig, hätte nie gedacht, dass sie einmal eine Whisky-Destillerie in Schottland erben würde. Und eine Frau als Eigentümerin eines solchen Kleinods? Als sie mit ihrem Kollegen Patrick, einem Whisky-Kenner, und ihrem Terrier Liam dort ankommt, macht man ihr sehr deutlich klar, dass man sie nicht
Buchdoktor
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abigail Logan lebt als Fotojournalistin in London, eine richtige Stadtpflanze. Nach dem Tod ihrer Eltern wurde Abi von ihrem Onkel Ben aufgenommen, der ihr nun überraschend ein Haus und eine Whisky-Destillerie in Schottland vererbt hat. Dass Abi sich kaum darum gekümmert hatte, warum Onkel Ben so viel Zeit in Schottland verbrachte, vielleicht sogar eifersüchtig auf sein neues Hobby war, bereitet ihr nun ein schlechtes Gewissen.

Abis geerbte „Liegenschaften“ erweisen sich als Schmuckstück von ein
Ashley
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

I really enjoyed this mystery book! I almost started reading the second one on accident when I got an ARC copy but really wanted to read in order so I picked this up from the library to read first.

Abi inherits her uncles distillery when he suddenly passes away. Her parents passed away in a car accident when she was young and her uncle lovingly takes her in. She grows to be a photojournalist who is on the gone a lot and not really looking to stay in one place. Her uncle being her only famil
marlin1
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, ebook
After the death of her parents when Abigail was eight years old, it's just been her and her Uncle Ben. His death hits her hard, especially as she blames herself that she wasn't there at the end with him. In fact with her job of a professional photojournalist, especially in war torn areas, it's left her little time to spend with her Uncle in the later years. Therefore she is shocked to learn that she has inherited a small whisky distillery in the depths of Scotland with complete control. But it s ...more
Mystereity Reviews
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Single Malt Murder weaves a twisty tale of greed, murder and whisky into a captivating cozy mystery. Set in the idyllic Scottish Highlands, Abi inherits a whisky distillery from her uncle and suddenly finds herself the target of threats and sabotage. When a young man from the village is found dead in a vat of whisky, Abi is determined to find out who is sabotaging her uncle’s distillery and just what’s important enough to kill for.

I thoroughly enjoyed this one, the history and methods of the whi
Melinda Mullet, was born in the US to two British parents. She grew up between Texas and the UK, eventually studying English Lit at an American university before deciding to embark on a career in international law.

After many years in the legal trenches she is happy to be known as a former lawyer, a travel junkie, and a life-long advocate for children’s literacy causes both domestic and internation
More about Melinda Mullet

Whisky Business Mystery (3 books)
  • Death Distilled (Whisky Business Mystery #2)
  • Deadly Dram  (Whisky Business Mystery #3)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Given Day
  • Anatomy of a Scandal
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Perfect Stranger
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Lying in Wait
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
  • Poppet
  • Mine
  • Ritual: A Novel
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • Hanging Hill: A Novel
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)