Start by marking “Pride and Prejudice and Mistletoe” as Want to Read:
Pride and Prejudice and Mistletoe

Pride and Prejudice and Mistletoe

2.67  ·  Rating details ·  4,329 ratings  ·  1,117 reviews
Pride and Prejudice and Mistletoe, from New York Times bestselling author, Melissa de la Cruz, is a sweet, sexy and hilarious gender-swapping, genre-satisfying re-telling, set in contemporary America and featuring one snooty Miss Darcy.

Darcy Fitzwilliam is 29, beautiful, successful, and brilliant. She dates hedge funders and basketball stars and is never without her three
Published October 17th 2017 by St. Martin's Press

·  4,329 ratings  ·  1,117 reviews

Start your review of Pride and Prejudice and Mistletoe
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
2.5*
This was okay. It was cute enough, a fun and quick read, but it didn’t have a lot of substance to it. I felt at times like I was watching a Hallmark movie while at other times I really appreciated what was being said (particularity about Darcy being an independent successful woman). This was super festive so it fulfilled that point, but everything seemed to happen out of the blue which was very odd. I have pretty mixed feelings essentially!
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
RATING 3.5 STARS

Pride and Prejudice and Mistletoe is the first book I have read by Melissa de la Cruz. This is a modern day retelling of the classic, Pride and Prejudice.

Darcy Fitzwilliam is a twenty nine year old woman from Pemberly, Ohio that fled small town life to make her fortune in New York in the financial district. And she was successful. She is a multi millionaire and works hard. It has been eight years since she’s been home to see her family in Pemberly. She and her father had parted
Dec 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017-books
HO HO HO...ly Cow. I can't believe I didn't DNF this one.

This modern-day, gender-swapped version of the classic has about as much charm as Alvin & the Chipmunks singing "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" -- on repeat.

NOTHING about this story makes sense:
- Our 29 year old female protagonist (Darcy Fitzwilliam) is continually hounded by friends and family for not being married. Um, hello! This is 2017, not 1950.
- Darcy is supposed to be a mega multimillionarie hedge fund manager, but acts like
Bethany
Oct 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book had a great premise, and I really liked the idea of gender-swapped characters as an interesting twist! Sadly, it was terrible. Just, terrible.

Honestly the writing was just bad. I have never read any of this authors books before, so perhaps I just don't like her style of writing, but the whole time it felt like a book written by a preteen who was trying to imagine how adults behaved. This book is shelved in teen, despite all the characters being in their late 20s/early 30s, and it's pr
Erin
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: november-2018
I read several reviews for this book and everyone said they hated it. So I had low expectations but I actually liked it. Maybe its because I've never read Pride & Prejudice or maybe its because I rate Christmas books much more kindly then I do other books.

Darcy Fitzwilliam our "heroine" is just awful. I wanted to drown her or run her over with a car the whole time I was reading. She is snobby, self centered, petulant, and condescending. At first I thought maybe its just me that feels that way b
Carrie
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Darcy Fitzwilliam is twenty nine and extremely career orientated much to the dismay of her family. She doesn't like heading home to visit and getting the same old treatment of when she'll settle down and get married and would much prefer to continue to throw all of her attention at her career. However when Darcy gets a call to tell her that her mother has taken ill she immediately head back to Pemberley, Ohio to see to her mother and spend the holiday season with her family.

After Darcy arrives
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

According to my profile page I am currently reading TWENTY-FOUR books. That is a boldface lie. I NEVER read more than one book at a time and since I was on vacation all last week I wasn’t even listening to an additional book to count as a plus one. I’m starting to tackle Mount Need To Review with this one because the Hallmark nonstop Christmas movies are my kryptonite and not only did this happen . . . .

But then the EXACT. SAME. D
Paige
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
lmao I hated this. I'm also convinced this was ghost-written or was never edited.

I gave it two stars because it was so much fun and so easy to make fun of it.

This had so much potential to be so awesome and amazing but instead it was rushed, full of plot holes, and so many redemption arc's that I constantly felt like I was on a swinging ferris wheel that would never end.

This was more a story of privilege being constantly thrown in other people's faces and less about Jane Austen's original story
Kate
Nov 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Using the names Darcy and Bennet does not Pride and Prejudice make.

This was full stop terrible. Oof. Just...oof.
Jess Johnson
Oct 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
This was bad. Real bad -- though, yes, I did still read it.

I have a soft spot for Pride and Prejudice adaptations. Every now and then one I find one that's well written and it conjures up just a little bit of the same magic I felt when reading Pride and Prejudice for the first time as a teenager. This, however, is not that book.

I liked the idea of the a gender swap but nothing could save me from the insipid characters. It felt like someone read the book cover of P&P and was like "oh they don't
Jen Ryland
While I liked the idea of a gender-swapped Pride and Prejudice, and there were things about this I liked, I don't think it had all the emotional depth or the romantic feels of the original.

Darcy Fitzwilliam is a 29 year old partner at the second largest -- or was it second most-successful? Or both? -- hedge fund in Manhattan. She's the third wealthiest woman under the age of 29 in Manhattan. (Not sure who keeps track of that but ohhkkay....)

After her mother takes ill, Darcy rushes home for the f
Kat
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Full Review: Thank you so much to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for providing me with a copy of this delightful “Pride and Prejudice” retelling by Melissa de la Cruz to read and review. I absolutely adored it! This super-cute retelling features a female Darcy Fitzwilliam and a male Luke Bennett, along with a delightful modernized cast of characters that give this a great 2017 twist.

We all know the story from Lizzy Bennett’s perspective… where Darcy is aloof and believes himself entirely too g
Cori Reed
Dec 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was probably the most poorly written book I have read. Ever. I thought at the beginning it might be campy fun, but nope. I just can't get behind this one.

On the plus side it was very short.
TheYALibrarian
Jan 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF 30%

I could not get into this one and De La Cruz did not really try to make the character's more original and modernized version of Austen's characters. I should have not bothered I really do not like De La Cruz's writing and this one was no different.
Joana
One of the most annoying main characters I have ever read about.
Lauren
Oct 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Darcy’s an ass and she doesn’t get better

Let’s start with the positives, shall we? A genderflipped Pride and Prejudice is an interesting idea, as is swapping around the names of the guys from Pride and Prejudice so they still go by Darcy (now female) and Bingley (still a guy and gay). The Bennet boys are now Luke, Jim, Kit, and Lyle, and Darcy has three brothers who I’ve already forgotten because they don’t matter.

Bingley and Jim Bennet are adorable. They get a meet cute and fall head over heels
Callie (BeverageandBook)
I’m not usually hard on books, but I regret this one. The entire thing felt sloppy. *womp womp womp*
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
If you are one to pick up a few fluffy holiday reads, then Pride and Prejudice and Mistletoe will definitely put you in the holiday spirit. The story is a unique retelling of the classic, with its gender swap. However, there isn’t much substance to the plot.

I am a huge fan of holiday books, so when I first heard about this book, I was really excited. It is quite a short story, which is something that actually draws me into a book like this because it is one that you can pick up and read quite qu
Romie
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Definitely not the best way to start the month. Let's be honest: it was boring and so unimaginative.
It reads pretty quickly, that's a fact, but does it read pretty fast because it's good or because there isn't much to the story? Second option unfortunately.

Pick the most basic contemporary you've ever read set in a small town in America, and that's it, that's the book.
There is no chemistry between Darcy and Luke, the side characters are a bunch of clichés, we know nearly nothing about Luke who's
Stephanie
I received a copy of this title via NetGalley. It does not impact my review.

I love a good holiday romance and I love Pride and Prejudice re-tellings, so Pride and Prejudice and Mistletoe looked like it would be perfect for me. While it was a fun read, it ended up falling short of my (pretty high) expectations.

I loved the idea of a gender-swapped Pride and Prejudice. I can’t think of any other re-tellings I’ve read that took that angle. I also like the idea of getting Darcy’s POV instead of Eliza
Konstantin
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
Saccharine, predictable, thoroughly clichéd - had I read it just a month ago, I would have been more than happy to trash it with a single star, but right now I appreciate its fluff and festiveness. The parts of the original were integrated into this in a really smart fashion (e.g. the Darcy and Lydia affair), and I loved how so much of it wasn't even about romance.

Who'd say I'd love a chick-lit, huh?
Emily
Nov 14, 2017 rated it did not like it
I am so, so disappointed by this. I've read a few reviews where people say that you shouldn't compare it to the original because of course nothing can live up to it. But the thing is, the author left the original title in the title of her book! How can you not compare!? This isn't just a story that's "inspired by" Pride and Prejudice, it's a retelling with a bit of a twist.

Now, I love the idea of the gender-swapped Lizzie and Darcy. I think that it's a really interesting idea and could have sta
Sophia
I saw this book last year and was intrigued by a modern gender-bender holiday Pride & Prejudice variation and also was interested in trying this author's books for the first time. But, didn't get around to it until now thanks to a remarkable blessing known as my sister in law gifting it to me.

This was one of those variations that takes great liberties with the classic it is based on. In fact, that is the first adjustment someone looking for Jane Austen will need to make, quickly. But, the good n
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Festive Spirit and Family Drama

TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Modern-day Adaptation of Pride and Prejudice

SETTING: Pemberley Ohio, almost Christmas

MAIN CHARACTERS:

- Darcy Fitzwilliam: An independent, wealthy, but lonely hedge fund investor who left her hometown and didn’t look back eight years ago.
- Bingley Charles: Her best friend from high school who moved to LA to be an actor.
- Luke Bennet: Darcy’s childhood arch-rival who works in Pemberley as a carpenter.
- Carl Donovan: Darcy’s on-again-off-aga
The Nerd Daily
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Originally posted on The Nerd Daily | Review by Anita

If you throw a classic love story into a pot, add a few unexpected twists to the mix, and sprinkle it with some Christmas cheer, some familial angst, and some naughty bits, that’s pretty much what this book is all about.

Pride, Prejudice and Mistletoe by Melissa De La Cruz is as the title suggests a Christmas-themed spin on Jane Austen’s classic novel Pride and Prejudice. This novel however, also features some interesting gender-swaps and it is
Bookread2day
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pride and Prejudice and Mistletoe. A very pleasant read to get all excited ready for Christmas. For the past eight years Darcy Fitzwiliam has lived in New York. Now after eight years she has returned home to Pemberley, Ohio, to see her mother who has had a heart attack. Her parents house is decorated with festive ribbon and of course hanging from the chandlers is fresh mistletoe. How exciting Darcy has arrived home just in time for annual Christmas party. At the party she meets her old neighbour ...more
Anna
Dec 10, 2017 added it
Shelves: austenesque
A modern-day, gender-bending Pride and Prejudice told from the point of view of Darcy Fitzwilliam, who reminded me more of Emma Woodhouse than Mr. Darcy. It was an entertaining book, but I wish I had gotten to know Luke Bennet more and saw more of their relationship than kissing under the mistletoe.
Cori
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
In the realm of shallow, predictable chick stories, we have something along the lines of: Hallmark movies and then Pride and Prejudice and Mistletoe and then Twilight (which yes- bad- avoid at all costs).

I don't typically go for one-dimensional romantic stories. But growing up, my mom constantly had a Hallmark movie on from Thanksgiving to Christmas. So, tragically, I've fallen prey to the nostalgia that kicks in this time of year for intentionally sappy, flat romance movies/books with cringewo
Helen Power
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, christmas
I was pretty disappointed with this book. It's a gender-swapped Pride & Prejudice that does not stay at all true to the source material. I thought I would be able to relate to Darcy-a career-oriented woman--but it seems like she's only career-oriented because she likes money. Sigh.
2 stars.
Full review coming soon.
Sissy Lu {Book Savvy Reviews}
Oct 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance, retelling, 2017
I am a huge Pride & Prejudice/Austen fan, so I was anticipating a modern-day retelling of P&P – because I lap them up! Austen fans can be rabid and I consider myself fairly easy going in several ways [in regard to reading.] That being said, this book was disappointing.
I did expect more from this.

Darcy moved away from Pemberley, Ohio to New York City to make something of herself and to move out from under her overbearing father. She became a successful businesswoman, being part of the number one

• An Island Christmas
  • Waiting for Tom Hanks (Waiting for Tom Hanks, #1)
  • Meg and Jo
  • Christmas in London
  • Royal Holiday (The Wedding Date, #4)
  • Tweet Cute
  • The Afterlife of Holly Chase
  • We Met in December
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • Unmarriageable
  • American Royals (American Royals, #1)
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • Pride, Prejudice, and Other Flavors
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • The Honey-Don't List
  • 25 Days 'til Christmas
  • The Wedding Party (The Wedding Date, #3)
  • One Day in December
Melissa de la Cruz is the New York Times and USA Today best-selling author of many critically acclaimed and award-winning novels for teens including The Au Pairs series, the Blue Bloods series, the Ashleys series, the Angels on Sunset Boulevard series and the semi-autobiographical novel Fresh off the Boat.

Her books for adults include the novel Cat’s Meow, the anthology Girls Who Like Boys Who Like