Start by marking “Glass Houses (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #13)” as Want to Read:
Glass Houses (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #13)

Glass Houses

(Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #13)

4.30  ·  Rating details ·  38,744 ratings  ·  4,690 reviews
When a mysterious figure appears in Three Pines one cold November day, Armand Gamache and the rest of the villagers are at first curious. Then wary. Through rain and sleet, the figure stands unmoving, staring ahead.

From the moment the creature's shadow falls over the village, Gamache, now Chief Superintendent of the Sûreté du Quebec, suspects it has deep roots and a dark p
Published August 29th 2017 by Minotaur Books
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about Glass Houses, please sign up.
Vintage274 There are online sites such as Netgalley and Edelweiss in which you provide a reader profile and request titles. Of course, publishers want to sell bo…moreThere are online sites such as Netgalley and Edelweiss in which you provide a reader profile and request titles. Of course, publishers want to sell books, so they allow ARC digital copies to go to people who review frequently and/ or have book blogs. In other words, the more you spread the word, the more likely publishers are to grant you access to advance copies.(less)
Carol I hadn't read any of her other books before reading this one. It was obvious these characters had had other adventures in the past that led them to th…moreI hadn't read any of her other books before reading this one. It was obvious these characters had had other adventures in the past that led them to this point but I didn't feel like I was missing anything that was vital to understanding this book. Some could argue that I wouldn't know what I'm missing, but I can say, missing the previous books did not lessen my enjoyment of this book.(less)

·  38,744 ratings  ·  4,690 reviews

Start your review of Glass Houses (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #13)
Cathrine ☯️
5 🥐 🥐 🥐 🥐 🥐
So you’re a fan and you’re starting to get stressed.
How much longer can the author keep our hero sustainable?
Or perhaps you’re superstitious and thinking #13 could mean bad luck rather than a baker’s dozen.
How many murders can one small town suffer?
How many times can you enjoy a cafe au lait with a warm croissant dripping butter?
I know.
As long as she keeps writing we will continue to turn the pages and be hungry.

This one was exceptional, the best one yet; she’s taken it to a higher l
Diane S ☔
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The less said the better since I don't want to give anything away, so my review will be very brief. I will say fans of this series will not be disappointed, this one may well be the best so far. A hard thing to accomplish in series of this length. Gamache will put everything on the line. Something old will be mixed with a current scourge in many countries, has reached epidemic proportions, and is hurting and has hurt many. Ruth, my favorite, and her duck get a somewhat larger role and more of he ...more
Linda
No murder. No Gamache.

The Cobrador: A tall, hooded figure robed in the midnight hour of black takes its position in the village center of Three Pines. The chilled November wind swirls around this individual who neither moves nor gestures to another soul.

High in the Pyrenees in 1841 a cobrador's presence signified a debt to be collected. Who is the cobrador eyeing for the recompense of something owed? And is it in the vein of money due or a kettle of moral debt never repaid?

Armand Gamache, Chief
JanB
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
It pains me to do this, as this is one of my favorite series, but I can't give it more than 2.5 stars (fair).

With a new Penny book I settle in to spend time with my favorite characters in the quaint village of Three Pines. The books have always been as much of a character study as a mystery, and it’s one of the things I’ve loved about the series.

Unfortunately, this one just didn’t work for me. I didn’t care for the opioid epidemic theme, and although the book opens with a murder trial, the vict
Jaline
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"There is a higher court than courts of justice and that is the court of conscience. It supersedes all other courts." ~Gandhi

In this 13th book of Louise Penny’s “Inspector Gamache” series, the peaceful village of Three Pines is being threatened by something menacing. A tall figure stands still and silent in the village square wearing a black robe and black mask. Menacing just by virtue of its dark presence, like a personification of Death itself.

The stories of the cobrador of Spain tell of a
Esil
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars rounded up to 5 stars.

It's that time of year again, Armand. Labour Day weekend, and we get to spend a couple of days together...

Last year, I went gaga over Louise Penny's annual dose of Armand Gamache and the folks in Three Pines. This year's fare was lovely, but I can't quite give it five stars because I didn't love the end. But, still, I remain a true fan, wishing I could stumble onto the village of Three Pines, have a croissant and cafe au lait at the bistro while meeting my favouri
Paula
What a disappointment. I’ve enjoyed this series from the start but the last two books have been so far fetched. The previous book was about the small town, Three Pines, finding a huge war cannon in their forest, and Glass Houses, is about conscience. I dislike it when a series goes way off the mark and steers into different territory. I just want to read about a good old murder and listen to Gamache quote some poetry.

3 out of 5 stars.
Laura Hill
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
In this installment of the Inspector Gamache series, he tackles the drug cartels and the fentanyl crisis (which we are reminded frequently kills 50 people for every kilo sold) all out of the seemingly peaceful sanctity of Three Pines. Meanwhile, a disturbing, hooded figure takes up residence on the Village Green and silently stares, bringing a sense of forboding to the sleepy town. Modeled after a Cobrador, or Conscience with a capital C, everyone in the Village feels certain it has come for the ...more
Matt
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Louise Penny continues to impress with new and exciting story angles to enrich this already alluring series. Fans of these novels will surely find something here to whet their appetites or at least provide something with which they can relate. On the night of the Three Pines Hallowe’en celebration, many of the townsfolk notice a mysterious figure dressed in black. He stands in the town square, not speaking, but his menacing glare cannot be missed. Soon identified as a cobrador del frac, this man ...more
Brenda
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was disappointed in the first half of this book. There are strangers in Three Pines. Anton is a dishwasher working in the bistro, and Jacqueline works in the boulangerie even though her talent does not include making baguettes. There are also two married couples, including Lea who has known Myrna since childhood. They have annually visited Three Pines for a few years. This will not be the wonderful visit with old friends that I expect.

There is a Cobrador, a masked, black-robed and -hooded figu
Liz
Apr 01, 2018 rated it really liked it

It’s All Saints Day and a person robed all in black appears in the center of Three Pines. Speaking to no one, he just stands. What is he meant to represent?

Penny’s work is always convoluted. This time, maybe more than previously. Scenes flip back and forth between a court case where you don’t even know the defendant is and the time leading forward from the figure arriving in Three Pines.

This isn’t just about a murder though. Gamache, in his new role as chief Superintendent of the Surete, is goi
Phrynne
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5000-books
I am going to give this one five stars. Out of the thirteen books so far in this series this has to be one of the best.

Since the last book Armand Gamache has moved on to higher things and now he is Chief Superintendent of the Quebec police. Glass Houses commences in court with Armand giving evidence against an accused murderer. In Penny's usual fashion she makes the reader wait for most of the book to find out who this murderer is. In fact we spend a lot of the time in the dark as Penny and Gam
Barbara
Sep 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: bayb-2018

In this 13th book in the 'Chief Inspector Armand Gamache' series, the detective is trying to destroy a drug cartel. The book can be read as a standalone.

*****

Armand Gamache is now Chief Superintendent of the Sûreté du Québec, which he's spent years ridding of entrenched corruption. The Chief Superintendent is now fighting another battle - aimed at containing the drug epidemic that's ruining (or ending) so many lives.

Gamache is coordinating much of the drug war from the village of 'Thre
Kevin
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was so very excited when I found this book on my holds shelf at the library. I ran through the first 100 pages and then found my lovely wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. I couldn't find the time nor the desire to pick up this book, I believe because I almost felt guilty reading this brilliance while my wife suffered through surgeries and then started chemo. I travelled this past week for work and enjoyed this book like the rest of Penny's masterpieces. I've paid a month's late fees (I sho ...more
Brenda
The Halloween party had most of Three Pines’ residents present so the stranger stood out. But it was the following morning when that same stranger was spotted, standing completely still, watching the village. As emotions escalated between the residents, Armand Gamache, newly in the position of Chief Superintendent of the Sûreté du Québec, was wary. Within two days the figure, masked and dressed in black, had vanished and hours later a body was discovered…

Gamache, Jean-Guy Beauvoir and Isabel Lac
Carolyn
I think this might be one of the best yet in this series. It's a bit of a slow burner and should definitely not be tackled unless you have read the rest of the series as you really need to be familiar with the village of Three Pines and those who live there to get the most out of it.

After cleaning out the corruption from the Sûreté de Quebec's training Academie, Chief Inspector Armand Gamache has accepted the job as Chief Superintendent of the Sûreté. He realises that the police are losing the b
Lori
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm attached to this series. I like the Three Pines and Sûreté du Québec regulars.

I know, a drunken old poet, an untidy artist, a charming gay couple that run a B&B. Just don't tell the cliche police. Ruth and the Archangels were great.

Like a lot of good readers, I was as interested in Louise Penny's personal loss as her latest novel. Still Life came out in 2005, but a feel like I've known her longer.

Whitehead, (Dr.) Victor Michael B.A., M.A., M.D.C.M., C.S.P.Q., F.R.C.P.C (born April 10, 193
Margitte
SUMMARY
It was the month of November. Conscience, the Cobrador, entered Three Pines, and with the unseemly rainy, sleety weather for days, which seemed to seep right through the clothing, skin and pooled in the bones, quarrels broke out in the bistro over trivial things. They haven't seen the sun for days, felt like weeks, months, perhaps forever. Guests and inhabitants alike were stressed, the nerves frayed, tempers short.

Someone in Three Pines did something so horrific that a Conscience had to
Lo9man88
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think i could be surprised by our dear author again, but my God was i surprised and nicely so ;
Gamache crossed a big line ! Our beloved police chief applied the famous saying that "the end justifies the means" by letting thousands of people die in order to draw the evil to him and cut his head so to speak , it was a huge gamble for him: everyone was turning against him and the popo ... It was an incredible story and as always three pines is at the center of it ... A very suspenseful tal
Karina
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Everyone who seems to "know" me here has read me saying over and over how I absolutely am horrible at following a series. This is proof. Random library pick. #13 book of the Armand Gamache series. Never read a book by Penny and here I go picking up #13. And I liked it. A lot.

There were waaaayyy too many characters though, but I get it. He's a cop and it happened in his village with people he knows.

It was a bit farfetched with stopping the cartels entirely but she made the storyline work. I was
Elvan
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant.

Unique to the series, Glass Houses opens with Armand Gamache on the witness stand giving evidence in a murder trial. It is July and the courtroom is stifling hot. His recounting of the events which led to a murder in Three Pines the previous November bring chills to those in the courtroom. Armand is often interrupted by the prosecuting attorney and his actions leading up to the murder are questioned. It becomes apparent to the judge that all is not as it appears. Gamache is a witness
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it

A conscience - we all have one, but do we know what may be on another person's conscience or even on ours that may bother us?

When a hooded figure appeared on the green in Three Pines and stayed without moving for three days, all the residents were tense and wondered what he was doing there. Did the hooded figure date back to the historical Cobrador who collected debts?

Armand Gamache, Chief Inspector, kept an eye on the figure and could do nothing within his powers to remove him. But...why is Arm
L.A. Starks
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Helga
Feb 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, series, crime
“How many murders start in the distant past. They have time to fester, to grow. To become malformed and grotesque.”

I have enjoyed almost every book written by Louise Penny. I have come to love the characters and even envy their cozy and peaceful lives in the village.
But Glass Houses was no fun to read.

There was too much embellishment. Too much teasing with too little action. Too much philosophizing. Repetition of the same situations, sometimes the same dialogues. Confusing plot and timelines. R
Jeanette
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Those who forgive Louise Penney all her writing idiosyncrasies and adaptions to 3 Pines will like this one more than I. But STILL, after hearing so much hype and yet not reading reviews! Well, it was not a read that hit the lows of #10 and #11 (those were for me slogs- pushed myself to finish)- but at the same time I don't think Glass Houses comes at any point within one star of her best which were mid series. When Armand Gamache was doing procedural homicide police work and the series was myste ...more
Tanja Berg
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: murder-mystery
Rating 2* out 5, that is, a disappointment from what is one of my favorite detective series. Unfortunately, there is something deeply annoying about the way Louise Penny writes that I struggle to see beyond.

"This was closer than she'd ever been to him, and for a more sustained length of time. The deep scar at his temple was still tehere, and always would be, of course. As though the job had branded him. Close up, she could see the lines radiating from his mouth. And eyes. Life lines. Laugh lines
Jim

I had mixed feelings about this latest book in the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series. The story opens in a place we do not normally see Armand. It is July and he is on the witness stand testifying in a murder trial. Who is the defendant? Who was the victim? We are left in the dark. But there is something else going on. Gamache and the Chief Crown Prosecutor seem to be adversaries but it seems to be part of some grand plan. Again we are kept in the dark.

Flash back to the previous Nov
Marty Fried
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
As usual, I won't bother summarizing the plot, as many others have done this; also, the plot is not the most important factor for this series. However, there are plots (multiple), and both are very elaborate. But my rating is mainly based on my pleasure in once again being around the "family" in Three Pines, and some of the basic philosophies brought out by them, especially Inspector Gamache.

He has such deep sayings, such as "No man is as bad as his worst deeds". This guides how he does his job
☮Karen
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up

"There is a higher court than courts of justice and that is the court of conscience. It supercedes all other courts." Mahatma Gandhi

The 13th book in the Armand Gamache series deals a great deal with our conscience and how the conscience can make you feel or act out. And that's about all I'll say about the plot to avoid spoiling it for anyone. Timely and highly inventive on Ms. Penny's part, although I felt it got a bit complicated (and a tad drawn out) toward the middle. Not
LJ
First Sentence: “State your name, please.”

It is a very hot July day in Montreal and Chief Inspector Gamache is testifying in a murder trial. The previous Halloween, a figure in a black robe and mask has stood for several days on the green. It didn’t speak, rarely moved, and finally disappeared. The decisions and actions of Chief Superintendent Armand Gamache will impact far more than the people in the courtroom.

The story opens in a courtroom. What is interesting is that we have no idea as to w
Play Book Tag: [Fall Flurries] Glass Houses, by Louise Penny. 4 stars 1 5 Oct 31, 2019 07:19PM
Cranbury Public L...: Aug 15 - Glass Houses by Louise Penny 1 13 Jul 26, 2018 11:02AM
adult audiobooks 6 26 Apr 29, 2018 01:50PM
Plot 2 46 Oct 30, 2017 04:06AM

• A Share in Death (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #1)
  • The Dutch House
  • The American Agent (Maisie Dobbs, #15)
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • Olive, Again
  • Louise Penny Inspector Gamache Series Reading Order Checklist
  • The Punishment She Deserves (Inspector Lynley #20)
  • The Witch Elm
  • To Die But Once (Maisie Dobbs, #14)
  • The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
  • In This Grave Hour (Maisie Dobbs, #13)
  • Birds of a Feather (Maisie Dobbs, #2)
  • All Shall Be Well (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #2)
  • The Golden Tresses of the Dead (Flavia de Luce, #10)
  • Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1)
  • In the Bleak Midwinter (The Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries #1)
  • Leave the Grave Green (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #3)
  • The Night Fire (Harry Bosch #22; Renée Ballard, #3; Harry Bosch Universe, #32)
LOUISE PENNY is the author of the #1 New York Times and Globe and Mail bestselling series of Chief Inspector Armand Gamache novels. She has won numerous awards, including a CWA Dagger and the Agatha Award (seven times), and was a finalist for the Edgar Award for Best Novel. In 2017, she received the Order of Canada for her contributions to Canadian culture. Louise lives in a small village south of ...more

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #1)
  • A Fatal Grace (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #2)
  • The Cruelest Month (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #3)
  • A Rule Against Murder (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #4)
  • The Brutal Telling (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #5)
  • Bury Your Dead (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #6)
  • A Trick of the Light (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #7)
  • The Beautiful Mystery (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #8)
  • How the Light Gets In (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #9)
  • The Long Way Home (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #10)