Start by marking “Not Now, Not Ever” as Want to Read:
Not Now, Not Ever

Not Now, Not Ever

(The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You #2)

The sequel to The Only Thing Worse than Me Is You, inspired by The Importance of Being Earnest.

Elliot Gabaroche is very clear on what she isn't going to do this summer.

1. She isn't going to stay home in Sacramento, where she'd have to sit through her stepmother's sixth community theater production of The Importance of Being Earnest.
2. She isn't going to mock trial camp at
Published November 21st 2017 by Wednesday Books

To ask other readers questions about Not Now, Not Ever, please sign up.
Jeni No - but I'd definitely recommend reading Oscar Wilde's "The Importance of Being Earnest" first - it's a quick, fun read, and while this book doesn't …moreNo - but I'd definitely recommend reading Oscar Wilde's "The Importance of Being Earnest" first - it's a quick, fun read, and while this book doesn't draw much directly from TIoBE, you'll understand the references to Gwendolyn and Bunburying better.(less)

Start your review of Not Now, Not Ever
Sherwood Smith
Jun 17, 2017 added it
Shelves: fiction
This YA novel with a romantic thread is every bit as wonderful as the author's previous. This one features protagonists mostly seventeen, the summer before senior year of high school. Elliott has sneakily signed up for a summer camp for smart nerds, given at a college that has a famous science fiction section. Her mother expects her to stay with family tradition and go into the military; her step-mother and lawyer father are horrified at the idea and want her to stay close.

So she runs away . .
Jen Ryland
Not Now, Not Ever read at times like sort of a nerd Hunger Games, as a bunch of competitive, gifted kids compete for a college scholarship in the intense and hilarious way that only nerdy kids can. (As a former Academic Decathlon participant, I'm not embarrassed to admit that I know a tiny bit about intense nerdy competitions.) Though I AM embarrassed to admit that I was the Literature specialist in Academic Decathlon and I don't remember one single thing about The Importance of Being Earnest wh ...more
Stacee
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t even read the synopsis for this book. Between that cover and Lily’s name attached to it, I was sold.

I love love loved Elliot. Her inner monologue is snarky and fantastic. She’s smart and strong and truly delightful. I don’t even know what to say about the adorable-ness that is fluent in French Brandon and I’m absolutely ready for a story with Leigh as the MC. Ohh and I was borderline maniacal with glee when I saw Ben and Trixie again.

Plot wise, it was fun. There were a lot of pop cult
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
4.5 Stars
“I was ready to be comfortably in the middle of a story instead of running toward the end. I was done trying to outpace myself.”

This was such a fun book! There was drama and laughs and lots of fantastic banter - everything you could want from an Wildean-inspired tale. Not Now, Not Ever follows Elliot Lawrence Gabaroch as she reinvents herself as Ever Lawrence, and sneaks away to a genius camp for a chance to win a scholarship to her dream school. Ever’s love of scienec ficti
Olivia Chanel's Galaxy of Books
Thank you, St. Martin’s Press, for my ARC of Not Now, Not Ever. I received this ARC in exchange for an honest review; this does not affect my opinion. Any quotes mentioned below are taken from the ARC and are subject to change upon publication.

I have fallen in love with Not Now, Not Ever by Lily Anderson. This book is funny, adorable, and perfect for anyone interested in a nerdy romantic comedy. This diverse contemporary young adult story is about Ever and her summer at a competitive camp for ge
Samantha (WLABB)
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 Stars

This was so much fun! I loved Elliot/Ever and her band of nerdy geniuses, and THAT's how you do an ending.

This was one of my Can't-Wait Wednesday picks, and I must say, I had chosen well, because this was such a fun and delightful read. The synopsis does say this is a sequel, but my understanding is it's more of a companion. There are characters featured from Anderson's last book, which I am definitely going to read, but I did not feel out of the loop reading this book, without
Hollis
NOT NOW, NOT EVER was.. not what I was expecting. I had completely forgotten this was a sorta-sequel, definite-companion, to THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN ME IS YOU. So seeing some familiar faces a few years on from Anderson's debut was a total delight and I loved all of them so much. I loved the concept of this genius camp that had an almost HUNGER GAMES-style competition, but nerdy and sans death; I loved all the characters (seriously, all of them, that almost never happens) that made up Elliot's ...more
Dahlia
So fun and cute. I love that Anderson has totally made "Nerdy Rom Coms Based on Classics" her skillful niche. Really liked the military angle to Ever's background, too, as well as the family and racial dynamics. Also, calling it now that Ever will realize she's bi in college.
Fatma
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
What can I say? It was fine. The main character was fine, the plot was fine, the love interest was fine. Just...mediocre. Don't really have anything else to say about this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Claire (bookscoffeeandrepeat)
While it took sometime for me to get into the story, it ended up becoming something that I wasn't expecting: fun and hilarious! Probably the best contemporary I've read this year. The only thing that's lacking is a Quidditch match!

**Full review now posted in my book blog!

Note: I won this book in a goodreads giveaway but this does not, in any way, affect my review. All thoughts are my own.
Silvana [The Book Voyagers]
Thank you to Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for the egalley. All opinions are my own.

Lily Anderson wrote a nerdy contemporary YA and it was the best thing in the world. Now I know I have to read the one before this one because the ship (and various characters) appear in this book but OLDER. So they're in the age of NA and that makes me want to scream so I want to read it because I just know I'll love it a lot.

I also loved this one a lot obviously *stares at rating* I'm a sucker for nerdy roma
Kelly
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH MY FACE HURTS FROM SMILING SO HARD AND ALSO MY PHONE’S STORAGE IS IN JEOPARDY WITH ALL THE SCREENSHOTS OF PERFECT LINES. YOU WILL LOVE IT.
Beth
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This is really good. It's good because of its protagonist, who is fabulous: believably smart and warm and and funny and an interesting person and a good friend:
I didn't want to go into law like my dad. I didn't want to sell real estate. I didn't want to enlist the second I left high school.

I wanted the one thing that would unite all of my parents against me. I wanted to go to Rayevich College, the only school in the country with a science fiction literature program. I wanted four years of classe
malayna
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, favorites
MY OPINION: *****

This is going to be a short review because I'm supposed to be doing other stuff and instead am procrastinating :)

This is the companion novel to one of my absolute favorite books, The Only Thing Worse Than Me is You that I recently read.

I really loved this book as a whole. It wasn't quite as amazing as the first book but it wasn't faulty in the slightest.

The characters were cute and smart. I like characters who possess a brain and the ability to actually think because that is so
Mandy
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
*I was provided an e-ARC of this book from the publisher - thanks so much for sending me over a copy!!*

I absolutely loved Anderson's prior novel, The Only Thing Worse Than Me is You, which was a contemporary, geeky retelling of Much Ado About Nothing, one of my favorite classics ever. It featured a geeky Beatrice and Benedict in a genius school. It was so much fun and for a while, it hung out on my favorites shelf...until I kind of forgot everything about it? Well, good thing, I went and bought
Sophie
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher via NetGalley. This in no way impacted on my view.

The Only Thing Worse than Me Is You was one of my favourite debuts of 2016, and when I heard that their would be a sequel, albeit following different characters but linked to the prequel, I couldn't wait. Again, this was a case of forgetting all about having an ARC, and it was only recently that I remembered I had a copy of Not Now, Not Ever, so I thought it was time to give it a go.

Not Now, No
Katy Noyes
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The geek shall inherit the earth

Anderson's first 'had me at hello' - a contemporary teen story based on my favourite Shakespeare comedy (much like Ten Things I Hate About You), set in a high school. A high school for genuises. So it really was a geek-fest of epic proportions, celebrating intelligence and wit.

I was absolutely prepared to break out the popcorn and feast for a second time of more of the same. And Beatrice and Benedick (or their modern counterparts) even feature as secondary charact
Ana
It's like "Starter for Ten", but with a much more interesting protagonist. The romantic plot was ok, but what really made this book for me was Elliot and how she tries to figure out her path, torn between going into the army or furthering her sci-fi education in colleague.
Thamy
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley2017
3.5 rounded up to 4 stars.

I really liked Anderson's style in The Only Thing Worse than Me Is You and was excited to see what had done ever since. I don't regret it. I only pity the fact that it took me finishing the book and checking again the first one to notice there were many characters that had made a comeback. Now I'm super sad.

I guess my experience proves how this can be read as a standalone.

Tired of being in the middle of a family feud on what her future should be, Elliot has changed her
K.
Trigger warnings: some minor violence, minor racism/ableism/sexism (all of which is called out). I think that's it!

17/4/2019
I stand by everything I said last time. This is stinking adorable, although I do wish the "YOUR FAMILY EXPECTS YOU TO JOIN THE AIR FORCE" plot wasn't as present as it is, because it makes me incredibly uncomfortable.

25/11/2017
4.5 stars.

I was RIDICULOUSLY excited about this book when I found out it existed a couple of days ago. And I was ridiculously excited for two reaso
Jodie "Bookish"  Cook
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
Book Review
Title: Not now, Not ever
Author: Lily Anderson
Genre: YA/Family/Romance
Rating: *****
Review: In the opening chapter of Not now, Not ever we meet Ever as she runs away from home to attend Camp Onward where she could get a full scholarship to Rayevich College, her dream school. She is also a huge reader and has an inner voice that she named Oscar Wilde. She also meets Cornell Aaron who is buddy to help her through the three-week summer school but in learning why Ever has run away we also
Christiana
This didn't feel as tight as Anderson's first, both in terms of the mystery (could anyone have figure this out on their own?) and things that were left without answers (without giving anything away, Brandon and Leigh's futures), but I have to hope that this is mostly because Anderson plans to continue with these characters in the future and I just have to be patient. Overall, the writing and story were good enough that I shirked most things to read instead and if that's not a win, I don't know w ...more
Isaiah
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
To read more reviews check out MI Book Reviews.

I got an ARC of this book as part of the Goodreads First Reads program.

I got this book back in 2017, I distinctly remembering being beyond excited and sending mass amounts of texts about winning a copy. Then for some unknown reason (i. e. my inability to read books in the order that I plan) it sat on my shelf, then in a box, then back on my shelf. I managed to buy a house and move before I managed to even crack this book open. I know that because w
Donna
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lily Anderson wrote a great story about "nerdy' teenagers who entered a contest of sorts at a select college, Rayevich, in Oregon.

Elliot Gabaroche, a 17 year old girl is desperate to be on her own during the summer and not be pushed off to some military camp for the summer. Her mother is in the Air Force and has followed in the family's footsteps. Elliot does not want this for herself.

She wins a chance to go this college in Oregon and takes a train there. Family thinks she is elsewhere. She give
Lisa
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley.

Lily Anderson did it again - she blew me away with her book. Her adaptation of classics into modern times are very well written and funny and fluffy and just charming my pants off. This time, she adapts Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest. I haven't read this play yet, though I've been meaning to for quite some time, and now, after reading this book, my desire to read it burns through me, renewed.

I have missed the adorable and nerdy geniuse
Xanthe
So, I’ve been entering Goodreads giveaways for years now, sometimes two or more a day, and after winning absolutely nothing since I started, I won two book giveaways in one week! First up is Not Now, Not Ever which I was delighted to win after I so thoroughly enjoyed The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You by the same author (I also won Jane, Unlimited by Kristen Cashore, review forthcoming and then, a week later, won a giveaway from my local library for a Kindle!!! Time to buy a lottery ticket!!!)

E
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
I'm beginning to really love this author. The only reason this isn't four stars is I'm still not sure how I feel about the ending, BUT the rest of the book is magnificent! The characters, how they view the world, the detailed minutiae she includes which adds richness to the world building, also the diversity should get a shout out too!
Aimie
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a cute, fun, and hilarious book to read!
Lisa Simmons
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really fun, smart story that defies categorization. A little mystery, a little romance, a lot of whimsy. I'm certain if you're more familiar with The Importance of Being Ernest, you'll catch lots of references there, too. You should definitely give this one a read. I'll be looking for the author's other books. Enjoy!
Brooke Banks
Today is the day I finally get to tell ya'll how much I love Not Now, Not Ever by Lily Anderson. After all my nerdy fangirl gushing, there's a giveaway and a tour to follow for more Not Now, Not Ever adoration, so please stick around!

I read Anderson's first book, The Only Thing Worse Than Me is You  last year, where a minor set-up believability issue and not really caring about the mystery it earned it 4 stars.

Neither of those are problems here and it continues with adorable geeky romance that I
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Fake It Till You Break It
  • This Train Is Being Held
  • If I'm Being Honest
  • By the Book
  • Famous in a Small Town
  • Lucky Caller
  • Senior Week Crush (Summer Love Book 2)
  • Hearts Made for Breaking
  • Moment of Truth (Love, Life, and the List, #3)
  • Prince in Disguise
  • Always Never Yours
  • The Map from Here to There (The Start of Me and You, #2)
  • The Chaos of Standing Still
  • Once Upon a Comic-Con (Geeks Gone Wild Book 3)
  • The Prom Kiss (Briarwood High Book 5)
  • Starry Eyes
  • Senior Week Kiss (Summer Love #3)
  • The Holiday Kiss (Briarwood High Book 4)
Lily Anderson is the author of THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN ME IS YOU, NOT NOW NOT EVER, and UNDEAD GIRL GANG. A former school librarian, she is deeply devoted to Shakespeare, fairy tales, and podcasts. Somewhere in Northern California, she is having strong opinions on musical theater. Find her online at www.mslilyanderson.com ...more

The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You (2 books)
  • The Only Thing Worse Than Me Is You