Start by marking “Mad Dogs And An Englishwoman” as Want to Read:
Mad Dogs And An Englishwoman

Mad Dogs And An Englishwoman

In the dead of winter, Polly Evans ventures to the remote Yukon Territory in Canada's far northwest, where temperatures plunge to minus forty and the sun rises for just a few hours each day. Her mission: to learn to drive sled dogs. But when she arrives, she finds there's more to this unspoilt wilderness than deathly cold.

In a pristine landscape patrolled by wolves and car
Published February 11th 2008 by Bantam (first published January 27th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mad Dogs And An Englishwoman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mad Dogs And An Englishwoman

Cid  Stoll
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I've visited Alaska several times, mostly using Fairbanks as my home base and traveling out from there. I've been to several of the places the author describes, and seeing them through her eyes added a depth to them that hadn't been there before. I really enjoyed how she'd weave the history of a place into her current assessment of it. I also enjoyed hearing about the dogs and the process of dog-sledding, although it all sounded so simple, when instinctively we all kn ...more
Christine
May 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
I found this book pretty disappointing. From the title to the cover picture, you expect a read with adventure and exploration, which doesn't really happen. The descriptions of the dogs were the best part of the book- they were cutesy and humorous. However, I found the rest of the book slightly boring and circular. "Polly's" descriptions jump back and forth between the present and history, and it happens so often as to be irritating and makes reading cumbersome.

It was okay, but my time could be b
Michael Seeds
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sled dogs love to run, and nothing could be more beautiful than being alone in a frozen landscape, so dog sledding seems a perfect way to be alone with excited friends. Evans takes us to work feeding dogs and cleaning up after them, training them and, more importantly, training herself to run with a team. We learn about the daily grind of caring for dogs but also about the beauty of the winter landscape deep in snow.
Chaynyth
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I found this to be quite an enjoyable read. The experiences of an Englishwoman who visits the Yukon to learn about sled dogs and the culture around them are interspersed with snippets of history of the region and anecdotes about living in frigid climes. While the narrative isn't scintillating, I found the quiet more meditative prose to be comforting. Definitely something I'd pick up for reading again and having around as a good travelogue style book.
Liz
Dec 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I gave this a higher rating than it probably deserved as I was familiar with the area (Yukon)so it resonated with me.
Polly, the author, spends some months in the Yukon with sled dogs and their owners learning the ropes.
Kelli
Mar 26, 2013 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was informative, interesting and I felt as though I was mushing along with the author. I liked the snippets of history regarding the Yukon region and that it wasn't heavy on facts etc
Carry
May 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This read like something I could have written. It seemed like much of the history she inserted was just copied and pasted from Wikipedia. There wasn't a natural flow and it did not capture my interest at all.
Rachel (Sfogs)
A book that was just a lot of fun!
A down to earth look at dog sleding, adventure, and many beautiful and very mischiefs dogs ;D
Millie
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel-writing
I really enjoyed this book. It was fascinating to read about the winter season in the Yukon, and the work of sled-dogs. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes dogs or snow!
Josie
May 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, let-s-go
Evans is always good for a cheery travelogue, with a heavy dose of trivial history thrown in. This was not my favorite of her adventures, but it was still a fun, light read.
Lori
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
A boring book. Stylistically flat narration dulls the adventure of a British woman and a team of sled dogs in the Yukon.

Rubyryan
Dec 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
What a fun book! I was transported to the icy north and fell in love with the dogs, (which wasn't too difficult for me! : ) )
Barbara
Apr 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
New from Polly! Hooray! Just ordered it and looking forward to this new adventure...
Sheila
Karlyn
Feb 06, 2013
Mandy
Sep 11, 2013 rated it liked it
I'll read more of her travel books. Nice, light, palate cleansing after Khaled Hosseini.
Rebecca