Start by marking “A Sicilian Farewell” as Want to Read:
A Sicilian Farewell

A Sicilian Farewell

(The Italian Chronicles #2)

A young man, a new land, and a dream that threatens to destroy him, his marriage, and his mission . . .

The dream of a better life for himself and his family drives Luca Tonetta to the American Promised Land with his wife of five years, Maria Landro Tonetto, and their three children. But the new Promised Land is nothing like what Luca had imagined. Forced to live in a roach
Published December 14th 2016 by TopNotch Press

To ask other readers questions about A Sicilian Farewell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Sicilian Farewell

Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Last week I reviewed The Madonna of Pisano, the first book in The Italian Chronicles series, which I enjoyed immensely. A Sicilian Farewell is the second book and it continues Maria's story. Although Diorio's writing was just as gripping once the story took off about one-third into the book, and I was emotionally invested in this book too, there were a few things that bothered me, which I'll get into further on.

Maria and Luca now have a growing family of three children. Five years have passed si
Connie Saunders
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
'A Sicilian Farewell' is the story of a man of deep faith who leaves his home in Sicily to travel to America so that he can better provide for his family and also answer God's call to preach. Luca Tonetta feels that God wants him to take His Gospel to the people of America, the New Promised Land, and Luca knows that he must obey. After arriving in America with his wife and three children, Luca begins his new life working as a tailor, the trade he had mastered in Sicily. It is soon apparent that ...more
Deborah Piccurelli
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Following this story from Volume One has been so much fun! All of the characters, who have migrated from Italy in the late 1800’s, feel like old friends. The plus for me is that it gives a little history of my own heritage, as I am Italian through and through, and my grandparents were immigrants.
The first book took place in Sicily, but now Luca and Maria Tonetta take their family to the United States in search of a better life. Luca is a tailor whose business has been failing, as many in Italy w
Christie Sitterly
Following God’s call for his life, Luca and his family immigrate from Italy to America. Luca’s decision to do so is a difficult one. His wife’s heart will always be with her beloved Bella Terra and he is ripping her from all she knows. However, due to political circumstances, Sicily is struggling and Luca is barely eking out a living. From Sicily, America seemed like the promised land, one of great opportunity for his business and growth. But once there, Luca is faced with struggle, strife, and ...more
Diana
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I fell in love with the dramatic characters in Book One 'The Madonna of Pisano' and knew I must read the rest of their intriguing story. It broke my heart to read of the deplorable conditions immigrants had to endure while seeking a better life in America. Not only racism, but rat-infested tenements, long, tedious working hours, and an intense yearning for the beautiful land they left behind. I can honestly say I could not have endured it and would have been on the next ship home!
Maria and Luca
Kathi Macias
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such lovely writing--and an even lovelier story! Author MaryAnn Diorio takes her readers on a courageous journey, from the ancient romance of the Old Country to the perils and possibilities of the New Country. Well developed characters and a story that will stay with you long after you've finished this enjoyable read.
Crystal
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very realistic story of a family considering leaving Sicily for America and the challenges and opportunities they faced along the way. Their faith throughout the journey was inspiring the author did a wonderful job of bringing their daily struggles to life. I came into this series at book two and would like to go back and read the first book, because the characters were so enjoyable.
Janet Eckles
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Though Luca’s family says farewell to Sicily, the reader says “hello” to hope. With characters that quickly become dear and lovable, “A Sicilian Farewell” grips the heart. The power of God to restore is beautifully showcased with details of what goes on in the heart when one is faithful to God.—Janet Perez Eckles
Gee  Dixon
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: challenge, my-books
I love this story that has continued from Book 1 and will continue in Book 3. A family and how they came together in their home country and then takes a chance for a better life in America. There are many challenges that Luca and Maria have to face and with God they continue to hold onto Him and through all they know "God will never fail". Looking forward to reading Book 3.
MaryAnn Diorio
Dec 27, 2016 marked it as books-i-ve-written  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Skye Skye
Nov 26, 2017
Skye Skye
Jan 13, 2017
MaryAnn Diorio
Feb 10, 2017 marked it as books-i-ve-written  ·  (Review from the author)
Elly
Kelly
May 05, 2018
McPhaul M.
Mar 11, 2019
Dr. MaryAnn Diorio is a widely-published, award-winning author who writes riveting and compelling fiction that deals with the deepest issues of the human heart. She also writes picture books for children.

MaryAnn holds the PhD In French with a concentration in Comparative Literature from the University of Kansas and the Master of Fine Arts in Writing Popular Fiction from Seton Hill University.

She h

The Italian Chronicles (3 books)
  • The Madonna of Pisano
  • Return to Bella Terra: Book 3 of The Italian Chronicles Trilogy (The Italian Chronicles)