Start by marking “The Warrior's Path (The Sacketts, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Warrior's Path (The Sacketts, #3)

The Warrior's Path

(The Sacketts #3)

Filled with exciting tales of the frontier, the chronicle of the Sackett family is perhaps the crowning achievement of one of our greatest storytellers.In The Warrior’s Path, Louis L’Amour tells the story of Yance and Kin Sackett, two brothers who are the last hope of a young woman who faces a fate worse than death.

When Yance Sackett’s sister-in-law is kidnapped, he and K
Published May 1st 1984 by Bantam (first published July 1983)

Start your review of The Warrior's Path (The Sacketts, #3)
Mr. Matt
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Barnabas Sackett is no more and the story transitions to the next generation. Word comes from the small colonies in distant New England that Kin and Yance Sackett's sister-in-law, Diana, has been kidnapped. To a Sackett blood is truly thicker than water and the two frontiersmen race up the coast, crossing nearly a thousand miles of wilderness to rescue their kinsman.

The two young women who were taken did not quite fit in with the strict code of the Puritans. They walked the fields and gathered h
Jacob Proffitt
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
Now that was a lot better than the last one (To the Far Blue Mountains). A tight story with great pacing and the hero you'd expect from L'Amour. I liked Kin Sackett, though haring off to the Caribbean was a bit of an odd start. I liked Diana even better, though, and find it a relief that L'Amour's women are capable and strong in their own right. She's no warrior, but she's no fainting ninny, either, and when the time comes, she takes decisive action.

One of the things that becomes crystal clear i
Jeff Dickison
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good, but not great, entry into the Sackett series. The story was exciting, but quite cliched. There was never any doubt about what was going to happen next. I enjoyed the excursion to Port Royal. This was not the best written story by L'Amour. He actually repeated one paragraph in two separate places. Recommended to L'Amour fans only.
Tricia Mingerink
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'd forgotten much of the plot of this book in the years since I first read it. But stepping back into a Louis L'amour book reminded me once again why I spent much of my teen years reading these books.

One thing Louis L'amour does really well is the descriptions of land. He's accurate, with the eye of someone who has physically walked the same trails as his characters. He's specific, so much so that one stretch of mountain rarely feels like the same stretch of mountains, each with their own cree
Kate Sherrod
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's a strange experience for a Wyoming girl, raised on Wyoming history but not so much U.S. history, to read historical fiction in which the east coast is the frontier. Strange and pretty fascinating. I know that later Sackett novels will bring me to more familiar territory, but right now, right now the most settled part of the United States feels downright exotic, even romantic, in this third novel, The Warrior's Path.

Man, is there a lot going on in this little book.

As we rejoin the Sackett fa
Hannah
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kin Sackett (yes, that is his name) is a woodsman who is hunting, farming, and fighting Indians in 1600's America. It is a land that is just starting to get colonized and very wild. Kin is called for help when two women go missing from a village. It's believed that they're taken by Indians. As Kin and his brother Yance (cause why not?) investigate, they discover that it's not Indians, but rather the most powerful man in the village who takes women and sells them as slaves in the West Indies.

The
Alyx Hackebeil
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sackett novels are always great. Or at least all that I have read so far. This novel features Kin Sackett. He seems most like Barnabas (the patriarch of the Sackett family).

I found the pace of this novel to be ideal. It moved along without stalling out or jumping ahead. Per usual, L'Amour has a magnificent way of detailing locations and characters.

I'm curious which books in the future will be about him.
Paul Falk
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Sackett brothers, Yance and Kin, battle through the early American frontier in search of their sister-in-law who's been kidnapped. They're forced to split forces in their search. Fortunately, they've inherited their father's survival skills.
Eric
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great reading. I’ve read most of the Sackett’s books growing up some 40 years ago. I’ve never read this book, nor the 2 before. Fun to read and learn the who’s, how’s and why’s of the Sackett Family.
Charles
Dec 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: westerns
Very good, although not the best Sackett book.
Jody
Jul 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: western
I really like this series, probably one of my favorite series of any genre.
Jey
Oct 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Listening to these on tape can be really addicting. So much wisdom in here.
Kayla
Another Sackett down. I thought the ending dragged on a bit to long, but I still enjoyed the book.
Brian Fagan
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
Did you know that there was human trafficking involving white colonist girls in the 1600's? Louis L'Amour chronicles this in "The Warrior's Path". Until I read this book, I also didn't realize that L'Amour wrote books other than Westerns. "The Warrior's Path" is the 3rd novel in the 17-book "The Sacketts" series, actually his biggest series. These stories take place during colonial times. In this iteration, Kin Ring Sackett and his brother Yance are recruited from their Carolina home by the inh ...more
Josie Palmer
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Warrior’s Path by Louis L’amour was published in 1980, and L’amour is already known for his instant success from his first published book, a Western-novel called Hondo. L’amour’s style is focused on modern Western writing, and the preservation of America’s heritage and local history. The genre of this book is Western Historical.
This novel is about a family living in the Carolinas before they were even settled in by the Europeans. The younger brother’s sister-in- law was kidnapped, along wit
Will Hudson
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This Sackett novel is set prior to the other one that I have read. Prior to the American Revolution. While it was good, it wasn't as interesting to me as the previous one. I do like that you seem to be able to read them out order, as they are about the family over generations. So while you may have a mention of someone in another book, it doesn't seem to keep you from enjoying the one you are reading if you haven't read previous ones.
Todd Coburn
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: western
"The Warrior's Path" tells the tale of Kin & Yance Sackett out to rescue a settler's kidnapped daughter in the early American Wilderness.

The book exhibits L'Amour's classic style. His men are strong, courageous, thinking men, who value law, justice, humor, and fair play, and who will risk themselves to set a wrong right, to protect the innocent, or sometimes just for fun. His women are clever, intelligent, feminine, strong, and beautiful. His writing makes the reader feel the wind, taste the pai
Megan H. 6 Harris
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Warrior's Path by Louis L'Amour is a very good book. Kin and Yance Sackett are son's of Barnabas Sackett. They are living their everyday lives when a family member of Yance's wife asks for help. The sister of Yance's wife and another young girl have disappeared. Everyone says they were taken by Indians, but Kin and Yance think otherwise. They set to find these girls not knowing what lies in store. I really liked this book. It may be a short book but it is filled with excitement. The Warrior' ...more
Rick Radinsky
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I think I'll give this series one more book before I'm done with it. This one just wasn't nearly as interesting or fun as other two I've read. The main character was never really developed into someone I cared about. The narrative became repetitive, often telling the exact same recounted story as earlier chapters (I miss mom. Did I mention she's in England with my sister? Yes, we get it) Not terrible, but far from my favorite.
Robynn
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a weird one, so weird I wonder if someone helped him write it. Set in 1630, Kin Sackett travels from Carolina to Cape Anne to the Caribbean and meets pirates, and L'Amour takes a paragraph to describe his clothes. That never happens. Maybe he was experimenting. Anyway, a lot of travel over country not normally associated with the wild West.
Afshin Afshar
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Early Sacketts

I love the Sackett stories, but this one was so so. For one, there were characters who just disappeared and I never learned what happened to them. Also, there seemed to be too many shortcuts. With that said, I still enjoyed the quick read and it pulled me into dreamland for a short time.
James Biser
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This is another good Sackett story about brothers Kin and Yance who travel to the Caribbean and return home to their Blue Mountains with a wife. It is filled with rough excitement that typifies the life of a Sackett.
Chuck
Feb 22, 2020 rated it liked it
I've probably read 8 or 10 of Lamour's 100 novels, and with each one, my appreciation for this American literary icon increases. Many of his books range far beyond my preconceived notions of stock western characters and plots (though he's a master of those, as well), and The Warrior's Path is one example..
Part of the Sacketts series, it is set in 17th century colonial America, the open sea, and wide-open and lawless Port Royal, Jamaica. "Respected" colonial bigshots are running a clandestine sl
Ktmholm
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
Another (#3) in the Sackett Family series by Louis L'Amour. This one finds Yance Sackett's sister-in-law kidnapped, possibly by Indians. His brother Kin Sackett comes to the rescue, putting himself in danger numerous times, and taking him as far as the West Indies.
Several times we wondered WHY in the world Kin let the bad guys go, when killing them would obviously have been self-defense, and even Kin knew they'd just change their names and continue their evil deeds. However, this is part of an i
Van Reese
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another installment in the Sackett story line. This focused on the eldest son of Barnabas Sackett, Kin Ring Sackett. I had started reading the Sackett books in order of publishing date, but later on the books were put in chronological order of the setting in which they took place. So, I went back and started with this book to read them in chronological order.
I realize that Louis L'Amour isn't necessarily a historian, but I believe he does put some research into his books to make the settings hi
Dru83
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in L'Amour's Sackett series that chronicles a fictional family over time as they spread out and help to colonize America's frontier. This is a western style story by a western author, but set in the past amongst the early colonies on the east coast. The story is told from the point of view of Kin-Ring Sackett and also features his brother Yance. They are the children of the protagonist of the previous two books, Baranabas Sackett. When Yance's sister in law and a friend ar ...more
Violet
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: westerns
I have this one as a western but it is really more adventure I guess. Anyway, I consider Louis L'Amour a western writer. I found this wonderful book at our local library, not knowing that it is one of a series set in early America ca. 1620's. There are two earlier ones; Sackett's Land 1600 and To the Far Blue Mountains 1600 - 1620; and many later ones in this series. Gives us a glimpse of the early settlements along the eastern coast and the slave trade in existence at the time, of both blacks a ...more
Eric Parsons
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Warrior's Path continues the narrative told in To The Far Blue Mountains through the eyes of Barnabas Sackett's eldest, Kin Ring. Kin and his brother Yance receive word that friends of Yance's wife's family have been taking prisoner and thus leave Shooting Creek to help. The story finds the brothers fighting slave traders of the worst sort, then Kin heading to Jamaica for further investigation.

Once again, L'Amour tells a vivid tale of the Sackett pioneer days, even if it is not as well told
Meegan
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Unlike the first two Sackett books, I listened to this one on audio book while taking a long trip. And also unlike the other two, I loved this one! Kin Ring is almost more heroic than his father, traveling to Port Royal to stop a man from keeping up his slave trade. He is part pirate, part cowboy, part hero, and part savage.

Many of L'Amour's books throw in random conflicts near the end, and this definitely fits in that category. As I write this, I'm listening to "Jubal Sackett" and it is not as
Joleen
Setting: Massachusetts Bay Colony, 1630 (United States)
Carolina Coast, 1630 (United States
Characters:
Kin Sackett, Yance Sackett, Temperance Penney Sackett, Anna Penney, Joseph Pittingel, Tom Penney, Carrie Penney, Robert Macklin, Diana Macklin, Max Bauer.

Very well done audio version of a classic Louis L'Amour book. Quick read with much suspense and minor attraction/romance.

Not Christian fiction. Spoke of many roads leading to the same goal and a reverend not correcting it.

But the story was good
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
-Wikipedia

The Sacketts (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sackett's Land (The Sacketts, #1)
  • To the Far Blue Mountains (The Sacketts, #2)
  • Jubal Sackett (The Sacketts, #4)
  • Ride the River (The Sacketts, #5)
  • The Daybreakers (The Sacketts, #6)
  • Lando
  • Sackett
  • Mojave Crossing (The Sacketts #9)
  • The Sackett Brand (The Sacketts #10)
  • The Sky-Liners (The Sacketts #11)

News & Interviews

“Since I was a small boy, I had watched that forest for enemies or for game, and I knew its every mood and shading, how the sunlight fell through the leaves and where the shadows gathered. It held no mysteries for me but much of memory. I had played there as a child with Yance, Jubal, and Brian, later with Noelle. We had climbed its trees, picked berries there, and played hide-and-seek under its branches.” 2 likes
“There was much talk of sermons, also, and I gathered from this, as well as what Yance had told me, that sermons had much to do with shaping of thinking. There were a stiff-necked, proud folk, not easily persuaded to any course not dictated by conscience, yet conscience could be a poor guide if accompanied by lack of knowledge.” 1 likes