Start by marking “Destiny (New Earth #4)” as Want to Read:
Destiny (New Earth #4)

Destiny

(Nomad, #4)

As the Earth plunges toward Saturn, Jessica struggles to decide whether to save the ones she loves, or save the human race.
Published May 26th 2017 by Matthew Mather ULC

To ask other readers questions about Destiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Destiny

Adam
This book was honestly quite a bit of a letdown. Don't get me wrong, it was still fairly exciting and well-paced, but the resolve was honestly just terrible. There's not much worse than finishing a 4-book series and feeling like the ending was sloppy, that it was built up to for a long time and amounted to very little of anything. In my opinion, if you haven't yet started this series, don't bother, because it feels like a waste of time by the end with no payoff.

For example, throughout the series
Steve
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well, I've finally finished Destiny by Matthew Mathers & Lucas Bale. I say that with sadness, not "boy, that's finally done." Having read all four books of this dystopian drama and written reviews on the first three about each storyline, I find myself wanting to reign accolades on these authors rather than the story. By now, you are through Resistance and can't wait to buy the fourth and final chapter in this gripping novel set.
I received an advance copy from Matthew and am hooked on this au
Stachybotrys
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this series, but was a bit disappointed that my suspicions about why the primary protagonist was a woman were confirmed at the conclusion of book 4. Yep, we're all basically incubators, ladies.

But still, good read.
Bob Wilson
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I went back and forth on whether to rate this as a 3 or a 4. It was definitely an improvement from the previous book (book #3 in the series). But with each book I found myself disliking the main character more and more.

There were multiple sentences in this book that were very difficult to understand - either poorly written or a word or two was left out. Normally I'm ok with a typo here or there, but when you re-read a sentence 3 times and are still are unsure what the author means, that's not g
Vicky
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mathew-mather
The Nomad series is based off of an interesting premise that our solar system is briefly visited by two small rotating black holes. The gravity from the black holes tosses the planets out of their orbits which is a major blow to planet Earth and its living occupants. Conditions are not totally inhospitable to life but it is a challenge. The series up to this point focuses on the survival of Jessica Rollins, a former marine and daughter to Benjamin Rollins, a Harvard astrophysicist that was the f ...more
Mike Keller
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A pair of small black holes nicknamed Nomad, tightly orbiting each other, have streaked through the solar system, wreaking havoc on the planets and their orbits.

The outer planets' orbits are radically changed and most of the inner planets were thrown completely out of the system to wander forever through the dark of space. The Earth's orbit is perturbed, tectonic shifts creating earthquakes and tsunamis. The smoke and ash filled atmosphere alters the weather, creating a frozen, violent landscape
Tom
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Like the earlier books in the series, this installment grabs the reader's attention and keeps one's interest. It provides a satisfactory conclusion to the series while leaving open the possibility of a follow-on book/series.

The book also continues the occasional grammatical errors, which seemed more numerous toward the end. Sadly, the intrusion of an unnecessary and glaring factual error also detracts from the tale. In multiple passages, the author mentions operating two P-3 Orion anti-submarine
Tammi
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
The final book in the "New Earth" series left me fairly disappointed and I had to walk away from it for a couple of days before coming back for a review. First, it was a hard read. I think it was overly dramatic and adventurous and it dragged down a few times for me.

I almost gave the book a 3-star review, but decided that it was well written, I liked the characters, and I had enjoyed the journey it took me on. What I did not like was how it all ended. There were too many questions left unanswere
Anthony Kolka
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked the story, it was a good conclusion to the series. The end was largely predictable. There were a large amount of typos and grammar problems. I started highlighting them after I got annoyed with it, largely in the last 30% of the book. I have made those highlights visible if Mr. Mather or someone with the ability wishes to review and edit.

This series was interesting and a good read. The parts with Saturn were especially of interest to me because as a child I had a recurring dream where I
Renee Magrum
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Satisfying end to the series

This book takes us to a surprising end to the ongoing trek Jess and her group have taken around the world in search of a respite from the damage to Earth caused by Nomad. I still like all the characters, even the villains. They are fully developed and the heroes have understandable actions as do the villains. "Destiny" has plot twists that are fascinating and the book had me staying up way later than usual to see what would happen next. If you have read the previous 3
Jack Bezalel
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just a pleasure to seep through the captivating story, caring for Jessica and others she engaged, hooked to the main characters who drive their surroundings into the future they must create, both villains and heroes.
That's a planet disaster novel, with as large of love and care story, full with both futuristic still probable high tech along with the mighty forces of nature and human spirit.
This part 4 was not easy to read because of the never ending struggle and major turn arounds, but still wor
William  Knight
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this four-book series and thought it improved with each new book. I like it when each book in a series ends by wrapping up the secondary plot lines while leaving the main premise open. I really don't like it when a series leaves everything hanging and just continues from where the last book left off. This series falls into the first category, which made me happy.

The books kept me guessing on the main plot right up to the conclusion, which I didn't see coming. I love it when an au
Mary
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Series

I love all of Matthew Mather’s books do far. Cyberstorm was my first read this summer and I’m now hooked. I’ve read Darknet and the Nomad series. He writes in a way that keeps you hooked wondering what’s going to happen next. Very imaginative and engaging. I totally recommend.

The only thing is that I wish I could get his books from the library because my kindle unlimited expired and I have yet to read his other series, Atopia.
Valerie Garza
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story with strong central characters. Very entertaining.

I read all four books in the space of a week and a half. They were well written and fast paced. Twists and turns kept me guessing what surprise was coming up. Jess was a complex and sometimes perplexing character but with real human emotions. The plot was interesting and the ending was a total surprise. Great reads all in all. Thank you.
Janette
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Nicely finished

Although this series lost its way a bit in the middle, it has finished off with a bang! Jess has managed to be nowhere near as irritating in this volume and she finally seems to realise not everyone is a selfish bastard out to get her - even if they didn't tell her everything that was going on from the start. There is plenty of action and political intrigue is still around, even with half the population dead. But things do work out - kind of - in the end.
Diana Galer Jaffe
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The New Earth Series - Amazing Stuff!

The New Earth Series was pretty amazing. The writing and the story line picked up momentum as each book progressed. Very much turned into a "page turner" as one continues through books two to four. I highly recommend reading the first book - Nomad - and you'll find yourself wanting to go through all four books to find out what finally happens. Highly recommended!
Mike
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Twisty to the end

Okay...I mostly wanted to just finish the series. The editing gets a little sloppy towards the end but its forgivable. I want to say that the ending is satisfying but it doesn't seem as well researched or thought out as the first books in the series. Recommended for readers that want a conclusion and don't mind overlooking the lack of polish or attention to detail.
Hollie Gomes
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow is all that I can say!!!

Wow is all that I can say!!! What a ride this series has been. I absolutely loved it!! I really wish it wasn't over. I would love to see another series come out of this story to see what happens in the future. For anyone into post apocalyptic stories, you have to read this series!!
Keith Cannon
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great series comes to an end!

Although there are many misspelled words near the end of Destiny, they did not distract me from finishing the compelling finish of Jessica's story! Twists and turns will keep all of us reading! Well developed characters weave a thrillbound story racing to an always uncertain future!
Jeffrey L
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Twists and turns

5 stars for set of books that just kept getting better as the story evolved. Enjoyed the detail both scientific as well as military. Could have used better proof readers - only criticism.
Signed up for future books... please do a series set in the book's future.
Shelee Whitaker
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read the first book when it came out.

A week ago I came across it again as a 4 book series so I down loaded the first book, surprise surprise I had already read it. I read it again. Then I read all the other books. This was a very good story, now I want to know what happen , to the earth and the Saturn colony. Very good read! Thank you.
Lori Dant
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Whoa! Amazing!

Again, twists and turns..situations normally one would find incredulous are believable in the world post-Nomad. I'm sad to have the series end but hope a new series based on this one will be forthcoming. Truly riveting, suspenseful, gut wrenching and wonderful story. A must read from book 1 to the last one.
Gina Basham
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Surprise ending

I did not see that coming. I thought I knew how it would end. There were several scenarios and I would have been disappointed with them. This took me by Surprise and was a great ending to the series. If you enjoyed the other books you will enjoy this and the conclusion. I can highly recommend. Gbash
Betty Tucker
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Smashing tale of possible future earth

This book is a great ending to the Nomad series. You are never sure how it will end and the ending was very surprising and satisfying. So who is the good guy and who the bad, is finally revealed. A great read for sci-fi fans and anyone else who loves a good suspense novel.
Cherye Elliott
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Destiny

Did not like this series. Yes. I read all four books. Book one was interesting.... the rest left me confused. Nothing was resolved. Very disappointed because I like Matthew Mather's books.
Kristina Trawick
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved the series

What happens when Earth is intercepted by black holes? A frightening, frigid world emerges. From beginning to end, the reader gets the sense of utter fear, coldness and a shred of hope.
Linda
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic

Read all 4 books and enjoyed them so much. Was sorry to read the last chapter knowing it was the end of the journey. Felt like I personally knew the chargers and was on they journey with them.
debbie sharp
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent

Great series. Interesting main characters. The book draws you in and you just can't stop. I got the first one and just HAD to buy the rest. I loved the twist at the end. What a story! I love SIFI and post apocalypse books and this was excellent.
David R
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yet another thrill ride!

I've enjoyed this entire series and this last did not disappoint. The mysteries and unique characters kept me wondering to the end who was the good guy and who the bad. A fun and interesting page turner based on good if scary science.
jessica richard
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great story

I really enjoyed this story! It had a lot of twists and turns to keep it interesting, and the main characters were very realistic. It had a few typos in it but other than that it was a good read!
  • Black Hull (Lost in Spacetime #1-8)
  • Confessions of a School Nurse (The Confessions Series)
  • Creation (Technopia, #1)
  • The Calling (The Calling Chronicles, #1)
  • Battlefield Z (Battlefield Z, #1)
  • The Nova Chronicles: Books 1-5
  • The Doomsday Machine: A Further Astonishing Adventure of Horatio Lyle (Horatio Lyle, #3)
  • The Great Iron War (Books 1 - 3)
  • Critical Strike (Critical, #3)
  • Rune Universe (Rune Universe #1)
  • Thanos: Redemption
  • Mass Hysteria
  • Dystopia (Dystopia, #1)
  • Colorado Winter Moon (Peakview, Colorado, #6)
  • Bearly Deniable (UnBearable Romance, #1)
  • Book of the Fallen (Requiem, #1)
  • The Golden Griffin (The Dark Citadel, #3)
  • Heretic (The Singularity Series, #1)
Matthew is the million-copy bestselling author of CyberStorm and Darknet, and the hit series Nomad and Atopia Chronicles. He started out his career working at the McGill Center for Intelligent Machines, going on to become one of the world's leading members of the cybersecurity community. In between he's worked in a variety of start-ups,everything from computational nanotechnology to electronic hea ...more

Nomad, (4 books)