Start by marking “Delayed Call (Assassins, #13)” as Want to Read:
Delayed Call (Assassins, #13)

Delayed Call

(Nashville Assassins #13)

Vaughn Johansson is the Nashville Assassins' star player. He's brash, cocky, and talented. And he isn't afraid to let anyone know it. He lives his life on his own terms, never forming romantic attachments, and only allowing his very closest to see his true, caring self.

Published March 20th 2017

To ask other readers questions about Delayed Call, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Delayed Call

Christy
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-four-stars
4 stars!!!

photo D3F55BE7-20DC-41BC-9289-C50DADB14BF1_zpsq6kfxaqe.jpg
There’s a thin line between love and hate…

Delayed Call is the 11th book in the Assassin’s series and it deals with one of my favorite troupes- those enemies to lovers couples! Yes, Vaughn and Brie despise each other. Vaughn is the cocky star of the Assassins, and Brie is their team reporter. They are constantly at each others throats, but it’s apparent they want each other. When they start to get to know each other and realize how much they have in common, their hate turns to tolera
Michelle
ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review

photo 76343348bc9f85ccc1a356713fbc45_zpszadpywpz.gif

Enemies to lovers trope. Ummm, yes please!!!! There was no icing of the puck in this hockey romance as Toni Aleo once again reunites her readers to the cast of the Nashville Assassins. Although Delayed Call is the eleventh installment of the Assassin Series, this book can most definitely be read as a standalone as Toni Aleo does an excellent job introducing and incorporating previous characters.

#DelayedCall

Right off the opening pages, Toni Aleo sto
NiCoLeTa E.
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
***4,5 "JoHo" stars***

God, i did enjoy this book very much!!!!
Especially in the beginning, i was laughing so much with Brie and Vaughn's arguments...

At the same time, the author decided to talk about a very sensitive matter and it was given in a wonderfully way...
A hot, cocky hockey player, a fiesty tiny woman, a relationship full of hate who turned out to the most lovely and funny love....
Add to the mixer, lovely secondary characters, hidden secrets and you have a lovely story!!!!

Vaughn was
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
ARC received for review

Okay. I haven't read the first 10 books in this series. I think I've got several on my kindle but just haven't found the time. This is book is a stand alone and you don't need to read the first ones.

All that being said. I about put it down and walked away. Vaughn and Brie fought every time they were together. It was not nice sniping at each other, but down right mean and ugly at times. I didn't think they were ever going to get over it and hook up. They finally did and st
Mindy Lou's Book Review
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, sports
What I love best about this hockey series is that you don't have to start with book 1 to understand any of the others in the series. I've only read book 8 and 11 and I've had no issues following along with the story. I know that can be a huge draw for people who don't like series. It doesn't mean I won't be going back at some point to read the earlier books, because I find that I am a fan of Toni Aleo's writing.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It's a love/hate trope that had positives and n
~Mandi~
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Delayed Call ( Assassins #11)

This one started off real funny. Vaughn is a hockey player for the Assassins and Brie is the Assassins reporter. They have a total hate relationship for each other. The banter between them is so funny. They both have the wrong impression of each other and both thinks the other is an entitled asshole.
Even though you know Brie and Vaughn are gonna hook up. It takes them forever of fighting their attraction to finally do something about it. But when they do, it's hot a
Jemy Leo
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I am half way through the book, I am so frustrated I just want to rant.

OMG the heroine is SOOOO annoying.

The book has a promising start. We know the hero and heroine from the previous book. The heroine, Brie is the sport reporter of the team, while the hero, Vaughn is the douche hockey player who always gives her a hard time. At first, everything seems fine. Vaughn is his usual jerky charming self with an unexpected soft side. We learn from the previous book that Brie is working hard to provid
Lea ★
ARC kindly provided by Ardent Prose.

Review to come...
✿kawehi.reviews
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
It was pretty interesting and comical to see for once, two character's of Toni Aleo's not being gaga over each other first and irking the other like none other. Haha. While it's hardly a revelation for me, as I'm seen this is in many sports romances I've come across, there was still something fresh and compelling about these characters indivdually, their dual rapport, and the nostalgia I always get when I come back to my Assassins family. There's nothing that can beat them for me.

Looovved this!
Chelle
For me this series has lost some its sparkle in recent books, the decline probably began with Jordy's book. I was hoping this would pick it up, not really.

I particularly liked him. And the extended story around her brother was interesting and well done. I liked that a lot.

However, I thought her focus on someone agreeing that they loved her within such a short time just didn't fit with the rest of her persona and tbh it was idiotic. Let the guy fall for you, give him a chance FFS! Fine if you've
Lu Bielefeld *read.laugh.love*
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
ARC received via Netgalley to honest review
---------
Review in Portuguese and English
---------
Eu acompanho a série desde o início e fiquei intrigada sobre a história do casal. A interação entre os dois no livro anterior foi uma preliminar do que aconteceria neste livro.
Os heróis tem uma face que eles mostram para o mundo e outra bem diferente só vista pelas pessoas que eles amam e causas que eles se dedicam e que eles realmente se importam.
Nem sempre as coisas são o que parecem ser. Confesso que
Lynn Lim
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
OMG – NEVER, EVER, HAVE I WANTED TO SMACK A HERO SO BAD IN MY LIFE!!!!!
I LOVED absolutely every emotional word in this book, and I have found a new author, to me anyway, in Toni Aleo, to love!!! I could not put Delayed Call down. I kept waiting for the train wreck between Vaughn and Brie to happen. Then when Brie finally told Vaughn that she loved him and……. Stop!!! NO SPOILERS!! Let me just say this, my heart was in my throat and the tears were flowing. Then that last interview… WOW!!! Then, th
Rachel K
Apr 03, 2017 rated it liked it
2.75 stars.

Just okay.
Cocktails and Books
It pains me to rate this book a three. I like it, but I didn't love the book. I had a hard to understanding the characters, especially when their banter was more high schoolish than any banter I would see as foreplay in thirty-year-old adults.

Full review to come.
Tpagirl
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delayed Call was the eleventh book in the Assassins series by Toni Aleo revolving around the Nashville NHL team.

Vaughn Johansson was the star forward with the killer wrister. He was gorgeous, the jokester and never took anything seriously. Yet, we found that he also had a heart of gold but he came with a ton of baggage.

Brie Soledad was the beautiful Assassins reporter that got under Vaughn's skin. Or was it that Vaughn got under Brie's skin...yea that too and they fought like cats and dogs.

True
Kim
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-5-stars

Vaughn Johansson and Brie Soledad...we got a taste of them in Face-Off at the Altar. He is a cocky, outspoken, star player for the Nashville Assassins and she is their very attractive staff reporter.

The thin line between love and hate is barely visible with these two. Well, they do love to hate each other...and challenge and torture each other. And that just riles them up and gets them hot and bothered. And they hate having that strong reaction to each other. She thinks he's an a**. He
Heroesinbooks
3.5-4 Vaughn and Brie Stars

This is quite a pivotal book in the Assassins series because we are introduced to several new key characters. Vaughn Johansson is mentioned briefly in earlier books but he is centre stage in this along with his best friends Jensen (the new goalie for the Team), Wells (plays elsewhere) and Wells' sister Wren (Team therapist). Our heroine is Brianna (Brie) Soledad , Team reporter.

I still feel a bit mixed about these two as a couple. Some aspects of their relationship I
Rejane
Nov 05, 2018 marked it as not-interested
How cute!! NOT. Mcs in their 30’s acting like 5th graders. And the heroine is worse. She “said” she cared for her brother but she “showed” she didn’t.
What a pity. I used to like this author’s books but reading reviews for her books is being a huge disappointment. It seems she’s getting her inspiration in middle schoolers. Not cool

Nancy The book junkie
Rating: 4.5/5

Review to come!
Heather
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
My rating scale:
5☆ - I loved this book and it brought out true emotion in me (laughter, anger, a good cry, etc)
4☆ - I loved this book.
3☆ - I liked this book.
2☆ - I didn't really care for this book.
1☆ - I did not like this book at all and probably did not finish it.
Sandy S
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars--

ABOUT THE BOOK: Release Date March 20, 2017

Brie Soledad has the weight of the world on her shoulders. As the staff reporter for the Assassins, she balances her high-profile job and its heavy travel schedule with being
Rachel
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it

Vaughn Johansson and Brie Soledad clash often in their on screen interviews. Brie is the team reporter and regularly interviews the players during and after games, but something about Vaughn always makes her react poorly, even with the cameras rolling. Vaughn is easily annoyed by the questions he is asked during interviews and isn’t happy that Brie isn’t falling at his feet like other women.

Their antagonistic banter during interviews and off camera hid the attraction that was stirring
Diane Lynch
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delayed Call (Assassins #11) by Toni Aleo Toni Aleo is on a winning streak with DELAYED CALL, the eleventh book in the Assassins series.  NHL star, Vaughn Johansson and Assassins' staff reporter, Brie Soledad, would both agree that they are each other’s nemesis, but situations arise that cause them to have to play nice.  This contemporary sports romance is suitable for adult audiences.  It takes place in Nashville, Tennessee.

I have been looking forward to hearing Vaughn’s and Brie’s story since
Diane Lynch
Shelves: hockey-romance, ebook
Toni Aleo is on a winning streak with DELAYED CALL, the eleventh book in the Assassins series. NHL star, Vaughn Johansson and Assassins' staff reporter, Brie Soledad, would both agree that they are each other’s nemesis, but situations arise that cause them to have to play nice. This contemporary sports romance is suitable for adult audiences. It takes place in Nashville, Tennessee.

I have been looking forward to hearing Vaughn’s and Brie’s story since the previous book. I love the banter of thei
Fredrika
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Eleanor
5 NateWay Stars on Goodreads

Brie and Vaughn are enemies for some reason both hate each other with a passion! Vaughn doesn't know what he's done for Brie to hate him. She thinks he's cocky and full of himself. He thinks she's a stuck up snob! They both realise how wrong they are

"Whatever I still don't like you.
He laughed at that as he stood up with ease,
Looking down to her.
"Well, I like you just fine, Ms. Soledad."

Toni did not disappoint with Delayed Call, this is one hot, sexy, smouldering and
Shanda
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I do like a good love/hate story. This is book 11 in the Assassins series and I really liked it. Brie is the Assassins reporter. Vaughn is basically the spokesman for the team after every game. These two rub each other the wrong way and their interviews always take a turn for the worse.

These two had great banter. Of course they were silly and immature but it was still funny. After Brie moves in across the hall from Vaughn things get even messier. But Brie has a lot going on in her personal life.
Margie
Awesome banter in this one! Did not expect it to last through the whole entire book but it truly did. There were times I wanted to punch Vaughn, but honestly this story was so good, I kind of overlooked his stupidity over how he felt sometimes...
Logan Hr
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I never thought I would say I have a new favorite couple on the assassins because I'm team Tate, but after careful consideration I have to say I'm team Vaughn and Brie! I loved this book to no end! The sweetness of Brie and the cockiness of Vaughn add a spark that is light up until the very end of the book! I also loved the fact that the story included what living with someone with a disability entails and what family and good friends are capable of doing! I loved the hockey parts too because th ...more
Jill M
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hot-athletes
I can’t believe this is the 11th Assassins book. It seems so long ago I was picking up the first book and I was meeting Shea Adler. We see a lot of the Adler’s in this story and it just adds to the story.

Vaughn and Brie are like oil and water. On the outside they seem to hate each other but I felt like it was more a love/hate relationship with a slow act of foreplay. Once they start to really delve into the other’s life they seem to mesh perfectly. They are made for each other even if it takes a
Kayla Ritenour (In Between The pages)
So want to know when I got this beauty in my hands???
Yeah like around 10AM yesterday...
Want to know when I started reading it??
Yeah at like 1AM last night...
Want to know when I finished it???
Yup!!!! At like 10AM this morning...
Want to know how??
I GOT NO SLEEP AT ALL
Kaylee Torres
Mar 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
I'm sorry am I the only one that was so annoyed with Brie I'm only 17% In and I want to punch her.
Garden Of REden
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
REVIEWED BY JENN

Toni Aleo called Vaughn and Brie one of her favorite couples and books.... right up there with Shea and Ellie. I scoffed. Impossible! Shea and Ellie are the golden couple. The glue that holds the Assassins together. No one could even come close to touching them. In fact, I was insulted that Aleo even suggested it.

I was wrong.

I wasn't sure what to expect from Vaughn and Brie. I love a good hate-to-love story, but the way the two of them went at it in the previous book, Face-Off at
Renee Entress
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

The story has laughs, steam, secrets, hockey fun, and heartbreak.

If you have not read the below I would recommend reading those books(s) first
Taking Shots (Assassins, #1)
Trying to Score (Assassins, #2)
Empty Net (Assassins, #3)
Falling for the Backup (Assassins, #3.5)
Falling for the Backup Epilogue (Assassins, #3.6)
4 & Counting (Assassins, #3.7)
Blue Lines (Assassins, #4)
Breaking Away (Assassins, #5)
Tangled in the Laces (Assassins, #5.5)
Laces and Lace (Assassins, #6)
A Very Merry Hockey
Rock Hard Romance
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, favorites
*Arc received
'He was the downright biggest A****** she had ever met,and she did not like him.....'(Brie)

So with this the 11th in the Assassins series (a favorite of mine for some time) we are focused on Assassin player Vaughn Johansson, and team reporter Brianna(Brie) Soledad. From previous in this series,we have seen interactions of these two,often bickering,winding each other up,all the while oblivious to the obvious to everyone else-the attraction that simmers away underneath all the verbal
Helen (Blissfully Bookish Besties)
Delayed Call is the eleventh book in the Assassins series, and Vaughn Johansson and Brie Soledad's story. I've been following this series from the beginning and it just gets better and better!

Vaughn is the Nashville Assassin's star player, he acts cocky and full of himself but he has a heart of gold. Brie is the team reporter, balancing her job with providing for her adult brother who has Down Syndrome, she refuses to be impressed by Vaughn. Sparks fly between these two and as they get to know e
MillsyLovesBooks
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
 photo 5 stars_zpsrhx8fzgf.png

I have so been looking forward to this book and Toni Aleo you have not disappointed. With the brief show we got of Vaughn and Brie's connection in Face-Off At The Altar i knew we were in for a sparks flying read and boy was it.

Both Vaughn and Brie are feisty, funny, angsty, passionate, emotional, and heartfelt. This is a fantastic enemies-to-lovers story and i couldn't put it down.

"Strength is what we gain from the madness we survive."

I really enjoy how Toni Aleo writes it's real the way her ch
Sarah Wayne
When I requested this book, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Not only has it earned 5 solid stars, but also added a new automatic buy name to my must read authors list. Delayed Call is the first book I've read by Toni Aleo and even though it was the 11th book in her Assassin's series it was easily read as a stand-alone novel but also gave insight into other characters, who all were amazing. Cool thing about discovering this author now is that there are a ton of other books I get to ...more
Annie
Insomnia Inducing

I’m functioning on minimal sleep today and Delayed Call is to blame. I absolutely ate up this book. The characters were likable- entertaining and lively. The story was comfortable but with enough deviations from stereotypical plot points to avoid monotony, and I laughed. I laughed so much.

Delayed Call is the 11th book in Aleo’s Assassins series but can be read as a standalone. I’ve only read one novel and a short by the author and I had no trouble following along with the chara
JoAnna G
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**4.5 Stars**

I love this author. I love reading about hockey. She has never, not once let me down. I never thought I could read a book in her Assassins series and love it more than Shea and Ellie’s book, until now. It was spot on. The writing, the people, the energy, just everything. We do still get our famous first couple, not only that we get so much more. I can truly tell she is a girl after my own heart and loves the game of hockey. I loved the detailed writing about the game. I felt like I
Rebecca
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
“Strength is what we gain from the madness we survive.”

No truer words spoken could depict the main characters’ methods of survival in Toni Aleo’s newest Assassins’ release, Delayed Call. Brie Soledad and Vaughn Johansson have dealt with and endured life altering events that have shaped who they are and how they live their life, and while those trials have scarred them and changed how they view relationships and love, it’s clear that both have the propensity to give their heart to one who deserve
Love N. Books
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pet’s $0.02

YES! I cannot tell you how happy this book makes me.

Toni Aleo and the Assassins have returned and I’m so damn excited. You may be thinking….but the Assassins haven’t left…hell, the last book Face-Off at the Altar was about the Assassins. Right? Well, when I say they’ve returned I mean Toni has revived this series for me in a big way. I was almost ready to say that it was time for me and this series to part ways.

Before you start burning things and throwing shit my direction, let me exp
Suzi (Obsessive Reading Disorder)
I have not read a bad book in this series. I have my favorites (Jordie and Benji…well and Shea…), but honestly, Toni Aleo just does not put out a bad story. Delayed Call is no exception. However, fans of the series may notice some difference with this one. I was blown away by the dialogue. Wonderful banter and humor not only between Vaughn and Brie but between Vaughn and his “family” and between Brie and Rod. Just a great flow to the story and a very entertaining read. It just had a little somet ...more
Pam
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Star

I have followed the Assassin's from the beginning and here we are at book 11. That being said I thing Brie and Vaughn are up near the top of the list of favorite couples.

The hurdles we jump in our past tend to shape our future. It can be very hard to move forward and except that not everyone is the same and not everyone will let you down like the those you last trusted.

Vaughn is loving life but he finds himself a little lonely. He doesn't really r
Jennifer Dicenzo
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I can hardly believe we are at book number 11 in this series. I have followed and loved this series from the beginning. In this book we get Vaughn, cocky hockey player, and Brie's, sideline reporter for the team, story. They have rubbed each other wrong from the beginning and currently hate each other. Or do they? It seems to be covering up an immense mutual attraction. There were times in this book that I wanted to smack them both. But they finally got it together by the end. I loved the story ...more

• Undefeated (Bomb Squad, #2)
  • The Ace (Men of the Show #2)
  • Bodychecking: Seattle Sockeyes Hockey (Game On in Seattle, #5)
  • Back Check (Aces Hockey, #4)
  • Power Play (New York Blades, #7)
  • Tempting the Player (London Legends, #3)
  • Playing for Keeps (Play Makers #1)
  • Lucas (Cold Fury Hockey, #8)
  • The Final Move (Hometown Players, #3)
  • Out of the Game (In the Zone, #3)
  • Should've Known Better (Storm, #1)
  • Hired (Hot Ice, #1)
My name is Toni Aleo, and I’m a #PredHead, #sherrio, #potterhead, and part of the #familybusiness!
I am also a wife to my amazing husband, mother of a gamer and a gymnast, and also a fur momma to Gaston el Papillion.
While my beautiful and amazing Shea Weber has been traded from my Predators, I’m still a huge fan. But when I’m not cheering for him, I’m hollering for the whole Nashville Predators sin

Nashville Assassins (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Taking Shots (Assassins, #1)
  • Trying to Score (Assassins, #2)
  • Empty Net (Assassins, #3)
  • Blue Lines (Assassins, #5)
  • Breaking Away (Assassins, #6)
  • Laces and Lace (Assassins, #7)
  • Wanting to Forget (Assassins, #9)
  • Overtime (Assassins, #10)
  • Rushing the Goal (Assassins, #11)
  • Face-Off at the Altar (Assassins, #12)