Start by marking “Ruth Bader Ginsburg: The Case of R.B.G. vs. Inequality” as Want to Read:
Ruth Bader Ginsburg: The Case of R.B.G. vs. Inequality

Ruth Bader Ginsburg: The Case of R.B.G. vs. Inequality

To become the first female Jewish Supreme Court Justice, the unsinkable Ruth Bader Ginsburg had to overcome countless injustices. Growing up in Brooklyn in the 1930s and ’40s, Ginsburg was discouraged from working by her father, who thought a woman’s place was in the home. Regardless, she went to Cornell University, where men outnumbered women four to one. There, she met ...more
Published August 8th 2017 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Ruth Bader Ginsburg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ruth Bader Ginsburg

Start your review of Ruth Bader Ginsburg: The Case of R.B.G. vs. Inequality
Kelli
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love when my children choose books based on what they see I’m reading. Ruth Bader Ginsburg is an inspiration and this book explains the obstacles she had to constantly overcome on each step of her journey. In the words of my son, this was “inspiring.” 4.5 stars
Melki
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ruth Bader Ginsburg didn't set out to be a trailblazer. She became one out of necessity.

Not many women decided to become lawyers in the early fifties, but Ruth chose that career because she knew she had the verbal and analytical skills to handle the job as well as any man. The odds seemed to be stacked against her. When she arrived at Harvard Law School, there were only nine women out of a class of five hundred. She was not allowed to enter the periodical room in the law library because she was
Licha
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. What an amazing woman. I really didn't know much about RBG when I started this. I know there is a recent movie out about her and I'd really love to see it, which is what probably prompted me to read this. I got enough of a glimpse into her life from this book to now say I am a fan. What an inspiring woman. I wish this was one of those books I had read to my daughter when she was growing up. We need such books with great women role models.

Because I'm a crybaby, of course I cried
Montzalee Wittmann
Wonderful book about an inspiring woman!

Ruth Nader Ginsburg:The Case of R.B.G. Vs Inequality goes into the early and private life of Ruth. So many obstacles were in her way, or any female or Jew at that time, to accomplish anything! She never stopped despite the resistance! I did learn a lot about her life! She is one of my female real life heros. I think all girls and minorities should read this.
Claire
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Yes, this is a picture book. But, it's a more enriching way to learn the basics about a historical figure than reading their Wikipedia page.

Maybe my new hobby will be reading kid's books on history so that I can actually learn something without getting bogged down in hundreds of pages of detail that I'm not going to remember anyway?
Earl
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great example why 2017 is the year of nonfiction picture books.*

Presented as a case trial (including exhibits), readers get to know the obstacles RBG faced to get a higher education and to be taken seriously in her profession as a woman-and her mother. Nevertheless, she persisted. Her intelligence, work ethic, and moral compass made her not only a champion of human rights but an icon, as well. A glossary and author's note is included in the back.

The illustrations- even the endpapers-
Karen Witzler
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the better looks at RBG, who is the subject of several children's books. This one was a NYT Best Illustrated Book of 2017.
Nancy
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography, childrens
Inspiring! And with great illustrations!
Ruth
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of kids' book that doesn't talk down to the child. I learned all about RBG's life in a succinct 48 pages. The author took the angle of making it a case of law set out before you.

Intrigued me enough that I've put an adult version of her biography on my reading list.
Joanie
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved reading this to my two sons and hearing their outrage at the discrimination RBG faced. My oldest asked me if I want to be like her when I “grow up.” Obviously! We need more books like this aimed at kids.
Ashley
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I loved this story of RBG. It is perfect for elementary school kids. Beautiful illustrations! A must for my personal book shelf!
Christine
This biography of the 2nd Woman Supreme Court Justice is short and concise (pun intended). Perfect for the elementary crowd with just enough information to pique their interest but not overwhelm them. The bibliography is extensive if they want to learn more or are writing a report. What an amazing woman.
Richie Partington
Richie’s Picks: RUTH BADER GINSBURG: THE CASE OF R.B.G. VS. INEQUALITY by Jonah Winter and Stacy Innerst, ill. Abrams, August 2017, 48p., ISBN: 978-1-4197-2559-3

“You owe it to the job to be a lady
It’s the duty of the staff for to give the boss a whirl
The wages that you get are crummy, maybe
But it’s all you get cos you’re a girl”
--Peggy Seeger “I’m Gonna Be an Engineer” (1972)

“The median salary for women working full time is about 80 percent of men’s. That gap, put in other terms, means women are
Kifflie
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think this is a very clever way to tell RBG's story to kids -- by making her life and career one long "case" against inequality. Being female, and Jewish, she had two strikes against her from the start. But she also inherited some fierce determination and resilience from her mother, and Ruth's brilliance could not be denied. Even now she keeps fighting against a reactionary majority on the Supreme Court as well as the cancer that sidelined her briefly in 2009.

The book is also beautifully
Peacegal
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely, inspiring look at a very strong individual. Readers of all ages will learn something and hopefully reflect on why we need people who dissent and question in our world. Just because it's the majority opinion doesn't always make it right!
Erika
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
What an insightful picture book biography! I loved learning so much more about RBG. I also like how Winter tells Ginsburg’s story using legal jargon in an age-appropriate way. The gouache illustrations are perfect and there aren’t better endpapers to accompany this book.
Heidi
A powerful look at the second female Supreme Court Justice ever appointed and the numerous obstacles she had to overcome to get there.
Brenda Kahn
This is quite the year for RBG biographies!
Pam
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Don’t skip the author’s note in the back
Julie
My favorite line in the book is actually from the author's note: "When asked how many women on the Supreme Court would 'be enough,' she responds: 'When there are nine.' YES!" The author and illustrator do thorough, informative work in distilling the essence of who Ruth Bader Ginsburg is: lawyer, mother, wife, daughter, legal scholar, justice, feminist, and "symbol of justice in America." This New York Public Library Best Illustrated Book of 2017 is certain to inspire girls and women to overcome ...more
Chris
This seemingly tiny woman is a powerhouse. I love hearing her speak when I see her on Facebook or on the tv. Smart, Fair. And, unfortunately getting older. Born in 1933, that makers her somewhere in her 84th year, and still going strong! Highly recommended to school age kids AND adults!
Wendy
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, non-fic
I saw the documentary RBG and am now kind of obsessed with her! Loved this kids biography. Interesting how they really have to explain that women didn't go to college or have jobs in the 40's & 50's because things are so different today (thank goodness!!).
Cristine Williams
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book for grader schoolers to learn more about this amazing woman.
Alyx Campbell
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Yes yes YES. If you were underwhelmed by "She Persisted", try this one instead. This one is perfect.
Suzanne Dix
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome! Girl power!
Lynn
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent biography of the quietly determined Ginsburg who just kept pushing to do what she wanted to do despite constantly closing doors. Winter's text and Innerst's strong illustrations do an excellent job of presenting this truly remarkable woman to youngsters.

I especially like the structure of showing the many examples of the inequality she overcame as evidence in a court case.

The end papers are SO cool - I'd love to have a print of that ;-)
MaryLibrarianOH
It had me at the end papers - images of the spines of many, many books. Like it is presenting a court case, this book tells the life story and major accomplishments of RBG in her journey to the Supreme Court.
Gofita
I had a great time reading this to G. He had questions and opinions and we had some good discussions about how women have been and continue to be treated as well as other people who are discriminated against. The illustrations are beautiful and really worked with the story.

Overall, it was a great introductions into RBG and the influence she has had on law in America.
Fumi Agboola
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: elm-335
BIOGRAPHY: This book illustrates the life of Ruth Bader Ginsburg. As a Jewish woman, she overcame many obstacles to make history, including discrimination. Although she'd become a lawyer to prove that she was equal to men, she also "became a symbol of justice in America." In my future classroom, I would use this book for a lesson regarding important women in history. I think students can learn a lot about Ruth Bader Ginsburg and how she helped shape history for women. In addition, it can be used ...more
Hayley Sullivan
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
Biography

This incredible book is a biography of Ruth Bader Ginsburg and can be used in grades 1-4. This book is written by acclaimed author Jonah Winter and is a New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Book- illustrated by Stacy Innerst. This book was a WOW book for me because of the story it told, the story of a brilliant woman overcoming an absurd amount of obstacles to get where she is today. The topic of women empowerment throughout history is one that resonates with me so I became
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Town Is by the Sea
  • A River
  • King of the Sky
  • Malala's Magic Pencil
Jonah Winter is the celebrated author of many picture book biographies, including Barack, which was a New York Times bestseller. His books include Here Comes the Garbage Barge, Sonia Sotomayor, Roberto Clemente, and more. A poet and a painter, Mr. Winter divides his time between Santa Fe and a small town in Pennsylvania.