Start by marking “Inherit the Flame (Scorched Continent, #3)” as Want to Read:
Inherit the Flame (Scorched Continent, #3)

Inherit the Flame

(Scorched Continent #3)

After Detan retrieves the renowned engineer Nouli from the clutches of the empire, he returns his aunt’s city to find it under siege by Thratia’s army. With Nouli’s help, they turn back the tide – ­until imperial forces show up, prepared to hammer Thratia’s army against the anvil of the city’s walls. Worse yet, the imperial advance is aided by an elite force of deviant mag ...more
Published April 4th 2017 by Angry Robot

To ask other readers questions about Inherit the Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inherit the Flame

Start your review of Inherit the Flame (Scorched Continent, #3)
Althea Ann
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed both "Steal the Sky" and "Break the Chains." "Inherit the Flame" did not disappoint, as it continues in the same vein as its predecessors with an action-filled, entertaining continuation of the story.

I appreciated Detan's growth into responsibility - and liked that it didn't come easily (or completely). Here, he's trying to be a double agent - and to gain control over is potentially-deadly abilities. His schemes end up with him arriving back at his homestead, Hond Steading,
Beth Cato
Apr 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
O'Keefe deftly handles a broad cast of characters to bring her trilogy to an action-packed close. As the saying goes, you can never return home... but in Detan's case, he never planned to return, and certainly not betrothed to one of his worst enemies--with the other enemies also planning to attend the not-so-blessed day. It's a great twist on the trope of 'saving the bride,' as everyone scrambled to save Detan and save the city from multiple dangers--including Detan himself, as he struggles to ...more
John McDermott
An enjoyable ending to what's been an entertaining trilogy. Good characters and great world building with some violence ; this is more of a caper/ adventure and a world away from my usual grimdark choice of fantasy. I'd recommend all Fantasy fans to give this trilogy a go.Megan O'Keefe shows great promise as a writer and I look forward to her next book : Velocity Weapon.
3.75 stars.
Linda Robinson
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
No. 3 in the Scorched Continent series, and I had to buy it because I could not wait for our library system to acquire it. Chapter 1 begins with Detan Honding strung up in a hood at the mercy of Aella and her spearhand Misol, bleeding body fluids into the dust, and still flipping his sarcastic jibe at the walls. Ripka, Tibs, New Chum and Honey are in Hond Steading, trying to sort out what the minions of Thratia are up to next. Pelkaia is alienating Coss and the rest of her deviant crew, who disa ...more
Koeur
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Publisher: Angry Robot

Publishing Date: April 2017

ISBN: 9780857664976

Genre: Fantasy

Rating: 2.4/5

Publishers Description: After Detan retrieves the renowned engineer Nouli from the clutches of the empire, he returns his aunt’s city to find it under siege by Thratia’s army. With Nouli’s help, they turn back the tide – ­until imperial forces show up, prepared to hammer Thratia’s army against the anvil of the city’s walls. Worse yet, the imperial advance is aide
Groucho42
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting world developed but the conclusion of the trilogy (I hate trilogies) is fairly standard while leaving room for another set of books.

Detan captured and tortured/trained by bad guys Aella and Thratia while the rest of the team are in Honding Steading doing the usual, adventurous, things.
Chris
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
*copy from Netgalley in exchange for a reivew*

Inherit the Flame is the third and final volume in Megan O’Keefe’s ‘Scorched Continent’ trilogy.
The first two books were a buccaneering adventure, with airships, magic banter, and even some personal growth. They were a lot of fun to read, so I came into this conclusive part of the trilogy hoping that it was going to pay off.

The centre of the text is Hond Steading, the home of the charming and at least modestly tormented Detan, one of the main cast of
Alysa H.
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
The best of the trilogy. Looking back at my reviews of Steal the Sky and Break the Chains, I realize anew that I tend to be a bit hard on these books. But I consider it a form of tough love: I love this series, want it to be all that is can be, and have developed high expectations from Megan E. O'Keefe.

Inherit the Flame is a fine conclusion, wrapping up pretty much all of the threads introduced previously, and certainly giving a lot of character development (for the most part: Pelkaia is curious
Jess Crafts
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was so excited to read this book but at the same time sad because this is the last book in the scorched continent trilogy. There’s always a bit of anxiety for me when it comes to reading the last book in a series that I’ve absolutely loved. You are always hoping that it will do the series justice and end well. I’m sad that it is over but this is the ending that the series deserved.

The brilliant characters, witty banter and high stakes were all there and I am so glad this was up to the standar
Bridgett Brown
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway.
pretty good steampunk series. It has airships and magic. This is the 3rd book, you really need to read the first 2 books. Detan is back and even more lost than before. just grab this series if you like steampunk adventures.
Netti
Fantasy, first published 2017

The third book in a trilogy is a daunting, exhilarating task to undertake, ...

Yes. Obviously.

Leider lässt die Qualität der vielversprechend begonnenen Serie "Scorched Continent" weiter nach. Wie schon im 2. Band, so stört den Lesefluss auch hier das ständige Hin- und Herspringen zwischen verschiedenen Orten und Personen in sehr kurzen Kapiteln. Die anfangs vielversprechende Gestaltung einer Fantasiewelt wurde seit dem ersten Buch nicht mehr weiter ausgebaut. OK, es
Daniel
Jun 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
This review originally published in Looking For a Good Book. Rated 3.0 of 5

I haven't been particularly enamored with the first two books in the 'Scorched Continent' series by Megan O'Keefe but I had already requested and received this third book in the series before I had gotten through the previous books or I likely wouldn't have put in the request. However, this volume rises up just enough to make it worth the read.

Lovable rogue Detan Honding has successfully retrieved Nouli from the clutches
Sara Hollingsworth
This was an alright ending to the trilogy. There were things I loved like Detan's growth from the first book through this one. But other things bothered me. Mostly the plot pace. This had an elaborate and tricky plan like the previous books, but, well, it just all fell fairly flat. I felt like there was a lot that happened that was just filler. I had this weird feeling that nothing was happening even though a ton was happening, you know?

Overall, I was satisfied but I didn't love it like the pre
Miriam
The third book in this adventure is as convoluted as the other two. There's torture, a conspiracy, some rescues, and political intrigue in the Hond Steading. The characters are difficult to differentiate as their names sound similar.

The audio performance is okay. Frangione's reading is very dramatic.

Look for a different review at AudioFile Magazine http://www.audiofilemagazine.com
John
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book continues on as the other's in the series has. It recovers from the ending of the last book the best it can, and over all i like the ending and saw it as fairly fitting. It wasn't the best nor exactly what i was hoping for, but i did enjoy it.
Dave
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
The story seemed a bit slow at the start but that may be because I didn't read the first two books in the series (bad reader!). Soon the action picked up but I didn't quite believe the resolution scenario - poison in the drinks... really? Who wouldn't think of that?
Darin
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Once again, ruined by profanity. Great story, just unnecessary foul language.
Mats Berglund
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Satisfying conclusion to the story.
Nicole
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Originally reviewed at Thoughts Stained With Ink:

Holy shit.

I don’t think I’m going to do this book review justice, because…wow. Talk about a way to end a trilogy.

I’m actually at a loss from words, here. To the point that, I’m not exactly sure what to even talk about, this book was that good. Should I mention that I read it in a span of, what, three days? Two days? That the plot took twists and turns that I absolutely did not see coming, yet were the epitome of brilliance? Should I discuss how ut
Jay Quietnight
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
O’Keefe does a fantastic job of creating a complex political society that has no easy answers to its problems. War is imminent and it is up to a small band of friends to make difficult decisions that may tear their group apart.
Lillie
Sep 03, 2017
rozzzly
Jan 01, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• C.A.E.C.O. (Demon Accords, #15)
  • Blood Circus: Junkyard Druid Novellas (Colin McCool #4.5)
  • Super Sales on Super Heroes 3 (Super Sales on Super Heroes, #3)
  • One Good Dragon Deserves Another (Heartstrikers, #2)
  • No Good Dragon Goes Unpunished (Heartstrikers, #3)
  • Druid Enforcer (Colin McCool #6)
  • Druid Justice (Colin McCool #5)
  • Into the Labyrinth (Mage Errant #1)
  • Druid Vengeance (Colin McCool #7)
  • Raven Stratagem (The Machineries of Empire, #2)
  • Nice Dragons Finish Last (Heartstrikers, #1)
  • Jewel of the Endless Erg (Mage Errant #2)
  • Druid's Due (Colin McCool, #8)
  • Druid Apprentice (Colin McCool #9)
  • Super Sales on Super Heroes (Super Sales on Super Heroes, #1)
  • Age of Legend (The Legends of the First Empire, #4)
  • Demon Divine (Demon Accords, #14)
  • Super Sales on Super Heroes 2 (Super Sales on Super Heroes, #2)
Megan E. O'Keefe was raised amongst journalists, and as soon as she was able joined them by crafting a newsletter which chronicled the daily adventures of the local cat population. She has worked in both arts management and graphic design, and spends her free time tinkering with anything she can get her hands on.

Megan lives in the Bay Area of California. She's won the Gemmell Morningstar Award for

Scorched Continent (3 books)
  • Steal the Sky (Scorched Continent, #1)
  • Break the Chains (Scorched Continent, #2)