Start by marking “Leaving is My Colour” as Want to Read:
Leaving is My Colour

Leaving is My Colour

A brilliant, blackly comic novel about one young woman’s disintegrating family, her breakdown and ultimate recovery.

“I hadn’t spoken to Mother in years. Not since she tried to poison my father with lawn fertilizer. She thought he was sleeping with another woman. Because he didn’t die, he was able to explain to her that he was actually sleeping with another man.”

Set in the
Published February 16th 2017 by Freight Books

To ask other readers questions about Leaving is My Colour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leaving is My Colour

Start your review of Leaving is My Colour
Irene
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rachel grew up in a dysfunctional family of what she thought was modest means until the day her father decided to announce they were rich. She was in and out of counseling sessions from the time she was a child when her hateful sister Julie claimed she was sexually active just for spite. Through drug addiction, rehab, and several failed marriages she never forgot about her first childhood sweetheart Jack, but it's a hard lesson to learn that letting go of the past is the only way to find our ...more
✟Roxanne✟(Death by Book Avalanche) ☠
'I'm not looking for ecstasy at the foot of an altar or some cataclysmic, earth-shattering experience. All I want is to be enough for one person. For just one person to love me best. I want for one person to like me enough not to want to put his dick into another person'.

4.5 'Dysfunctional' stars

This book appealed to my dark sense of humour so much. Rachel is smart, witty and very funny, she is lost, dysfunctional and a little bit crazy. I liked her a lot.
After her family becomes very wealthy,
Beth Castrodale
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wickedly funny exploration of lost love and family dysfunction. The novel offers a nice balance between the light and dark, never quite letting go of hope. And while the comic elements offer relief—and insight—they don’t distance us unduly from the main character and her struggles. For a full review, see http://smallpresspicks.com/leaving-is....
Liz
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such an easy book to read. It just flowed from one edgy, disaster-prone situation to another. Rachel is such a complex person ... I enjoyed her, worried about her, got frustrated with her, loved her. Full of humor, sarcasm and pathos, it was a delight. And I liked the ending. I hope we see more from this author.
I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway for this honest review.
Dave Wisker
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reading a book like Amy Burn's novel, "Leaving is My Colour", is like watching a skilled juggler keep numerous balls in the air. One marvels not only how many balls the juggler can manage, but also how long she can keep them up. Burns keeps a lot of facets of Rachel Bennett's life aloft at once: drug addiction and rehabilitation, dysfunctional family, multiple marriages, unrequited love, and caring friends; all serious subjects, but Burns infuses all of them with a pervasive, charming wit. They ...more
laraine Stewart
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a really funny book. Rachel, bless her heart, is a lovable mess. I couldn't help but keep reading just to see what she would get into next. There is more to it than meets the eye. Her family isn't close and it seems like they're awful to each other but, it really is a real-life-glimpse at how we can hurt the ones we love most. I cheered at the ending and loved all the characters, despite their faults - especially her fantastic mother and father!
Laura Gillespie
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dark and unconventional, but so funny - in a first world tragic kind of way.
Maureen Vincent-Northam
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A roller coaster ride of droll wit, and often laugh out loud one-liners, Leaving is My Colour puts us inside the head of four-times-married and love-starved Rachel. From her defective and wealthy family to Jack, her first love, and her drug rehabilitation and therapy sessions, she tells us about the absurdity of her life with no holds barred.

Rachel dips into significant episodes from her past and gradually we build a picture of this complex young woman, and learn of what she’s wanted all along.
Nicki Taylor
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! The narrator, Rachel, takes us on a tartly funny journey through her life, in which she has lurched from one bad decision to another, barely stopping to pause for breath. 'Halloween, 1969. I was born. My three-year-old sister wasn't happy. Julie had asked for a puppy and they brought me home instead.' It's all downhill from there, as Rachel wisecracks her way through disappointments, many self inflicted. Often laugh-out-loud funny, Amy Burns has the word skills and timing of a stand-up ...more
Ailsa Crum
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is fun and cleverly written - you'll want to read it all in a thoroughly enjoyable single sitting. It reminded me a little of The First Bad Man by Miranda July but Burns allows her readers to enjoy the tale in seemingly effortless style. Definitely recommend!
Emma
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-it
The good stuff: I loved the narrative style. I enjoyed the way time folded and rewound, skipping forward and starting again. I loved the retelling of the therapy sessions, which revealed so much in so few words. The author's imagination provides fascinating minor characters and interesting details. The main character herself is neither grotesque nor lovable, vilified nor romanticised. I enjoyed that. It felt interesting and real.

BUT

The bad stuff: At its heart this story is about a woman whose
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book just wasn't for me. The characters aren't very likable, the storyline isn't old chronologically and the flashbacks are just randomly sprinkled in. In contrast to some of the other reviewers I also didn't think that it was particularly funny.
Sarah Alexander
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable & quick read. A lot of funny one liners. The characters are real - in other words, not perfect & likable & unlikeable at times.
Veronica Smyth
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
From Netgalley: This book painted the picture of a woman struggling with psychotic breaks, addictions, lose of a loved one, low self-esteem, I enjoyed reading it from a psychological perspective and how the author portrayed the characters struggles in life. It helps open ones eyes to see that everyone has struggles and that the answer often comes from within..
Jodi
Claire Wisker
Mar 12, 2017
Scott Umphrey
Mar 13, 2017
Amy Burns was born in Birmingham, Alabama and spent much of the last decade living in the United Kingdom. She now divides her time between Alabama and Texas. She studied English and Philosophy at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, has a Ph.D. in Creative Writing from the University of Glasgow, and has served as Managing Editor for Unbound Press, Spilling Ink Review and Mulberry Fork Review ...more