Start by marking “Gale: A Sci-fi Novella” as Want to Read:
Gale: A Sci-fi Novella

Gale: A Sci-fi Novella

Miranda doesn’t want to be different. On Gale, being different can get you killed. When her seizures began, Miranda tried to keep her abnormality secret. But then the visions started—ominous hallucinations of strange lights in the sky, an otherworldly monster with wings like a dragon, and a girl who appeared from the clouds like a bolt of lightning. Despite the ever-presen ...more
Published December 27th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Gale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gale

Start your review of Gale: A Sci-fi Novella
lov2laf

I thought that this was a really cool short story that did a great job of injecting some depth to the characters and building good conflict in the little time it had. The genre is sci-fi dystopian with paranormal and mystery thrown in. The story isn't a romance but Miranda does connect to another female character in a way that is open to an f/f relationship interpretation (which was my preference).

I picked this up for $0.99 and it was worth it.

Definitely recommend.
RoAnna Sylver
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews, gems
“And this time, when the “dragon” opened its jaws, I would run into the light with joy in my heart.”

* * *

Short but super-effective and memorable new queer-dystopian twist on an old story. I've read Lyssa's other series starting with Fourth World, and my favorite part there is the worldbuilding and how well the crafted settings instill a slow-building feeling of ominous wrongness. The same thing happens here, though it's a lot more fast-building given the short-story quickness. The intensity is t
Alex
I loved this! All my knowledge of The Tempest comes from a summary, but even then it was fun to compare the slightly-changed (usually shortened) names in this story with the original ones in the play.

Gale is also just a really fun story on its own, with loveable characters, discussion about the treatment of disabled or sick people that is just way too real, a discussion of propaganda and the government essentially changing the past, and many others. The only thing that surprised me was that whi
Jonathan Pongratz
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Original Review at Jaunts & Haunts

4.5/5

I gave this novella four and a half stars!

This was my first read by Lyssa Chiavari, and I was very impressed!

Gale: A Sci-fi Novella takes place on a planet called Gale, where the winds are ever blowing. Miranda has only ever known the harsh rule of the Brotherhood on Gale, where being different can get you killed. That's why when she starts having seizure fits and strange visions she and her parents worry for her life.

What do her visions mean? Can she fig
Kiki
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a quick, entertaining, somewhat intense read. Chivari did just enough world building to carry the story, focusing mostly on Miranda's thoughts and experiences in an engrossing first person narrative. I liked that she was allowed to have a powerful magical ability while still managing a chronic condition that wasn't magically cured. The romance is subtly suggested and further reading assures me that this is an asexual couple; I found it very satisfying.

I will try at least one of the full
iam
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great, atmospheric Sci-Fi novella!

I enjoyed reading Gale a lot and would have loved this as a full-length novel, though it works perfectly at the length it has too.

The plot is fast-paced, the mystery sets a time limit, the world-buidling is excellently done with an oppressive regime that eradicates every and all opposition radically, creating a heavy atmosphere with a hopeful ending.

Also, uh, apparently this a retelling of The Tempest. I know absolutely nothing about that, but the stor
Llinos
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, sf-f, ya
This was a really atmospheric and interesting take on The Tempest. The world of Gale felt claustrophobic and the constant paranoid tension of life there came through strongly. An enjoyable quick read!

See the full review at Starship Library.
OldBird
Miranda's been having seizures. She lives on the planetoid Gale, a dystopian world where to need more than basic healthcare is a death-warrant: not because it's impossible to treat conditions but because it's state rationed. She has to keep her condition secret, along with the visions she's been having. They show her strange beings, other worlds... Maybe even glimpses of their sister-world, the great and deadly Orbe that hangs in the sky. And then one day she hears a voice...

I loved the imaginat
Phoebe
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: asexuality
Miranda has no one to trust when she starts to change in a world where change is not allowed.

When Miranda starts having seizures and vivid dreams fear sets in. Gale does not allow people to be different. Being different can get you killed. Her father hopes it will go away. Her mother takes her to a secret friend for a potion. The voice, Ferda, in her head tells her to run. Miranda does not know who to trust. When her friend Ari tries to get her help, he disappears. What is real?

Lyssa Chiavari wr
Louise
Gale is the first time I've seen a retelling of The Tempest. I have to say here -- I've never read/seen The Tempest, so I can't say how well Chiavari kept the spirit, characterisation etc of the original. What I can say, however, is that in a very limited page count, she manages to tell a complete and convincing story which didn't rely on the reader having any knowledge of the original. Which I think is equally important for a retelling.

The world-building is well done and the dystopian world of
Ramisa (sentrancedbookworm) Chowdhury
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

Sci-fi is usually not my thing but I picked up this book on an impulse and I am really surprised that I actually liked it.

The story starts with Miranda having bizarre and unexplainable fits, something she can't speak out loud about fearing that the Brotherhood, the strict governing body of the planet Gale, would take them away. The book is really intriguing and the writer has the ability to keep you hooked. I probably would have loved and rated more if this had been an ac
M
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Maybe home isn't just the place you live. Maybe it's more about the people you care about."

A beautiful retelling of Shakespeare's The Tempest. If you like epic Scifi stories with a side of F/F romance this is perfect for you. It's a quick and engaging read with a nice plot. There is also the fact that the girls meet by talking to each other inside their minds and I love this kind of thing!

Gale is definitely a novella I'll be recommending to more readers.
Joyce Moore
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tanks for this one!

It looks like I’m going back to my sci-fi craving is back. First time reading this author’s books. I have a huge library of books I haven’t read,,,yet. Off to my next adventure.
Charlie
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Great! Far too short! Would love to see more!
Sherry McWilliams
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting story. I found it entertaining.
Lauren
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was ok. I feel like I started in the middle of a series rather than the beginning of a short novella.
Petrina Binney
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great short story. I really enjoyed the style of writing, I enjoyed the story, didn’t want to put it down. I’ll look forward to reading more by this author.
Emma Katherine
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read my full review here: https://lifesanovelty.blogspot.com/20...

Opinions: Once again, I am impressed with Chiavari's writing abilities, but the story itself did not impress me. I wish the author lengthened Gale into a full novel or novella, because there was not enough time to 1) get to know the characters, therefore care whether they survive or not and 2) understand what is going on. We're thrown into the story with information being launched at us on all sides; I feel like Chiavari was given
Natalie Cannon
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A solid sci-fi adaptation of Shakespeare's The Tempest with a f/f romance to boot! Though sometimes it felt like Chiavari was challenging herself to cram a novel's worth of world-building into a novella, the hopeful, lovely ending and DRAGONS DRAGONS DRAGONS IN SPAAAAACE joy boosted my rating up to four stars. I definitely recommend it to sci-fi wlw fans, whether you're familiar with The Tempest or not! ...more
Spira Virgo
Jan 28, 2019
Danielle Rogland
Feb 03, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Warrior's Path (When Women Were Warriors, #1)
  • The Black God's Drums
  • Rippler (Ripple, #1)
  • The Bound (Ascension, #2)
  • The Shadow File (Alex Vane #4)
  • Promise of Darkness (Dark Court Rising, #1)
  • Danger and Desire: A Romantic Suspense Anthology
  • Night with a SEAL (Hot SEALs, #1)
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
  • Oceanside: A Healing Place
  • The Harvest (Eridu Series, #0)
  • Daughter, Avoid Temptation
  • 10 Attractive habits: Or at least I guarantee that you will not get worse
  • The Paradox of Choice: A Short Story (Free Short Story Singles)
  • After Judgement
  • Re/Genesis (Aurora Rhapsody, #6.5)
  • Men Who Wish to Drown
  • The 'Naturals: Awakening [Episodes 1-4 -- Season 1] (Young Adult Serial)
Lyssa Chiavari is an author of speculative fiction for young adults, including Fourth World, the first book in a sci-fi trilogy set on Mars, and Cheerleaders From Planet X, a tongue-in-cheek send-up of all things sci-fi. Her short fiction has appeared in Wings of Renewal: A Solarpunk Dragon Anthology, Brave New Girls: Tales of Heroines Who Hack, Magic at Midnight: A YA Fairytale Anthology and Perc ...more

News & Interviews