Jump to ratings and reviews

In the Kingdom of Gorillas: Fragile Species in a Dangerous Land

When Bill Weber and Amy Vedder arrived in Rwanda to study mountain gorillas with Dian Fossey, the gorilla population was teetering toward extinction. Poaching was rampant, but it was loss of habitat that most endangered the gorillas. Weber and Vedder realized that the gorillas were doomed unless something was done to save their forest home. Over Fossey's objections, they helped found the Mountain Gorilla Project, which would inform Rwandans about the gorillas and the importance of conservation, while at the same time establishing an ecotourism project -- one of the first anywhere in a rainforest -- to bring desperately needed revenue to Rwanda. In the Kingdom of Gorillas introduces readers to entire families of gorillas, from powerful silverback patriarchs to helpless newborn infants. Weber and Vedder take us with them as they slog through the rain-soaked mountain forests, observing the gorillas at rest and at play. Today the population of mountain gorillas is the highest it has been since the 1960s, and there is new hope for the species' fragile future even as the people of Rwanda strive to overcome ethnic and political differences.

384 pages, Paperback

"

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 14 of 14 reviews
Profile Image for Kayla.
146 reviews4 followers
August 27, 2017
Spectacular merging of cultural anthropology, primatology, and conservationism. Appealing, interesting read on multiple facets.
Profile Image for Matthew.
944 reviews
May 24, 2012
After hearing Weber and Vedder give a fascinating talk at the American Museum of Natural History, it was only a matter of finding the time to read their account of working with endangered Mountain Gorillas in Rwanda. Besides discussing the gorilla populations, the book covers the Webers’ initial work with Dian Fossey at Karisoke at Parc des Volcans in the Virunga Mountains, the growing problems with work with the erratic Fossey that forced them to set up the Mountain Gorilla Project (Hence the split, that still exists to this date, that results in there being the Mountain Gorilla Project, a conservation program meshed with eco-tourism and local economic sustainable development programs, and the Dian Fossey Fund (originally the Digit Fund) that funds work on gorilla research.), and the struggles with the growth of MGP, as well as gives details on Rwanda, including a personal perspective on the ethnic tensions that led to the genocide in 1994. The book is a fairly quick read and is recommended to all who want an understanding of our close cousins, the Mountain Gorillas, as well as to those who want to read about a modern-day conservation success-story or are looking for something positive to read about Rwanda after reading Gourevitch’s harrowing We Wish To Inform You that Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families: Tales from Rwanda.

Profile Image for Krissy.
321 reviews24 followers
November 21, 2017
I picked this up to see more of Dian Fossey & her gorillas. In it I found the gorillas and their growth. Weber and Vedder give a far more detailed picture of life at Karisoke, life in Rwanda, & about various conservation projects. They discuss the need for education in conservation and how they attempted to tackle that. There is a section about AIDS. The last part of the book covers the Rwandan genocide and how outside foreign countries contributed to setting the stage for it as well as ignored the plight of these people. I liked the fuller picture of the country here that I didn’t find in Mowat’s work (which was a biography on Fossey) or in Fossey’s work (which was more descriptions of active conservationism & gorilla discussions).

I could have done with out the Dian Fossey trash talk. They basically paint her as an inept drunk with no interests other than her own self interests. The attack on her character probably had some kernels of truth to it. I mean, in her own autobiography Fossey does admit to kidnapping a poacher’s child in the name of conservation. That said, they presented a lot of speculation with their comments on her character.
Profile Image for Rebecca.
91 reviews5 followers
January 20, 2008
This book had me completely riveted. Reading the authors' stories about their life with the mountain gorillas of Rwanda must be the next best thing to being there - possibly better, because it's warmer and dryer here at home, and they write quite well. I was seriously inspired by their unflagging energy and dedication, in the face of endless obstacles, to developing realistic conservation plans that are good for wildlife and also for Rwanda and its people. I was also fascinated by their cultural experiences as Americans in Rwanda. I am glad they devoted quite a bit of space to Rwanda's history and the events leading up to the 1994 genocide; I read those parts with great interest, and they also served to underscore that many conservation efforts must contend with difficult social and political contexts. Be warned: some parts of this book had me crying on the bus. Tears literally rolling down my face in public!
Profile Image for Susan.
1,313 reviews
January 19, 2019
Fascinating. Not just about Rwanda and gorillas but also good explanation of forest management and needs of citizens.
Profile Image for Lydi B.
46 reviews
May 29, 2021
Took me a while to get through this—not because it wasn't intriguing, but I didn't expect a hefty dose of Rwandan culture alongside the beloved gentle giants of the forest. Thanks for that.
11 reviews
April 25, 2012
Recently reviewed from reading at least 8 years ago. It definitely left an impression and an ambition to get to Rwanda (which I have now done).....if you are going to Rwanda or want to, or you are interested in great apes and/or conservation I definitely recommend this book. It is a great acount of ecotourism in action and being successful.
Profile Image for Amanda.
17 reviews
February 10, 2012
I read this book at a time when I was really into primatology, Dian Fossey and Jane Goodall studies, etc. I particularly liked the last section of the book where Veder and Weber dig deeper into the tribal conflicts and ethnic genocide in Rwanda.
Profile Image for Rachel Johnson.
16 reviews1 follower
August 31, 2007
probably only interesting if you're going to see gorillas, or if you just have an unhealthy obsession with gorillas.
Profile Image for Jess.
14 reviews1 follower
February 28, 2008
Interesting and heartbreaking - will make you want to go live in the jungle with gorillas. Also gives a unique perspective of the murder of Dian Fosse and the Rwandan civil war/genocide.
7 reviews
September 20, 2008
Hands-down the most enlightening book about wildlife conservation I have ever read. It changed my thoughts and my actions.
Profile Image for Sandra.
544 reviews2 followers
January 13, 2015
Great background for a trip to visit gorillas in Ruanda.
Displaying 1 - 14 of 14 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.