Start by marking “This Is Not A Diet Book: A User’s Guide to Eating Well” as Want to Read:
This Is Not A Diet Book: A User’s Guide to Eating Well

This Is Not A Diet Book: A User’s Guide to Eating Well

‘This book can’t give you a six-pack in seven days or the skin of a supermodel. But I can promise that if you make even a few of these adjustments, your eating life will alter for the better in ways that you can sustain.’

This Is Not A Diet Book is a collection of calm, practical tips and ideas on healthier, happier eating from award-winning food writer Bee Wilson.

From un

Published December 29th 2016 by Fourth Estate

To ask other readers questions about This Is Not A Diet Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is Not A Diet Book

Jess Xu
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A perceptive, kind and wise exploration of how and why we eat, with sensible (and friendly) suggestions for change.
Emma
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This is an interesting little book with various tips on how to change your diet, without going on a ‘diet’. For me, the key component of a healthy diet is balance and that is also what this little book prescribes.

Although the tips are helpful, I really missed an explanation or a scientific argument for a lot of them. In a lot of cases, the tip is explained in a single sentence, which is then already followed up by the next tip. With no explanation whatsoever, it makes it harder for me to impleme
Schopflin
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished-in-2018
This is a book to make you feel better about food. The empathy she shows is at least as helpful as the sensible advice. I don't know if I will ever break my portion control problems, and emotional relationship to feeling full, but I know it helps to acknowledge it rather than just feel like a failure.
Flynn
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: digital, food, nonfiction
This and Michael Pollan's "Food Rules" are really good instructional texts for developing a healthier approach to eating.
Justin Drew
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A short book that takes a much better route than just giving healthy recipes to help us all eat better. This book gives ideas on how to cook and how to eat well. Bee Wilsons book 'first bite' is a brilliant, detailed book that looks at how we eat, develop taste preferences which we can change (as can whole countries and gives a very interesting account of Japan and how unhealthy their food was in the 1950s and how that has changed phenomenally, and for the better – it is also mentioned in this b ...more
Marta Kostka
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Rady zacne, mucha nie siada ale gorzej z ich przedstawieniem. Uciekając przed zaszufladkowaniem jako książka odchudzaniu Bee Wilson napisała typową książkę o odchudzaniu. To wygląda trochę jakby wydawca powiedział jej, żeby zebrała wszystkie mądrości i chwytliwe cytaty z „First Bite” (a to są faktycznie celne wskazówki) i opublikowała ponownie w formie nowej książki. Trochę smuteczek bo nadal uważam, że „First Bite” jest jedną z najlepszych opowieści o odżywianiu i kulturze jedzenia.
Mrs
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Disappointing

One third covered feeding children, another chunk had recipes. It was disappointing in scope and a bit superficial as regards to culture and healthy eating. What was relevant was good.
Ayham Abed Al Raheem
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was really disappointed .. The book started great with practical advises and motivation but after that it turned into a boring recipe book and guide to feed children book .. There are not many researches and studies .. instead .. a lot of anecdotes and recipes ...
Liz Cooper
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thoughtful book.
There's lots of ideas, presented in a reasonable manner. The consensus would be to eat well using a wide variety of foods, making meals yourself. Nothing new really but lots of ideas on how to eat better
Rachel Walker
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good, sensible advice on diet and attitude to food. I think we know a lot of this already but it helps having someone put it clearly in writing. The author’s love of food comes across well and is infectious. A few recipes also included. I haven’t tried any yet but they look good.
Nick Harris
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
Don't urge, don't coax, don't force, don't bribe
James Simpson
Miss Judith Smith
rated it it was ok
Mar 01, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Beatrice Dorothy "Bee" Wilson (born 7 March 1974, Oxford) is a British food writer and historian. Wilson is married to the political scientist David Runciman and lives in Cambridge. The daughter of A.N. Wilson and the Shakespearean scholar Katherine Duncan-Jones, her sister is Emily Wilson, a Classicist at the University of Pennsylvania.