Start by marking “Chicken Wants a Nap” as Want to Read:
Chicken Wants a Nap

Chicken Wants a Nap

Published August 15th 2017 by Creative Editions

To ask other readers questions about Chicken Wants a Nap, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chicken Wants a Nap

Johnell Dewitt
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sparse text, repeat phrases and ideas, all great for parents and little readers. The ending is unexpected and fun. A good choice for parents and teachers of pre-k--first graders and even older kids who will enjoy the humor and ending.
Casandria
Chicken's day starts out great, then goes back and forth. Lots of fun and simple. Great for storytime!
Rosie
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Chicken celebrates a beautiful day amongst the blooming flowers and peaceful surrounds. As the ground’s warmth touches her feet, she wants to nap, but is irritated when the rain starts to fall. Inside the nearby barn, she escapes the rain and feels the calm and quiet, but when she tries to sleep, the cows noisily wake her. On escaping to the porch of the farm house, she is pleased to find peace away from the smelly, noisy cows and the damp rain, but is unable to nap because the dog starts to bar ...more
Debbie Smith
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
The grass is warm and the flowers are blooming. It's a good day to be a chicken and a good day for a chicken to take a little nap. But as the page turns the reader sees that it's now raining, and with wet feathers, there's no way the chicken can nap.

Sigh! The barn is quiet and a perfect place for a nap, so it's still a good day to be a chicken. MOO! Oops. It's now a bad day since cows are waaay toooo loud for a chicken to sleep. And come to think about it, the barn is too smelly to nap. Ugh!

Oka
Cornmaven
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For those of you who love naps, yet are constantly interrupted in your plan to get one, this book will strike a familiar nerve. Poor chicken just wants a nap, yet every place he tries, someone foils him.

Lots of movement in the illustrations, and I liken the style to Edouard Manet's version of impressionism - not the hazy Monet style, but definitive shapes yet softened.

Chicken finally gets his nap, and the last page ends the story with a humorous note. Great for Storytime.
Juliana Lee
On a rainy day, all chicken wants is a nice warm place to take a nap. Text alternates between chicken having a good day (finds a place to nap) to having a bad day (animals cause her to find someplace else to nap). She finally gets a nap after the rain and after she eats her fill of worms... it's a bad day for worms.
Anna
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
This little book is a hidden gem for storytime. The simple rhythm is a hit for preschool, and the illustrations are hilarious. One of my storytime kiddos acted like a chicken for the rest of the program, and he insisted on checking the book out to read again at home. I'd call that a hit!

Update: 48 hours later, kiddo is still a chicken. You have been warned.
Sherri Ashburner
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tracy Marchini strikes chicken bouillon gold with Chicken Wants a Nap! The simple text is adorable- I can hear the preschoolers squealing with delight as it's read aloud during story-time. The softly-colored illustrations are a perfect match for this most egg-cellent story, sure to be a winner with young flocks everywhere.
Viviane Elbee
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a very quick read, good for short story times.

This text would work well for toddlers and preschoolers, but even young elementary students may enjoy the humor.

The illustrations are more on the complex side.

Kids enjoyed it. They voted to give it 5 stars.
Diane
In the tradition of That's Bad! That's Good, a chicken's day moves through highs and lows, depending on whether the conditions are favorable for a nap.

Love the illustrations a lot!
Audrey
Simple short text with repetitive phrases. I used some puppets with the story and my Twinkle Babies were loving it.
MaryLibrarianOH
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustration good/bad story of a chicken on the farm who wants a nap but can't find the perfect spot.
Brett
Super super cute!!!
Donna Mork
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: opposites
Great illustrations. Chicken tries to nap. Opposites: good day/bad day throughout the book. In the end, it's a good day, chicken gets her nap, but it's a bad day to be a worm.
Elisabeth
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The BEST thing I've read in awhile! SO good. Can't wait to read this in storytime .
Steph
Jan 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Simple but hilarious. And naps are awesome.
Becky
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
As someone who loves naps, I really respect this book. Not a MUST have, but really beautiful illustrations and a solid addition to a library collection.
Valencia
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a cute story, but the illustrations are totally creepy!
Dede Janzen
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is beautifully illustrated. My almost two year old LOVE it. It is a cute book and one that she asked to "read again". Highly recommend this book.
Meredith
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A hilarious and relatable book about wanting a nap and being foiled by outside forces.
Ginny
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My son and I both loved this book. It's a really sweet picture book with a funny twist at the end, and really lovely pictures. My son loved it so much, he suggested a sequel: Worm Wants a Nap!
Lisa Boyd
Chicken can't catch a break, she just wants a nap. I feel for Chicken.

This is a great read aloud.
Angie
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When you want a nap you really need a good napping spot.
Karen
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Adorable. Back and forth goes the chicken but no across the road. Enjoy this "if" story.
CharityJ
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Simple text, animal sounds, and expressive illustrations make for a fun, engaging read aloud. Perfect for the 0-3 crowd.
David
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful little book. Beautiful illustrations. Easy to read with a great surprise ending.
Susan
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was a good day, it was a bad day. With good pacing, large expressive art, and subtle humor, this is perfect for a story time read.
Danna Smith
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A cute book! I loved the surprise ending. This book would be perfect read aloud at story time. Two thumbs (wings) up!
Becky Shillington
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite picture books from 2017. The roller coaster ride of emotions that poor Chicken tolerates just to take a nap is hilarious and SO relatable, and the story ends with a funny surprise twist. Marchini’s text is complemented nicely by Felix’s distinctive illustrations, and the overall “afternoon at the farm” effect is delightful. Definitely an A+ read!

Goodreads Librari...: Combine these two entries, please! 3 14 Jan 06, 2017 12:03PM

• I Just Want to Say Good Night