Start by marking “The Eagle, the Cave, and the Footbridge (Hamelin Stoop, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Eagle, the Cave, and the Footbridge (Hamelin Stoop, #1)

The Eagle, the Cave, and the Footbridge

(Hamelin Stoop #1)

Afraid of being caught by trackers from another world, a young mother abandons her baby boy in a tomato box inside the screened porch of a children's home. The staff at the orphanage name him Hamelin Stoop, but he grows up longing to learn his real name, find his parents, and thus discover his true identity.

Life is not easy for Hamelin. He belongs to everyone, though in s
Published November 15th 2016 by 12 Gates Publishing (first published November 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Eagle, the Cave, and the Footbridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eagle, the Cave, and the Footbridge

Start your review of The Eagle, the Cave, and the Footbridge (Hamelin Stoop, #1)
Bonnie DeMoss
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an advance review copy for free from Booksirens, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

Hamelin Stoop is an exciting young adult fantasy adventure series in the vein of Harry Potter. It could definitely be the next big thing.

Hamelin was found abandoned on the front stoop of an orphanage, but the story of Hamelin's "abandonment" is told in the first few chapters. Hamelin runs away from the orphanage when he is 8 years old, and then he begins to learn more about his parents and his tr
Nana Spark
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I feel like the author didn't know if he wanted to write an innocent middle grade novel or a full scale horror-ish, adventure young adult novel. The descriptions of actions and paths the characters are taking, the other world world building, and character development were a bit off but the descriptions of Hamelin's childhood was nice.

ℹ Disclosure:
I received an arc copy of this book via NetGalley and I’m reviewing it voluntarily.
Eileen
This was a nice surprise and introduced an orphan baby named Hamelin whose mother is from another realm and who leaves him in the orphanage where she was saved just as she is captured by the other realm. The story shares some of what she and her husband (from our world) go through in the other, but overall the focus is on Hamelin as he grows up in the orphanage and he makes friends who love him and care for him, even as he wonders who he is. I was a bit concerned that some of the characters were ...more
Melissa C
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-school
Technically this is a 3.5 stars book. It is better than an Okish book but not grabbing me that much as my 4 stars books.

I was under the impression that this is a middle school fantasy but man, the first few chapters are way darker. The beginning is pretty much a YA to me.

The story overall is a bit of a slow-burn, but it really hooked me to finish it and see what happened to Hamelin's parents, though the truth is I may find it out in the next book.

I've been suspicious all the way until the end as
Jill
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the opening chapter, readers will be enthralled with this heart-stopping adventure. Simon and his wife Johnnie, are new parents and take drastic measures to protect their newborn from being captured by Ren'dal's forces. A glimpse into that dark world is only a part of the story line.

The parallel story involves Hamelin Stoop, the youngest resident at an orphanage. Having been abandoned as a baby, the only family he knows are the staff at the orphanage and the fellow orphans who live there. U
Wayne Walker
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A girl named Johnnie escapes from an evil lord named Ren’dal of Ventradees in another world and is raised at the Upton County Children’s Home in west Texas, where she grows up, marries a young worker at the home named Simon, and has a baby. But when trackers from Ren’dal appear, she abandons her baby boy in a tomato box inside the screened porch of the same children’s home before she and Simon are taken to Ventradees. The staff at the orphanage name him Hamelin Stoop. Meanwhile, a great struggle ...more
Sara Lawson
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Hamelin Stoop was so named because Hamelin was one of the few legible words from the message his mother had left with him and because he was found on the stoop of the orphanage. The book chronicles his life from shortly after his birth until about halfway through his 11th year. He struggles with being the baby of the group, being bullied, and watching the adults and "older siblings" leave the orphanage. He also met a talking eagle.

The Eagle, the Cave, and the Footbridge draws on a lot of classic
Liesbeth
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it

This author has a different approach to a story that doesn’t let you jump into a crazy action story and…it is so different of what I normally read. Most stories head into the action immediately, where the character of the story is already grown up and suddenly realize they have powers or coming from a different dimension or land.

The journey begins when Hamelin’s parents left him at the orphanage. They gave him u
Marythios (AkaSusanne )
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was so surprised by this book. I really enjoyed the story it was a story premised on good and evil. the story starts by talking about a girl named Johnnie who escapes from an evil lord named Ren’dal of Ventradees. Venrtradees is in another world and she is raised at the Upton County Children’s Home in west Texas, where she meets and marries a young worker at the home named Simon. They have a baby together. To save their son from being found by the trackers they leave him at the same children's ...more
Lori
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow!! What a great story!! It held me captivated most of the night and when I looked up it was daylight! I thought wow! Where did the night go lol!
But really I truly enjoyed what was happening in the book. In fact I was in the book itself! I was at the mouth of the cave right along with Ben, Layla and Hamelin and wanting to fall into it! Now that was creepy!
I immediately loved the older couple that moved into rhe children's home except that I couldn't stand the lady's sing songy voice. For some
Heidi | Paper Safari Book Blog
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a well written fantasy story. Hamelin is left by his parents on the steps of a childrens home to save his life. While his parents are taken back to the other realm Hamelin is raised in this time in West Texas. As he grows up he starts to encounter strange things and at one point is taken to meet his destiny but he isn't ready to move beyond his fear. With the help of his friends from the childrens home he is able to piece together more of his past and discover what might have happened to ...more
Ejayen
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am mad this stupid computer somehow didn't save my review of this book. Not that the review was any good because said stupid computer wasn't allowing me to type. But I suppose I should also say that I picked up a review copy of this book.
I wouldn't really say this is a middle-grade book, it's a book some middle-grade readers will love, others may find too boring, and a few more may have their parents say no.
If I had read this ten years ago I would have loved it, if just for the mention of The
Debra
Mar 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this young adult adventure very much, although, it didn't end!! Now, I will seek out the next book in this series.

I grew to like the main character, Hamelin Stoop and those he grew close to while living at the Children's home.

I gave this book a four instead of a five because some of the plot lines were hard to follow, not really knowing what connection everyone in the other realm had to each other.

I received a free copy of this book and am leaving this review voluntarily. Thank you Boo
Lindy Hoppr
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a a fun book with great characters. Hamelin is fleshed outback exactly a step a young boy, brave but also not always, and the princess has such a great arc i hope we see more of her. The hero's journey is tight and well paced. Can't wait for the sequel. I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily. ...more
Bonny Rambarran
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A baby left on the porch of an orphanage. His parents totally disappear - into another realm. And that is just the beginning of an amazing story!!! Read it if you want to be sucked into a great book!!Oh my word - this book grabs you on page one and does not stop!!!

I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All thoughts and comments are my own.
Kay Mcleer
this was a neat young adult novel, I read the three together and they were exactly how I wanted my young adult series to go. The world was built wonderfully and magically and the characters were great, The first book in the series was a good start and each book got better.
Sylvia
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me of a fantastical version of Annie. An orphan longing to know their true identity goes on a journey to discover who they really are. A must read for fans of C.S. Lewis and Tolkien. My kids loved it and we can’t wait to read the next one!
Amber Elizabeth
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, fantasy
Disclaimer* I received this as a free ebook from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. The opinions in this review are my own and are in no way influenced by another party.

This book is a good start to what I hope to be a very captivating story and adventure. I love a good orphan, chosen one story--Series of Unfortunate Events, Harry Potter, or Chronicles of Narnia anyone?--and I did enjoy book one of this series, so much so in fact, that I immediately began book two upon finishing.

What
Jonnie  N. Fry
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good adventure story
Joannah
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 10 year old and up
Hamelin Stoop is a great young character. Many elements of the story hint at the tidbit of fantasy that is included in this volume, always alluding to something or someone on "the other side." I really enjoyed the roles of Hamelin's parents and the struggles they go through on "the other side." The first 3 chapters are a bit choppy, but they are short chapters. Once those 3 are passed, the book improves tremendously. It's a fast read with lots of short chapters, and I could see it being great fo ...more
Bryan Sloan
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great storytelling, and I really loved it being a native Texan. Can't wait for the rest of the series. ...more
Ava
Jul 26, 2019 rated it liked it
it was a really cute, sweet story.
Elwood
Jun 12, 2017
Charles
rated it did not like it
Feb 29, 2020
Oct 23, 2017
Eraina
Jun 07, 2020
Addicted to YA: Robert B. Sloan 2 11 May 11, 2017 07:42AM

• Esme's Wish (Esme Series #1)
  • Long Range (Joe Pickett #20)
  • Father and I Were Ranchers (Little Britches, #1)
  • Midnight Son
  • The Splendid Secrets of 66 Lilly Pilly Lane (A fairy fantasy for kids ages 9-12)
  • Mooncakes
  • On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness (The Wingfeather Saga, #1)
  • Strawberry Girl
  • Mandie and the Secret Tunnel (Mandie, #1)
  • Ginger Pye (The Pyes, #1)
  • Thimble Summer
  • Snow Treasure
  • Calico Bush
  • Justin Morgan Had a Horse
  • The Cross of Lead (Crispin, #1)
  • A Gathering of Days: A New England Girl's Journal, 1830-32
  • The Secret of the Mansion (Trixie Belden, #1)
  • Indian Captive: The Story of Mary Jemison
Robert is married to his college sweetheart, Sue. With seven married children and over twenty grandchildren, they enjoy large family gatherings with good food and lively conversation around the table. Favorite family activities include role-playing games, writing and reading stories, and, of course, storytelling. Robert is also a University president and scholar.

Hamelin Stoop (3 books)
  • The Lost Princess and the Jewel of Periluna (Hamelin Stoop, #2)
  • The Ring of Truth (Hamelin Stoop, #3)