Start by marking “The Grouchy Ladybug” as Want to Read:
The Grouchy Ladybug

The Grouchy Ladybug

From Eric Carle, New York Times bestselling author of The Very Hungry Caterpillar and From Head to Toe, comes the classic story of one very grouchy ladybug. Eric Carle's bright artwork and signature style will charm both ardent fans and new readers alike.

As children follow the Grouchy Ladybug on her journey, they will learn the important concepts of time, size, and shape,
Published August 16th 1996 by HarperCollins (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Grouchy Ladybug, please sign up.
Rebekah
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Grouchy Ladybug
Archit Ojha
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
How can such a small, little book teach such valuable lessons like friendship, manners and many others. Well, it really does.
Hilary
Dec 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A lady bird is feeling grouchy and tries too start a fight with bigger and bigger animals. It was quite a humorous story and fun to read as an adult but I don't think I'd want to read this to a small child as I don't think the repeated references to starting a physical fight is something I would choose for that age group in general to read.
Ronyell
Ladybug

After I had read “The Very Hungry Caterpillar,” I really wanted to read more books by Eric Carle. “The Grouchy Ladybug” is definitely no exception in reading some of Eric Carle’s great works! “The Grouchy Ladybug” is a book by Eric Carle and it is about how a grouchy ladybug tries to pick a fight with the other animals no matter how large they are. “The Grouchy Ladybug” is truly one of the most hilarious books about the consequences of bullying that every child will definitely enjoy!

The book sta
Jem
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Pretty sweet book about a pretty pugnacious ladybug. He better not try to fight me or I'll knock his chiclets out! If he stepped to me, first I'd be like "What?!?!":

description

Then I'd be all, "Fool, you really wanna end up like this chump? I'll beat my own dad, I don't give a damn!":

description

Then I'd freakin' eat you and all that would be left is some green gunk cuz I eat fools like you for breakfast:

Joshua Arnett
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
This ladybug tries to fight a whale...imagine such a thing.
Angela Blount
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books

Charming in execution, rhythmic in wording, and valuable in its many potential lessons. This may be Carle's best children's book.

A ladybug with an over-sized ego (and an attitude problem to match) faces off against increasingly larger opponents. His threats are met calmly by a colorful array of animals, each with their own unique traits and obvious advantages over the mouthy little aggressor. Each creature is politely but firmly prepared to stand up for itself against this pint-sized bully.

In t
Bookishrealm
Hahaha! I mean I'm glad she learned her lesson about picking on people no matter what size they are big or small. I really loved the artwork. I mean it's Eric Carle so I definitely enjoy it. I think this was a lesson about being nice to people no matter who or what they are because you never know what could happen.
Liam
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and I love the connected universe that the author is setting up. The only reason that this ladybug is so grouchy is that the very hungry caterpillar ate the ladybug's one apple two pares three plums four strawberries five oranges one piece of cake one ice cream cone one pickle one slice of swiss cheese one slice of salami one lollipop one piece of cherry pie one sausage one cupcake and one slice of watermelon. This book is about the struggle that a ladybug goes through after bei ...more
Yashpreet
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
During the bad tempered ladybird fly towards breakfast he started an argument with an friendly ladybird who he propositioned to an fight but decided not to because he was bigger than the polite ladybird. The bad tempered ladybird decided to find someone big enough to fight. Finally when we propositioned the whale slapped the ladybird and he realised the consequences to his actions and he stopped being bad tempered.

I think this is a good book in the way it’s written with its repetitive streak. T
Nicola
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Miss 3 and I normally love Eric Carle's books but the storyline of the grumpy ladybug looking for a fight didn't work for her. What she did like was flicking the tab like pages and naming the different animals that the ladybug encounters. I also needed to stress more explicitly for her the moral of the story which was that the ladybug would have been better off being kind and sharing in the first place (although then she wouldn't have had her big adventure!).

What was useful about the story, was
Shawn Deal
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
After reading quite a few books by this author, this is the one for me that really misses the mark. The grouchy lady bug throughout the story goes and tries to pick a fight with various other creatures. Although she never fights, I don't believe that this is the right subject for this age group. The word fight is repeated on nearly every page, so it really sticks into a child's mind. I loved the illustrations but I would not read this book out loud to a child.
Priscilla
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manner, repatation, humor
I really like how the book is illustrated. The Grouchy Ladybug is one of the most funniest books I have ever read. there are so many concept being taught in this story. children will definitely enjoy this book.
Rebecca Alvarez
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Christina Starks
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Eric Carle is a very famous children’s literature author. His illustrations are so powerful and creative. The Grouchy Ladybug is also known as The Bad-Tempered Ladybird. Throughout this story a very stubborn ladybug challenges another ladybug to fight for some aphids. The stubborn ladybug says (a repeated phrase throughout the whole book) that he isn’t big enough. For the remainder of the book, the ladybug goes around finding other creatures to challenge and continues to say that they aren’t big ...more
Tiwary Amit
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Eric Carle is the master craftsman. Numero Uno.

This book was recommended by Arhat's school. I was apprehensive because at first go of my reading I found it little verbose. Little much text than what Arhat's other books have.

But bingo! Arhat loved this one. The strength of the book is certainly the graphics (as usual :-)) but what appealed the kid is the content and repetitiveness in the content.

This is a wonderful book. Your kid will love this. You will love this too.
One more, please!
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Grouchy is definitely the choice word to describe this feisty ladybug. The Grouchy Ladybug by Carle lives up to the standard. The story is wonderful and amusing, the illustrations are delightful. I love that the ladybug meets other animals and they appear in size order and with the proper names. There is a lot of room to have different discussions with kids which is always a bonus.
John
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I like this book because there was this happy little ladybug and this grumpy ladybug. The happy ladybug said, "we can share a leaf with lots of aphids," and the grumpy ladybug says, "no, they're all mine!" He goes to all these animals and he says, "want to fight?" and the other person says, "if you insist," and he says, "you're not big enough, anyway!"
Gina
May 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Carle always does interesting things with the art and layouts, but the stories tend to be repetitive and this may be the most repetitive I have read. I guess it can contain a message about standing up to bullies.
Brianna Stahly-Hale
In Eric Carle's the grouchy ladybug children will learn about shapes and size which makes it a math concept book. Children will also learn about the way that our words can affects our emotions. I think that this is an early elementary book because it focuses on more basic or simple concepts.
Jessica
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can totally relate to this ladybug!
Mary Lowd
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book speaks to me on a deep level, and I think about it every time I get angry and want to pick fights on the internet.
Shannon Molina
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pre-k
This book was awesome. The grouchy ladybug was acting tough with the other ladybug and as she went on to find someone else who was bigger than her made me think how this story could show a child that there is always someone else bigger than them. Sharing is caring. The ladybug had to go through a lot of animals that were not afraid of her and was ready to fight whenever. I like this book and enjoyed reading it.
Leigh Triplett
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ga-pre-k-books
This book has the great illustrations of all of Eric Carle's books. The pictures also include little clocks in the corner that fit with the time being discussed on that page and even shows where the sun would be in the sky on the right side of the page. A fun book teaching children that being grouchy is not always a good thing, sometimes it hurts us in the end.
Emma Manthey
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The grouchy ladybug was one of my favorite books as a kid. It is about a ladybug who wanted to fight different animals. They start to get bigger and bigger throughout the book, and every time he says the animal is not big enough for him to fight and he goes to the next animal. Every page also has a time in the corner that is the time of the day. The sun also goes up and down as the day goes along and the story progresses. This would be a good book to teach time with since it has clocks in the bo ...more
Stephanie
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Text-to-Teaching Connection:

As a child, I grew up loving to read the "Hungry Caterpillar." I found "The Grouchy Ladybug" while snooping though the library and decided to give it a try.

After reading "The Grouchy Ladybug," I had a few good ideas spring into my mind about teaching children about time. Carle seems to make learning time a little easier making sure to include a clock showing the time on each page. Children are visual learners and this idea was just too awesome for me. In a kindergarte
Jodie
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It is five o’clock in the morning, and a friendly ladybug and a bad tempered one both see a leaf with aphids on it and decide they want it for breakfast. The friendly ladybird tries to be polite and suggests sharing the aphids; however, the bad tempered one does not want to do this and suggests a fight. Although the friendly ladybird agrees, the bad tempered ladybird flies off in a rage, saying he wants to fight somebody bigger. An hour later it meets a wasp, followed by a stag beetle, followed ...more
Katee
Apr 11, 2010 added it
Summary: This book is similar to "The Very Hungry Caterpillar." It starts out with a grouchy lady bug meeting a friendly ladybug. The grouchy ladybug wants to eat all the aphids and the friendly lady bug suggests that they share. But that's not good enough for the grouchy ladybug so he asks "...do you want me to fight you for them?" The other ladybug said "If you insist." The grouchy ladybug then says "Oh, you're not big enough for me to fight." So he flew away. Starting at six o' clock the grou ...more
James Byrne
The bad tempered ladybird by Eric Carle
This a lovely illustrated book that is aimed at young children between 4-6 I would suggest. I enjoyed the story as I feel it related to children adapting to sharing in school life. The story itself begins with a nice friendly ladybird that is eating aphids on a leaf only to be joined by an angry ladybird that refuses to share the aphids. The angry ladybird then goes on an angry rampage who has heated exchanges with every animal he meets. He declares that e
Kayo C
Jun 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: math-books
I used The Grouchy Ladybug in my class when discussing time. The book has a mini-clock in the corner of each page and talks about what the lady bug did at that time. I started out the activity by reading the page aloud and then assigning a student to show the time on a large manipulate clock and asked the other kids to give a thumbs up/down if they agreed with the answer. I then showed them the picture and we checked the answer with what was in the book. The modifications I would make for next t ...more
Kavitha Suhumar
Apr 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is about a friendly ladybird who is eating and is joined by a bad tempered ladybird who also wants to eat but refuses to share the food with the friendly ladybird. The bad tempered ladybird starts to pick a fight with every animal he meets. The story goes on where he meets lots of different animals to fight but he feels that they are not big enough to fight him. As the story progresses the animals get bigger and bigger-and as the animals get bigger the pages in the book also get bigge ...more
MCC Children's Li...: The Grouchy Ladybug - Challice 1 1 Apr 04, 2012 06:57PM

• Panda Bear, Panda Bear, What Do You See?
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly
  • If You Give a Pig a Pancake
  • David Goes to School
  • Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?
  • A Color of His Own
  • No, David!
  • Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
  • My Many Colored Days
  • Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
  • The Foolish Tortoise
  • Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed
  • If You Take a Mouse to School
  • The Cat in the Hat
  • The Kissing Hand
  • The Rainbow Fish
  • If You Give a Pig a Party
  • If You Give a Moose a Muffin
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around ...more

News & Interviews