Start by marking “Caraval (Caraval #1)” as Want to Read:
Caraval (Caraval #1)

Caraval

(Caraval #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  303,664 ratings  ·  39,476 reviews
Recuerda, sólo es un juego…
Scarlett Dragna nunca ha abandonado la pequeña isla en la que ella y su hermana Tella viven bajo la vigilancia de su estricto y cruel padre. Desde hace años Scar sueña con asistir a la celebración anual de Caraval, unos legendarios juegos que duran una semana y en los que la audiencia participa para ganar el Gran Premio. Caraval es magia, mister
Published February 28th 2017 by Planeta (first published September 29th 2016)
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about Caraval, please sign up.
Leonora I don't think Stephanie Garber has synesthesia but rather Cravals MC, Scarlett and if you read the rest of the series it explains how and why she sees…moreI don't think Stephanie Garber has synesthesia but rather Cravals MC, Scarlett and if you read the rest of the series it explains how and why she sees the world full of colors :)(less)
Kitty Katz This is the first book in a trilogy.

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·
 ·  303,664 ratings  ·  39,476 reviews

Start your review of Caraval (Caraval #1)
emma
*record scratch*

*freeze frame*

Yup, that’s me. Scarlett Dragna, main character of the YA hit Caraval. You’re probably wondering how I ended up in this situation. If everysinglethingthathappenedinthiswholebook was anything to go by, it was through a combination of pointless lying, constant embarrassment, obsession with Some Guy, a big act of caring about a younger sister despite very little indication of that being true, unrelenting drama about a dumb wedding, repetitive interactions, weird descri
Emily May
I feel the same way about Caraval as I did about The Star-Touched Queen last year. In fact, many of my comments are the same, so if you enjoyed that book then it's probable you will like this one also.

Caraval is a fantasy without world-building or significant character development. It relies on its dreamy descriptions, purple prose, and a heavy helping of romance to make it dazzle. To take a quote from my review of The Star-Touched Queen, "if you buy into these metaphors, put on your prose-tinte
Chelsea Humphrey
How can I write a review for this giant ball of awesome and do it justice? I was intrigued by the summary from the second I found this was coming out, but had no clue if it would live up to the hype. The back cover boasts of “The spell-casting fantasy destined to become a sensation” and Fox 2000 has already purchased the rights to turn this into a major motion film, which claims some pretty mind-blowing story is within the covers. This book was even better than I could have imagined and then som ...more
Samantha
Feb 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well that was disappointing.
Miranda Reads
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Welcome, welcome to Caraval! The grandest show on land or by sea.
Ever since Scarlett was a child, she heard tales of the wonderful, mysterious and dangerous Caraval.

Trapped on a tiny island by her monster of a father, Scarlett dreams of nothing but attending.

Hundreds and hundreds of people hope and beg for a position in the games all in the attempt to obtain the grand prize - a single wish.

Much to Scarlett's delight and terror, just a few days before her wedding she receives an invitati
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
This freaking book HOLY CRAP.
I have a feeling this book is going to be a huge hit when it comes out, and rightfully so. This is the kind of story that you just want to devour because you can't get enough. It's a beautiful story about sisterhood and adventure, full of amazing characters and a delightfully dark world. It's this grotesque Wonderland like world where the Mad Hatter is calling the shots.
Honestly cannot wait for you guys to get your hands on this. Keep an eye out for it because wow.
jessica
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Q: if i could live in any fictional world, what would it be?

A: the world of caraval - im still just as obsessed with its magical mystery as i was the first time reading this.

_________________________

one of the coolest things i have ever experienced was an interactive play. you walked around from room to room in this large house where actors portrayed characters, acted out scenes, but also involved you. this book was like that, but only 1000x more magical. i mean, not to be dramatic, but i would
Stephanie Garber
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Hi all!!

Thank you all so much for being interested in my book!

For those of you who are curious, you can now get a sneak peek inside at the first two chapters on Entertainment Weekly! Happy reading!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
3rd reread. What the frack!! I don’t know if it was the audio or if my real feelings came to the surface! I just know I didn’t really like it 🤨

*********

My February Owlcrate Box!

HOLY CRAP ON A CRACKER! Loved it! ❤

I guess I should put up the big ole spoiler label just in case I get spoilery!

First off let me just get this off my chest. I wanted to smack Scarlett about 15 times during the book because she said this one thing about 50 billion times.

I have to get back to get married. I have to get b
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
*Full Review Update!!* (Spoiler free)
I cannot rave enough guys... this book wins everything.

This has made it in to my absolute all time favorites. I can't even function normally to describe it... I am absolutely floored. Zero complaints. I enjoyed every sentence.. every page.

I couldn't get enough. It was whimsical, off the charts electric, romantic, mysterious, enchanting, enthralling... full of twists and turns. So many that I thought the ending couldn't possibly live up to the mystery this
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
Mikee (ReadWithMikee)

❝Whatever you've heard about Caraval, it doesn't compare to the reality. It's more than just a game or a performance. It's the closest you'll ever find to magic in this world.❞

Thank you to Flatiron Books for sending me an advance reading copy of Caraval for review purposes.

4.5 STARS

This book was just absolutely ENCHANTING! I didn't know how high or how low to set my expectations before going into Caraval but one thing is for sure by the time I closed this book: Caraval surpassed all
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
This is my second time reading this as I was lucky enough to receive an ARC of the audiobook from Macmillan audio (thank you so much to them!) Honestly I loved it even more the second time. The audiobook was so atmospheric and beautiful and I just adore this story so much!!!
Emma Giordano
2.5 stars. I unfortunately was not a big fan of Caraval, which is very disappointing to me considering I was really excited for it!

Pretty much, everything about this book fell short for me. Every character was bland and annoying with no personality. The romance had absolutely no substance in my opinion, I never felt any chemistry or understood why they got together other than the fact that they were basically one of the only people available to the other. The setting of Caraval was so much less
Drcong O '

This book was ass but surprisingly I really enjoyed it. 😔 review to come

——
listen.... I know I trashed this book, but I saw it on my shelf and it looked sexy so I decided to read it and now I’m kind of into it... 😰

——
I've read 62 pages and I've had enough of this shitty cringefest. I dnfed this weeks ago and can't stand any of the one dimensional characters, especially the muscular, hot and swoon worthy dude who KIDNAPS the MAIN CHARACTER!!! *swoons* wow so hot!!!

fuck this abomination of a book.

b
;3
this was...how do the french say it...messé & stupide
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
This book was just so much fun! What an absolute magical and visual delight. It took so many twists and turns, it really kept me on my toes and made me want to devour the story. Absolutely loved it.
booksnpenguins (wingspan matters)
Our futures are only predictable because as creatures of this world we are predictable.

banner-n2d0dfee8d990bfab0.jpg
I really did want to like this book.
I really did want to dive into a magical and dark adventure with Scarlett and Tella.

Sadly for me, I didn’t enjoy it the way I thought I would, and this adventure turned out to be a little school trip to Boredom Land, with one heck of a frustrating main character.
And don’t even let me start on her sister.
tumblr_mo1dpesk3o1sp9fcho1_400.gif

The premise is good, though it has its little flaws right
Andreea Pop
I had really high hopes for Caraval. The blurb, the cover, and the excellent reviews promised a magical whirlwind of a story. And this novel delivered that, but its relatively achieved grandeur was overshadowed bit by bit till the end. The last 50 pages or so of the book took its soul out, leaving me with a bittersweet aftertaste, a headache and lots of confusion.

Since I cannot even reflect upon the messy thoughts inside my brain, I'll analyze punctually.

1. The world-building. Sadly, in its tr
Melanie

This story was so magical, so whimsical, and so perfect. I was skeptical, because I'm pretty much the only person on Goodreads that did not like The Night Circus, but this didn't remind me of The Night Circus at all. Well, at least the 15% I read before I couldn't force myself to read more. I mean, I can see where people would draw the parallels because of the plot, but the writing in this is much more reminiscent of The Raven Boys or Heartless. The prose is the epitome of lyrical, with descript
Candace
What a surprisingly captivating world Stephanie Garber has created in 'Caraval'! I listened to the Audible version of this book and I was mesmerized by the beautiful and vivid imagery that 'Caraval' contained. I was drawn in by the world that Ms. Garber created and it held my attention right to the very end.

Every once in a while, I love a great paranormal romance. I love to leave reality behind and take off on a journey to a place where magic and fairytales exist. This was the perfect story to d
Katerina
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2019-reads
It felt like stepping into a world made of dreams and nightmares, laced with the spicy essence of desire and the cloying smell of fear.
❝ Remember, it's only a game. ❞

Oh, Stephanie Garber appears to be an expert at playing games, a master of manipulation and misdirection. My mind is still clouded, drunk in cider, unable to grasp the boundaries between sweet fiction and reality; I was her puppet numerous times, suspicious, disappointed, frustrated when she wanted me to, enamored yet terrified
ambsreads
TRIGGER WARNING: this one slipped my attention while reading, purely because I was bored, but I feel it is important to add that this book features parent x child abuse which isn't dealt with.

WARNING: this review will be a rant, there may be unmarked spoilers. This is also a highly unpopular opinion so if you want to come at me telling me I'm wrong or didn't understand the book I will punch you in the nose from how mad this book made me. Also, there is a high amount of swearing, which I usually
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
4.5/5 - This review can also be found on my blog, Dana and the Books

I had high expectations and low expectations stepping into Caraval. Everyone who's read it has been gushing over what a masterpiece it is. But then it was also endlessly compared to The Night Circus. Confession: I didn't like The Night Circus, so I was concerned that I just wouldn't be the target reader for Caraval.  Within the first few pages, it was clear that I was going to fawn over it.

"Remember, it's only a g

Cece ❀Rants, Raves &Reviews❀
Fuck that was great
descriptiondescription

At the very beginning this book had me hooked: The mystery of caraval, the man, the myth, the legend behind it. A mysterious salior, the crazy sister who wanted more from life, and the quiet heroine who wanted her own life.

Seriously who the fuck is this guy who has a freaking magic caraval?
description

This book's concept was so unique i couldn't help but be enthralled. The myths and legends behind Master Legend and how he got his caraval gave me goosebumps:
“Perfomances blendi
Kiki
I cannot even express to you guys how bland this book was: like tofu, like unseasoned chicken breast, like brown bread with no peanut butter. Just miss me with that shit. Miss me with it all the way.

Back in the day, when I was a snarky teenager, I used to enjoy writing reviews that were really, really, venomous. Kids can be cruel, and while I stand by my right to love or hate any media, and to express my opinion, it can go...a little far. Then again, hyperbole is hyperbole. When, at seventeen,
Anne
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did anyone else see this while they were reading?

description

So how do you pronounce this, exactly?
In my head, I was saying it like Carnival without the n sound. Well, actually, I ended up trying out a few different pronunciations in my head (see example above), and eventually settled on that one...ish. Because, and I don't know if I'm the only one who does this or what, I've noticed that I kind of mumble stuff that I'm not 100% sure how to say.
Yes. In my head. I'll mumble shit in my head.
And you know what
Yumiko
This review contains no spoilers.

RAMBLING AND RAVING
You know that feeling when you've had a book on your shelf for an entire fucking year, but you always manage to look past it and prioritize other books? And then when you finally get around to reading said book, it turns out to be one of your best reads all year? I swear that is the worst form of self-torture in the world.

I am just so infuriated with myself. Why did I take so long to read this? I don't understand how a book can be so perfect, s
Warda
Jun 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My first one-star rating of the year.

Even though I finished this book within a day, I feel so meh about it. I don't even know how to review it. Whilst reading, I tried to think of one aspect of this book that made it appealing for me and now that I've finished it, I can't think of a single one.

Other than the cover.

Now I just feel numb, devoid of any feelings and emotion to the point it's causing me discomfort.

*curls up in a ball*
Mizuki
I picked up Caraval by Stephanie Garber from the library merely because the pretty book cover and the hype on GR and free copy from library! Nothing too bad can happen, right? Right?

Then around page 140, this happens:

Imagine: you are a teenage girl, you are desperately searching for your missing younger sister, and here is a fortune teller, who offers to answer a few questions from you. What will you do?

(1) First and foremost, ask said fortune teller where to find your sister.

(2) Putting the iss
The Mafias Who Read: November BOTM - Caraval 14 15 Nov 17, 2022 09:28AM
what is your opinion? 1 3 Oct 23, 2022 08:35AM
Book Nerds: This topic has been closed to new comments. October 2022 - Caraval 4 18 Oct 04, 2022 06:13AM
A Little Tree Hollow: This topic has been closed to new comments. Caraval - Discussion 17 32 Sep 13, 2022 12:10AM
°The Rainy Day Bo...: September BOTM *including spoilers 4 44 Sep 12, 2022 05:13AM

• The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • The Inheritance Games (The Inheritance Games, #1)
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Kingdom of the Wicked, #1)
  • Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)
  • Daughter of the Pirate King (Daughter of the Pirate King, #1)
  • Heartless
  • The Hawthorne Legacy (The Inheritance Games, #2)
  • To Kill a Kingdom
  • Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)
  • Red Queen (Red Queen, #1)
  • Dance of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Ignite Me (Shatter Me, #3)
  • Kingdom of the Cursed (Kingdom of the Wicked, #2)
  • Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
See top shelves…
Hi! Thanks so much for stopping by this page. I’m only on this site occasionally, so if you’d like to send me a message, please use the contact form on my website: http://stephaniegarberauthor.com.

I can also be found on Instagram, and I love connecting with readers. If you're looking for more information about my books, the most up to date news can be found on Instagram, but I also try to update

Caraval (3 books)
  • Legendary (Caraval, #2)
  • Finale (Caraval, #3)

Articles featuring this book

Now that we’re halfway through the year, it’s time to check in on the 2022 Goodreads Reading Challenge, our rigorous annual initiative for book...
“Every person has the power to change their fate if they are brave enough to fight for what they desire more than anything.” 979 likes
“She imagined loving him would feel like falling in love with darkness, frightening and consuming yet utterly beautiful when the stars came out.” 673 likes