Start by marking “Microbiota and the Masses” as Want to Read:
Microbiota and the Masses

Microbiota and the Masses

Moena lives in a world of her own making, sealed off from the deadly pathogens of Bangalore in her own personal biome. But when she meets Rahul, a beautiful man working to clean up his city, her need for him draws her into danger. She will risk her health and her work to satisfy her lust for Rahul, and may find love along the way.

At the Publisher's request, this title is
Published January 11th 2017 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Microbiota and the Masses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Microbiota and the Masses

Start your review of Microbiota and the Masses
Anish Kohli
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Anish by: Vishakha ~ ReadingSpren ~
Whaaaaaaaaaat? What an unexpected nice read!!

Shoutout to Vishakha, for recommending this lovely story!!

This is too short a story for me to review it. The setting of the world and the likelihood of it coming to pass feels all too real! I really enjoyed the writing style, especially the portion where craziness sets in for Moena. The narrative was especially good in that portion and I could feel her starting to lose it. I really liked Moena.

The scientific parts were done really well. They weren’t
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
2.5 stars for this free online Tor.com short story. Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

In Bangalore, India, pollution has become an ever-increasing problem that affects the health of the people living there. Moena Sivaram, a brilliant and wealthy young bioremediation scientist who is especially vulnerable to the many deadly pathogens, has created an airtight home, her own individual biome, that protects her health but seals her off from the rest of humanity as well as from microbes. When
Jayanth
As cheesey as a 'love' story can get I guess. I will give extra credits to the author though, because the title cover says "a love story" and not a sci-fi short story. I read it because my reaction to coming across this book was "An Indian author had a SFF short story published by Tor? That's awesome, I've got to read that!"

The sci-fi setting and elements are good, although I'd have liked reading more descriptions about the setting and what was wrong with it.

The best thing about the short
Peter Tillman
A romantic SF-fantasy in a near-future Bangalore. It's, well, pretty silly and over-the-top, but still kind of fun. Tadiana's is the real review to read, if you don't mind minor spoilers: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Story link: https://www.tor.com/2017/01/11/microb...
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-fiction
3.5* - really liked the topic of this one! Felt a little rushed near the end.
Joe
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
An unusually metaphorical story, with a standout message that I am just a tiny bit too ignorant to grasp. To summarize: presented as being like a carbon copy of Robert C. O'Brien's post-apocalypse story Z for Zachariah, with a small revision in that contamination is spread through people, specifically communicated by microbiota, so that the only way for our protagonist to avoid infection is to cut herself off completely from human contact. A concept easily oversimplified - or treated too ...more
Nadin Adel
Jan 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: novel
Wasn't my cup of tea. Although the book cover is pretty much magnificent!

“When you’re of age, Moena, we’ll find you a nice boy to marry. Or you’ll find one on your own, but keep this in mind: men desire women who can stand up to them and still remain short. They don’t want women who are smarter or wealthier or more famous. Better that you forget boys and marriage until you have your own measure.”
Tani
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful story of love for not just another person, but for our planet. I'm still thinking about it the day after I finished it.
Morgana
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Primeiro objetivo da maratona alcançado.

Este conto sensacional de uma cientista com agorafobia e uma doença em que ela não pode ter contato com o mundo esterno e vive em seu ambiente artificialmente produzido até que se sente sexualmente atraída/apaixona por um carinha. O jeito como a autora conta tudo isto é perfeito.

#conto4 #janeiro #maratona24htlt3
Che Adventure
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Review included in a wrap-up video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWj7J...
Rahul Gurav
Feb 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting short story !!
Astrid
Jan 20, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5*
Dylan Benito
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Microbiota and the Masses was weird and sweet and I loved it.
rivka
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awww, I loved this! We'd have a squeaky-clean planet if all environmental cleanup were this romantic!
Liz
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5*
Karen Siddall
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Moena lives alone in her experimental biome. She hasn't touched another human being in 5 years. When the handsome Rahid comes to her home to reprogram a malfunctioning SmartWindow, she finds that her interest in getting to know him better overcomes her fears of leaving the safety of her home and reconnecting with the outside world. Once outside though, her desire to help her fellow man keeps her coming back to help at a local water source.

This quick story is so full of feeling. I was aching for
Marco
Jan 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I really like this story, I wish it had a more satisfying endings. Moena is a scientist, that lives in a world of her own making, sealed off from the deadly pathogens of Bangalore in her own personal biome. But when she meets Rahul, a beautiful man working to clean up his city, her need for him draws her into the danger of outside. Will she risk her life work, her health, and her life, to follow her heart?
Zac Wood
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Would rate higher than a three... but not a full four. A bit too... esoteric? I felt that the writer assumed a bit too much about my ability to know the characters and the world and the narrator's inner workings. It is good. I recommend that you read it. It is not amazing and I won't reread it anytime soon (but not never).
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks-online, sff
So very lovely.
Christine
Jan 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
Interesting short story. I like this author and she always leaves me wanting more. This story was okay.
Fiona
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was odd, but beautiful - one of the free shorts Tor offers, and very worth the time taken to read it.
Ab

• A Cup of Salt Tears
  • This Is How It Took Place: Stories
  • A Human Stain
  • Mental Diplopia
  • Extracurricular Activities (The Machineries of Empire, #0.5)
  • The Tallest Doll in New York City