Start by marking “The Lighthouse” as Want to Read:
The Lighthouse

The Lighthouse

Francisco, a wounded, despairing sixteen-year-old Republican guard in the Spanish Civil War, is trying to flee to freedom by crossing the French border. In his escape, he encounters an old remote lighthouse, far from the warring factions. He is granted shelter by Telmo, the aging operator of the lighthouse. As Francisco recuperates, Telmo's tales of epic adventurers who sa ...more
Published February 1st 2017 by Nantier Beall Minoustchine Publishing (first published April 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Lighthouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lighthouse

David Schaafsma
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
A longish short comics story by Roca (Wrinkles), somewhat inspired by Borges's version of "The Tale of Two Dreamers" from A Thousand and One Nights. Francisco is eighteen, shell-shocked, fighting for the Republican guard during the Spanish Civil War. He deserts, becomes injured, and wakes up in an old lighthouse, tended by Telmo, an old lighthouse keeper, without politics, but joyful and positive where the boy is cynical and withdrawn.

The old man survives by picking up stuff that washes ashore
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
A little gem of a GN that makes you reflect upon what is really important in life - art is so well done - highest recommendation.
dianne
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Very Young man, a child really, signs up as a rifleman so he can wear a uniform and impress a girl. Then the Spanish Civil War starts, before they ever kiss. He fights on the Republican side. We meet him alone, terrified, running; running to nowhere - after that brief Republic is defeated by the Fascists. He awakens in a broken lighthouse.

Young, defeated, flat, without beliefs - dreams are nonsense - his had been to travel the world, but now “There are borders and people who will kill for them.”
Sooraya Evans
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful piece of work.
An 18-year old rifleman with a dull perspective on life crosses path with an eccentric fisherman. As their friendship develops, the young man becomes more and more optimistic right up to the twist at the end.
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a copy of this title from the publisher via Netgalley.

Ten Second Synopsis:
When a young soldier takes refuge in a lighthouse, he learns some valuable lessons from the eccentric lighthouse keeper.

The underlying dark themes of war and violence are reflected in the monochromatic art in The Lighthouse. The story opens on the escape attempt of Francisco, a young soldier who is offered sanctuary by elderly but cheerful Telmo, the keeper of a lighthouse. As Franc
Heather
A graphic novel that has been translated from Spanish to English, it tells the story of a young boy who has unfortunately ended up being a part of the Republicans during the Spanish Civil War, in order to impress a girl, and ends up injured at an old lighthouse. There he meets Telmo, the owner of the lighthouse, who tells him stories of famous sea travelers and his own past. All the while, the Civil War continues and is always present in the background of the story.
I quite enjoyed this graphic
We are touched by major events in our lives, and the lives of our country. The Spanish Civil War seems to have touched artists and cartoonists of Spain like nothing in the US, save, perhaps WWII.

This is a story of one soldier, based on one the cartoonist knew, who was on the losing side, and wanted to escape to France. Along the way he meets an old light house keeper who tells him tales of an island that they must sail to, and so together, as a way of healing, they build a ship to take them the
Jeimy
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A republican soldier is being gunned down by fascists. He is hurt and stumbles his way to a majestic lighthouse. He passes out, has vivid dreams, and wakes inside the lighthouse to find that his wounds have been tended. Setting out to the beach he meets Telmo, the lighthouse's keeper. The older man nicknames the soldier Moby Dick and offers him sanctuary while he recuperates. As the two build a boat using scavenged materials from the sea, their friendship develops.

While I would rate
Emily
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short and sweet story of a lighthouse keeper restoring hope to a lost soldier. I liked the limited palette for the artwork.
Mark Brown
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting story that was played out too quickly.

I felt like the end came up so suddenly and unexpectedly that it dashed my hopes of Moby Dick and Telmo healing their friendship. Telmo's light went out.

Sylvester
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, ebook, war, graphic-novel
Wonderful art, and a rather wistful story.
Derek Royal
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice short work, more akin to a novella than a short story. I first discovered Roca last year through the Spanish Fever anthology from Fantagraphics, and then his Wrinkles which came out about the same time. I like his style, both the art and the storytelling. The Lighthouse might come off as pat to some, but I think it's a sweet story.
Travis Duke
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A touching short story about a young solider feeling jaded and hopeless at the end of Spanish war. He finds refuge at a lighthouse where he finds an older man with a different outlook on life. The art is simple yet beautiful and matches the story wonderfully. Although it is a quick read it has depth and is very touching. I would recommend it to anyone
Wayne McCoy
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
'The Lighthouse' by Paco Roca was such a good graphic novel. This is the kind of book to recommend to people who think comics are for kids.

Francisco is young man fighting for the Republican guard during the Spanish Civil War. He has decided he has had enough and he deserts. He is helped by a lonely lighthouse keeper. The older man lives off of the flotsam that the sea brings him. The old man is joyful, but the young is cynical. The old man sings songs and quotes Moby Dick. He tends t
Theediscerning
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four and a half stars, for a great edition of a very good book. It's a short tale, of a young soldier who knows nothing else, stumbling on an elderly lighthousekeeper, who shows the lad through his determination (and his knowledge of literary quotes) how there is always something worth attaining just over the horizon, should you have the legs (or sails) to get there. The author must have this as a key issue, for the making-of section accompanies an essay regarding all the many small changes he m ...more
Kirsty
Jan 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, january-2017
I really enjoy graphic novels, but have rather shamefully read very little in translation. I love the historical aspects at play within Paco Roca's The Lighthouse, and its setting within the Spanish Civil War. I feel, however, that the situation, as well as the characters, could have been better evoked than they were. Whilst The Lighthouse is clever and engaging in that it crosses genre boundaries - history, adventure, the short story - and the art style works well, there is perhaps less reliance than there should h ...more
Vi
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
RANDOM ASS STORIES I READ and love. I run on the fantastical absurd side of life.
Isa
Gripping and emotional from the start. An amazing story shown through gorgeous illustrations. It has some great metaphors and quotes.
Blair
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nicely done fable about dreams and storytelling set during the Spanish Civil War.
Kristen
Is it possible to write a marine-related book without mentioning Moby Dick? Anyway I loved the old man.
James
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, history, art
A strange fantasy set at the end of the Spanish Civil war. The art's decent and helps the story along.
Zach
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely little graphic novel.
Erika
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Beautiful artwork, nice story. I stumbled upon this while browsing library shelfs and now I want to read more graphic novels by Paco Roca.
Katherine
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well written short story with a message of hope.
JBP
Jul 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Quick lunch read at work about a remote lighthouse and a castaway fleeing the Spanish Civil War and the eccentric lighthouse keeper that pulled him out of raging waters. Very stark artwork.
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, ya, award-lists
Beautiful and lyric story about a soldier and a lighthouse keeper who teaches him to hope again.
Shannon
Short graphic novel. The characters didn't resonate with me, and I was not engaged with the plot. Lots of potential here but ultimately was not a win for me.
Stacie
I wanted to like this one, but it just didn't pan out that way unfortunately. Overall, I was just bored. The art was pretty average, and the story itself was somewhat of a snooze-fest for me personally. I'm glad others found something they liked about it, even if it wasn't my cup of tea.
Oneirosophos
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Sweet but short story.
Jazzy
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic little graphic novel. Though it tells a different story, it has a very similar feel to The Alchemist. A simple, emotive tale told extremely well.

• María y yo (María y yo, #1)
  • Sucktown, Alaska
  • Dead End
  • El arte de volar
  • Terre de rêves
  • City of Glass: The Graphic Novel
  • Le Singe de Hartlepool
  • A Dangerous Year (Riley Collins, #1)
  • Mort Cinder
  • Le chien qui louche
  • The Crabby Condition (The March of the Crabs #1)
  • LMVDM. La mia vita disegnata male
  • Corto Maltese : Mû
  • Il suono del mondo a memoria
  • Stigmata
  • The Creeps
  • Gast
  • Irmina
For english version, please visit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paco_Roca

Francisco Martínez Roca, llamado Paco Roca, es un historietista español, nacido en 1969 en Valencia, adscrito al movimiento de la novela gráfica, que produce para el mercado global. Además de crear cómics, Paco Roca se dedica a la ilustración publicitaria.

Infancia y juventud
Paco Roca nació en una familia de clase media, cuyo padre era el