Start by marking “The Fourth of July Story” as Want to Read:
The Fourth of July Story

The Fourth of July Story

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  205 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
What happened on the Fourth of July long before there were fireworks and parades? Alice Dalgliesh takes young readers back to revolutionary times, back to the colonists' desire for freedom and the creation of the Declaration of Independence. Simple text captures the excitement of the era, telling how word of Independence travelled up and down the thirteen colonies, touchin ...more
Published June 1st 1995 by Aladdin (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Fourth of July Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fourth of July Story

Liz
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-blog
This book is aptly named; it is indeed a story. The basic elements are true. Flourishes are added to make the story more accessible for a young child. Those flourishes work well. They add excitement and a sense of pride to the story.

The book starts with the Liberty Bell ringing on the very first Fourth of July. It starts by addressing the reasons colonists wanted to be free from the British, and how the tension between England and the colonists mounted. Next we see Thomas Jefferson writing the D
momma.hailey
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is exactly the type of historical story book that I love to read a loud to my children. The length might intimidate some, but it's worth it. Beautiful illustrations make it that much better, although the story stands alone. At first I was surprised it didn't have a higher rating, but then I remembered most people don't want to read long picture books to their children. Sad, but true.
LaDonna
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Such a great way to teach younger kids about our nation's history. I highly recommend it. This will be an annual story in our home from now on.
Karen
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jacob, mom, ellie
Absolutely wonderful simple story of the 4th of July. Mom rates 5 stars, kids 3 stars..krb 6/30/16
Alice Ball
Alice Dalgliesh's prose is clear and simplified. It could be understood and absorbed as young as second grade. I wouldn't use it in a classroom, but would use it as a parent in combination with other texts that that offer a more diverse perspective on the day.
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: american-history
This was a perfect book for my 6-year-old son's attention span. I love the artwork which reminds me of some of the 1970s bicentennial artwork, though it was published in the 50s. I like how the book focuses mainly on the Declaration of Independence, but it also talks about the very bare bones basics of the Revolutionary War in a language children will find easy to understand. There are some big vocabulary words, but nothing too intimidating for a parent to explain.
I also liked that the author t
Amy
Love this! It is a reprint of a book from the 50's. Perfect little overview for a 5-9 year old with lovely vintage artwork. The author's note in the beginning sums it up:

"The story of the birthday of our country is a big story to tell young children. Yet when they begin to ask, 'Why do we have a holiday on the Fourth of July?' they have a right to know. They have a right to know that Independence Day is something more than fireworks and picnics.
In telling the story I have used few names and tri
midnightfaerie
Oct 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A great educational book for your children over the preschool age. My 5 yr old loved it. Copyright from 1956 so a little on the old side, and the pictures are a little old but my son still enjoyed it. We've been doing a lot of history, learning about Washington, and the American Revolution, and this was a wonderful addition to our lesson, recommended through our school. It gave some more interesting facts we hadn't learned yet like John Hancock's signature and the liberty bell that my son really ...more
Dolly
Jul 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a good book for children to explain about the origins of Independence Day for the United States. It's a simplified version that doesn't belabor the dates or names, but does explain some of the most important details. We borrowed this book to read closer to the actual holiday, but just read it today (at least it's still July!) We enjoyed reading this book together.
Haley
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book offers a lot of great facts about independence day and how important it was for our country. This book has so much information embedded on each page that I would definitely use this as a interactive read-aloud that was spread out over multiple days. I also think it would be important to include additional visuals and lessons around this topic so students could fully understand.
Heather
This was a great book for my 6-yr-old as it summarized the American Revolution easily and held his attention. My older boys (ages 10) were already past this.

It would be good if you only wanted a brief, readable blurb or wanted something for the younger grades (or for siblings tagging along with their older brothers!)
Luisa Knight
This is a great introduction to the history behind America's Independence!

Dalgliesh does a fabulous job of presenting just enough of the *right* information to keep children from feeling bogged down or bored. Colorful illustrations on almost every spread.

Ages 4-8

#4thofjulybooks
Jenny
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
The girls enjoyed this book about the birthday of our country. It was very informative and easy for them to understand.
John Yelverton
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very patriotic little book which explains the American War for Independence in a nutshell so your children will understand what the Fourth of July is all about.
Gigi
Oct 21, 2012 rated it liked it
A good, basic overview of The Revolution aimed at younger kids.
Stephanie Snyder
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of our family's favorites.
A fun read.
A great choice for every child's bookshelf.
Rachel
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • The World of Captain John Smith
  • Pumpkin Heads
  • The Boy Who Held Back the Sea
  • What's Smaller Than a Pygmy Shrew?
  • As Good as Anybody: Martin Luther King and Abraham Joshua Heschel's Amazing March Toward Freedom
Family: Born in Trinidad, British West Indies; naturalized U.S. citizen; died in Woodbury, CT; daughter of John and Alice (Haynes) Dalgliesh.

Educator, editor, book reviewer, and author, Dalgliesh was an elementary school teacher for nearly seventeen years, and later taught a course in children's literature at Columbia University. From 1934 to 1960 she served as children's book editor for Charles
More about Alice Dalgliesh

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99