Start by marking “Airborne (The Airborne Trilogy)” as Want to Read:
Airborne (The Airborne Trilogy)

Airborne (The Airborne Trilogy)

The story of the Second World War as seen through the eyes of an extraordinary young man in quite extraordinary circumstances.

17 September 1944: the Allies have launched the largest airborne offensive in history, delivering 36,000 troops by parachute and glider to the Dutch-German Border. In what will become known as the Battle of Arnhem, half of them will fall as casualti
Published January 12th 2017 by Head of Zeus

To ask other readers questions about Airborne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Airborne

Start your review of Airborne (The Airborne Trilogy)
Veronica ⭐️
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Airborne is the first in a trilogy set during WWII.
Captain Daniel Garland, doctor to the 11th Battalion, narrates the story in 1st person. He is currently in a POW camp attending to a patient Theo Trickey. Garland’s narration then goes back in time to tell how they came to be in the camp.

With vivid descriptions of the battalion’s air drop over Ulm, then the men being separated, makeshift hospitals, lack of equipment, the dogged fighting and bad conditions. The scenes are very descriptive and the
Cold War Conversations Podcast
Well researched and compelling novel involving British airborne troops in World War 2

Robert Radcliffe delivers an authentic and well researched novel based around British airborne trops of World War 2. Whilst making sure the details is correct he delivers a suspenseful and intriguing tale that follows two timelines that coincide at Arnhem in 1944.

I enjoyed the writing and action action was delighted that Radcliffe stayed close to the facts to deliver a believable tale that kept be interested.

R
Peter Jones
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was an extraordinarily good read.

It is, apparently, the first of a trilogy that tells the story of a young soldier, a new regiment and how they changed the course of the war.

Highly recommended. I am eagerly awaiting the next installment.

Thank you to Head of Zeus via Netgalley for providing a digital copy of Airborne by Robert Radcliffe for review. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own.
John McDermott
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Airborne was a brilliant must read novel about the Parachute Regiment during WWII concentrating on 'Theo' Trickey and Daniel Garland. Compared to James Holland ,whose excellent Jack Tanner books I'd been reading prior to Airborne , Robert Radcliffe is less gung ho and a better writer. The opening sequence where the paratroopers are waiting to drop while being fired upon by anti aircraft guns ,is thrilling, tense and real. In fact,the whole book demonstrates impeccable research which makes for an ...more
Liezl Ruiz
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Straighten your tie (if you have to wear one), smooth out your skirts (if you're the kind to wear one), puff up your chest and walk straight (when you're not crouching low but if you are, do it with dignity) because you're about to embark into a bloody battle with bloody Jerries left and right if you survive the fall down to Earth to begin with (because you're a bloody paratrooper of the 11th Parachute Battalion of the British Army).

Airborne is a really funny book (albeit you have to look for th
Dolf Patijn
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Airborne is a nicely paced WW II adventure novel with loads of interesting facts and is also the first of a trilogy. There are two main protagonists in the book: Medical Officer Captain Daniel Garland and paratrooper Theo Trickey. Both end up in a German prison camp where Garland discovers Trickey's unusual story that also involves Erwin Rommel. The story goes back and forth in time between 1944, the start of the war and even before. Some people might find that a problem but it is well done and ...more
Roopkumar Balachandran
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mesmerized by the cover of the book I requested for the copy through Net galley. I did not read the blurb. This novel is part one of Airborne trilogy, the story involves the life of three main characters paratrooper Theo Trickey, Medical Officer Captain Daniel Garland and Erwin Rommel (the desert fox).

The story starts in Ulm a small city on the Danube where prisoners of war Captain Daniel Garland along with captured 1st airborne Division. There he saves a gravely wounded paratrooper Theo. The st
David Slater
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A truly great novel of the Second World War. I can't wait for the 2nd in the trilogy.
Justin Sarginson
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Entertaining throughout. Forgiving the convenient plots, this is a fun read from start to finish.
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Airborne by Robert Radcliffe is a historical fiction book about an English air-borne medic who became a POW in WWII.

Theo Trickey, a paratrooper, was part of the largest airborne offensive in history, the Battle of Arnhem September 1944, 36,000 troops land by gliders or parachutes on the Dutch/German border. Nine days later half would be casualties including Theo who is not expected to survive.
Captain Daniel Garland, a medical officer, takes care of Theo and nurses back from the dead only to real
John Purvis
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Airborne" eBook was published in 2017 and was written by Robert Radcliffe (http://www.christopherlittle.net/auth...). This is the seventh novel published by Mr. Mason(Radcliffe).

I received an ARC of this novel through https://www.netgalley.com in return for a fair and honest review. I categorize this novel as ‘R’ because it contains scenes of Violence and Mature Language. The story is set throughout Europe during World war II. The two primary characters are British Army Medical Officer Captain
Katie
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received the copy on Netgalley (and I know I'm a bit late to the party :))

Some might consider it ironic that an army medical officer's first taste of blood in the field of battle should be his own.

The book had me hooked from the beginning. Despite knowing how the story will ultimately end (by that I mean the end of the war, not what will happen to the main characters) it was still very interesting. I enjoyed the characters and witty sentences such as the one quoted above.

Throughout the book
Richard van Balen
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a first book of a trilogy the only thing that really matters is whether you want to read the other two I suppose. This book certainly makes we want to read the rest, right now if possible.

The story evolves around two British paratroopers during Market Garden, which we all know was one of the greatest allied failures of the second World War. One of the two protagonists is a doctor, the other an immigrant from Northern Italy. The characters are wonderfully laid out and interesting.

What I find
Fi
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb insight into certain events of WW2; my only criticism was the way the story flipped around - in particular, the opening chapter rather gave away what was to happen at the end.
Can't wait for the 2nd book in the series
Mark
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great little book. Part third-person part first-person which can be a bit odd to begin with, but you soon get use to it. And being 1st part of a trilogy there is no satisfactory conclusion…but I am raring to read the next instalment, Freefall, out in paperback in September.
Jack Southwart
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read about a very interesting story. Good pace throughout, the main character is full of depth. Interesting to learn more about the Italian resistance and the background behind Italy joining the war, which I think is often overlooked) looking forward to getting stuck into book #2
Helen
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not as ' gung-ho ' in tone as I thought it was going to be. Actually a really intriguing thriller, with espionage overtones and edge-of-seat scenarios. Going to be jumping straight into ' Freefall ' 💗😄📚
Baz
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wartime-fiction
I was pleasantly surprised by this book.Wartime stories are not usually my cup of tea but this was a good read & I'll be looking for more novels by this author. ...more
Mark Donald
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty good read a bit confusing at times when it jumps to the future and back again
Julian Blatchley
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good yarn. Flash-backs and jumps forward, engaging story, not earthshaking but a very entertaining read which leaves you wanting to know what happened next... I'll certainly read the sequel.
Jack
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, wwii
A really enjoyable tale just bridging the space between fiction and non-fiction. I am very attracted to WWII tales anyway but this was well written, quite exciting and a very good read as we'll.
09/01
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
well worth the read, interesting start , storyline quickly draws you in to the history of the Airborne division, without being too onerous, will be reading the next instalment soon
Nicki
This is a fast-paced, punchy read, kicking off with the ill-fated Operation Market Garden, where our narrator, Daniel Garland, drops into the area around Arnhem as medical officer to a battalion in the Parachute Regiment.

Right from the start, this book conveys the reality of war. From the chaos of the drop to military training and precision making the best of the situation within minutes, this novel gives a real sense of how it must have been for those men parachuting into occupied territory. T
Allan Macgregor
Feb 25, 2018
Martin
Dec 17, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Gorky Park (Arkady Renko, #1)
  • The Name of Valour: A completely gripping WW2 adventure (Jungle War Book 1)
  • A Treachery of Spies (Capitaine Inés Picaut #2)
  • Ray Vs the Meaning of Life
  • The Long Journey Home
  • Women & Children First
  • Nightfall Berlin
  • Sword of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #12)
  • The World of Cycling According to G
  • Louis & Louise
  • The Death of Kings (Emperor, #2)
  • Chinook!
  • Wakenhyrst
  • The Blooding (Master of War, #1)
  • Odyssey One (Odyssey One, #1)
This is a pseudonym for Robert Mawson. ...more

News & Interviews

“Take action and be brave Theodor for it is fear and inaction that kills.” 3 likes
“Splash or crash? Do you want special ops messing about in boats? Or special ops messing in aeroplanes?” 0 likes