Start by marking “The Rite of Wands (The Rite of Wands, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Rite of Wands (The Rite of Wands, #1)

The Rite of Wands

(The Rite of Wands #1)

One boy…one Rite… And a world of deadly secrets that could change the course of history—forever.

And so begins the tale of Mierta McKinnon. When a horrible fate reveals itself during his Rite of Wands ceremony, he must find a way to change not only his destiny but also the land of Iverna’s.

Forbidden from revealing the future he foresees to anyone, he is granted a wand and h
Paperback, 1st, 252 pages
Published March 10th 2017 by BHC Press/Indigo

To ask other readers questions about The Rite of Wands, please sign up.
Mackenzie Flohr The Rite of Wands will be available to pre-order on Tuesday through Amazon and available on both Amazon and Barnes & Noble on Friday, March 10th.

John Winston
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hmmm … where do I start? The Rite of Wands is an ambitious work of literary art by debut author, Mackenzie Flohr. I use the designation “debut” loosely as The Rite… reads like anything but the work of a first-time author. To the contrary, Flohr has crafted a robust tale of secrets, mystery, and uncertain destiny that rivals the works of Tolkien, Lewis, and Rowling. That might be a leap considering The Rite… is the first installment to something bigger, but once you dig into the pages you immedia ...more
J.B. Richards
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kings, queens, warlocks, seers, evil villains, and dragons populate this exciting Middle Age Sci-fi fantasy adventure (Yes, it’s all that and more!) by Author MacKenzie Flohr. With a colorful display of characters, glorious visions of castles and manor estates, and a story line that could charm the socks off a fox, readers are temptingly pulled into a complex world filled with magic, adventure, and thrills. At first, “Rite of Wands’ seems like simple fare, focusing on the lives of two preteens l ...more
Kris
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was a great read, I am sorry I don't have the sequel right now. It is a well thought out story and has engaging characters. I am looking forward to the rest of the series to see what happens to the characters in the story.
The story shifts point of view throughout and the author does a good job handling the switches. The author kept me engaged and I finished it in a matter of days.
I received this product for free from the publisher in exchange for this post.
Andy Zach
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The Rite of Wands by Mackenzie Flohr is a fast paced magical adventure involving kings, queens, warlocks, and witches. There are mysteries behind each of the main characters, as well as murders and poisonings. The Rite of Wands refers to the ceremony by which the warlocks are certified by the last remaining dragon as actual warlocks. Only one kingdom, Arcelly, has this magical power, but their witches and warlocks go around the world as advisors to kings and queens.

The book begins with the main
Bobby Fisher
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Wands at the ready for a tale of magic and secrets! Mierta McKinnon experiences a terrible vision of the future during his Rite of Wands ceremony - an initiation all Warlocks must face. He becomes obsessed with finding a way to change his destiny and does everything in his power to change the future, unaware of how his decisions will one day reshape the kingdom.

I found the exterior to be visually appealing, with a simple but
Joanne
Delightful magical fantasy.

Mackenzie Flohr has created a beautiful world of magical kingdoms in which ambition and conspiracy work to undermine the rightful order and overthrow the rule of the rightful king.

The story is populated by beautifully complex characters, among whom Mierta McKinnon and Orlynd O'Brien take the lead roles. Very few of the characters are transparent at all, so the story keeps on developing interest and intrigue as it progresses. The very fact that Mierta is so complicate
Shakyra Dunn
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was thrilled to read this book after getting a glimpse of the synopsis, and I was not at all disappointed.

The novel was short, but I got a lot of insight into the characters, particularly taking interest in Mierta. His precocious nature as a child was appealing, and over time you watch him gradually change into a man warped by what fate has set out for him. This level of development has always drawn me into a plot, for I feel that strong characters such as him and Orlynd carry the tale with gr
Tiki Kos
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dragons, magic, audiobooks
Warlocks, seers, evil villains, and dragons are some of the mythical beings you can find in this classic fantasy book written by Mackenzie Flohr. I enjoyed all of the characters and thought Mackenzie did a brilliant job of writing this book.

I have come to love books that switch point of views which Mackenzie handled wonderfully.

The only issue I had with the story was with the narrator. At times i found it hard to understand him and also to pay attention to his flat tone.

I had the pleasure of
N.W. Moors
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Rite of Wands is interesting, a perfect fantasy book for MG and YA fantasy lovers. It is told in alternating points of view by Mierta McKinnon and Orlynd O'Brien, two young teens. Mierta goes through the Rite of Wands and sees a dark future for himself. Orlynd is brought to King Francis to act as his warlock.
Mierta is a potion maker, a skill that he uses to try to avoid his fate. Orlynd has visions though he can't always interpret them as quickly as he needs to. He is caught in the schemes
Samantha
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kate
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Back in October I had the opportunity to attend a class by Mackenzie Flohr regarding audiobooks. As part of it, she played a snippet from her latest, The Rite of Wands. I was interested enough from hearing just a couple of minutes, so I decided to check the entire thing out.

At the beginning we are introduced to Mierta McKinnon, a young warlock-to-be, who goes through The Rite of Wands, a major stepping stone for any magic folk who want to become an official witch or warlock. As part of it, he’s
Lauren Jones
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If your parents were warlocks and your grandparents were warlocks, wouldn’t that mean that you too would be a warlock? Not necessarily, according to the Rite of Wands. Those who are born warlocks are forced to take the Rite of Wands once they reach a certain age. If they pass, they get to proceed with their magic, but if they fail–magic is taken from them. What a horrible way to live life, knowing that you could have done something great but it was stripped away because of some choices you’d mad ...more
Susan
First, let me just say that I really love this book cover. It really drew me in and I like the cleverness of it, like the cover itself is a fancy book with clasps and such. I feel like a wizard-in-training just looking at this book cover.

I have to say that the main character, Mierta, has a very unfortunate name. It’s just one letter off from a popular Spanish cuss word and when listening to an audiobook a ‘t’ can easily sound like a ‘d’. It’s as if our main character was named Shet, which could
Richard Crofton
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a good read for MG and YA readers. I found the story intriguing and full of both mystery and fantasy that serves as a real page-turner. We see the events progress, mainly through the eyes of two similarly aged warlocks Mierta and Orlynd, and how they come to fill their roles in this realm.

I liked the jumping between the POV of the two characters, and although there seemed to be sporadic leaps back and forth between places and time, I was able to follow along quite well without any feeli
Adri Joy
Feb 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, nope
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange from an honest review. Though, reading through the other reviews left here, I can't help but wonder if the publisher sent me a different book to the one which everyone else seems to have read?

Despite trying to give it a fair crack all the way through, I unfortunately had to DNF this book at chapter 4, having found no signs of anything worth continuing for. The early plot was a jumble of rushed fantasy tropes (kid going through a
C.L. Cannon
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a 3.5 for me. I received the audiobook as part of an audiobook blog tour, so this will be a review of the performance of the audiobook as well as the plot of the book.

Let's talk about the thing that drove the rating down for me, that would be the narration. I really tried to like the narrator, but at times it felt like he was trying a bit too hard, and at others his voice was monotonous. It really distracted me from the story to the point that I had to stop listening about half-way thro
Rebecca Mello
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received this book from LibraryThing in return for an honest review.

The Rite of Wands follows two warlocks, Mierta Mckinnon and Orlynd O’Brien, from adolescents to early adulthood. At first it seems like these two young men have nothing in common but then the story lines intersect. Both warlocks are trying to prevent a terrible future they saw in their Rite of Wands ceremony aka the ceremony that determines if someone is going to become a warlock or not. Will they be able to save
S.K. Wee
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice World-building

The premise of this story is very interesting. Young warlocks go through a Rite of Wands when they reach puberty. This rite shows some scenes from the past, present, and future to see if the candidates are worthy of a wand. We meet young Meirta, who is given a vision of himself trying to find a cure for the plague that is rampaging through the country but in the vision he fails and succumbs to the disease.
We are also introduced to another young warlock, Orlynd whose talent is
Chelsea Haller
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chelsea by: http://www.mackenzieflohr.com/therite...
Where to start with this book. The storytelling in it is very well done. The author has multiple characters she goes between through the story, but it is never unclear as to who is talking. The one thing I did have trouble with is the timetable. She does put the dates at the beginning of the sections, but without looking back to what the date was previous, it is a bit difficult to tell right off. It would be easier if, in some way, she referenced that it was 30 years later or something. I believ ...more
Literary Classics Book Awards & Reviews
Mierta McKinnon entered the room where he would learn his fate at the rite of wands passage ceremony. A tradition for witches and warlocks on their twelfth birthday, a successful ceremony would allow him to commence casting spells and making potions. But if he failed, there would be no second chances. He would live as an outcast for the remainder of his life.

A powerful perspective with alternating points of view, this book is richly layered with mystery, intrigue, murder and deceit. It’s imposs
R.
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a interesting read. The story is told in alternating points of view. Although it takes a few chapters to start feeling the plot, it eventually works out. I appreciate the authors vision and detail in creating a world where the reader can feel wrapped in.

The dialect of one of the characters was hard to follow. I understand the authors attempt at keeping true, but, my son lost interest quickly, because of this. I, however, trekked through as it grew on me.

Overall this story is well writte
Joey Paul
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had been wanting to read this book since I first heard about it, and was so glad when it came across my path. The story starts with the rite of wands, a ceremony that Mierta, and every witch or warlock, has to go through to be given their wand and allowed to practice magic. During the ceremony, there is a scene of what could be Mierta's destiny, and he is desperate to change it. The story is engaging from the first page and beautifully told. An amazing debut novel. I loved the book and the des ...more
Angelique Anderson
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable YA-fantasy that takes you on a magical journey through two different perspectives. Those who are avid readers of any mainstream fantasy, will taste seasonings of it throughout this story. I applaud the author for sticking true to Orlynd's Celtic origins and writing his speech to match as authentically as possible. He is a bit hard to interpret at times, but I do feel that it made him more realistic and believable. Mierta was believable as well, unsure of himself, unsure of his futur ...more
Cristina Grau
Mar 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
The Rites of Wand is a young adult sci-fi book. It depicts the story of two young warlocks coming of age and embarking on a journey as an apprentice, a seer, and an advisor to the king and queen.
As you read you see how the young warlocks grow into adulthood. Many other interesting characters are participating in the story.
It is a little disappointed when you get to the end of the book, and you see “To be cont
Dawne
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you enjoy fantasy and all things magical, this is a good book to read. The story of two different warlocks and the paths they take after their Rite of Wands. The book was a little slow at the beginning, but came into its own further in. I like the world created by the author, and the details allowed you to visualize this new world. I sometimes felt a little lost in the book, some scenes were a little disjointed, but overall enjoyed it.
Alexis Long *from the heart of a bibliophile lair*
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone who likes auto books
so i listened to this as a audio book and it sounded really good and inserting.
i think more people will really like it and everything.
i would so listen to it again on another date but i really enjoyed listening to it.
but i do have to say some parts where boring and way to much but its still a good audio
four stars for sure.
Pike Perrie
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mackenzie Flohr tells a magical and mystical tale surrounding the lives of two warlocks as They Find, Seek, And Fulfill their Destinies. This Story Is Told From Two Points Of View Which Adds To The Intrigue. Both Of These Characters are Well Developed And Creatively Defined. Kudos To The Author For The Use Of Celtic Terminology!
Robert Cowan
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't wait for the book

Really enjoyed the book which hopefully is just a teaser for the series. Do not worry about the glossary,it is easy enough to read without😀!net the author over the phone at her day job. This proves she should quit and devote her time to writing. Thank you for starting this series.
Greg Jolley
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Opening "The Rite of Wands" is like stepping inside a vibrant world of magic, suspense and color. Brilliantly paced and engaging, this novel sweeps you ever forward in its adventure painted with drama and a fine cast of real and also magical characters. A journey of challenges and wonders.
InD'tale Magazine
A YA high fantasy, “The Rite of Wands” is the first book in its series.

Read full review in the 2017 November issue of InD'tale Magazine.
PAGE DROPPER: The Rite of Wands/YA Fantasy 2 11 Mar 20, 2017 07:33AM
2018 Literary Classics Awards Gold Medal Winner: Best Young Adult Fantasy Novel
2018 Imadjinn Award for Best Fantasy Novel
2018 International Book Awards Finalist in the Fiction: Fantasy
2017 Foreword INDIES Book of Year Awards Silver Medal Winner: Fantasy

Mackenzie is the award-winning author of the young adult fantasy series The Rite of Wands. A storyteller at heart, she loves to inspire the imagina