Start by marking “The Essays of Warren Buffett: Lessons for Corporate America” as Want to Read:
The Essays of Warren Buffett: Lessons for Corporate America

The Essays of Warren Buffett: Lessons for Corporate America

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  3,878 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
The extensive additional content in this second edition underscores topics of vital national or international significance. Some topics have been addressed in letters contained in previous editions by adding important new insights on recent developments; most consider subjects not previously addressed in the first edition. Topic highlights are the following:

the passion f
Paperback, Second Edition, 289 pages
Published April 1st 2008 by Carolina Academic Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Essays of Warren Buffett, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essays of Warren Buffett

Robert
Dec 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Cunningham organizes the essays within seven sections between Buffett's Prologue (Pages 27-28) and his Epilogue (Pages 273-282):

I Corporate Governance
II Corporate Finance and Investing
III Alternatives to Common Stock
IV Common Stock
V Mergers and Acquisitions
VI Accounting and Valuation
VII Accounting Policy and Tax Matters

As Buffett explains in his Prologue, members of Berkshire Hathaway's shareholder group receive communications directly "from the fellow you are paying to run the business.
Asif
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another masterpiece. There are some books of 200 pages that take me more time to read than books of 400 pages. I read and then re-read every line to ensure that I don't miss one single insight. The book more than lived up to its promise. I recommend any investor, analyst and particularly accounting professionals to read it.
Ravi Dawar
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really not sure how I missed reading this book for so long. But they say better late than ever.
Constantin Minov
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a child Buffet was obsessed with entrepreneurship. Only by desiring riches with a state of mind that becomes an obsession will bring riches. Obsession makes it more likely for you to stick to your plans with persistence but probably only few investors will devote their lives to their investment like Buffet did. From this book you will take away many lessons on investment from Warren Buffet which guided him in becoming the most glorified and respected investor of all times. This book also desc ...more
Kevin Manriquez
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buffett establish that investors should go for good business rather than focusing on the market, buy at good prices and keeping them for long term, which actually is what Warren has done during his management in Berkshire. Buffett sent letters to the members of Berkshire shareholders in order to explain them what he is doing and why they are in for. He uses the letters to explain complex concepts to be easily understood and with some peculiar humor and a lot of wisdom.

It is, in my opinion, the f
Uday Sikand
Aug 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Oracle at his brilliant best. A must for anyone interested in investing
Vilmantas
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reflects philosophy and strategy of W. Buffett and C. Munger. Useful.
Kristinn Hróbjartsson
Insightful and entertaining

As expected, Buffett's writing is insightful, Interesting and inspiring. He has firm views and the record to back it up. The book beautifully arranges topics from various letters into chapters which in my view is a great way to experience Buffett's writing.
Jacob
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
If, when I bring up that this is a "greatest hits" of excerpts from Berkshire Hathaway annual reports written by Warren Buffet, you are already wishing you clicked away from this to anywhere else on the Internet -- ANYWHERE, PLEASE -- then mentioning that Buffet is actually not too hard to read won't help much. Nevertheless, Buffet states and re-states his principles clearly and succinctly and often provides amusing anecdotes or related jokes, and if you're at all interested in how businesses sh ...more
Daniel Olshansky
It is difficult to judge this as a book, because it really is just a collection of Warren Buffet's letters to the shareholders. There is a very nice introduction that sums up Buffet's views, and is great for people who have not been exposed to, or are not very familiar with value investing.

The books lacks flow, with the order that the letters are listed in sometime jumping back and forth by a decade and two without preparing the reader to make the appropriate context switch. Since these are lett
Brady Bunte
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great, well organized compilation of Mr. Buffett's famous "Letters to Shareholders" which appear in the annual reports of Berkshire Hathaway.
It has been recently updated to include the letters to shareholders written since the book was first released in 1996, a new introduction has been written, and a new, tougher, blue cover has been added. Mr. Buffett advised shareholders at the 1999 & 2000 Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting if he had to pick a single book describing his meth
S
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finance, investing
My expectation before I started reading this book (as with books of this nature) was to understand how Buffett pins down a purchase.
- How does he think company A is better than company B, even if both are in similar business
- How does he arrive at a measure of intrinsic value
- How does he estimate the 'margin of safety'
('How does he exit' is probably not such a great question because Berkshire Hathway's fav holding period is 'Forever')

What I would say is rather than give exact answers, Buffett
B
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I thought this was all pretty good.

It's a strange compilation. Different sections from different reports in different years are arranged by topic. So, as business conditions change, the details of the advice changed. The fundamentals are always the same: Owning a business is good if the business is good and never invest because you think the price will go up rather than because the business is good.

Buffett is often funny (although some of his jokes are a little dated such that they're much less
Hariharan Ragunathan
I was searching for the hardcopy book of Buffet's letters to the shareholders, and landed with this book in library. But this is a good summary from all those letters organised like your corporate finance chapters. I should have read this book along with my Corporate Finance course text book during my course. This is just pure rational thought process of buffet, (even if he does not follow all those mentioned for the criticisms against him) gave a better idea of various concepts of running , own ...more
Karan Goel
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: money, economics
I thought this "book" was more direct advice on investing and personal finance. Through reading this book, I found out that it's about:

- High volume investing
- Operating a (public) business

But what I loved about the book is that it's not direct. Warren won't tell you how to be rich. He just lays out his philosophy and thinking about money, businesses and people.

I think it's not a very useful information for people looking to make small trades in the market, but a gold mine for those going in the
Yoo Jin
Slightly difficult to read through but with a little extra determination, I was able to finish this timeless collection of essays that helped me gain essential insights with real-life and straight forward examples. Great insight into Buffet's view on business valuation, capital structuring and importance and role of management in corporations. It's a book i'll most likely return to again from time to time!
Suman
Jul 20, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in investing
This is an excellent book on how business should be run. Larry Cunningham does an excellent job rearranging Buffett's expositions in his annual report to show Buffett's approach on investing and life. In a world where Wall Street looks for short-term gains at all cost, Buffett stands out in making sure that his investing world is as equitable as possible. This book should be read by anyone interested in investing
Pat Murphy
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These were mostly letters to buffett's share holders. There is humor, and good naturedness. Some common sense investing knowlege. Of course he is a master. I don't know if I would read this knowing what I know now. But I am not discouraging others from it. It has some worth for anyone wanting to read what Buffett has to say in any case.
Kurt Christensen
One of those rare books on business and leadership that both entertains and enlightens. Deftly edited, the book consists of excerpts from the Berkshire Hathaway annual shareholder letters, organized by theme to reveal the larger philosophies of Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger that have led to Berkshire's unparalleled success. It might be the only business text you'll ever need.
Harold Zable
It's got some interesting points, and it taught me some stuff about businesses. But it's terribly repetitive. The main points could probably have been expressed in a ten-page essay instead of a 230-page book. I sympathize with the business students who have to use it as a textbook.
Markes Gonzalez
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger are geniuses. Inspired by Ben Graham.
Valerie
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good...but this was a bit beyond my knowledge. I am the average joe, so this was a bit beyond me. Interesting, what I did understand.
Kirill
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Отличная книга про долгосрочные инвестиции.
Ethan Weber
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book to graze and read one at a time.

The essays pull you in, and provide excellent frameworks for looking at various business activities.
Kate
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bought BKRB shares before I even finished reading. So good.
Syed Wasim
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: investment
Nice book explained the way warren looks at business
pavana Kumar Varanasi
A very good book which rearranged all buffet letters from 1976 in an orderly fashion topic wise. The letters can be downloaded free of cost from Berkshire web site. So it depends.
Gene Panasenko
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very impressing!

Gene Panasenko
Michael
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: money-business
They don't call Buffett the Oracle of Omaha for nothing, and you'll find many reasons why in this compendium. Few writers translate complex concepts into memorable examples so well.
Zohreh
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 2 15 Dec 15, 2015 10:29AM
  • Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits and Other Writings
  • Margin of Safety: Risk-Averse Value Investing Strategies for the Thoughtful Investor
  • The Interpretation of Financial Statements: The Classic 1937 Edition
  • Value Investing: From Graham to Buffett and Beyond
  • Poor Charlie's Almanack: The Wit and Wisdom of Charles T. Munger
  • Stocks for the Long Run
  • Beating the Street
  • Quality of Earnings
  • The Dhandho Investor: The Low-Risk Value Method to High Returns
  • Financial Shenanigans: How to Detect Accounting Gimmicks & Fraud in Financial Reports
  • You Can Be a Stock Market Genius: Uncover the Secret Hiding Places of Stock Market Profits
  • The Clash of the Cultures: Investment vs. Speculation
  • Buffett: The Making of an American Capitalist
  • The Little Book of Behavioral Investing: How Not to Be Your Own Worst Enemy
  • The Aggressive Conservative Investor
  • Money Masters of Our Time
  • The Art of Short Selling (A Marketplace Book)
  • The Most Important Thing: Uncommon Sense for the Thoughtful Investor
“A horse that can count to ten is a remarkable horse—not a remarkable mathematician.” 18 likes
“calling someone who trades actively in the market an investor “is like calling someone who repeatedly engages in one-night stands a romantic.” 8 likes