Start by marking “Daniel Boone's Great Escape” as Want to Read:
Daniel Boone's Great Escape

Daniel Boone's Great Escape

While out hunting buffalo one day, the great Wild West explorer Daniel Boone was captured by powerful Shawnee warriors. Enraged by the settlers’ murder of one of their own, the Shawnee chief decided to take Boone hostage as revenge. Even though he was eventually adopted by the Shawnee and grew accustomed to their way of life, Boone was constantly concerned about the safety ...more
Published August 1st 2008 by Walker Childrens (first published July 22nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Daniel Boone's Great Escape, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daniel Boone's Great Escape

Cheryl
Oct 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I don’t have any issues with the book itself. It’s Daniel Boone that simply rubs me wrong.

Yes, running for your life is a great story, but this isn’t a new topic. Slaves ran for their life too in America.

— For him to trick the Shawnee tribe after they took him in - the chief regarding him as a son! That is such an honor, and he backstabbed them. I’m sorry. This book made me dislike the guy even further.
Teri
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Revolutionary War time period.
Jennifer Wardrip
Sep 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Sally Kruger aka "Readingjunky" for Kids @ TeensReadToo.com

DANIEL BOONE'S GREAT ESCAPE is the little known story of Boone's escape from the Shawnee Indians. Author Michael P. Spradlin explains that the incident is only mentioned in one sentence of Boone's autobiography, but Spradlin recreates the adventure in this well-illustrated children's book.

Taken prisoner as part of a plan to spare his people from an attack by the Shawnee, Boone spent time living with the Indians. In the story
Mel
Nov 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in history
I didn't want to add children's books to my list, but I'm going to. This book was for my youngest and it was so good I had to read it again. Then again the next night. And we had to discuss different parts of the story after each reading. It is that good!
Can you imagine escaping for your life?
Can you imagine escaping to the wilderness and running from the Ohio River to Richmond, KY? (approx 160miles)
Can you imagine doing this in four days?
Can you imagine doing this and eating only one meal of
Loren
Feb 03, 2010 rated it liked it
As I mentioned juv biography via picture books really speaks to me, and this one is a version of Daniel Boone that I never heard before. The illustrator, Ard Hoyt also did the Otterly Otter book I reviewed earlier. Interestingly I like his illustrations in the otter book better. This still worth a read!
Sue
Oct 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, picture-books
Daniel Boone's capture into Shawnee Captivity in
Ohio, his life there, and subsequent escape back to Boonesborough, KY is told with relish and action. Illustrations with water color, pen and ink and line drawings add to the active feel and authentic nature of the tale. Boys will gobble up.
Rachel
learned so much about his life and accomplishments. good for overcoming adversity theme and early frontier life. he ran 160 miles in 4 days with only one meal to rescue his family and the settlers! very interesting and good pics
Sierra
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and my dad does to because it was dedicated to him!!
Shannon
Mar 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-read, childrens
Great read and so Fun to learn the tale behind the name. Love it even more because my brother is the illustrator!
Matthew
This is a beautifully illustrated children's book on a specific incident in Daniel Boone's life. Well worth the read.
Tanya W
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
We loved this story about Daniel Boone and what he did to prepare his family and people for an attack by Shawnee.
Hannah
May 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ian-read
This was about Daniel Boone escaping from the Indians.
Liz